Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Lights? How many strands?

:light:

alakona you will like the way it looks! OMG 75 cents! way to go

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

I am not sure what color lights I will put on my green tree this year or if I will even put it up. But I would like a tree in the bedroom but hubby argues no to that. I like the multicolored lights the best though. I love lots of colors on my tree.!
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

the professional say 10 lights per foot NOT 100 lights per foot! You should not mix strands unless they are from the same manufacturer, and the same model aside from color. Each manufacturer's strands vary in voltage and wattage, as well as power requirements. It can be unsafe to mix.

Quote Originally Posted by tlazer View Post
    the professionals say it's 100 lights per foot
    Also mixing lights is great . If you have clear or white lights put those in the middle.the rest on the outside.It gives the tree a 3d look

Ya I agree with you tlazer, the 3D look is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by MelindaB View Post
    the professional say 10 lights per foot NOT 100 lights per foot! You should not mix strands unless they are from the same manufacturer, and the same model aside from color. Each manufacturer's strands vary in voltage and wattage, as well as power requirements. It can be unsafe to mix.
    It is 100. If you put 70 lights on a tree you probably wouldn't be able to see them. Even if you put the big lights for outside I don't think 70 would be enough. I always put at least 800 on my 7 1/2 ft tree. I now have a pre-lit that has 800 on a 7 1/2 ft tree.

Quote Originally Posted by MelindaB View Post
    Melinda, I think you may have misread this source because 10 lights/foot doesn't make sense. Sorry!

I would say that 100 lights per foot is a good rule of thumb for the average tree. However, not all trees have average proportions. Some are narrow, which would require less lights. Others are very dense and have a generous diameter - and for trees such as this, more lights per foot would be necessary. Dense and large trees tend to 'eat' lights. *munch*

Or you might want more for the sake of more! 700 lights on a 7' tree wouldn't be bright enough for me. Take a look at my 7' tree (dense and large - about 60" in diameter). This one has 1600 lights on it.

Beautiful tree.

My last tree was 68" diameter and I used about 1500. My tree now is 58" and not as full and it came with 800 which seems to work for it. That is true it all depends on the tree, but I love lots of lights.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyskyfish View Post
    Melinda, I think you may have misread this source because 10 lights/foot doesn't make sense. Sorry!

I would say that 100 lights per foot is a good rule of thumb for the average tree. However, not all trees have average proportions. Some are narrow, which would require less lights. Others are very dense and have a generous diameter - and for trees such as this, more lights per foot would be necessary. Dense and large trees tend to 'eat' lights. *munch*

Or you might want more for the sake of more! 700 lights on a 7' tree wouldn't be bright enough for me. Take a look at my 7' tree (dense and large - about 60" in diameter). This one has 1600 lights on it.

Beautiful tree!

Thank you Christmasplease and Donna!

I really like the tip in this thread about weaving the lights as the branches are installed. The tree in this pic (Treeclassics btw) is a non-lit tree with branches that have to be individually put into holes. I'm going to try this tip because it's hard to weave lights from branch base to tip after all the branches are installed.

(Fyi - I noticed that Treeclassics did away with this type of tree. Mine is an older model. Now I think all their non-lit trees have hinged branches. )

:tree:

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyskyfish View Post

Well, really, they do not look like 1600 lights!!! I thouht they couldnt be more than 1000!!
    Anyway, nice tree my friend, I like the grees trees, too.

See Im a little traditional with Christmas..
    I love red and green combination for Christmas!! In my tree, I have big red bows on.
    I attach it, so, you could tell me how you like it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by olga; 09-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    And so, as Tiny Tim observed, "God Bless us!! Everyone!!''
    A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens (1843)