Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your photos! 2

Mike, your tree was gorgeous!

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Question, when are you supposed to put up your outside Christmas lights? We live in Canada so we don't want to wait until it's too cold, but this year my neighbour looked at me kind of funny when we put them up.

You can put them out anytime you want! No I'm serious I see people who keep their lights up all year! But most people put them out in November possibly the week before Thanksgiving, or the week of Thanksgiving or the first week in December. At least that's what I've noticed around here. Put them up when you feel like it, who cares what your neighbors think (unless you are close with them, then maybe I should have kept my mouth shut!)

Quote Originally Posted by Christmasplease View Post
    Question, when are you supposed to put up your outside Christmas lights? We live in Canada so we don't want to wait until it's too cold, but this year my neighbour looked at me kind of funny when we put them up.
    I put ours up anytime after Hallowe'en. I try to hold out for a fairly "warm" day, since it takes me so long. It's not good when I wait until after Thanksgiving, because it never fails to be freezing with a wicked wind chill. I just want to have them up and be able to light them on December 1st.
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    I put ours up anytime after Hallowe'en. I try to hold out for a fairly "warm" day, since it takes me so long. It's not good when I wait until after Thanksgiving, because it never fails to be freezing with a wicked wind chill. I just want to have them up and be able to light them on December 1st.
    Thank you Mistletoe and gummgirl! My problem is I DO care too much about what people think. Last year we put them up right after the U.S. Thanksgiving and my neighbour commented. They're not mean, they joke about it but I know what they're thinking. Since it's my Husband who puts them up, I have a much better chance of them actually getting up as long as it's not too cold. So.... I will have him put them up anytime after the second week in November. That's it, and I'm sticking too it!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Christmasplease View Post
    Last year we put them up right after the U.S. Thanksgiving and my neighbour commented.
    I'm surprised they gave you a hard time after Thanksgiving. Did you light them right away? A lot of people here have their trees up the day after Thanksgiving and there's at least one house that has their lights lit on Thanksgiving Day. A bit too early for me, but I know it's because they just can't wait. Since you don't celebrate our Thanksgiving, does your country's "official" Christmas season start Dec 1st?
    The holly's up, the house is all bright, The tree is ready, the candles alight; Rejoice and be glad, all children tonight.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Mistletoe View Post
    I'm surprised they gave you a hard time after Thanksgiving. Did you light them right away? A lot of people here have their trees up the day after Thanksgiving and there's at least one house that has their lights lit on Thanksgiving Day. A bit too early for me, but I know it's because they just can't wait. Since you don't celebrate our Thanksgiving, does your country's "official" Christmas season start Dec 1st?

Actually, I don't think we have an actual date. I know some houses around here put them up right after Halloween. I think I'll tell my Husband to put them up but not to light them until Dec.1.

I find it strange too that comments were made after Thanksgiving. Because sometimes people go to look at Christmas lights around that time.

We always begin decorating the day after Thanksgiving...There's nothing like coming home after a busy morning of shopping and getting out the Christmas decorations! We usually start indoors first, but our outside decorations are up by December 1 and I start lighting them that day. No need to wait! There's only 24 days until Christmas!
    PumpkinJack81
    Bob, Forum Moderator
    AllThingsChristmas.com