Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Lights? How many strands?

Mixing Lights? How many strands?

What do you guys think of mixing lights? I got some multi-colored ones on clearance, and already had 2 packs of clear. (My ornaments are red & green.) My tree is 7.5 ft tall. I just got it on clearance too and I am not even sure how many lights it will need to look good. Probably more lights is better. But are there any specific guidelines? I want to get all I need right now, instead of waiting til fall and paying full price!

:tree:

the professionals say it's 100 lights per foot
    Also mixing lights is great . If you have clear or white lights put those in the middle.the rest on the outside.It gives the tree a 3d look

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

they say that if you had all clear lights, you don't need as many as if you had all colored lights. tlazer is right; they do look great together like that, with both on the tree. Also, I have tried wrapping a string of multi-colored down the length of the trunk, and then put clear lights on the rest. I like to have lights throughout the tree, from top to bottom and from the trunk to the tips of the branches. I like a LOT of lights, and I have a 7 1/2 ft tree also. I *think* I put on at least 10 strings of lights, maybe even 12. but, just put on whatever looks best to you. I think most of my strings have 100 lights, each. I also like to hang ornaments throughout the tree. I even put some broken ones, (with broken side down and not showing, near the trunk because they can reflect light, too. and yes, when you put lights and decorations throughout the tree, it does give a beautiful 3-D effect.

:light:

WOW steph! from the trunk to the branches?want to do mine next year?LOL which do you like best the colored lights around the trunk then the rest clear or just colored or all clear?

Quote Originally Posted by tlazer View Post
    WOW steph! from the trunk to the branches?want to do mine next year?LOL which do you like best the colored lights around the trunk then the rest clear or just colored or all clear?
    it varies; depending on my mood that year, lol. I have done all or mostly clear for the past few years, but was thinking I might have either mostly multi-colored or half and half for Christmas 2009. Oh, and since I have had an artificial tree for several years now, (the kind that you have to hook each bough, row by row) I first put up the trunk, then wrap a string of lights down it, then I attach the boughs, starting with the bottom, one row at a time, and string the lights as I go, so before I start putting the next row up of boughs on, I have the lights already on the row or layer of boughs underneath. I found it is much easier to put the lights on this way. So, the most difficult part is doing the top section, since this already has the branches attached. btw, when I say I put lights on from the trunk to the outer tips of the branches, I hope you know that I don't mean that it is all literally covered in lights, lol. but, yes, I do string them along the entire branch, as well as down the trunk. And I don't know if you read an earlier post of mine (don't remember which thread) but I also have a Christmas tree light dimmer that I plug the lights into, and with that, I can choose from 4 different degrees of dimness, the dimmest setting being more like candlelight. Hey, I just had an idea as I am babbling on and on, lol. I think I will buy a couple more dimmers, and this next Christmas, maybe I'll put clear lights throughout the tree and also multi-colored lights throughout the tree, and then if I want to turn on just clear, or only colored, or both, I can. anyway, I will find a way to do it. And this dimmer is NOT a timer, and each one costs about $20.

Gee Steph your good!.I'll try to remember the dimmer for next year.That's probably why I am always not too sure if I should go with clear or night.They are bright! With the dimmer I can tune it down a bit.

just do a google search for Christmas tree light dimmer. click on dimango website link and you'll find the dimmers there. It is a small, white plastic box that plugs into an electrical outlet and attached to the white box is a longish, thin, green-coated wire that has a flat, bronze bell ornament on the other end. You plug your lights into the white box (I think you can plug in about 4 strings per dimmer, according to the instructions, but I only have 2 dimmers, so I plugged in more lights than it says to) then, to change the dimness setting, you just touch the bell ornament.

Thanks Steph!

Thank you, tlazer! That helped! I went to Wal-Mart after work today and bought 400 more lights because all I had was 350 (yes, I vastly underestimated!). All they had left was the 50 ct packages though, so that was kind of unforunate, but maybe I will the 100 ct packages at a different Wal-Mart at some point in the near future. At one Wal-Mart I found 150 ct 16 function lights for only 75 cents...and I only bought ONE box!!! *slaps self*

I'm going to try the clear lights in the middle with multi-colored lights on the outside thing too!