Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Tree's of the 50's

Quote Originally Posted by onemagicalchristmas View Post
    thanks for the links I love those types of trees. I would love a real tree but who can afford $40.00 for a tree. plus I put mine up in October so real ones wouldn't hold up that long!
    I have a recipe for the budget problem - I get only 1 or 2 new ornaments every year, and sometimes they're even handmade i.e. recycled old ornaments (for example this year I figured I have 2 old glass balls and will apply cotton balls to them, making snowball ornaments). That way I can have a natural tree every year. I also don't have two dozen sets of lights (I have just two sets), and for a sparse tree you really don't need a lot of ornaments altogether. I also find some pinecones and other free stuff (my old ceramic figurines, dried flowers etc.) and transform them into ornaments. I also don't have a color scheme and the lights are multicolored, so combining that with a natural tree makes it impossible to decorate exactly the same way two times (there are no two identical natural trees).

And regarding you decorating the tree early on, well, I heard of people who bought trees with a root (common thing here) and planted them in a pot before decorating. After holidays they just took the whole thing on the balcony or in their garden, watered and nurtured during the year and had the same tree not just next year, but even for 5 years in a row! Of course there's no gurarantee that every tree will live like that, but they say it's worth a shot.

that would be an idea. I will give it some thought. I would love to have a real tree. I love the smell of the pine needles.
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

yea i remember christmas trees always being the same

I remember when you could get a good tree for $20.00 but now they cost a fortune. I wouldn't mind buying one with roots so I could replant it after I use it. but where would one go to get one like that!?

OMC, I'm not sure about American customs of selling trees, but here you can always choose between a rooted tree and a cut one. Maybe not always at the same vendor, but if one doesen't carry something, the other one does. And most folks buy from small manufacturers who have both versions available. I was thinking of getting a rooted one this year, but ended up buying a cut one after all. It's still outside, and is moving in tomorrow evening to acclimatize before getting decorated the next day.

As to the prices, rooted ones are always more expensive - mine cost me 20$. Here you can get away with even cheaper trees if you buy one a day before Christmas; did that last year and got away with paying just 6$ for a (cut) tree just under 6ft tall. Of course that's not such a small amount here, with an average wage of 600$, but that's another topic.

Quote Originally Posted by onemagicalchristmas View Post
    I remember when you could get a good tree for $20.00 but now they cost a fortune. I wouldn't mind buying one with roots so I could replant it after I use it. but where would one go to get one like that!?
    I would go to a local nursery.

"Hail him who saves you by his grace,
    and crown him Lord of all."

I will have to research local nursery for a tree next year. it doesn't have to be big just adorable!

After watching Home alone last night I figured Kevin had one just like that, decorated in my favorite theme - no theme at all

Quote Originally Posted by m4816k View Post
    Bottom of page 25 of "Share your photos!"; my last year's tree...that's probably what you're refering to. Many folks here in Europe still have these kinds of trees because of the traditional look.

Here are some links you might like:

http://www.gymnasium-meschede.de/pro...Tannenbaum.jpg

http://www.feiertaginfos.de/wp-conte...nachtsbaum.jpg

http://www.okej.de/img/wordpress/wei...sbaum_2007.jpg

They look nice, but they actually also look fake to me =/

my fake tree almost looks real! now I just need a christmas scent!