PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Trees

tlazer
12-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Does anyone have a true and tried way of keeping the tree alive longer.I make sure it's water but besides that is there something I can add to the water?:christmastree::

ladyice
12-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I wish I could help, but I've only had artificial trees. Have you tried google? There may be some sites on live tree care.

steph535
12-08-2008, 01:52 AM
I've had many live trees in my life, but have had artificial trees for at least 7 years now. Over the many years, I have heard and read differing opinions and advice as to whether to add anything and what to add. Some people say add some sugar, some say add this or that. What I read this year was that all of it is malarky and that you should just give it water. Just plain water seems to make the most sense to me. I know trees drink a LOT of water for at least the first few days. Not sure if this helps you at all, but just trying, for whatever it's worth. And of course, some types of trees just last longer than others.

PumpkinJack81
12-08-2008, 01:47 PM
I've heard about adding sugar to the water and I think I remember hearing someone say they added aspirin to it to help the tree absorb the water. I just use water and our trees always seem to do fine.

Just found this on GoodHousekeeping.com:

The secret to making a cut fir stay fresh for weeks is simply good basic care: When you purchase the tree, be sure the seller makes a fresh cut straight across the base of the trunk — removing about an inch from the bottom — to aid water absorption. As soon as you get the tree home, put it in a stand or sturdy bucket (if you're storing the tree) that's large enough for the trunk and holds at least one gallon of water. Check the water level daily to make sure it covers the cut end of the trunk. Adding sugar or aspirin to the water doesn't do anything, say tree experts. Place the tree away from direct sunlight, fireplaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources. he secret to making a cut fir stay fresh for weeks is simply good basic care: When you purchase the tree, be sure the seller makes a fresh cut straight across the base of the trunk — removing about an inch from the bottom — to aid water absorption. As soon as you get the tree home, put it in a stand or sturdy bucket (if you're storing the tree) that's large enough for the trunk and holds at least one gallon of water. Check the water level daily to make sure it covers the cut end of the trunk. Adding sugar or aspirin to the water doesn't do anything, say tree experts. Place the tree away from direct sunlight, fireplaces, wood stoves, and other heat sources.

saramitch85
12-10-2008, 08:05 PM
I would spray the branches every now and then.

Donna-50
12-12-2008, 01:58 AM
I always just added water and buy early.

onemagicalchristmas
12-13-2008, 02:42 AM
we had live trees growing up and we just added water to the tree stand. I now use artificail trees !:christmastree:

tlazer
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm so bah humbug! My Christmas tree is already dead.All the branches are facing south! :mad:

onemagicalchristmas
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Sorry to hear this! Try not to let it ruin the spirit of CHristmas for you and your family! :waving:

Donna-50
12-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm so bah humbug! My Christmas tree is already dead.All the branches are facing south! :mad:

I am so sorry to hear that. That happened to a friend years ago. She had it in front of her picture window with the sun beating on it.

tlazer
12-22-2008, 09:45 PM
Yep that's why I kept mine out of the window,But it turned on me anyway.I don't thinl I'll be able to keep it up for the 3 Kings.I'm torn I'm afraid to let it go that far,and if I don't keep it up I'll feel awful

onemagicalchristmas
12-23-2008, 12:33 AM
sorry about your tree! I know most of you tend to keep your trees up until the 6th of january. Real trees sometimes do turn on us! I guess that is something I should think about before getting a real tree.

steph535
12-23-2008, 05:14 AM
aww, how disappointing! is it possible to go out and buy another one? I know it's just before Christmas, but maybe there is a chance you can still find a decent one. And if there are any, I bet you can find one pretty cheap. Walmart had a few for only $5 today. I know that would be a lot of work for you , but I'm just trying to think of something that might help, so you can still have a nice tree for Christmas and maybe last til Jan 6th, too. I am just so sorry to hear about your tree dying.:sad elf:

aarthabenn
12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
go out for a water pipe inbetween the stems or add some physics to make the water flow upwards,i am sure wat am i saying,i read it somewhere but not sure of the topic ,no idea