PDA

View Full Version : Trimming the tree

PumpkinJack81
11-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Talk about your Christmas tree trimmings here! :tree:

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Do you use clear or colored lights? Any "themed" trees? Store-bought ornaments or homemade, or both? How do you plan on decorating your tree this year?

Stevie U-P
12-02-2007, 07:28 PM
I hate themed trees! The more colour the better! Themed ones just look to boring and neat for me. My tree has the works! Everything you could imagine from craft items made by my mum to beads to ornaments I made in P1. I can't wait to put the old tree back up on Saturday!

karanmi
03-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Golly I loved themed trees and have a tree in each room of my home. Would have more if hubby would let me.

My main tree is the large tree in the living area. It is decoarted in colored lights and all exchange ornaments I have recieved in exchanges with my online friends. I have had to buy larger trees twice now as I have so many ornaments.

We have ajheated year around porch room which has a 6 foot Snowmant themed tree done with snowment, snowflakes, and icicles, white, silver, and blue ball ornaments. LIghts on this are all blue and white. I have snowflake garland and dusty blue and white snowflake ribbon topper.

I have a 4 foot tree in my kitchen , This is my Gingerbread cookie tree. It is decoated with colored lights some years, white some years. Just depends on my mood at the time. Itr had candy garland with gingerbread cokie ornaments of all kinds. I also add whole sticks of cinnamon tied with rafia bows. I have made many cinamon ornaments which smell wonderfully spicy each year. This tree is topped with a huge white bow with gingerbreadmen in it.

I have just a small tree in my bathroom which is done in white lights and higlights one of my several nativites.

Bedroom trees are made of whatever seems to strike my mood in certain years. I do have one that has several memory ornaments on it. Ornaments of my childhood, some my daughters made and now have added ornaments the Grandkids have made. Each one holds a wonderful memory for me. One of my favorites I made out of a silver spoon given to my Great grasndparents as a wedding gift in 1902. and jewely from my late Grandmothers collection.It is something can keep the spirit of my Grandparents, and Great Grandparents with me at Christmas each year.

My sewing room has a tree decorated with what else but sewing items. .

persimmonpudding
07-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm a little bit of everything. The main tree is a bit of a mix...but white lights. It has a mix of wooden german ornaments, family stuff, not too many "regular" store-bought, and some artist ornamets (mainly handmade).

But I have a theme developing which stemmed from work. I'm a biologist and unfortunately worked a devastating avian botulism kill that lasted for months during a high-heat and drought period. It made the papers and the news. After that, stuffed ducks, framed duck pics, and duck ornaments showed up on a regular basis...mostly anonymous...through the mail, left on my desk, and some in-person. I got so many stuffed animals, rubber duckies, and things I had to get rid of a lot of it. I donated the stuffed animals tpo various kids charities and Christmas drives. The rest has gone to goodwill, salvation army, etc.

I did keep the ornaments...a mix of mass-marketed and artists ornaments. This all happened roughly 8-9 years ago and they still trickle in...some still anonymous (though I believe they come from friends). And well, I like ducks so I've purchased some myself.

I've been working on a sort of 40s-60s kitschy tree as well.

I keep honing a cookie cutter (and a few vintage kitchen utensils) tree for the kitchen/dining room.

I have a few other more-or-less theme trees. ...and even <GASP> a Star Trek themed tree next to my computer! I do however lean heavily towards traditional (even though it might not seem like it!).

XmasDVD
07-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah we've done the all red tree, all white tree, snowman tree, etc..we prefer the anything you can get on the tree...tree. :-)

hallowthanksmas
07-15-2008, 11:23 PM
We decorate in October. We do a Thanksgiving tree with all glass fruits, veggies, and turkeys. We do a glass Halloween decoration tree. We have a glass Santa swag, a Disney ornament tree, and an all Hallmark ornament tree. We bought a new 7 footer with a rotating base this past after Christmas sale.

All trees except the Disney tree have white lights, the Dis tree has colored lights.

Hallowthanksmas Nick

XmasDVD
07-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Nice! We decorate for 'fall' in September - leaves, etc then for Halloween then for Thanksgiving then Christmas!

hallowthanksmas
07-16-2008, 01:02 AM
We do the outside in the traditional holiday decorations for each individual holiday, as we don't want to be marked as anarchists or something in our neighborhood.

Nick

celebratechristmas
07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I do liked themed trees but my tree is alittle bit of everything. White lights with a variety of decorations. I loved homemade ornaments especially ones that my children make.

I usually buy new ornaments from Target, Macy's once the season is over to get them on sale.

XmasDVD
07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Yep we seem to buy new ornaments every year too - too may for our tree so we lay them out and narrow down what we'll do each year - plus we always lose some ornaments to attrition (breakage)

McDLT
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
celebratechristmas - I'm pretty much the same as you. I like the themed tree, but our tree is a total mixture of things. I really don't think I could have just a one themed tree, because I have so many different ornaments and things I like about Christmas that I would want to include them all. :tree:

Daisy
09-09-2008, 07:49 PM
I like both themed and colourful!

We put all kind of lights on usually, and loads of different coloured baubells. We mostly buy them, but some of our ornaments are really old from my grandmother who is dead now. They look so cosy and homely.

My mum buys new ornaments each year. We'll be overrun with them soon!!

We use tinsel strands, too.

Merry Christmas Darling
09-12-2008, 02:35 AM
I love themed trees. I love colorful trees. I love having more than one tree. My main tree has clear lights and certain colors: red, green, blue, gold, and silver. Those are the colors I selected last year. I loaded the tree with ornaments of different shapes and sizes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Christmas2007177.jpg

Merry Christmas Darling
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Picture002-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Picture025.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Christmas2007171.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Christmas2007168.jpg

onemagicalchristmas
09-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I know that Halloween is a short few weeks away but so is my tree trimming party I put my tree up on Halloween every year. I am using homemade ornaments this year. some store boughten but mostly homemade. I use colored lights and I want to buy some new garland for my tree this year! I am so ready!:tree:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-15-2008, 03:03 AM
I know that Halloween is a short few weeks away but so is my tree trimming party I put my tree up on Halloween every year. I am using homemade ornaments this year. some store boughten but mostly homemade. I use colored lights and I want to buy some new garland for my tree this year! I am so ready!:tree:

I'm so glad someone else is as excited as I am. I'll try to wait till Thanksgiving, but I'm telling you I am soooo anxious. I'm planning to buy new garland for our bay window.

Merry Christmas Darling
09-15-2008, 03:28 AM
These are old ornaments that I won on eBay. I was looking for some that were like my mother's when I was a teen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Picture003-1.jpg

onemagicalchristmas
09-15-2008, 03:57 AM
those ornament remind me of my teen years. I always loved putting up the tree and decoratingit.

PumpkinJack81
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
How many trees do you put up Marshmallow World (and please forgive me for calling you by your username ;))? I would love to have little trees with different ornaments and decorations on them around our house. With our 11-month-old we're going to have to be very careful with one tree though! I'm thinking of using our gate to block off the tree from his busy little hands. :D

Merry Christmas Darling
09-16-2008, 04:49 PM
How many trees do you put up Marshmallow World (and please forgive me for calling you by your username ;))? I would love to have little trees with different ornaments and decorations on them around our house. With our 11-month-old we're going to have to be very careful with one tree though! I'm thinking of using our gate to block off the tree from his busy little hands. :D

I have four trees: the tall pre-lit one, two in country baskets, and the one in the blue room with the vintage ornaments. The one in the blue room stays out year round. Well, I do have five small table-top trees, that don't require ornaments.These ones are in copper-toned pots(out of reach on top of the armoire!) and have pinecones:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Picture002-3.jpg

Last year Wal-Mart had nice little aluminum rectangles with Christmas cut-outs and black velvet ribbons for hanging. They were child proof! I have different themes stored in my basement. BTW, because my living room is carpeted, my glass ornaments were fairly safe from a fourteen-month old grandson. We also had a thirteen-month-old grandson here last Christmas who didn't really mess with things. You will notice that one of those trees has Hungarian felt ornaments; that was how I decorated it two years ago. I did add a few little glass balls and some chocolate candy. This year I have to do a Hallmark tree because my daughter gave me Hallmark ornaments for Christmas. She must not realize how many ornaments I already have!

Have a great day!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Words/Linda-sig.gif

PumpkinJack81
09-16-2008, 07:49 PM
I have four trees: the tall pre-lit one, two in country baskets, and the one in the blue room with the vintage ornaments. The one in the blue room stays out year round. Well, I do have five small table-top trees, that don't require ornaments.These ones are in copper-toned pots(out of reach on top of the armoire!) and have pinecones:

Last year Wal-Mart had nice little aluminum rectangles with Christmas cut-outs and black velvet ribbons for hanging. They were child proof! I have different themes stored in my basement. BTW, because my living room is carpeted, my glass ornaments were fairly safe from a fourteen-month old grandson. We also had a thirteen-month-old grandson here last Christmas who didn't really mess with things. You will notice that one of those trees has Hungarian felt ornaments; that was how I decorated it two years ago. I did add a few little glass balls and some chocolate candy. This year I have to do a Hallmark tree because my daughter gave me Hallmark ornaments for Christmas. She must not realize how many ornaments I already have!

Have a great day!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Words/Linda-sig.gif

I love the "signature" at the end here! And nice to meet you, Linda. :D

I have enjoyed seeing pictures of all of your trees and other decor. Have you created a photo album yet? If not, I would suggest doing so with all of the pics you have to share. I can't wait to see more of this year's decor!

My wife and I are thinking we'll put our non-breakable or not very fragile ornaments at the bottom of the tree this year and more than likely put up the sectional gate so our son won't tear down the tree. He's pretty good about listening, but he's still a young child and can be very curious so we'll see. ;)

christmas2008
09-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Nice discussions about tree trimming, i learned a lot. For those who are interested can also get more information from the following websites of exclusive Christmas decorations.

smiley-stocking
09-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Well we buy artifical tree's. But i still love decorating it. I always decorate the tree's normally it is homemade and shop bought ornaments. :singing::waving::snowman:

PumpkinJack81
09-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Well we buy artifical tree's. But i still love decorating it. I always decorate the tree's normally it is homemade and shop bought ornaments. :singing::waving::snowman:

The artificial trees that make nowadays are very pretty. We always get live trees because my wife loves the smell. With a 1-year-old this year though, I'm not sure how that's going to work out. :christmastree:

MissBeesDesigns
10-15-2008, 01:46 PM
The lovely thing about Christmas Trees is that somehow they always manage to look just right. My tree has every ornament my children every made, 30 years of that "special ornament" I got for hubby and me, the one ornament that I have hung on a tree for the last 50 years, victorian ornaments that decorated my great gran's milliner's shop in Texas, and horse ornaments. And every McDonald figurine that came in a happy meal.

My chic ever so sophisticated daughter (who hosted her first family Christmas last year) called and said she wanted her Christmas tree to look like mine. I tried to explain that it takes 30 years to develope. So I took her all of her ornaments and they looked silly -- but sweet -- mingled in among the pearl white, cranberry and sage green 3" balls.

Martha

noelglori
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I don't go with themes unless you call certain colors themes. Every year I change the color of my living room tree.

This year for my living room tree I'm doing it in the copper color with golds and maybe some clear ornaments.
My tree in the basement usually gets about every color on it.
My bathroom wall tree is usually done in white and blue and my kitchen wall tree is done in reds/ golds/ white.
My larger wall tree is done in red and gold.
My bedroom tree may be any color since I haven't decided what colors to trim it this year.
And I have a 3 ft. tree with fiber optic lights, not sure what color it will be.

I just realized I put up 7 trees, that's a good number, I think I'll stop there.

PumpkinJack81
10-16-2008, 11:39 AM
I just realized I put up 7 trees, that's a good number, I think I'll stop there.

Wow, that's a lot! :eek: We usually just have one live tree in our living room, although I do have a nice artificial tree that belonged to my parents. With a 1-year-old this year I'm not sure I'll get two trees put up though, so it'll probably just be the one live tree. :christmastree:

Ms_Speedy_Elf
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
My Christmas theme for this year is country/rustic .

noelglori
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
I like the small wall trees. Pictured is the one in my bathroom and I also put one in my kitchen. They take up very little space and they are up away from little ones. They add a festive glow to these rooms. I added small baskets on the bottom of them to make it look like they have a trunk and it's in a container. The baskets are held on by floral wire.

Last year as you can see my bathroom wall tree was done in teal and white colors, this year it may be different. I use clear lights on this one but the kitchen tree has colored lights and last year it was done in red and gold.

I have a larger wall tree that I put in my dining room but little hands can reach it.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u124/Gloal/treewall.jpg

PumpkinJack81
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
That looks so pretty Gloria! :christmastree: How did you hang it on the tile wall?

onemagicalchristmas
10-21-2008, 11:58 PM
THis year I made homemade ornaments to add to the ones I already have. I should have a cute tree this year.:christmastree:

PumpkinJack81
10-22-2008, 12:01 PM
What kinds of ornaments did you make?

noelglori
10-22-2008, 04:29 PM
My bathroom wall tree is hanging on a screw on the wall and I have a heavy ribbon around the tree. It's not tile on my wall, it's just a type of paneling.

PumpkinJack81
10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
My bathroom wall tree is hanging on a screw on the wall and I have a heavy ribbon around the tree. It's not tile on my wall, it's just a type of paneling.

I see...Thanks Gloria!

Sean
10-23-2008, 06:07 PM
My family has a big 12 foot tree. Fake of course but extremely pretty when all finished. But boy o boy is it a pain the butt to put up and take down!! :christmastree:

PumpkinJack81
10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
My family has a big 12 foot tree. Fake of course but extremely pretty when all finished. But boy o boy is it a pain the butt to put up and take down!! :christmastree:
A 12 foot tree sounds like a pain to put up and take down! :eek:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2008, 04:34 PM

LOL. If we put up a twelve-foot tree, we'd have to cut a hole in the ceiling!

Sean
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Ill post a picture of it in the coming week!

PumpkinJack81
10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
LOL. If we put up a twelve-foot tree, we'd have to cut a hole in the ceiling!

Same here. This discussion makes me think of Christmas Vacation and the big tree Clark picked out. :eek::christmastree::santahat:

PumpkinJack81
10-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Ill post a picture of it in the coming week!

Please do! We'd love to see it. :christmastree:

Snowdrop
10-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi

Last year I trimmed my tree with glass, gold and bronze baubles and added 200 white lights. It was totally amazing. I have always gone for the multicoloured traditional appearance in the past but decided to have a change. It looked fabulous, I just didn't want to take it down (mind you I never do)

PumpkinJack81
10-25-2008, 02:17 AM
Hi

Last year I trimmed my tree with glass, gold and bronze baubles and added 200 white lights. It was totally amazing. I have always gone for the multicoloured traditional appearance in the past but decided to have a change. It looked fabulous, I just didn't want to take it down (mind you I never do)

Welcome to the forums! :waving:

That does sound lovely! Do you have any photos of it that you could post? :christmastree:

ladyice
10-25-2008, 03:35 AM
I am so looking forward to Christmas this year, I can hardly wait to out up the trees. Yes, trees. I have 4 of them.

I am thinking of getting a 5th one for upstairs lol

onemagicalchristmas
10-25-2008, 08:23 PM
:christmastree:I just realized my whole tree is done in white, red and green It is beautiful. I would like to buy a new tree this year for my bedroom. If they have them cheap like last year I will. I would love a fibreoptic one or prelit.

PumpkinJack81
10-26-2008, 02:50 AM
I am so looking forward to Christmas this year, I can hardly wait to out up the trees. Yes, trees. I have 4 of them.

I am thinking of getting a 5th one for upstairs lol

:christmastree:I just realized my whole tree is done in white, red and green It is beautiful. I would like to buy a new tree this year for my bedroom. If they have them cheap like last year I will. I would love a fibreoptic one or prelit.

I'm gonna do well to get one up this year! :dizzy: Having an 18-month-old (who likes to run around and get into everything) this Christmas is really going to provide a challenge.

ladyice
10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh yes, you will be busy this year Bob!

onemagicalchristmas
10-26-2008, 03:59 PM
yes you will he will be fascinated by the tree! Good luck!

9mile
10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
I'll never forget a phrase that a friend used regarding their Christmas tree: he said "it's the charm bracelet of our lives." Since then, we've tried to create our own "charm bracelet" with ornaments that make us remember various places we've been and Christmases we've celebrated.

- Jay
9 Mile Schoolhouse

onemagicalchristmas
10-26-2008, 10:02 PM
that is a beautiful thought and saying. It rings true too. we decorate in our memories of the past.presents

PumpkinJack81
10-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Oh yes, you will be busy this year Bob!

I know! :dizzy:

yes you will he will be fascinated by the tree! Good luck!

Oh I know he will...He already walks around saying "pump" all the time when he sees our Halloween decorations. :D

PumpkinJack81
10-27-2008, 02:16 AM
I'll never forget a phrase that a friend used regarding their Christmas tree: he said "it's the charm bracelet of our lives." Since then, we've tried to create our own "charm bracelet" with ornaments that make us remember various places we've been and Christmases we've celebrated.

- Jay
9 Mile Schoolhouse

Hi Jay, :waving:

Welcome to the forums! :santa: Thanks for sharing that with us...I think many of us can relate to the idea of collecting memorable ornaments and other decorations for our Christmas tree. :christmastree: Hope to hear more from you soon!

~Bob, Forum Moderator :santa1:

drewsmom0430
11-01-2008, 06:13 PM
thisyear is for my neices and nephews and son, i did my tree already, i know early but i had alot to do. i made it an all candy christmas tree. it came out beautiful. i wish i could post a picture here. i used alot of different candy. it came out so nice.

Theresa Cunningham
11-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I decorate with a mixture of vintage ornaments & ones that we collect every year with white lights, this year I think we may do colored ones & I'm trying to find the star reflectors that go around the lights.

ladyice
11-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Halloween is over, had so much fun last night!

Now I want to decorate the :christmastree:

Arg, I have to wait for 3 weeks lol

drewsmom0430
11-01-2008, 10:44 PM
i already have mine up actually i have 3 up already. one is only 2 feet in sons room other 4 and other 6 i have a picture on my profile its all real candy on it.

onemagicalchristmas
11-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Cute trees . what do you put on your candy tree. ? it looks yummy!:christmastree:

noelglori
11-02-2008, 03:01 AM
I am seriously thinking about putting the tree up in the bedroom. I don't do my living room tree until the day after Thanksgiving but I put up 7 trees so I should get an early start. Yep, I'm talking myself right into starting earlier.

SilentNight
11-02-2008, 08:21 PM
This year I am doing something brand new- decorating a tree with all of my husbands old farm tractors and toy's he has had since a child! I am very excited!

drewsmom0430
11-02-2008, 11:04 PM
thats a cute idea. all the tractors. my son would love that. the candy on the tree is all different. like candy buttons, i have chocolate bells in tool, popcorn balls, chocolate santas ,lollipops, ribbon candy and i made cone shaped reindeer heads and filled them with chocolate peppermint patties and candy canes and jelly lollipops. it was alot of work but worth it. i still want to find large chocolate santas or snowmen to put on it but the stores are slow with putting their candy out. at the end of my family party i will have bags for all the kids and they can empty the tree for me.

onemagicalchristmas
11-03-2008, 12:10 AM
that sounds like a nice idea. I think the kids will love that. I am not sure what all to put on my 4 ft one yet. but I will have some ornatments and some candy too no lights as I don't have anymore to put on it. :kinky elf:

misty27
11-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I may not buy a tree when my kids were young but I do use colored lights,garland,ornaments,
candy canes,angel on top of the tree,and

onemagicalchristmas
11-08-2008, 01:43 AM
my parents don't decorate for CHristmas anymore but I help them buy gifts for each other. Last year I bought moms gifts from dad. this year I am buying moms gifts to dad. He needs socks and I am also thinking of getting him more handkerchiefs. :snowman:

PumpkinJack81
11-08-2008, 03:49 AM
my parents don't decorate for CHristmas anymore but I help them buy gifts for each other. Last year I bought moms gifts from dad. this year I am buying moms gifts to dad. He needs socks and I am also thinking of getting him more handkerchiefs. :snowman:

We got my grandfather monogrammed hankerchiefs last Christmas. :santa:

onemagicalchristmas
11-08-2008, 04:46 AM
he likes the red and blue bandana type! but I gave him white ones for his birthday!:snowman:

JollyElfDC
11-10-2008, 12:04 AM
I love themed trees, but my tree doesn't really have a theme. All my ornaments are the european glass type, so maybe that counts as a theme. I used to really like it, but now everybody has those type of ornaments and it doesn't seem as special.
Every year I give a special ornament to each of my neices and nephews. I try and get ones that reflect their interists or personality traits. They don't care much about them at the moment, but when they have there own trees, I think they will enjoy looking back at the memories of their childhoods.

onemagicalchristmas
11-10-2008, 12:06 AM
thats a nice tradition for them and years later they will have memories of each ornament! My greats are at a perfect age to start that tradition too!:christmastree:

Bee
11-22-2008, 01:19 AM
I decorate the main tree with white lights and vintage ornaments I have had for ages, I still have my childrens ornaments I put on the tree, my grandson likes to see his moms ornaments she had as a child. I put christmas lights on my shrubs and lights in the dogwood tree in front yard. I cannot get away from red bows and ribbon with touch of silver and gold, although last year I threw some purple in there. Celebrating Christs birth is so much fun for me. :angel:

Donna-50
11-23-2008, 05:16 PM
In my DR I am doing a aqua/turquoise and a touch of orange. In the FR I am doing mostly jewel tones that I purchased in Target after Christmas. I usually do all ornaments from years of collecting in the FR so I will see how it turns out. Going to try to put it up after Thanksgiving.

iceicebaby
11-23-2008, 05:27 PM
I decorate my tree with red and gold. I chose this colour theme a few years ago now, and have stuck with it ever since. I just think they are such lovely festive colours. I try and get some new baubles every year, and also put on one or two that the girls have made when they were teenies. But as I got a second tree this year for the dining room (my hubby thinks I'm nuts lol) that one is going to be blue and silver, such frosty colours :D

tlazer
11-23-2008, 09:59 PM
I love colored lights,This year I think I'm going to do a snow flake/ icicle theme.I have never done a themed Tree before So this will be a first. Hope it will look good!

PumpkinJack81
11-24-2008, 03:07 AM
I love colored lights,This year I think I'm going to do a snow flake/ icicle theme.I have never done a themed Tree before So this will be a first. Hope it will look good!

Post pics for us if you can! :christmastree:

PumpkinJack81
11-24-2008, 03:12 AM
I don't think I ever discussed how we decorate our tree... :christmastree: We use colored lights on our live tree each year. DW and I decided to do this because we have so many different oranaments that we thought the colored lights would look best with them. We use only white lights outside and save the colored lights for indoors. This year we'll have colored lights on our tree and I just put a red and green strand on our wreath that hangs over the fireplace. I'll post pics soon, however, we won't have our tree until December 6th. :christmastree:

tlazer
11-24-2008, 03:18 AM
I'm thinking about what you just said,Maybe,since I'll be putting only snowflakes and icicles on the tree it would look better with white lights

onemagicalchristmas
11-26-2008, 01:35 AM
that would be pretty! it should make the snowflakes and icicles sparkle!

lynnenc
11-26-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm thinking about what you just said,Maybe,since I'll be putting only snowflakes and icicles on the tree it would look better with white lights

I am going to do that with the two 4' trees I am putting on my front porch - the whole scene will be a winter wonderland even tho our temps will probably be in the 50-60 range. I am also going to hang snowflakes from the porch ceiling and maybe have alot of fluffy snow around. I am still formulating my ideas and doing some poking around on the internet for ideas.......

Lynne:christmastree:

k nielsen
11-26-2008, 09:39 PM
We finally got our tree up and decorated today. My little guy (2 1/2) helped me decorate and he had a blast. He says the tree is pretty! Now he is looking for presents- it is going to be a fun CHristmas this year.:christmastree:

kam1187
05-07-2010, 02:09 AM
My boyfriend(of 4 yrs) and I have lived together for about 3 years and have so much fun decorating our tree! We have been fortunate to always have had the room for a big tree! We start with colored lights, and then our ornaments. The ornaments are some of his as a kid, some of mine as a kid, new ones we have bought together, and your regular colored 'ball' ones. Then we put on the garland-usually red. Then the silver beads. And then, of course the star at the top! After it is decorated I put the tree skirt down (red w/ white trim-like a santa hat or stocking). And voila! Cant wait to post pics of this years tree!

ornamentmaven
05-07-2010, 04:13 AM
Your tree sounds similar to ours! We have our childhood and family heirloom ornaments, we add collectable ornaments, vacation ornaments, etc. Ornaments are every style and color. I also use silver beads and garland (white). White lights and a fluffy white tree skirt!

olga
05-07-2010, 05:02 PM
My boyfriend(of 4 yrs) and I have lived together for about 3 years and have so much fun decorating our tree! We have been fortunate to always have had the room for a big tree! We start with colored lights, and then our ornaments. The ornaments are some of his as a kid, some of mine as a kid, new ones we have bought together, and your regular colored 'ball' ones. Then we put on the garland-usually red. Then the silver beads. And then, of course the star at the top! After it is decorated I put the tree skirt down (red w/ white trim-like a santa hat or stocking). And voila! Cant wait to post pics of this years tree!

I love ornaments from my childhood, I have lots of them, too..
How tall is your tree, Katie?

I would love to see pictures of your Christmas decoration, this year. :christmastree:

kam1187
05-08-2010, 04:29 AM
It was about 7 ft including the stand. So pretty. And the smell of Christmas tree is one of my favorites! :)

Elf_Erv
05-25-2010, 01:33 PM
anyone use tinsel anymore? when I was a kid my mom loved a LOT of tinsel on the tree. We don't use any tinsel now because of our cats, they pull it off and make a mess with it. I really don't see much tinsel used anymore

olga
05-25-2010, 02:56 PM
We used tinsel too.. but, that was before I see my grandma making bows for her tree..
Aaaaa!! Thats was it.. :elf1:
I fell in love with them and since then, big red bows have become an ιntegral part of our tree..

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/album.php?albumid=53&pictureid=187

:merrychristmas:

ornamentmaven
05-26-2010, 12:01 PM
As a child my parents always had a real Christmas tree - so they used lots of tinsel! I did too until my husband had surgery one year - right before Christmas. He couldn't lift the real tree, so we got an artificial - which I could handle alone - and we've used one ever since. Can't use tinsel on an artificial tree

The funny thing is, you barely even see tinsel for sale anymore!

gandr1212
05-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Why can't you use tinsel on an artifical Tree? I've never tried it. I can see it being hard to get off.

Home alone 2
05-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Why can't you use tinsel on an artifical Tree? I've never tried it. I can see it being hard to get off.

I use tinsel on our artificial tree all the time every year and it seems alright.

HollyJolly
05-28-2010, 03:33 AM
We don't use tinsel either. We don't even use the metallic garland any more. Now we use beads and ribbons...I guess over the years the styles change even for Christmas trees. :home:

tinkerbell2
05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
We used to use tinsel when we was first married, but now its garlands and decorative

branches that you put inside the tree...:christmastree:

ornamentmaven
05-29-2010, 12:13 AM
It is very difficult to get tinsel off of an artificial tree. It may be okay if you use tinsel every year, but even then it can get knotted up and ratty looking. I am surprised to hear that anyone uses tinsel on an artificial tree - I don't know anyone personally who does!

kam1187
06-09-2010, 05:59 PM
We ALWAYS have a real tree. We used to put tinsel on, until we got cats lol. Still looks pretty without it!

Merry Christmas Darling
06-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I loved the look of old tinsel. It had some weight to it and it would hang straight if you separated the strands one by one. The stuff that came out in the mid to late sixties or early seventies (and is sometimes sold now) isn't as nice. I won't be surprised if people stop buying it. Tinsel is supposed to look like icicles, isn't it? They drip straight down.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Trees/Christmas%20Dividers/Christmasanimatedbargif-1.gifhttp://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Trees/Christmas%20Dividers/Christmasanimatedbargif-1.gif

dees473
06-23-2010, 10:50 PM
We normally let my nephew decide. We all get new ornaments every year for whatever our interests are for that particular time. We tried stringing popcorn, but my nephew ate it faster than we could string it.
:presents2:

olga
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
We tried stringing popcorn, but my nephew ate it faster than we could string it.
:presents2:

Ha ha!!

Nothing smells as good as freshly popped popcorn. You wanna eat it all...
Next time you put the tree up, pop plenty... some for the tree and some for the decorating team. :elf1:

NCD
06-24-2010, 06:15 PM
We haven't yet tried popcorn stringing - I think we will definitely give it a go this year, but with 4 little ones I will have to make several batches.:yahoo:

Moley
06-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Just make sure that they can get the popcorn off the branches easily without bringing the tree down on top of them...

olga
06-24-2010, 06:20 PM
We haven't yet tried popcorn stringing - I think we will definitely give it a go this year, but with 4 little ones I will have to make several batches.:yahoo:

Well, let them first eat as much pocorn as they want and then, feel free to give it a try with the little ones..
Thats what I suggest... :santa:

Merry Christmas Darling
06-25-2010, 12:23 PM

It takes forever to string. I'm never doing it again! :elf2: