PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Statuary

Merry Christmas Darling
12-05-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm painting a cement basket with layers of exterior paint. I'm a novice at painting things. Maybe I was supposed to use a primer, but I didn't know that and have one coat of exterior flat paint on my basket. I thought I'd put a couple more coats on after it dries. I've finished another basket this way and will put them both in front of my little porch. And then I'll decorate them for Christmas.

PumpkinJack81
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Hope you'll post pics once you finish! ;)

Donna-50
12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
If you don't prime and it sticks you just have to add more coats to get full coverage.

onemagicalchristmas
12-06-2008, 12:03 AM
sounds pretty what color are you painting your baskets? will you decorate them with poinsettias?:santahat:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-06-2008, 02:01 AM
sounds pretty what color are you painting your baskets? will you decorate them with poinsettias?:santahat:

I'm painting them flat white and will try to fill them with faux evergreens and put red velvet bows on the handles. I hope I have enough evergreens.

onemagicalchristmas
12-06-2008, 03:14 AM
I have two white wooden wheelbarrows that my dad made for me and I thought of getting some poinsettias to put in them. I also would like to hit Lowes Hardware to see if they have a Rosemary tree in stock to decorate with Red bows. They smell great! :christmastree:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-06-2008, 06:15 AM
I have two white wooden wheelbarrows that my dad made for me and I thought of getting some poinsettias to put in them. I also would like to hit Lowes Hardware to see if they have a Rosemary tree in stock to decorate with Red bows. They smell great! :christmastree:

You mean silk poinsettias, don't you? I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that poinsettias like warmer weather than North Carolina winters.

I did buy my two palms at Lowes that I used with my creche.

onemagicalchristmas
12-06-2008, 04:45 PM
definitetly silk! I don't have a green thumb!

Merry Christmas Darling
12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/IMG_0255.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/IMG_0257.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/IMG_0259.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/IMG_0260.jpg

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas!!! :snowman:

steph535
12-17-2008, 04:41 PM
VERY nice!!! it looks so Chritmassy, quiet and peaceful and all the decorations are the perfect touch. That was a great idea.

Donna-50
12-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Very nice. My kids want to see snow and looks like it is all over this year. I loved looking at it but not so much shoveling it.

onemagicalchristmas
12-17-2008, 07:07 PM
MW love how your baskets turned out. I would love a white CHristmas this year but that could count as fantasy here in NC!

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Thank you, everyone! We don't have a white Christmas every year. But I'm hoping this year we'll have one. One year it snowed every day in December. I was the one who shoveled it. Now we have a snow blower.

onemagicalchristmas
12-18-2008, 02:22 AM
then you probably won't have a white CHristmas! at least that would be my luck. I pray everybody has a nice white dusting on CHristmas!:christmastree:

JollyElfDC
12-18-2008, 04:29 AM
With the snow in the picture, your name really fits Marshmallow world.

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2008, 11:27 AM
With the snow in the picture, your name really fits Marshmallow world.

:santahat: I love it! The snow is sooooo beautiful! And every Christmas we get a new snow scene jigsaw puzzle to put together!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Letitsnow.gif

JollyElfDC
12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
So far there has only been 1 snowfall here, and it's melted already. People here go overboard when it snows. With a slight dusting they are closing schools and offices. Was it that way when you lived here?

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2008, 04:34 PM
So far there has only been 1 snowfall here, and it's melted already. People here go overboard when it snows. With a slight dusting they are closing schools and offices. Was it that way when you lived here?

:santahat:

My husband would agree with you. As you probably know, it's all relative to what people are used to. I grew up in Florida, and when I lived in Virginia I didn't think it strange that they closed the schools. But when I came here, I was surprised that they didn't close them. In the deep south(Alabama, Georgia), no one has any experience driving in snow. You don't want to be there when it happens!

The thing I didn't like in the DC area was the amount of rain in November. Cold rain isn't any fun! :sad elf: It really doesn't snow very much in Virginia compared to northern states.

onemagicalchristmas
12-18-2008, 04:39 PM
that is true here in NC too just mention snow flurries and everybody runs to the stores to stock up on bread and milk. They close schools here for snow flurries too! I have seen more snow in Ohio then ever seeing here. :santa1::snowman:

JollyElfDC
12-19-2008, 03:26 AM
that is true here in NC too just mention snow flurries and everybody runs to the stores to stock up on bread and milk.

They do that here too. I even had a woman in front of me at Safeway with her cart FULL of bread, milk , toilet paper etc. It was like she was going to go in to a bomb shelter.She then asked the cashier "Will you be open tomorrow?" I had to try not to laugh, because I was thinking "What else could you possibly need?"
Another thing that cracks me up, but also gets me a bit peeved, is they will close the government offices due to snow. The workers supposedly can't make it in due to the weather, yet for some reason the mall parking lot is jammed packed.:confused:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-19-2008, 03:53 AM
They do that here too. I even had a woman in front of me at Safeway with her cart FULL of bread, milk , toilet paper etc. It was like she was going to go in to a bomb shelter.She then asked the cashier "Will you be open tomorrow?" I had to try not to laugh, because I was thinking "What else could you possibly need?"
Another thing that cracks me up, but also gets me a bit peeved, is they will close the government offices due to snow. The workers supposedly can't make it in due to the weather, yet for some reason the mall parking lot is jammed packed.:confused:

How can I get my street on VDOT’s list of
roads to be plowed?
There is no such list. If a road is a state road,
VDOT is responsible for clearing it. VDOT
roads have black and white route number
signs attached to either a stop sign or a
street name sign. Before it snows, check
to see whether or not your street is
state-maintained.

Why does it take so long to clear
subdivision streets during major storms?
Heavy or deep snows slow plow truck
progress so it may take longer for plows to
reach your street. Narrow streets, hills and
curves, parked cars and smaller cul-de-sacs
also slow plowing operations.

What should my subdivision street look
like after a major snowstorm?
During snowstorms of 8 inches or more, your
street will have only one travel lane plowed
initially and it may be snow-packed, making
all-weather tires a must. Crews will continue
plowing until your roadway is clear.

703-383-VDOT
www.virginiaDOT.org

A lot of people in northern Virginia don't know how to safely drive in snow. That would be a good reason to not require people to come to work. But those same people don't have sense enough to stay home!

onemagicalchristmas
12-19-2008, 04:19 AM
it is a good thing we don't get much snow our allotment would be stranded until the owner found someone to plow us out! :my lord:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Another thing, JollyElfDC, it's always difficult to find yourself in a new culture where things are different from what you've been used to. :dizzy: If you're from Pittsburgh and you go to Montgomery, AL, or another town in the south, there's sure to be someone who will say, "You're not from around here, are you? I had a friend once who talked like you. Let me think, where was she from?" Or if you go to Arkansas or Oklahoma from New York, someone will call you a foreigner. :santahat: That one really gets me, but it's just their culture. When we moved here from Virginia, it took my husband about ten years to stop telling me that the person ahead of him didn't use a signal light.

JollyElfDC
12-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Another thing, JollyElfDC, it's always difficult to find yourself in a new culture where things are different from what you've been used to. :dizzy: If you're from Pittsburgh and you go to Montgomery, AL, or another town in the south, there's sure to be someone who will say, "You're not from around here, are you? I had a friend once who talked like you. Let me think, where was she from?" Or if you go to Arkansas or Oklahoma from New York, someone will call you a foreigner. :santahat: That one really gets me, but it's just their culture. When we moved here from Virginia, it took my husband about ten years to stop telling me that the person ahead of him didn't use a signal light.

LOL! I totaly agree! Although I think the signal light thing has spread across the country. LOL!

Candlegirl9
10-09-2009, 12:13 AM
It's so pretty!! I wish I had snow!