PDA

View Full Version : What Not to say while trimming the tree

onemagicalchristmas
12-04-2008, 09:25 PM
…List of Things *not* to Say when Hanging Lights on the ChristmasTree!

“You’ve got two red lights right next to each other. You’re supposed to go yellow, green, red, blue, not yellow, red, red, green,blue…”

“Up a little higher. You can reach it. Go on, try.”

“What do you do to these lights when you put them away every year? Tie them in knots?”

“Here! Give me that!”

“I don’t care if you have found another two strings, I’m done!”

“You’ve just wound ‘em around and around - I thought we agreed it shouldn’t look like a spiral this year?”

“Where’s the cat?”

“You’ve got the whole thing on the tree upside down. The electric plug thingie should be down here at the bottom, not up at the top.”

Noel
12-04-2008, 09:31 PM
…List of Things *not* to Say when Hanging Lights on the ChristmasTree!

“You’ve got two red lights right next to each other. You’re supposed to go yellow, green, red, blue, not yellow, red, red, green,blue…”

“Up a little higher. You can reach it. Go on, try.”

“What do you do to these lights when you put them away every year? Tie them in knots?”

“Here! Give me that!”

“I don’t care if you have found another two strings, I’m done!”

“You’ve just wound ‘em around and around - I thought we agreed it shouldn’t look like a spiral this year?”

“Where’s the cat?”

“You’ve got the whole thing on the tree upside down. The electric plug thingie should be down here at the bottom, not up at the top.”

You can add "where's the dog ?" or "I thought we agreed the dog should not be decorated this year !":santahat:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-05-2008, 01:44 AM
:santahat: My husband doesn't say a word! He's so happy to be sitting back letting me do all the work while he stares at his laptop. When I ask him how it looks, he says, "Fantastic! You did a good job," and I say, "No, it doesn't look right to me. It has to be perfect." :santahat:

steph535
12-05-2008, 02:41 AM
one magical christmas, I just LOVE your list. It is SO funny. I am so fussy about my tree that my daughters' husband and boyfriend thinks I am "anal retentive" and that I have made my daughters the same way about their trees. It is NEVER perfect. Every single year, I am complaining that there are two of this or that too close to each other, whether it's lights or ornaments or whatever. I am still rearranging stuff AFTER Christmas! LOL. My second daughter was recently telling me how she hates putting the lights on but her husband won't do it and if he did, he wouldn't really care how it looked, She says to me the other day that her husband exclaimed one year, "What did you mother DO to you?!!!!!!!!!" I suppose maybe I should be offended but it just makes me laugh every time I think about it. Some years I have been known to pull the lights off and redo them, up to three times! and this year, I am discovering that I have never put the lights on correctly. You are supposed to wind the cords around each or most of the branches. I just lay them on, but it has to be just so. It's sorta weird, but I just love Christmas so much and all the decorations, etc.. that it makes me cry. but, it's like a love/hate thing. I get into the Christmas spirit early every year and want to start decorating, but at the same time, I completely DREAD it. anyway, thanks for a good laugh; mostly laughing at myself.:santahat:

theedwin
12-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Good one One,

I really like the "you have 2 red lights together....." No one else in the world would ever notice, but you do and that is great! I usually take my glasses off when I put the lights on the tree. I have very bad vision and the glowing circles that I see do let me see the 2 red lights together.

Steph- You must be one "heck" of a Mother-in-Law! :D Good for you! You taught your kids well! Keep laughing honey, you deserve it!

E

Donna-50
12-05-2008, 06:19 PM
My husband tried to put the lights on the first year we were married and used two strands. I fired him. I am pretty anal about my tree but not this year. My kids helped and the older one put up the LR tree and I didn't change much at all. I am trying not to stress over that type stuff with so many other things going on.

andrea.mcc106
12-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Another thing to not say is Uh-ohh or OH NO. That always sounds like something really bad is happening.

ladyice
12-06-2008, 09:13 PM
"“Where’s the cat?”"

:jumping:

LOL

noelglori
12-09-2008, 12:21 AM
I had to smile about the last quote because I have done that in the past. Put the plug thingy the wrong way until one year I got a little smarter and wound my electrical cord around the tree trunk and just left it there when I took the tree down and stored it that way. It works beautifully.

But this year I got a new pre-lit tree so I didn't have my usually tree trunk with the electrical cord wrapped around the tree trunk.

saramitch85
12-10-2008, 08:06 PM
I dont know, but this is a pretty funny post.

aarthabenn
12-23-2008, 02:02 PM
funny and interesting

Mistletoe
02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
That list cracks me up because I can relate to it. It can be very stressful decorating- especially with the lights!

Another thing to add to the list is "I think you should've done it this way instead." (after it's all done) :dizzy:

MelindaB
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
can I go now?

Christmasplease
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
I'll just watch.

SnowAngel
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Where's the cat? LOL. That's what I ask myself and my cat is usually playing with the garlands and standing in my way as I'm attempting to put the lights up. Always gotta keep an eye out, don't want to step on him!

Mistletoe
08-22-2009, 12:00 AM
I'll just watch.

Yeah!

Kittyskyfish
09-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Great thread! LOL! I'm another very 'fussy' tree decorator. :)

ADDING TO THE LIST:

"It's fine already!"

"We need to move the tree." (after it's complete)

"Is something burning?"

olga
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Great thread! LOL! I'm another very 'fussy' tree decorator. :)

ADDING TO THE LIST:

"It's fine already!"

"We need to move the tree." (after it's complete)

"Is something burning?"

Ha Ha!!!! Gosh, you are so right!!!! :candycane1::candycane1:

olga
09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
Where's the cat? LOL. That's what I ask myself and my cat is usually playing with the garlands and standing in my way as I'm attempting to put the lights up. Always gotta keep an eye out, don't want to step on him!

Οk, Im at the office laughing!!! I try to imagine the scene you desribe!! :yahoo:

olga
09-09-2009, 08:34 AM
We can also add these, too!!

'' I had told you to buy new lights!! Now, you see? They're all burned!! ''

'' Get the dog!! He's chewing on Jesus!! (that happened in my house) ''

'' Its very nice tree Olga!! But, mum had an another idea for placing the tree this year. ''(my dad has told me that)

'' Nice, but isnt a little early for Christmas tree? ''(my dad again..)

:yahoo:

LookingforwardtoChristmas
09-26-2009, 09:05 AM
last year my partner spent hours decorating the tree, it wasn't exactly wise of me once it was all finished to say "Shall I have try". Only just back on speaking terms...

gandr1212
09-27-2009, 01:12 AM
One that He better never say is " It's OK" or "I really like the way my mom does hers"

devoy26
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
i spent 2hours trying to trim the trunk of my tree to fit the stand.
sawing through wet pine is no easy task. the frustration and anger were short lived when i saw the tree in all its sparkling glory. probably one of my favourite days of the year. :santahat:

Donna-50
10-01-2009, 11:54 PM
i spent 2hours trying to trim the trunk of my tree to fit the stand.
sawing through wet pine is no easy task. the frustration and anger were short lived when i saw the tree in all its sparkling glory. probably one of my favourite days of the year. :santahat:

I've had to do that before but never had a saw. Had to use one of my kitchen knifes. Now I have a saw and we put up artificial trees.

steph535
10-02-2009, 12:58 AM
[QUOTE=Donna-50;16327]I've had to do that before but never had a saw. Had to use one of my kitchen knifes. Now I have a saw and we put up artificial trees.[/QUOTE
Donna, thank you for making me laugh. You are not alone; I had to use a kitchen knife, too, at least a few years when we used to get real trees.

jakkijelene
10-02-2009, 05:46 AM
I can't tell you how many time my husband and I have went through some of these! Too funny!

emilyanderson
10-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Any new idea of decorating the Christmas tree?? :christmastree:

jakkijelene
10-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Any new idea of decorating the Christmas tree?? :christmastree:

Yes, buy pre-lit trees! haha Actually, it does help a great deal!

devoy26
10-02-2009, 12:41 PM
you could try a fibre optic christmas tree you wouldnt need lights then . the tree itself lights up. :christmastree:

Ellie
10-11-2009, 05:20 AM
I'm trying not to laugh too loud... my husband is sleeping. But I can't help myself..I am definately in the right place. One tree goes up (prelit), the ornaments go on. The ornaments come off, and on go more lights. Ornaments go back on and then get rearranged. After another few days of this, the tree looks great :yahoo:

and then...

Is that topper leaning alittle to the left? That means breaking out the ladder again...

Is that a hole in the tree? Need to rearrange that spot... and finally,

What happened to the lights on the right??? :sad elf:

Then, ditto for the next two trees. No wonder I have to start in October.

steph535
10-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm trying not to laugh too loud... my husband is sleeping. But I can't help myself..I am definately in the right place. One tree goes up (prelit), the ornaments go on. The ornaments come off, and on go more lights. Ornaments go back on and then get rearranged. After another few days of this, the tree looks great :yahoo:

and then...

Is that topper leaning alittle to the left? That means breaking out the ladder again...

Is that a hole in the tree? Need to rearrange that spot... and finally,

What happened to the lights on the right??? :sad elf:

Then, ditto for the next two trees. No wonder I have to start in October.
LOL, finally, someone out there who is like me about it! and then, of course, there is noticing a few random bulbs that have burnt out. My slim tree is pre-lit, which does help quite a bit, but it still takes me a long time to arrange the branches.

Ellie
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL, finally, someone out there who is like me about it! and then, of course, there is noticing a few random bulbs that have burnt out. My slim tree is pre-lit, which does help quite a bit, but it still takes me a long time to arrange the branches.

:elf3:

It's nice to meet you! Sometimes I have to be told to leave the tree alone.

I have slim trees, too, which I love. I thought they would be easier. :elf2:

ANGWife
10-12-2009, 04:23 PM
wahahaha "where's the cat?"

I say that almost every year.