PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for outdoor decor?

joyfulheart
09-26-2007, 06:44 PM
I'm looking forpictrures or ideas or inspiration for outdor decor.

Anyone wanna post pics???

Thefreshelf
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
What type of outdoor decor are you interested in? Light, plants, nativity scenes? Anything?

How much room do you have for decoration?

joyfulheart
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
What type of outdoor decor are you interested in? Light, plants, nativity scenes? Anything?

How much room do you have for decoration?

LOL. Ok. I have a small yard, and we already do lights on the house, in the 2 trees, and bordering the bushes. (not computerized but C9 bulbs) I'm looking for something, simple, inexpensive and one of a kind neat as a decoration (Yardart??) that makes people get out of their cars and come look closer. LOL

I wanna hear people say OOOH AHHHH COOL!

Oh, and it cant be an inflatable (neighbor kids slash them), and they steal the plastic stuff or "redecorate" them to have naughty parts. LOL.

No problem, right?

Oh, and it needs to store easy in the attic. :D

Oliver
10-10-2007, 05:51 AM
Theres always problems when it comes to decorating outside. as you said joyfulheart Kids find it funny to slash inflatables, steal ornaments etc.

So its best to have things which cant be messed with i.e Lights on the house of of reach, ornaments attached to the ground, lights in the trees.

Also when decorating outside you have to be careful to make it so it doesnt look tacky. Some people go outside throw up a few lights and have a few naff decorations around the garden. To me if your going to decorate your garden, do in style :D

Best Wishes
Oliver

trish_j
10-29-2007, 01:45 AM
You know what, all i have are lights on the house and a snowman, santa and grinch(his dog max too) that i made out of plywood. You woouldnt believe the compliments i get on that. The simpilar the better. It doesnt take much. Oh this year i did get one neat thing over e-bay. Its a sign the numbers light up and says the amount of days till x-mas and lights up. The only downfall was that it came on a yard stake which was shoet, but i git mu husband to attach it to a long stick and drilled it onto a pice of plywood for a stand, its really nice now. It is going onto my front deck. If you happen to want to look at it, search for "countdown to christmas" it should come up.

christmaswithlove
10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Hi Trish, I am really curious to see your decor! I have searched google, but can't find it. If you have pictures, I think you can upload pics via http://imageshack.us/ and post the URL here. That would be great!

Thank you

trish_j
10-29-2007, 11:02 PM
its actually on e-bay, i'll try and see if i can find it. If not i will get my step daughter to take a pic of the one i have and post it.

PumpkinJack81
11-02-2007, 01:13 PM
We use only clear lights on our outside decor. Last year I had clear icicle lights on our front and side porches, lit garland wrapped around our two front columns, a lit wreath on our front door, white lights outlining our fence and our nativity in the front natural area. I'll try to post some pics later if I can get the scanner working.

I'd like to get more lights this year to put up and try to get our icicle lights on both stories of our house (across the roof and the porches). We'll see...

Annabelle
11-06-2007, 05:35 AM
Im a big fan of the traditional garland-www.totallychristmas.com has some that is prelit and/or decorated that looked really fun. Ive decorated with it alot and found it to be really easy and festive. Plus, if you want to make it quirky-you could attach different ornaments and such to it. Pink flamingos would be cool-you could make a beach theme with a little pool or something...I dont know, just thinking aloud.

Good Luck!

PumpkinJack81
11-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Im a big fan of the traditional garland-www.totallychristmas.com has some that is prelit and/or decorated that looked really fun. Ive decorated with it alot and found it to be really easy and festive. Plus, if you want to make it quirky-you could attach different ornaments and such to it. Pink flamingos would be cool-you could make a beach theme with a little pool or something...I dont know, just thinking aloud.

Good Luck!

Great site, thanks for sharing Annabelle! : waving :

trish_j
11-11-2007, 01:42 AM
how do you keep a lit wreath on your door? I mean how would you run teh cord that it wouldnt affect opening and closing the door?

PumpkinJack81
11-11-2007, 03:24 AM
how do you keep a lit wreath on your door? I mean how would you run teh cord that it wouldnt affect opening and closing the door?

Hi trish,

Well the way our front door opens (it goes in to the right) I was able to run an extension cord from the wreath cord to an outlet in our front room. I put the cord from the wreath over the first hinge in the door and then ran the extension cord up to it.

Hope that helps!

Annabelle
11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Hi trish,

Well the way our front door opens (it goes in to the right) I was able to run an extension cord from the wreath cord to an outlet in our front room. I put the cord from the wreath over the first hinge in the door and then ran the extension cord up to it.

Hope that helps!

Thats how we do it, too. The window wreaths are harder to do, so I just kinda pick and choose which ones I feel are REALLY important. They seem like they would be easier, but with moving the furniture and climbing up on the chairs/ladders, running the cords, not dropping the wreaths down to the first floor, etc...they can take a lot of work! Plus, if you're not careful-you can let a lot of air in through the cracks in the windows. Just a heads-up before you get started!

PumpkinJack81
11-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Thats how we do it, too. The window wreaths are harder to do, so I just kinda pick and choose which ones I feel are REALLY important. They seem like they would be easier, but with moving the furniture and climbing up on the chairs/ladders, running the cords, not dropping the wreaths down to the first floor, etc...they can take a lot of work! Plus, if you're not careful-you can let a lot of air in through the cracks in the windows. Just a heads-up before you get started!

Thanks Annabelle! :waving:

I've never done lit wreaths on our windows before; something to think about... ;)

calvinko
11-15-2007, 01:29 AM
I am thinking about these to be place in my front yard http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61377.html
The site said you can use them outdoor. Seems like a good deal, what do you think?

:blowing:

Annabelle
11-15-2007, 02:02 AM
I am thinking about these to be place in my front yard http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61377.html
The site said you can use them outdoor. Seems like a good deal, what do you think?

:blowing:

Ive seen different homes use them before and they look really great at night and you can barely tell they are there during the day. I also think they seem very resistant to a lot of crazy weather (as long as you have them staked down!).

But don't take my word for it-I haven't used them personally.

PumpkinJack81
11-15-2007, 03:21 PM
The site said you can use them outdoor. Seems like a good deal, what do you think?:blowing:
Very cool! :rudolph: I only wish I had some extra $ to get a couple...

calvinko
11-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Now! I cannot decide between the Color one or the white one... :sad elf:

PumpkinJack81
11-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Now! I cannot decide between the Color one or the white one... :sad elf:

What are your other outdoor decorations?

calvinko
11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
I am gearing toward this one http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61378.html (http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61378.html) because I am going to have a "snow" theme decor.

PumpkinJack81
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I am gearing toward this one http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61378.html (http://www.homebriteholidays.com/holidays/61378.html) because I am going to have a "snow" theme decor.

I think you've chosen wisely and I can't wait to see pics of your decor!

Annabelle
11-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Then I would totally go with the white!...or do they have blue??? That would be pretty...or a combo of the two???

Im getting a little carried away. I'll stop. :dizzy:

trickster
11-28-2007, 03:27 PM
We have got all our out door decorations up and I will post some photos once I take some!

Basically, we don't decorate the outside front of our home, but the rear instead. When we are sat in our lounge & conservatory, we can look down the garden and admire our handy work that way!! :tree:

denver8
12-10-2007, 01:32 PM
After reading Adam Peter's article, i might just want to give icicle lights a go this year. Does any one of you have any experience with icicle lights.Any pictures of outdoor displays using icicle lights. Need some inspiration. Here is where the tips on icicle lights decor for xmas is located : christmas outdoor & light decoration ideas blog:tree:
(http://petewpfong.typepad.com/christmas_light_unique/)