PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss most about Christmas as a child?

wstaple
09-20-2017, 03:18 PM
I saw this question posted on Facebook and thought I'd post it here to get everyone's thoughts.

The thing I miss the most from my childhood Christmases is going to both sets of grandparents. We'd get together with my mom's side of the family on Christmas Eve. My grandparents lived in an old farmhouse that couldn't have been more than 1,000 square feet. My mom had 7 brothers and sisters, so by the time everyone was there with their kids we had a houseful! Then on Christmas morning, after we opened presents at home, the five of us would go to my dad's mom's house. Again, it was a small home, probably more like 800 square feet in size. My grandmother was always so generous with her sons, daughters-in-law and grandkids. She would usually fix a ham and a turkey and we'd eat most of the day.

All of my grandparents have now passed away. There have been many times that I'd love to visit them and just spend time with them, but I feel that way especially around Christmas.:home:

ornamentmaven
09-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Our Christmas Eve buffet - yes I still do it, but it's just not the same. We started the tradition when I was just six or seven years old. It was always the six of us (originally just the 4 or us!!), my Aunt and Uncle, and my Grandma. It started out very small, with just some appetizers and drinks and grew from there. Some years we were joined by one of my Uncles who took the train up to central NYS from NYC. It always seemed magical and I just can't seem to recapture that moment!

JollyElfDC
11-28-2017, 01:12 PM
I miss the sense of magic. I remember being a preschooler, and really believing Santa was going to come down the chimney! I really wish I could go back to those days.

Elf_Erv
12-03-2017, 03:31 PM
The Sears Wishbook

Bishop1954
02-12-2018, 11:43 AM
To be totally honest, the simplicity of the season as I use to experience it so many years ago. Technology can be a wonderful thing and it has certainly made seasonal favorites like interior and exterior decorating easier and more exciting, but so much more is emphasized on the gifts these days than the Christmas experience as a whole.

Mistletoe
12-05-2020, 11:23 PM
Magic. The excitement of knowing that someone wonderful, who loved me, was coming to visit in a magical way. I would appreciate every package before opening it, knowing that I was touching something that was wrapped by elves up at the North Pole.

Bishop1954
12-08-2020, 10:38 PM
The Sears Wishbook

Good one. I can fondly remember going through all those Christmas catalogs, to include sears JC Penney & Montgomery Ward... :tree1:

Mistletoe
12-15-2020, 02:33 AM
Good one. I can fondly remember going through all those Christmas catalogs, to include sears JC Penney & Montgomery Ward... :tree1:
Yes, I did the JCPenney one, and we'd circle all the things we wanted.

Bishop1954
12-17-2020, 04:29 PM
Yes, I did the JCPenney one, and we'd circle all the things we wanted.

Same here. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it seemed so much simpler then... :presents1:

lizziesnow123
01-24-2021, 12:16 PM
loved that memory of your grand parents...

lizziesnow123
01-24-2021, 12:20 PM
your so right about that...:christmastree:

lizziesnow123
01-24-2021, 01:00 PM
as a little kid- every year i look forward to the school classroom celebrations the teachers would set up for us kids...This was back in grade school. We had our classroom christmas tree, the decorations we made in class, the family christmas concerts, the classroom party with drinks, food and the teacher would pass out little stocking stuffers...the classroom would look festive and it just brought the christmas fun to us kids back then...i will always remember the joy those teachers brought to us kids back then...:treedance:

Bishop1954
01-24-2021, 01:50 PM
I had forgotten all about those early school celebrations. They were a nice diversion from academics. For me it went all the way through High School, I use to look forward to those Christmas concerts and plays... :elf3:

prancer
12-08-2021, 11:47 PM
i miss the spirit of the holiday itself :santa2:

Mistletoe
12-09-2021, 01:51 AM
i miss the spirit of the holiday itself :santa2:
:welcome:prancer! Glad you are joining us!

Bishop1954
12-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Being in my late 60's, my biggest part I miss is the simplicity... :gelf:

darketernal
12-21-2021, 03:20 AM
I guess i miss the snow, i also miss one christmas tree that got cut down, it looked magical when it had snow and lights on it, but got removed after new neighbours moved in.

Mistletoe
12-21-2021, 03:34 AM
I guess i miss the snow, i also miss one christmas tree that got cut down, it looked magical when it had snow and lights on it, but got removed after new neighbours moved in.
I miss the snow, too. It seems the snow waits until right after everyone's taken down their lights!

I've seen people decorate outdoor evergreen trees- so pretty. I can sit and stare at Christmas lights, like I sit and stare into a fire. :santahat:

Bishop1954
12-21-2021, 03:24 PM
In the days before Malls. Santa would usually appear in either the largest store in the local area or (even better) at the local community center. The anticipation was incredible... :santa1:

Elf_Erv
09-26-2023, 04:42 PM
the big Christmas catalogs arriving in the mail, like the Sears Wishbook :presents3:

Bishop1954
09-26-2023, 10:38 PM
the big Christmas catalogs arriving in the mail, like the Sears Wishbook :presents3:

Yeah. I looked forward to that one along with the JC Penney and Montgomery Ward Christmas Catalogs... :snowman: