PDA

View Full Version : What's The One Tradition You Want To Carry On

christmasnut
06-22-2017, 11:21 PM
Ok guys whats the one tradition you want to carry on...Mine has to be Decorating the house with my children and grandchildren...Christmas is the time of year when you get all the family together and enjoying every minute of it:santa:

snowbell1
06-23-2017, 02:01 PM
I carry on in my moms memory,the house is all decorated for christmas about the week before thanksgiving and all lights are on shining bright and i bake and do confections right up till christmas eve day and i also do the little family get togethers we have a couple before christmas eve and christmas eve is just family as is christmas day.Another part of this tradition is listening to Perry Como and Bing Crosby also christmas eve we watch White Christmas together,it's our special time as family and later we unwrap one gift which is also part of the tradition.7289

JollyElfDC
06-23-2017, 02:39 PM
I host Christmas dinner, but my menu is not the same as my mother's at all. I don't think I use one of her recipes for Christmas. The one tradition I do carry on is to have Christmas crackers (the kind you pull, not the kind you eat) on the table. I actually have told people it is the one tradition I brought with me from Canada!:christmasdinner:

ChantelleJoy
06-23-2017, 08:27 PM
The one tradition I do carry on is to have Christmas crackers (the kind you pull, not the kind you eat) on the table. I actually have told people it is the one tradition I brought with me from Canada!:christmasdinner:

Christmas Crackers are one of my favourite traditions, I can't believe it's not common in the US! It's quite common in Canada, and SUPER common here in the UK (obviously).

I really like the tradition I started of Paper Advent calendars (not just the chocolate ones). I bought one for my daughter's 2nd Christmas while we still lived in Canada and used it every year till last year when we moved to London - we bought TWO new ones last year because they're REALLY COMMON HERE.

Starting to think I just love British Traditions... I might be Canadian, but my heart has always been English (so It's lucky I get to live here now!)

chocolatechip1979
06-23-2017, 09:43 PM
All day Christmas is something we did ever since I was young and now I do with my family and friends. It's done the weekend before the 25th. You stay in pjs all day. Have a huge breakfast, watch holiday movies, play family games, inside caroling then finish the night with looking at Christmas lights. We usually have about 30-40 people in house and is always a blast.

ChantelleJoy
06-23-2017, 09:58 PM
We usually have about 30-40 people in house.

WOW That's a lot!

Another tradition that started since I got married was going to see a film on Christmas Day. I missed this past year because they close the movie theatres in London on Christmas Day (gasp!), so we may have to move the Tradition to Boxing Day (for non-Canadian/British folks: The day after Christmas).

ornamentmaven
06-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Christmas Crackers are one of my favourite traditions, I can't believe it's not common in the US! It's quite common in Canada, and SUPER common here in the UK (obviously).

I really like the tradition I started of Paper Advent calendars (not just the chocolate ones). I bought one for my daughter's 2nd Christmas while we still lived in Canada and used it every year till last year when we moved to London - we bought TWO new ones last year because they're REALLY COMMON HERE.

Starting to think I just love British Traditions... I might be Canadian, but my heart has always been English (so It's lucky I get to live here now!)

Yes Christmas crackers are fun. I have used them several times. You are correct; they aren't popular in the US. Usually you can find them for sale in party stores or online - but they aren't offered in volume - just a few, here and there!

christmasnut
06-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Christmas crackers arnt really a tradition here in our household...We have always got them on the Dinner table at Christmas:carols:

ornamentmaven
06-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Christmas crackers arnt really a tradition here in our household...We have always got them on the Dinner table at Christmas:carols:

When I did use them, it was always at dinnertime as well!

JollyElfDC
07-11-2017, 02:33 PM
Yes Christmas crackers are fun. I have used them several times. You are correct; they aren't popular in the US. Usually you can find them for sale in party stores or online - but they aren't offered in volume - just a few, here and there!

I don't get why they aren't more popular here. They are available, and obviously I am not the only one buying them, but everyone has told me the first time they've ever seen them, is on my dinner table.

chocolatechip1979
07-11-2017, 06:17 PM
We don't use Christmas Crackers anymore because the Sweets & Treats table out shines them and my guest were never impressed with what was inside. The small children loved to pop them for the noise but left the goodies behind.

JollyElfDC
07-11-2017, 09:29 PM
We don't use Christmas Crackers anymore because the Sweets & Treats table out shines them and my guest were never impressed with what was inside. The small children loved to pop them for the noise but left the goodies behind.

The prizes are always junk, and the jokes groan worthy, but they are a great ice breaker.

pol.bishop25
09-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Ok guys whats the one tradition you want to carry on...Mine has to be Decorating the house with my children and grandchildren...Christmas is the time of year when you get all the family together and enjoying every minute of it:santa:

I too love that tradition very much. I'm divorced and it's kinda hard now, but me and my ex wife still get along for the sake of our child.

snowbell1
09-14-2017, 09:07 AM
:christmastree:I carry on my moms it's the whole house done in christmas before thanksgiving and it's those family moments that we share and treasure.

Bishop1954
02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
Many years ago when my son was five, the school he attended had them make a Christmas ornament for the tree. It is simply a round piece of wood, with a gold chain through it and painted Christmas colors with the words Merry Christmas on it (something I'm sure the teachers helped with). He was anxious to put it on the tree when I was setting it up and so it went on first (after the lights) and centered on the tree. So to this day (34 years later) it is still the first ornament on the main tree and the last one to come off when I take it down... :xmaseyeroll:

nhutcuong96
12-24-2019, 01:17 PM
Hi, it's grate

Bishop1954
12-25-2019, 09:33 AM
My son's first Christmas ornament to me. The first one on the tree and the last one off... Merry Christmas!! :presents3:

Elf_Erv
11-14-2020, 02:28 PM
stockings. even for the pets

Mistletoe
12-05-2020, 09:02 PM
Not putting the gifts under the tree or filling the stockings until right before we go to bed on Christmas Eve.

Also, decorating the tree together & having Christmas Eve as the main celebration. I really wish I could have continued the tradition of tagging a Christmas tree in the fall.

Bishop1954
12-08-2020, 11:00 PM
Sleeping Christmas Eve by the tree. I may be getting too old for that though unless I get some serious padding to lay on... lol :santa2:

Mistletoe
12-19-2020, 02:04 AM
When I read the Christmas books about the past, I really wish we did the rousing dances that they all seemed to do- it sounds so festive! I'd attempt to work it into our celebration, but the amount of room we'd need to move about is not really available. :sad elf:

Bishop1954
12-19-2020, 12:33 PM
A older tradition that has seem to have gone away that I would love to see return is Caroling. Not just downtown, but in the neighborhood as well... :carols:

Mistletoe
12-23-2020, 08:10 PM
A older tradition that has seem to have gone away that I would love to see return is Caroling. Not just downtown, but in the neighborhood as well... :carols:
Yes!!!! I wish I could sing well, because I'd so try to make that happen.

JollyElfDC
12-24-2020, 03:06 AM
I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of the old traditional stuff return. People are really feeling nostalgic for what we once took for granted.

Bishop1954
12-24-2020, 11:50 AM
I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of the old traditional stuff return. People are really feeling nostalgic for what we once took for granted.

Amen to that and I sure hope so... :santa2:

Mistletoe
12-25-2020, 12:21 AM
How true, and I hope so too!

Bishop1954
12-25-2020, 01:06 AM
One I had forgotten myself till tonight... a candle in the window!! :treedance:

Lili1234
06-24-2021, 11:06 AM
I carry on in my moms memory,the house is all decorated for christmas about the week before thanksgiving and all lights are on shining bright and i bake and do confections right up till christmas eve day:https://www.couponxoo.com/400-robux-gift-card-code

Bishop1954
06-25-2021, 01:22 PM
I want to start a new tradition for myself and my wife and that is to visit (during the Christmas season) one different town and experience the Christmas Spirit in each... :home:

Mistletoe
07-27-2021, 07:29 PM
I want to start a new tradition for myself and my wife and that is to visit (during the Christmas season) one different town and experience the Christmas Spirit in each... :home:

That sounds like fun! Good idea!

Bishop1954
07-28-2021, 12:19 PM
We have picked out our first one for this December. New Ulm, Minnesota... :home:

JollyElfDC
07-28-2021, 05:23 PM
We have picked out our first one for this December. New Ulm, Minnesota... :home: Sounds wonderful, and what a fun new tradition!
Speaking of which, I'm hoping Papa Christmas or another member from the Lone Star state can tell us about this. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/christmas-capital-of-texas/
I'm intrigued, because I like warmer weather, and I enjoyed visiting Texas in the past.

Mistletoe
07-28-2021, 06:07 PM
Grapevine, TX sounds fun- I love when a town goes all out.

And New Ulm, MN looks picturesque- like the good old days. :santa-smiley:

I was thinking of going to Newport, RI.

Bishop1954
08-04-2021, 01:57 PM
Looks like a lot of us are onboard with this. I'll make sure to take pics to share... :snowman:

Mistletoe
08-06-2021, 02:46 AM
Looks like a lot of us are onboard with this. I'll make sure to take pics to share... :snowman:
Thanks, I'd like to see some nostalgic decorating, like they seem to have on their streets.

Bishop1954
08-11-2021, 04:07 PM
I'll be sure and take plenty of shots. I also found out that there are several places in the US that have a Polar Express train ride in the Nov-Dec time frame. May have to check that out at some point as well... :home:

Mistletoe
01-06-2022, 01:55 AM
The prizes are always junk, and the jokes groan worthy, but they are a great ice breaker.
I bought Christmas Crackers a couple years. The one I remember was everyone received a differently tuned horn? or something and a sheet of music that told us who plays a note at what time, creating a song. It was quite amusing.

I keep my eyes open for ones that I think might be more interesting, but don't often see them.

Bishop1954
01-06-2022, 04:16 PM
Filling stockings for someone not on your gift list... :treedance:

Elf_Erv
10-02-2023, 06:31 PM
stockings are a must, even for pets :candycane1:

Bishop1954
10-07-2023, 01:02 AM
stockings are a must, even for pets :candycane1:

I agree. My wife and I began a few years ago to fill and send stockings for those on our list. Some even said they could not remember the last time they got one... :gingerhouse: