PDA

View Full Version : Have you noticed a decline in Christmas displays in shops?

Moley
11-28-2015, 11:44 AM
It might be just me and the places I visit, but this year I've noticed a marked decline in the size and range of what is available in stores over Christmas. Do you think it is a sign of the dire economic times we are living through, or is it due to the growth of online shopping?

I'm feeling rather let down at the moment: I may have to go and visit That Christmas Place again... :)

ornamentmaven
11-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Actually, I had that thought a few years ago, but it seems to me to have picked up a bit since then. The area I live in is one-third Jewish, so it tends not to be overboard Christmas-sy anyway.

snowbell1
11-28-2015, 05:56 PM
There is alot of christmas around here,just about everyone home they are just covered in christmas and the shops are all done nicely and we have our holiday strolls and walks and they even do the old victorian caroling,we are truly in the holiday around here.:christmastree:

tinkerbell2
11-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Yes, around here the displays have got smaller and there doesn't seem as much stuff either.

Mistletoe
11-30-2015, 02:09 AM
There is alot of christmas around here,just about everyone home they are just covered in christmas and the shops are all done nicely and we have our holiday strolls and walks and they even do the old victorian caroling,we are truly in the holiday around here.:christmastree:

:::sigh::: That sounds wonderful...

Mistletoe
11-30-2015, 02:13 AM
It might be just me and the places I visit, but this year I've noticed a marked decline in the size and range of what is available in stores over Christmas. Do you think it is a sign of the dire economic times we are living through, or is it due to the growth of online shopping?

I'm feeling rather let down at the moment: I may have to go and visit That Christmas Place again... :)

Hmmm...I will have to check this out... I do almost all my holiday shopping online, so haven't noticed (I guess this means I'm contributing to the situation)... :elf2:

snowbell1
12-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Everywhere you look here it's christmas our winter festival is coming up and they have sleighrides for free through the country,we have victorian strolls,this was Norman Rockwells home so it's christmas everywhere,homes are done up,and the people will go around in their santa hats and bells,we have trees that are decorated and lit up,it reminds you of christmas town,and everywhere you go there are christmas carols playing.:christmastree:

ornamentmaven
12-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Everywhere you look here it's christmas our winter festival is coming up and they have sleighrides for free through the country,we have victorian strolls,this was Norman Rockwells home so it's christmas everywhere,homes are done up,and the people will go around in their santa hats and bells,we have trees that are decorated and lit up,it reminds you of christmas town,and everywhere you go there are christmas carols playing.:christmastree:
That sounds fantastic!

Mistletoe
12-07-2015, 03:08 AM

Why can't every place be like that?? I would really like to go on a sleighride through the country. And the Victorian strolls sound nice...

Soak it up for us snowbell1! :smitten:

Mistletoe
12-07-2015, 03:15 AM
I just wanted to mention also that my neighborhood has significantly less Christmas lights. I don't know what's happening with my neighbors. I thought maybe they were just waiting for the first weekend in December to decorate, but, here we are and there's hardly any. :sad elf: I find this odd since last year it appeared that more people than usual were doing light displays. Even the regulars have none this year. :crying:

ornamentmaven
12-07-2015, 03:52 PM
I just wanted to mention also that my neighborhood has significantly less Christmas lights. I don't know what's happening with my neighbors. I thought maybe they were just waiting for the first weekend in December to decorate, but, here we are and there's hardly any. :sad elf: I find this odd since last year it appeared that more people than usual were doing light displays. Even the regulars have none this year. :crying:

Hardly any here as well. Only 2 houses out of 20 are lighted-up on our street! Of course, we are moving - so we have no decorations; two houses have new people just moved in and two houses are empty. Not to mention that the electric rates are astronomical these days!

*Snowflake*
12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
I haven't. Actually town near my place has huge display this year.

Moley
12-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Yes, I've noticed far fewer Christmas light displays as well.

Bishop1954
03-31-2018, 12:04 PM
Our street use to have only one or two that decorated for Christmas, but this one retired couple down the street and I go all out for the season. He likes to add something each year and I like to swap mine around for a different look. Anyway, it seems to have affected many of our neighbors and now, not only is the majority of the street lit up, but we seem to have made it on the "Christmas Lights Limo" tour as well.
I love it!!!

Mistletoe
11-23-2019, 04:14 AM
Our street use to have only one or two that decorated for Christmas, but this one retired couple down the street and I go all out for the season. He likes to add something each year and I like to swap mine around for a different look. Anyway, it seems to have affected many of our neighbors and now, not only is the majority of the street lit up, but we seem to have made it on the "Christmas Lights Limo" tour as well.
I love it!!!

Wow, good job!

Mistletoe
11-23-2019, 04:22 AM
Since my last post on this thread back in 2015, things have improved a bit. The houses right near me have decorations and lights up. So, although further down the block there are areas of dark houses, at least I can look out my windows and see cheery displays now. :christmastree:

Bishop1954
11-24-2019, 04:36 PM
That always makes it better. I have already noted two new house on my street where lighting has already begun. I'd best get started as well... :home:

chocolatechip1979
05-12-2020, 12:22 AM
I wonder if shopping will be the same during the season. Will all of this go away by then? Covid-19 has really scared a lot of people. How will this ruin this holiday season?

Bishop1954
05-13-2020, 04:36 PM
I don't think you can ever really ruin Christmas. It might get toned back, but here's hoping the cure will be found by then. Always time for miracles during Christmas... :santa2: