PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy your Christmas cards?

Clueless in Seattle
11-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Maybe I'm just turning into an old Scrooge, but the last few years the selections of boxed Christmas cards at my neighborhood drugstores and department stores has really disappointed me. I'm old and disabled now, so I'm no longer able to make homemade cards.

Have I just lost the Christmas spirit? Or have you also noticed that the quality of boxed Christmas cards seems to have gone way downhill lately?

Where do you shop for your Christmas cards?

ornamentmaven
11-25-2015, 03:48 PM
Hallmark always has nice cards, but expensive. I often order from Current, but their quality is not as good as it used to be. Sometimes I do homemade, but I too am diasabled and lack patience

tinkerbell2
11-25-2015, 09:53 PM
I make my own, which you all will be receiving in the Christmas Card exchange..:)

Xmasflora
11-26-2015, 09:02 AM
I used to buy some Hallmark cards in the past. And yes I too find the holiday cards quality has gone down. I also used to make some of my cards. I too have health issues so unable to go to the shops and osteoarthritis allover including wrists. I started cardmaking for this season this week and can only do a little and then i have to stop. I miss the joy of being able to make a set of cards in one sitting. The card I started yesterday is only 1/3 into being done.From a tutorial splitcoaststampers from their latest newsletter.:christmastree:

Moley
11-27-2015, 11:55 AM
Yes, it seems the quality of cards is falling. If I like a card and it isn't shabby I'll buy them from pound shops and market stalls. Card Factory shops in the UK are quite a good source of cards.

Clueless in Seattle
11-29-2015, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I was waiting for email notification that someone had replied, but apparently I didn't check the right box when I posted my message, because I don't think I ever received any notifications. So I just dropped in here today on the off chance that someone had replied. What a nice surprise!

I just talked to my cousin on the phone and mentioned how disappointed I am with the selections of card at local stores, and she said she has a nearly full box from many years ago that I can have. That might be enough to get me through this year, considering how long it takes me to do anything these days. I'll probably only be able to send out a couple of cards a day between now and Christmas.

snowbell1
12-01-2015, 03:28 PM
I have gotten mine at Walmart they seem to have some nice ones this year,although our Dollar generals have nice ones as well which is surprising their cards are a dollar a box and the big assorted cards are two dollars and they are really nice,you can go to walmart online and get them sent to you.:christmastree:

ornamentmaven
04-22-2016, 04:03 PM
Well, for 2016, I spotted some cards on sale in January that I liked, and picked them up. Hope I remember this in November and don't buy more!

MinnesotaMike
04-27-2016, 05:58 PM
We always do the Shutterfly thing online and use pictures. Is that considered cheating?

ornamentmaven
04-29-2016, 04:33 PM
We always do the Shutterfly thing online and use pictures. Is that considered cheating?

No - I love receiving photo cards and save them in my photo albums! I have done photo cards in the past - when the kids were small. Or, I would, at least, send one of their portraits - dance, soccer, school, camp, swim club, etc. from the current year! Sending photo cards gives friends and far-away family a glimpse into your life.

chocolatechip1979
05-26-2016, 04:53 AM
I always stock up on cards when they are 75% to 90% at our local Hallmark and Kohls stores. I will have to admit I have found the most beautiful cards at rummage sales. I find it amazing what treasures people toss out once February hits.

ornamentmaven
01-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Already bought cards for next Christmas. Got them at the 75% off sale at Rite Aid.

Bishop1954
03-24-2018, 03:52 PM
I work at Wal-Mart and they have had quite a large selection of Christmas cards these past few years. Everything from religious to traditional to humorous and much more. Of course I usually stockpile some form the previous years, as the sending of cards is not as high on people's lists of things to do as it was when I was growing up.
I also came across a site called Retro Christmas. It has some nice designs from days gone by, but they are a bit spendy. Who knows, if we do a Christmas card exchange here, some of you may get to see them first hand. Nine more months and counting... :presents3:

ornamentmaven
03-25-2018, 05:50 PM
I work at Wal-Mart and they have had quite a large selection of Christmas cards these past few years. Everything from religious to traditional to humorous and much more. Of course I usually stockpile some form the previous years, as the sending of cards is not as high on people's lists of things to do as it was when I was growing up.
I also came across a site called Retro Christmas. It has some nice designs from days gone by, but they are a bit spendy. Who knows, if we do a Christmas card exchange here, some of you may get to see them first hand. Nine more months and counting... :presents3:

Funny - after I retired as the Director of Human Resources for a local bank, I worked part-time at a Walmart for a few months (until I got sick) and permanently left the work force! Interesting job - to say the least! It is very sad that the sending of Christmas cards has really declined in recent years - it was always one of the best parts of Christmas for me!

Bishop1954
03-26-2018, 10:45 AM
For me as well. Wal-Mart is where I have worked for the past 12+ years. I also retired, but it was from the USAF in 1997.

wstaple
03-26-2018, 02:39 PM
I usually do photo cards from Samís. For a few days after Thanksgiving, they normally run a sale where you can get 100 photo cards for around $25 or less.

ornamentmaven
03-27-2018, 06:58 PM
I love receiving photo cards. I used to do them when my kids were small, I even designed and printed some out myself - but that is just too much work!

Bishop1954
03-29-2018, 12:18 PM
I would like to do them, if there was more room to write a personal note. Of course maybe things have changed since they first began to do them, but back in the "day" the result was mostly a post card type.

Xmasflora
11-23-2018, 02:50 PM
The quality of christmas cards used to be better and more prettier choice in traditional styles. Long ago Laura Ashley had some very pretty cards but that was decades ago I send those one year.Then later I used to buy Hallmark many years. As I can not go to the shops anymore due to health now my S/O buys Hallmark but quality is less and the designs are too modern not nice.
The sending of cards has declined all over. Also from businesses is less cards.

ChantelleJoy
11-23-2018, 02:56 PM
I love receiving photo cards. I used to do them when my kids were small, I even designed and printed some out myself - but that is just too much work!

I'm doing photo cards for the first time this year.

I am writing on the back of the image, but there's not much room.

This is the first year I've not done Traditional cards, but I got professional photos done - so I'm taking advantage of the pretty family pictures we have.

Bishop1954
11-23-2018, 03:18 PM
All over, but lately from Retro... anyone here want to be on the list for 2018? :gelf:

snowbell1
11-23-2018, 05:55 PM
I get them from walmart,biglots a few other of our shops here.:santa1:

Bishop1954
01-15-2019, 08:44 AM
I still have nearly 200 cards left over, but Retro was having a sale and so........ another 64 has been added to the pile.