PDA

View Full Version : Christmas dinner table

JollyElfDC
06-26-2015, 05:17 AM
I'm curious how everyone sets their Christmas table.

Do you go all out with silver and crystal?
Do you just set the table like any other day?
Do you do an adult table and a kids table?
Do you own Christmas dishes?
Do you switch it up every year?

There is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has their own style and traditions. I'm just curious, and I'm trying to come up with ideas myself.

My table (and my meal for that matter) depend on how many people I am having over. My dining room table only comfortably sits 4. If it's only 4 I do a simple setting with a centerpiece of floating candles. I have some Christmas napkins that are white with silver and gold running through them.

If I have more than 4 people, I borrow a long folding table from the condo party room. I cover the table with a red tablecloth and use green cloth napkins with long taper candles.

I bought quite a few clearance items after Christmas this year (napkin rings, charger plates, Christmas crackers) so it will probably look different from what my guests are used to.:tree:

ornamentmaven
06-26-2015, 09:01 AM
I generally host a Christmas Eve buffet with anywhere from 8 to 15 people. The table is set with a red and green plaid wool tablecloth. The food is served in buffet warmers and on a variety of crystal and silver platters. I use crystal plates and wine glasses, as well as disposable festive napkins and cups. We eat casually in the living room. Christmas dinner is usually just us, our 2 daughters and their boyfriends, so we don't get very fancy!

Eric Brown
09-24-2015, 11:26 AM
We decorate our whole house with beautiful flowers, candles, lights, my mom made our favorite food.. She decorate dinner table with Lovely Scented candles....
We spend our Christmas eve together... Great fun and lots of love!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2015, 02:58 PM
I'm curious how everyone sets their Christmas table.

Do you go all out with silver and crystal?
Do you just set the table like any other day?
Do you do an adult table and a kids table?
Do you own Christmas dishes?
Do you switch it up every year?

There is no right or wrong answer. Everybody has their own style and traditions. I'm just curious, and I'm trying to come up with ideas myself.

My table (and my meal for that matter) depend on how many people I am having over. My dining room table only comfortably sits 4. If it's only 4 I do a simple setting with a centerpiece of floating candles. I have some Christmas napkins that are white with silver and gold running through them.

If I have more than 4 people, I borrow a long folding table from the condo party room. I cover the table with a red tablecloth and use green cloth napkins with long taper candles.

I bought quite a few clearance items after Christmas this year (napkin rings, charger plates, Christmas crackers) so it will probably look different from what my guests are used to.:tree:

Sounds good! I don't own any crystal or silver, but I always made a point of having a green tablecloth and using candles. My Christmas plates are called Friendly Village.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/SquareSaladPlate.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/SquareSaladPlate.jpg.html)http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/ChristmasEarthenware001-1-1.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/ChristmasEarthenware001-1-1.jpg.html)

wstaple
10-26-2015, 01:28 PM
Sounds good! I don't own any crystal or silver, but I always made a point of having a green tablecloth and using candles. My Christmas plates are called Friendly Village.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/SquareSaladPlate.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/SquareSaladPlate.jpg.html)http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/ChristmasEarthenware001-1-1.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Dining%20Room/ChristmasEarthenware001-1-1.jpg.html)

Those are beautiful!

JollyElfDC
10-29-2015, 06:34 AM
I love those plates! My tastes run very traditional and those are perfect.

chocolatechip1979
05-28-2016, 12:23 AM
When it comes to Christmas dinner. We make tons of food because everyone is welcomed. I hate the thought of any of my family and friends spending the holidays alone. I do have Christmas plates,mugs and platters. Every year I add add something extra so nothing really matches but it still works together. I also have a few cookie jars that I use through out the house as center pieces

Bishop1954
12-23-2020, 12:18 PM
Usually depends on how many we are going to host on Christmas. However, there is a Christmas tablecloth and two special plates/mugs that are reserved for that Christmas Eve dessert and hot chocolate for my wife and I to share... :christmasdinner:

Mistletoe
12-23-2020, 06:57 PM
I have been making a concerted effort to use and rotate the different Christmas themed glasses, plates, bowls, etc that I own throughout December. I usually can't get around to using and appreciating all the nice things!

We all go out to eat Christmas Eve after church, and my sister hosts Christmas Day dinner. I did do Christmas breakfast one year, set up before going to bed, with white table cloths, jewel colored red and green charger plates, goldware, ice crystals scattered down the center of the table along with different colored/styled Christmas trees. We removed the main kitchen table and used two long folding tables end to end, so everyone could fit at the one table. And I put small wrapped gifts on everyone's plates (so after opening the gifts under the tree, there's another one for you!)

Because I don't usually host a Christmas dinner, I haven't actively collected dinner sets/dishes, just pieces here and there that I've liked, but after this year, my desire to socialize has increased and I'm thinking I'll be hosting meals in future Decembers, so will be needing to get more.

I do like the look of different glassware types being used together.

wstaple
12-23-2020, 07:49 PM
My wife inherited a full set of Christmas china from her "aunt" (actually her mom's best friend) because "Aunt Sue" knew how much I loved Christmas. We only use it a couple of times during Christmas, but that almost makes it more special when we do use them. I LOVE seeing the table set with this china!

Mistletoe
12-23-2020, 08:14 PM
This is the only place that I've come in contact with men who love Christmas. I've never met any in person. It's so nice that you guys exist somewhere.

JollyElfDC
12-24-2020, 03:24 AM
I'm glad to see this brought back up. Since my original post, I have collected a fair number of tablecloths, napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers etc. Since my number of guests varies from year to year, I don't really worry about the quantity. For example I have 4 cardinal napkin rings that I picked up. I haven't used them yet, but if I need to set a table for 4 I can use them. If I have to do dinner for 8, I can either use other napkin rings, or set up 2 tables for 4 with completely different tablescapes. It's actually kind of fun putting things together. I have ideas for a snowflake themed table, a candy themed table, a woodsy themed table a Victorian themed table etc. The one thing I always do at these dinners is to use place cards. They add a nice touch, and for some reason people seem truly touched that you wrote their name on a piece of cardboard. ( It's weird what people react to. I get the same sense of wonder about making my own cranberry sauce) It is also my way of making sure the older guests get the most comfortable chairs.

Bishop1954
12-24-2020, 12:13 PM
This is the only place that I've come in contact with men who love Christmas. I've never met any in person. It's so nice that you guys exist somewhere.

Thanks and I'm sorry you have not met any. For me it has (and always will) held a special place in my heart. When people ask, I reply that I will forever be child-like, just never childish... Keeping up with the day, NORAD reports Santa in Palana, Russia... :tree:

Mistletoe
12-24-2020, 11:35 PM
I'm glad to see this brought back up. Since my original post, I have collected a fair number of tablecloths, napkin rings, salt and pepper shakers etc. Since my number of guests varies from year to year, I don't really worry about the quantity. For example I have 4 cardinal napkin rings that I picked up. I haven't used them yet, but if I need to set a table for 4 I can use them. If I have to do dinner for 8, I can either use other napkin rings, or set up 2 tables for 4 with completely different tablescapes. It's actually kind of fun putting things together. I have ideas for a snowflake themed table, a candy themed table, a woodsy themed table a Victorian themed table etc. The one thing I always do at these dinners is to use place cards. They add a nice touch, and for some reason people seem truly touched that you wrote their name on a piece of cardboard. ( It's weird what people react to. I get the same sense of wonder about making my own cranberry sauce) It is also my way of making sure the older guests get the most comfortable chairs.
I like the idea of a woodsy themed table. Actually they all sound nice. And the place cards would be a good idea, because I know with our family get togethers, family members seem to clump together out of habit and it would be good to spread the young ones out among the older, and have the different members of families be able to talk with people they don't often see.

Bishop1954
12-25-2020, 01:13 AM
I like the idea of a woodsy themed table. Actually they all sound nice. And the place cards would be a good idea, because I know with our family get togethers, family members seem to clump together out of habit and it would be good to spread the young ones out among the older, and have the different members of families be able to talk with people they don't often see.

Mixing it up is a really nice Christmas touch... :candycane1:

JollyElfDC
09-27-2021, 11:08 PM
I like the idea of a woodsy themed table. Actually they all sound nice. And the place cards would be a good idea, because I know with our family get togethers, family members seem to clump together out of habit and it would be good to spread the young ones out among the older, and have the different members of families be able to talk with people they don't often see. This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did. 7584

Bishop1954
09-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Impressive. I especially like the "Chip & Dale" touch. Could be romantic, whimsical and of course Christmas-like... :christmasdinner:

JollyElfDC
09-28-2021, 02:14 PM
Impressive. I especially like the "Chip & Dale" touch. Could be romantic, whimsical and of course Christmas-like... :christmasdinner:

Chip and Dale are the salt and pepper shakers.

Mistletoe
10-10-2021, 01:19 AM
This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did.
Nice! I like the large pine cones- I only have small ones. And the salt and pepper shakers are cute- especially with the fire in between them. :reindeer2: The sleigh bell napkin rings are festive, too. Are the candles in the middle of the table flameless or candle holders? Are the plates black or forest green also?

JollyElfDC
10-12-2021, 06:08 PM
This isn't the greatest picture,(The tablecloth is actually more of a forest green. It looks black here) but this was the "woodsy- country" table I did. 7584

The plates actually are black (not the most Christmassy, but it worked in person)and those are flame less candles that hadn't been turned on yet when I took the picture.

JollyElfDC
10-12-2021, 06:25 PM
7586 This was the Santa table I did. I wish the runner had been longer, but this was the longest one I could get at the time.

JollyElfDC
10-14-2021, 12:26 AM
This was the other table the year I did the country/woodsy table. The napkins have both silver and gold , but it's hard to see from the picture. 7587
This is the 2 tables together. At the time we called them "The city table and the country table". It looked better in person.

Mistletoe
10-14-2021, 01:12 AM
The plates actually are black (not the most Christmassy, but it worked in person)and those are flame less candles that hadn't been turned on yet when I took the picture.
Actually, I was thinking that black plates would be nice with the red napkins- a good contrast, and they matched your stemware.

Mistletoe
10-14-2021, 01:20 AM
This was the Santa table I did. I wish the runner had been longer, but this was the longest one I could get at the time.
Oh, that's festive! Is that a sack of gifts in the middle of the table? I see what you mean by the length of the runner, but at least it makes it easier to appreciate the detail on it.

Mistletoe
10-14-2021, 01:39 AM
This was the other table the year I did the country/woodsy table. The napkins have both silver and gold , but it's hard to see from the picture.
Elegant- it's nice that you can be so creative. I'm not sure I'm seeing the center of the table correctly- is it a bowl with silver and gold ornaments in it? From the second picture, I'm thinking there must be string lights in there as well? And do I see string lights outside the bowl also? I've been eyeing ornament place card holders for awhile now and just haven't gotten them yet. They look nice!

Did you take your inspiration for this table from Rudolph's Silver and Gold song? :reindeer2:

JollyElfDC
10-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Elegant- it's nice that you can be so creative. I'm not sure I'm seeing the center of the table correctly- is it a bowl with silver and gold ornaments in it? From the second picture, I'm thinking there must be string lights in there as well? And do I see string lights outside the bowl also? I've been eyeing ornament place card holders for awhile now and just haven't gotten them yet. They look nice!

Did you take your inspiration for this table from Rudolph's Silver and Gold song? :reindeer2:

The bowl is just silver and gold floating candles. The 2 colors didn't look as good together in the bowl as I thought they would. I was also going to use both silver and gold place card holders and crackers, but it looked better with just the gold. Rudolph wasn't the inspiration, but I definitely thought of the song when I was putting it together.
I am planning on doing something similar with some floating snowflake candles, and snowflake place card holders I got on clearance last year.

JollyElfDC
10-17-2021, 07:17 PM
This was one of my favorites. I have since purchased some deer napkin rings and place card holders, so I'm going to redo it some time in the future. Try as I might, I couldn't get the creases out of the tablecloth. I must have washed and ironed it 4 times! 7589

JollyElfDC
10-17-2021, 07:19 PM
Oh, that's festive! Is that a sack of gifts in the middle of the table? I see what you mean by the length of the runner, but at least it makes it easier to appreciate the detail on it.

I paid a friends mother to make the Santa sack centerpiece.

Mistletoe
10-26-2021, 02:25 AM
The bowl is just silver and gold floating candles. The 2 colors didn't look as good together in the bowl as I thought they would. I was also going to use both silver and gold place card holders and crackers, but it looked better with just the gold. Rudolph wasn't the inspiration, but I definitely thought of the song when I was putting it together.
I am planning on doing something similar with some floating snowflake candles, and snowflake place card holders I got on clearance last year.
I see...what I thought were lights on the table was a reflection of lights. Did the floating candles last long? Mine always burn down quickly.
I have some snowflake candles, too. I never think to put them on the table, though. I look forward to your snowflake table pic when it's done!

Mistletoe
10-26-2021, 02:50 AM
This was one of my favorites. I have since purchased some deer napkin rings and place card holders, so I'm going to redo it some time in the future. Try as I might, I couldn't get the creases out of the tablecloth. I must have washed and ironed it 4 times!
I like that! The sled looks great and I can imagine the table with the deer holders and rings- it should come out nice!
I'm so tired of trying unsuccessfully to get creases out of tablecloths (mine are resistant, too)! I really should look into permanent press.

JollyElfDC
10-26-2021, 04:00 PM
I'm so tired of trying unsuccessfully to get creases out of tablecloths (mine are resistant, too)! I really should look into permanent press.
Preach it! I thought I was the only one with that problem! It was getting to the point that if I spent anymore time on the tablecloth, I wouldn't have had time to make the food!

Bishop1954
10-26-2021, 08:41 PM
I just toss mine in the dryer on steam refresh and then make sure to pull it out hot... lol

dntran2103
11-03-2021, 03:51 AM
I have an idea for Christmas Eve with my lover. Hope he likes it. Cakes and romantic candlelit evenings, just like in the movies

Bishop1954
11-06-2021, 02:52 PM
There you go and maybe add a Hallmark movie to finish with coffee or a glass of wine... :xmaswink:

Mistletoe
11-07-2021, 12:11 AM
Preach it! I thought I was the only one with that problem! It was getting to the point that if I spent anymore time on the tablecloth, I wouldn't have had time to make the food!
:santahat: Seriously. Because I start to become OCD about it, like if I just leave the iron on it a little longer, it HAS to go away.

I had to go check, and I don't have 'steam refresh' as an option on my drier. I've tried putting it in the drier with a wet towel or something and that doesn't work. So, basically I have to get it completely soaking wet and then dry it, which I usually never remember until I no longer have the time to do that. :dizzy:

Mistletoe
11-07-2021, 12:14 AM
:welcome: dntran2103!

Your Christmas Eve plan sounds nice!

JollyElfDC
11-08-2021, 11:47 PM
I have an idea for Christmas Eve with my lover. Hope he likes it. Cakes and romantic candlelit evenings, just like in the movies

:welcome:
Sounds lovely!

Bishop1954
11-10-2021, 05:41 PM
Right now the table is set for Thanksgiving (to include a "Gobble till you wobble" plush turkey), but the stuff is ready to replace it on the following Friday... :home:

JollyElfDC
02-09-2023, 10:45 PM
Op here. Here are the tables I did for Christmas 2022. I’m having some issues uploading, so I hope they work.

7612. 7613

Bishop1954
02-10-2023, 03:11 PM
Mine was a bit different this past year, since it was just my wife and I... :tree:

Bishop1954
02-10-2023, 03:14 PM
Not certain why the photo kept coming in upside down... oh well

JollyElfDC
02-10-2023, 03:46 PM
Mine was a bit different this past year, since it was just my wife and I... :tree:

It looks like you put family photos of those who weren’t there. I LOVE that idea!

Bishop1954
02-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Yes. That is exactly what I did and for that reason. That way, we could feel like they were still with us at dinnertime... :home:

Mistletoe
02-15-2023, 01:30 AM
Op here. Here are the tables I did for Christmas 2022. I’m having some issues uploading, so I hope they work.
Very nice! The lanterns and the presents centerpiece really add charm! Are those stars or snowflakes on the black runner?

Mistletoe
02-15-2023, 01:44 AM
Fun placemats and napkins. :santa: I like how the two of you sat next to each other facing the photos and how the table feels full, with the decorations and candles, as if it were full of people. And I agree, the photos were an excellent idea!

JollyElfDC
02-15-2023, 01:14 PM
Are those stars or snowflakes on the black runner?
I would have to pull it out of storage to look. I just assumed they were stars. I bought it on sale a few years ago after Christmas, and I checked with the sales woman to check it was a Christmas item. It didn’t scream Christmas like the others in the pile. I’m not positive, but I think I purchased the black/silver/gold present centerpiece at the same store ( Hobby Lobby).

Bishop1954
02-19-2023, 02:27 PM
Have not thought much about the table after I put it down, but this year I want to do something more. Just not sure what... yet. :santa2:

Mistletoe
03-12-2023, 01:48 AM
I would have to pull it out of storage to look. I just assumed they were stars. I bought it on sale a few years ago after Christmas, and I checked with the sales woman to check it was a Christmas item. It didn’t scream Christmas like the others in the pile. I’m not positive, but I think I purchased the black/silver/gold present centerpiece at the same store ( Hobby Lobby).
It all looks really nice. You haven't used your Nutcracker napkin rings yet, right?

JollyElfDC
03-12-2023, 05:14 PM
It all looks really nice. You haven't used your Nutcracker napkin rings yet, right?
No. I’m waiting to do a nutcracker table.

Bishop1954
03-16-2023, 01:20 PM
That sounds like a really cool theme and I do have a few nutcrackers. 2023 will see it. Thanks for the idea... :christmasdinner:

Mistletoe
04-29-2023, 04:29 PM
I like nutcrackers. I don't know why I have never done a nutcracker theme. I think I only own 2 or 3.

Bishop1954
04-29-2023, 05:29 PM
I have not done one before either, but I started picking up a new one every other year (I only have so much space)... lol :christmasdinner:

vhcjuliet
07-25-2023, 11:19 AM
I just want to eat grilled chicken for the holidays. :d

Bishop1954
09-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Nothing wrong with that. I think this year I am going to make my wife some Tri-tip... :christmasdinner:

Elf_Erv
09-26-2023, 04:42 PM
farm house kitchen table, warm fireplace. those were the days. Now days people fix a plate and eat in front of the tv :elf2:

JollyElfDC
09-26-2023, 06:03 PM
farm house kitchen table, warm fireplace. those were the days. Now days people fix a plate and eat in front of the tv :elf2:

Guilty, but I live alone, and definitely not during Christmas dinner! As a matter of fact, nobody is allowed to eat dinner unless they wear the hat from the Christmas cracker.

Bishop1954
09-26-2023, 10:39 PM
When I lived alone (especially in the military), many a Christmas dinner was spent in front of the TV. But of course, it was usually tuned into some Christmas movie or special... :snowman: