PDA

View Full Version : Evening all! I'm working on a project, and I thought i'd share it so far!

mikaldinho
04-20-2015, 01:54 AM
Side note: HI EVERYONE! Sorry I've been so inactive, I say this everytime, I know. I have no excuse this time! I work fewer hours every week now, and I spend alot of time online!

Anyways, here goes:

I've been working on a small, Christmas themed game project for a while now, and it's starting to take shape, so I thought I would show it to you all.

http://i.imgur.com/EbD8auU.png
(some of the art isn't final, other parts are!)

Currently, Santa is able to move, the snow falls in a natural sort of way, and the tree lights up :D
You're able to pick up the presents, and once you have all of them, it takes you to the next level. I've currently made 10 levels, all of which vary in difficulty.

I'll make a download available as soon as I polish it a little bit.

Now, for something I require your help with:
When this game is finished, and released (hoping to release it completely around the end of October, with 100+ levels, bunch of other features, better art, etc.), it's going to be released on a Pay-What-You-Want system, with every penny going to charities that help those who don't get a Christmas. Why not help spread the joy that way? Christmas shouldn't leave anyone out!

Does anyone know of any charities that do something like this, or charities that you would like to see the money go to?

Thanks for reading this, I can't wait to hear everyone's feedback, and thoughts on Charities!

Much love,
Michael :santahat:

SnowAngel
04-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Hi Michael,
I know, I say the same all the time as well after I've been gone for so long :gelf:

This game looks cool; at first glance, it looks like a Christmas version of Tetris haha. I would love to spread the word about it once it's done - I could write a post on my blog. Sorry, I don't know of any charities like this.

MinnesotaMike
04-20-2015, 02:33 PM
The biggest Christmas charity I know of is Toys For Tots. I think it's an American charity though. I don't think it's international.

mikaldinho
04-20-2015, 02:53 PM
The biggest Christmas charity I know of is Toys For Tots. I think it's an American charity though. I don't think it's international.

Do toys for tots only provide for children in the US? As long as this game helps bring Christmas to those who don't have it, I'm fine with it :D

MinnesotaMike
04-20-2015, 05:00 PM
I think that's correct. Every year in November, it's a massive toy/money drive to provide gifts to kids who don't get anything for Christmas. A very wide variety of businesses participate in it every year, either by being a toy drop off point, or doing toy/fundraisers with their employees, etc...

It's a pretty big deal every year.

MinnesotaMike
04-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Here's a link to their website:
http://www.toysfortots.org/default.aspx

MinnesotaMike
04-20-2015, 05:05 PM
It's closely tied to the United States Marine Corps, so I assume it's USA only.

mikaldinho
04-20-2015, 06:32 PM
hmmm, I'll keep them under consideration.

I'd definitely prefer an international charity, if possible.

mikaldinho
04-22-2015, 03:34 AM
Here's a small update:
http://i.imgur.com/ieZtt17.png

As you can see, I've began to change up some graphics within the game, tidy then up and make the game look smarter!

I've also added a little score keeper in the top left corner of the screen, every time you collect a present, you now hear a little Christmas bell noise, and it adds 1 point to your total!

Also, once you have collected all the presents on each level, the North pole sign glows up red and white (in the picture it is red/white by default. in the game, it is greyed out until all presents have been collected!), and you simply have to pass santa over it to go to the next level!

Hope all is well on the forum, I'm much more of a lurker than a poster these days, but I'm always around now! <3

ornamentmaven
04-22-2015, 03:09 PM
I'm not a good one to give an opinion on any computer games. I think the last computer game I played was Mario Brothers!

mikaldinho
04-27-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm not a good one to give an opinion on any computer games. I think the last computer game I played was Mario Brothers!

The game is rather similar to the Mario franchise; both are platformers, both are easy to understand, and both are great fun! :D

There'll be another update post soon enough; most likely later this week. I may also be able to provide a playable demo for those interested! :D

Moley
05-24-2015, 05:25 PM
How about adding advanced levels where a Grinch tries to take away your presents, and the only way to stop him is to accurately throw a mince pie (or reindeer poop!) at him?

*Snowflake*
05-26-2015, 03:44 PM
wonderful idea, it really looks good:elf3:

tinkerbell2
05-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi, Michael,
Been a long time, I like your game it should do well.

X x

mikaldinho
07-07-2015, 03:06 AM

So, Here’s a small update:

I’ve been working some crazy hours lately, but I have found time to make progress on the game!

As you can see, there is now different presents in the game! Currently they all give out the same score, though I’m thinking of changing this soon!

I’ve also tidied up the in game HUD a little, making it show the score with text. I may change this in the future to a fun little graphic, who knows?

Right now, I’m working on changing the textures of the game, adding a menu, the ability to save/load, and adding little effects here and there to make it more… cute?

It’d be great to hear everyone’s suggestions for the game! I’m making great progress, and should still be releasing it on time! :)

I plan on getting a basic copy of the game out to those interested, pretty soon!

I’ll update this blog as soon as I next update the game!

Thanks for reading!

Moley
07-09-2015, 10:23 AM
How about a Christmas soundtrack?

mikaldinho
07-11-2015, 10:46 AM
How about a Christmas soundtrack?

Working on it!

Finding decent xmas music that isn't copyright limited is difficult!

Something worth mentioning:

I've managed to get a voice actor to make a bunch of Santa Claus quotes, which you will be able to hear throughout the game!