PDA

View Full Version : Your top 10 favorite Christmas songs of all time.....GO!

wstaple
11-26-2014, 02:37 PM
There's No Place Like Home for the Holidays - Perry Como
Merry Christmas Darling - Carpenters
I'll Be Home For Christmas - Tony Bennett
Celebrate Me Home - Kenny Loggins
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
Christmas in Dixie - Alabama
Tennessee Christmas - Amy Grant
Sleigh Ride - Boston Pops
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
The Most Wonderful Time of the Year - Andy Williams

Merry Christmas Darling
11-27-2014, 04:46 AM
Merry Christmas Darling - Carpenters

Awww...how did you know?

Santa57
12-08-2014, 06:56 PM
Man, this is hard! It'd be easier to list the ones I *don't* like! I can say that most were written in the '40s, with the notable exception of Merry Christmas Darling. Though the lyrics to it were written in 1946. Took me 26 years to get a copy of that song! Grr. :santa1:

Major correction. I should've said most of my favorites were written in the '40s or earlier! Listening to The Messiah and it occurred to me what I'd posted! So very many of the most beautiful songs ever written are hundreds of years old.

E.S.
12-12-2014, 01:57 PM
Skating - Vince Guaraldi
Carol of the Bells - Berlin Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear - Odyssey2
Christmas is Coming - Vince Guaraldi
The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole
A Wonderful Christmas Time - Paul McCartney
Air on the G String Suite no. 3 - J.S. Bach
Jingle Bells - Odyssey2
Christmas Time is Here - Vince Guaraldi

ornamentmaven
12-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Hmmm... I missed this one before, and it is a difficult one to answer. So here goes:

I'll Be Home for Christmas - Bing Crosby
Christmas Time Down South - Charlie Daniels
Winter Wonderland - Andy Williams
Merry Christmas Darling - The Carpenters
The Christmas Song - Frank Sinatra
All I Want for Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
Silver Bells - Perry Como
It's Beginning to Look a lot Like Christmas - Dean Martin
Little Drummer Boy/ Peace on Earth - Bing Crosby and David Bowie

steph535
12-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Although I think this is a great thread, I am not going to answer for 2 reasons. Number 1: it's too hard. There's no way I could narrow it down to just 10, and 2: most people would not recognize any of the selections on my list.

E.S.
12-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Steph535,

You've got my curiosity piqued. There's a chance I've heard at least some of them. If not, I'd love to discover some great new Christmas music!

steph535
12-13-2014, 12:53 AM
Steph535,

You've got my curiosity piqued. There's a chance I've heard at least some of them. If not, I'd love to discover some great new Christmas music!

I can't say the music I like is new because most of it is pretty old. It's mostly classical. And I can't name A particular song or carol by A particular artist or choral group. I could name a carol or a list of carols but, several artist and groups do them well.

One singer that was in a class by himself has to be Ivan Rebroff. He had a 4-octave vocal range, I believe. He was mostly known for singing Russian folk songs, but he did have a couple Christmas records. You can find many of his songs on youtube. My favorite Christmas song of his has to be Russisches Schlittenlied.

Some people find him difficult to take but, Alfred Deller and the Deller Consort is another one I like, perhaps because my parents had both of their Christmas albums while I was growing up. My children grew up with those two albums, as well. Alfred Deller was a counter-tenor.

I also love just about any Christmas music sung by the choir or chorus of Kings College, Cambridge. Then there's the Boston Pops, the Robert Shaw Chorale, the Roger Wagner Chorale, Music Box Christmas, Chanticleer (mostly the Sing We Christmas album), the Canadian Brass (mainly their album Christmas With the Canadian Brass with the Great Organ of St Patricks Cathedral - it doesn't get much more festive than this).

I could list several more but...this thread is supposed to be a list of our top 10 favorite Christmas 'Songs' not albums, so I don't really want to take away from or change the direction of wstaple's original idea

E.S.
12-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Steph535, I agree it's a great post but I appreciate you sharing. I always love to discover new Christmas music.

ChristmasFanatic
11-24-2015, 06:32 AM
This is always a tough question, but I'll try to limit myself to 10

01) Carol of the Bells--Robert Shaw Chorale
02) Jingle Bells--Frank Sinatra
03) Ring Those Christmas Bells--Peggy Lee
04) White Christmas--Bing Crosby
05) It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year--Andy Williams
06) The Little Drummer Boy--Harry Simeone Chorale
07) Sleigh Ride--Boston Pops
08) Winter Wonderland--Dean Martin
09) The Christmas Song--Nat King Cole
10) Joy to the World--Ella Fitzgerald

ornamentmaven
11-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Well ChristmasFanatic - you seem to like the classic Christmas crooners - just like me. I've been watching/listening to Christmas classics on tv - MC Sounds of the Season.