PDA

View Full Version : most memorable Christmas album/tape from your childhood?

wstaple
10-03-2014, 04:22 PM
When I was small, my parents had Perry Como's "Perry Como Sings Merry Christmas Music" album. Scratches and all, it would play all during the holidays in our home.

In the early 70's, my dad had changed over from albums to 8-tracks. We always had music on in the house and in the cars, but my parents didn't buy a lot of tapes or albums. The Christmas 8-track tape that I remember most was "The Little Drummer Boy" by Living Voices. This was the track list:

Medley - Jingle Bells/Sleigh Ride
A Holly Jolly Christmas
Medley - Silver Bells/Little Christmas Tree Waltz
Be A Santa
Medley - Pine Cones and Holly Berries (with It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas)/We Wish You A Merry Christmas
The Little Drummer Boy
Do You Hear What I Hear
I Heard The Bells Of Christmas Day
Blue Christmas
What Are You Doing New Year's Eve

If you're old enough to remember 8-track tapes, you probably remember that sometimes a song would start on one track then finish on the next track. That clicking sound, signifying the change of tracks, would always annoy me because it would interrupt the song. But the songs of this tape would fill our house throughout the Christmas season. My dad, who always had a great tenor voice, would sing along with the tape as he did things in the house. The memories that created are priceless.

About 8 years ago, I decided to buy the CD version of this tape for my Dad as a Christmas present. When I started looking for it, I didn't realize how much of a collector's item the CD had become. I found the CD on eBay and put in a bid. I told myself I'd go as high as $25 and I stuck to it. I watched the price increase for 3 days, and it ended up selling for $230. I couldn't believe it! However, thanks to yahoo search I was able to find the album from a record store in Canada. They even included a copy of the album on CD. The total cost was something like $35. Dad was so excited to get it that Christmas, and I remember him saying "I've missed this music so much!"

The following year, a couple of days after Thanksgiving, I was sitting at my desk one morning and Dad called me from his car. He was on his way to work and he wanted to let me know that he was listening to his his Living Voices CD that morning. He said, "I can't believe all the memories that this brings back. It makes me think about all those Christmases when you and your sisters were little!"

What was your favorite Christmas album growing up?

ornamentmaven
10-03-2014, 06:01 PM
Growing up, I would have to say that the very same Perry Como album was my favorite Christmas record. My parents always had a lot of instrumental Christmas albums, but I always preferred vocals!

noelglori
10-06-2014, 11:02 PM
My Bing Crosby White Christmas album. I love his style and arrangement of Santa Claus is coming to town with the Andrew Sisters. And of course no one sings White Christmas like Bing.

steph535
10-07-2014, 04:20 AM
Gosh, it's too hard to just pick one, I loved them all. Maybe a toss up between the Roger Wagner Chorale album 'Joy to the World' and 'A Music Box Christmas' from the collection of Rita Ford.

Santa57
10-08-2014, 01:56 PM
These are actually 3 albums, but were my favorites then and still are. The Columbia/Goodyear Great Songs of Christmas, albums 3, 4 and 5, released in 1963, '64 and '65 respectively.

Sometime in July of this year, I found out that something had chewed up many of the LP jackets and sleeves, leaving a really tough residue on the records themselves. Naturally, those 3 were among the worst. But after a lot of reading, experimentation and time, I was able to get virtually all of it cleaned off. Amazingly, they actually sound better than they did before! Then I got curious about really thorough record-cleaning techniques, and ended up making a sort of do-it-yourself record cleaning machine. Amazing how much dirt gets embedded in old LPs, and how great they can still sound after cleaning. They're better than the CDs I put them on 10 years ago.

The main point of all this is that, while the albums are easily replaceable, the sentimental value can't be. Every year for those 3 years, my dad would bring one home and they'd play virtually nonstop around Christmass. Sort of a long-winded reply, I know! :)
:snowman:

ornamentmaven
10-08-2014, 02:24 PM
Bing Crosby is the best!

Mistletoe
10-14-2014, 01:06 AM
That's great that your Dads enjoyed Christmas music that much!

Gene Autry was my favorite growing up. Johnny Mathis was probably my second.

oregongirl62
11-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Actually...I need help remembering my favorite Christmas album as a kid in the mid 1960's! My parents had some wonderful Xmas albums...The Ray Conniff Singers, Nat King Cole, Big Crosby...and my favorite: it was an all-boys choir and they had a "guest" singer on some of the songs, a woman who sang opera. The cover was green, and there were 3 or 4 boys in winter clothes in the snow on the front, with one of the boys by himself on the back. I can see it as plain as if it were yesterday (I'm 52 now)...even google imaged "boys choir xmas albums of the 1960"...couldn't find it! Are my parents the ONLY ones who bought this album??? I hope one of you out there can help me...I'd really like to get the CD (if there is one)! Thanks!

ornamentmaven
11-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Oregongirl. I will check with my Mom. We also had a boy's choir Christmas album in the 1960's and I think the cover was green. Maye she'll remember

oregongirl62
11-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Oregongirl. I will check with my Mom. We also had a boy's choir Christmas album in the 1960's and I think the cover was green. Maye she'll remember

FABOO! You ROCK, ornamentmaven! I put in a call to my parents last night...in hopes they MAY have saved their collection of xmas albums...but if not, and you come through...you'll be talking to one happy little elf here!:presents1:

ornamentmaven
11-22-2014, 03:57 PM
I am calling her today! She has a good memory about most things - but others, she's clue-less!

ornamentmaven
11-22-2014, 04:00 PM
My most memorable Christmas album from childhood was a Bing Crosby one - with White Christmas and I'll be Home for Christmas. Don't know the official name, but it was great

Santa57
11-22-2014, 04:44 PM
Oregongirl, I hope somebody can help, things like that can drive ya crazy trying to remember! It just doesn't ring any bells with me. All I could think of was the Vienna Boy's Choir.

Ornamentmaven, it's hard to go wrong with Bing! So very many truly priceless Christmass albums by so many, I'm not sure I could choose!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-23-2014, 12:14 AM
This is the only album I remember that my mother had:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/FirestoneChristmas.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/FirestoneChristmas.jpg.html)

And that was between stepfathers. I was thirteen I think. We had lousy Christmases with the two stepfathers.

But I remember my Boston Pops album that we listened to right after we got married. I chose it, loved it, still have it and even bought a CD of it. I always think of this album first.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops1_zpsb6aae47a.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops1_zpsb6aae47a.jpg.html)http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops2_zps61d0a0f5.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops2_zps61d0a0f5.jpg.html)

steph535
11-23-2014, 12:58 AM
This is the only album I remember that my mother had:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/FirestoneChristmas.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/FirestoneChristmas.jpg.html)

And that was between stepfathers. I was thirteen I think. We had lousy Christmases with the two stepfathers.

But I remember my Boston Pops album that we listened to right after we got married. I chose it, loved it, still have it and even bought a CD of it. I always think of this album first.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops1_zpsb6aae47a.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops1_zpsb6aae47a.jpg.html)http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops2_zps61d0a0f5.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/BostonPops2_zps61d0a0f5.jpg.html)

Don't know anything about the first album, but the Boston Pops Christmas albums are always good.

ornamentmaven
11-23-2014, 01:54 AM
Oregongirl - no luck with my Mom- she doesn't remember it at all

Merry Christmas Darling
11-23-2014, 03:11 AM
As you can see, The Columbus Boychoir sang with Bing Crosby(spell check doesn't want boychoir to be one word):

Leonard Bernstein Kaddish Symphony, Private Label (1966), The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
Columbus Boychoir School 25th Anniversary Concert, June 5 1965 (1965), Private issue, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director, Live concert recording, Westminster Choir College
Columbus Boychoir Christmas Concert, December 1964 (1964), Private issue, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director, Live concert recordings, Alexander Hall (Princeton), 12-inch LP recordings of excerpts from Christmas portion of Handel’s Messiah (+Hallelujah), 10-inch LP recording of Christmas carols
Firestone presents Your Favorite Christmas Carols (1963), Columbus Boychoir with the Rise Stevens, Brian Sullivan, and the Firestone Orchestra and Chorus, Donald Bryant, director
Family Christmas Favorites, c. 1962, Decca, The Columbus Boychoir with Bing Crosby, Donald Bryant, Conductor
The Columbus Boychoir, c. 1962, Donald Bryant, Music Director
Christmastime, c. 1960, Decca, The Columbus Boychoir with other choirs, Donald Bryant, conductor
Singing for the Joy of It (1961), Decca DL 74135, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
Joy to the World, c. 1960, Decca DL 78920, The Columbus Boychoir, Donald Bryant, Music Director
The Columbus Boychoir, c. 1960, Gothic, The Columbus Boychoir with the Princeton Chamber Orchestra, Nicholas Harsanyi, Conductor; Joanna Richard, Soprano; Rachel Armstrong, Alto, Donald Bryant, Conductor
Festival of Song (1955), Decca DL 8106, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, Music Director
Arrigo Boito Mephistofele “Prologue” (1954), RCA, The Columbus Boychoir with the NBC Symphony Orchestra, Arturo Toscanini, Conductor; Nicola Moscona, Bass., Herbert Huffman, Conductor, Taken from the broadcast of March 14 (1954)
Amahl and the Night Visitors, Original Cast of the NBC telecast (1951), RCA 6485-2-RG, American Boychoir chorister Chet Allen
The Lord’s Prayer; O Holy Night, c. 1950, RCA Victor, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, conductor
Favorite Christmas Carols, c. 1947, The Columbus Boychoir, Herbert Huffman, Music Director
The Columbus Boychoir – May 6 1947 concert, Herbert Huffman, Music Directo

Merry Christmas Darling
11-23-2014, 03:22 AM
Here's more:

Paper dated December 1, 1961

Columbus Boychoir To Sing
Christmas Opera At Barry
"Amahl and the Night Visitors,"
an opera which has now
become a traditional part of the
American observance of Christmas,
will be presented by the
Columbus Boychoir at 8:15 p. m.
Monday, Dec. 4, in the Barry
College auditorium.
* The concert, third attraction
of the Barry Culture Series,
will also include folk songs,
sacred music and spirituals.
Organized in Columbus, Ohio,
with an initial enrollment of 30
boys in 1940, the Boychoir attracted
attention throughout the
U. S. and after local and national
radio performances the boys
made their metropolitan debut
in New York's Town Hall in
Subsequent concerts were given
in Carnegie Hall, Radio City
Music Hall, the Academy of
Music in Philadelphia and
principal auditoriums throughout
the country. The boys, under
the direction of Donald Bryant,
have sung with the New York
Philharmonic, the Philadelphia
Orchestra, the NBC Symphony
under the baton of Toscanini
and the Bach Aria Group.
In addition to making a film
for RKO titled, "America's
Singing Boys," the choir, its
adult soloists, faculty members
and more than 1,000
pounds of "Amahl" scenery
and costumes, completed an
airborne 20,000 mile tour of 18
South and Central American
countries, singing more than
50 concerts in eight weeks to
audiences of nearly 75,000 Latin
Americans.
During the opera which will
be sung in English, Mary Evelyn
Bruce will be seen as the
mother of Amahl and Gerald
Carpenter, Alan Olsen and
Franklyn Ehrhardt will appear
as the Three Kings.
http://library.stu.edu/ulma/va/3005/1961/12-01-1961.pdf

My brother and his ex-wife used to teach at Barry.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-23-2014, 01:43 PM
I was wrong about the Firestone album; it hadn't come out when I was thirteen.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/ChristmasFirestoneVolume3Front_zpsd3d3a0b0.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/ChristmasFirestoneVolume3Front_zpsd3d3a0b0.jpg.htm l)

Santa57
11-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I was wrong about the Firestone album; it hadn't come out when I was thirteen.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Music/ChristmasFirestoneVolume3Front_zpsd3d3a0b0.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Music/ChristmasFirestoneVolume3Front_zpsd3d3a0b0.jpg.htm l)

I've always wanted to buy one of those. As far as I can remember, I've never heard one. From what I've been able to dig up, Firestone got the idea from Goodyear. Seeing the success of those albums, they decided to try it. Love the history of a lot of this stuff! :singing:

JollyElfDC
11-25-2014, 12:00 AM
Most memorable for me would be Alvin and the Chipmunks, and John Denver and the Muppet's. I remember buying the Muppet one with my own money. Every so often they will still play the Muppet version of "12 Days of Christmas" on the radio.

E.S.
12-03-2014, 04:08 PM
JollyElfDC! You just listed two of my favorites... especially John Denver and the Muppets! Great stuff!
I will also add Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas. It's my absolute favorite still to this day. It simply is not Christmas without "Skating".

mojean
12-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to recall my late moms favorite Christmas Story, it would be played on the radio maybe once during the holidays. It was a little story about a boy named Hey You, that is all i can remember about the story. Any information would greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Mojean

wstaple
08-16-2016, 06:55 PM
I lucked up and found a GREAT Christmas CD at a used record/book store at lunch. Christmas Through The Years (Reader's Digest) was another 8-track that we listened to when I was growing up. Great memories! :home:

And apparently, it's a little hard to find. I bought it for $4.95, and used copies on Amazon start at $35.

Winterseve
09-30-2016, 03:37 AM
We had a christmas cassette going up. It was an easy listening mix.

Aside from white christmas, have yourself a merry little Christmas, and santa baby (on of my fav's.), it was full of songs like christmas island and christmas alphabet....

Mistletoe
10-28-2020, 12:00 AM
We had a christmas cassette going up. It was an easy listening mix.

Aside from white christmas, have yourself a merry little Christmas, and santa baby (on of my fav's.), it was full of songs like christmas island and christmas alphabet....
I remember Christmas Island and Christmas Alphabet! I believe they were on my grandparent's 8-track...

Clueless in Seattle
10-29-2020, 02:01 PM
Hi oregongirl62!

Did you ever find that album you were looking for six years ago?

Actually...I need help remembering my favorite Christmas album as a kid in the mid 1960's! My parents had some wonderful Xmas albums...The Ray Conniff Singers, Nat King Cole, Big Crosby...and my favorite: it was an all-boys choir and they had a "guest" singer on some of the songs, a woman who sang opera. The cover was green, and there were 3 or 4 boys in winter clothes in the snow on the front, with one of the boys by himself on the back. I can see it as plain as if it were yesterday (I'm 52 now)...even google imaged "boys choir xmas albums of the 1960"...couldn't find it! Are my parents the ONLY ones who bought this album??? I hope one of you out there can help me...I'd really like to get the CD (if there is one)! Thanks!

Did you try posting over on Chip Arcuri's Yule Log Forum (heyulelog.aimoo.com)? He's got an incredible collection of Christmas LPs and a near photographic memory of all the album jacket artwork. So I'd bet that if anyone can identify that album for you, Chip is the guy.

Clueless in Seattle
10-31-2020, 02:23 AM
... my favorite: it was an all-boys choir and they had a "guest" singer on some of the songs, a woman who sang opera. The cover was green, and there were 3 or 4 boys in winter clothes in the snow on the front, with one of the boys by himself on the back. I can see it as plain as if it were yesterday (I'm 52 now)...even google imaged "boys choir xmas albums of the 1960"...couldn't find it! Are my parents the ONLY ones who bought this album??? I hope one of you out there can help me...I'd really like to get the CD (if there is one)! Thanks!

This question from six years ago piqued my curiosity, so I checked with Chip Arcuri, a.k.a. the Christmas Music Guru, who runs the Yule Log Message Board. He has an incredible collection of Christmas Music LPs and a near photographic memory for album jacket artwork, so I figured, if anyone could answer this question, it would be Chip.

If you are wondering what he came up with, you can find his answer by clicking this link:

Can You Identify This LP? (http://theyulelog.aimoo.com/topic/Can_you_identify_this_LP_-756930-1047-1)