PDA

View Full Version : Visiting big cities at Christmas time

HolidaySeason
11-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Is there anyone else here who loves visiting cities at Christmas time? I live a short train journey from London, so I always go into the city just before Christmas every year to soak up the festive atmosphere! There are some absolutely amazing lights in London, as well as the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland, a massive Christmas-themed fairground. Since the London Eye is always open until dark, it's something I do every year. The city looks just incredible all lit up from 135 metres in the air!

From photos I've seen, New York and Paris also look incredible, I'd love to visit these cities during a Christmas time.

Here are some photos from London at Christmas in previous years:

steph535
11-08-2013, 08:40 AM
great pics, HolidaySeason. I love the skating one.

ornamentmaven
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Beautiful photos. Love to go into New York City at Christmas time. I worked in the City for several years and it was always especially festive in December. My office was right across the street from Rockefeller Center and the huge Christmas tree. My Uncle Vito worked across the street from me and his office actually overlooked the tree. He would have a big office party every year at the lighting ceremony

HolidaySeason
11-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I was watching something about the Rockefeller Christmas tree just yesterday, about the family who were donating the tree. I didn't realise the tree just came from someone's front yard, lol!

ChantelleJoy
11-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Beautiful photos. Love to go into New York City at Christmas time. I worked in the City for several years and it was always especially festive in December. My office was right across the street from Rockefeller Center and the huge Christmas tree. My Uncle Vito worked across the street from me and his office actually overlooked the tree. He would have a big office party every year at the lighting ceremony

Ahh. As most everyone on the board knows, the last THREE YEARS I was able to visit NYC at Christmas time, and see the FAMOUS Rockefeller Tree. This year, however, with the baby, we're not going. We are going to Mexico for 10-days at the Start of December (couldn't be less christmassy trip, but I will enjoy the sun & beaches just the same!)

Toronto has TWO impressive trees. One, is at City Hall, and the other is in our Historic Distillery district - both are up now, but won't be decorated & lit until later in the month.

HolidaySeason
11-08-2013, 08:43 PM
^Well, Mexico is a mainly Christian country, it will probably be interesting to see how they celebrate it over there! :)

ornamentmaven
11-09-2013, 07:53 PM
I was watching something about the Rockefeller Christmas tree just yesterday, about the family who were donating the tree. I didn't realise the tree just came from someone's front yard, lol!

Yes - I think those who sponsor the tree have their eyes on many trees within the tri-state area (NY, NJ, and Connecticut). Then they seek donations

steph535
11-09-2013, 11:33 PM
didn't the Rockefeller tree come from Colorado last year or the year before?

MinnesotaMike
11-10-2013, 02:15 AM
didn't the Rockefeller tree come from Colorado last year or the year before?

I think they try to get it from a variety of places.

steph535
11-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I think they try to get it from a variety of places.

I was just wondering because OM had said the sponsors look for them in the tri-state area.

ornamentmaven
11-11-2013, 05:06 AM
I was just wondering because OM had said the sponsors look for them in the tri-state area.

Shipping the tree is an issue, so it generally comes from within an hour or two of NYC. This year it came from Shelton, Connecticut

Merry Christmas Darling
11-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Many Rockefeller trees were given to Rockefeller Center by donors. The late David Murbach,[4] Manager of the Gardens Division of Rockefeller Center, scouted in a helicopter for the desired tree in areas including Connecticut, Vermont, Ohio, upstate New York, New Jersey, and even Ottawa, Canada.[5] The trees are now scouted by the Head Gardner at Rockefeller Center, Erik Pauzé. Once a suitable tree is located, a crane supports it while it is cut, and moves it to a custom telescoping trailer that can transport trees up to 125 feet (38 m) tall, although the width of New York City streets passing through Rockefeller Center limits the height of the trees to 110 feet (34 m).
Once at the Rockefeller Center, the tree is supported[6] by four guy-wires attached at its midpoint, and by a steel spike at its base. Scaffolding is put up around the tree to assist workers in putting up 30,000 lights attached to 5 miles (8.0 km) of wiring.[7]
The star that has topped the tree since 2004 is 9.5 feet (2.9 m) in diameter and weighs 550 pounds (250 kg). This "Swarovski Star" was created by German artist Michael Hammers, who in 2009 additionally designed his own star lighting production. [8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tree_at_Rockefeller_Center

ornamentmaven
11-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Many Rockefeller trees were given to Rockefeller Center by donors. The late David Murbach,[4] Manager of the Gardens Division of Rockefeller Center, scouted in a helicopter for the desired tree in areas including Connecticut, Vermont, Ohio, upstate New York, New Jersey, and even Ottawa, Canada.[5] The trees are now scouted by the Head Gardner at Rockefeller Center, Erik Pauzé. Once a suitable tree is located, a crane supports it while it is cut, and moves it to a custom telescoping trailer that can transport trees up to 125 feet (38 m) tall, although the width of New York City streets passing through Rockefeller Center limits the height of the trees to 110 feet (34 m).
Once at the Rockefeller Center, the tree is supported[6] by four guy-wires attached at its midpoint, and by a steel spike at its base. Scaffolding is put up around the tree to assist workers in putting up 30,000 lights attached to 5 miles (8.0 km) of wiring.[7]

The star that has topped the tree since 2004 is 9.5 feet (2.9 m) in diameter and weighs 550 pounds (250 kg). This "Swarovski Star" was created by German artist Michael Hammers, who in 2009 additionally designed his own star lighting production. [8][9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tree_at_Rockefeller_Center

And, as massive as this tree is, it is dwarfed by the sky-scrapers surrounding it!

E.S.
12-05-2014, 02:05 PM
We used to visit Pittsburgh every year on the night before Christmas Eve. The Winter Garden at PPG Place always puts up a display of Santas from around the world. Seeing it was always my favorite part of the trip.
Over the past few years we've stopped going, simply because of the traffic and long work schedules. Besides, I now work in the city, and driving back in, after a long day, just isn't something I want to do.
A little side note: Unfortunately, for a brief time back in the early 00s, Pittsburgh went hyper-PC and did away with all references to Christmas. The powers-that-were renamed it: "Sparkle Season", and held the traditional Lighting of the "Unity Tree" Ceremony. Although I believe the Unity Tree still exists, the new city officials have dropped Sparkle Season.
Once again, we are free to wish people Merry Christmas in Pittsburgh!

olga
12-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Would love some time to visit a city during Christmas time, unfortunately, this has never happened, as we always have to gather every member of the family and all spend Christmas Holidays, together. Of course, a big problem as well, is that there can never be saved any money for anything.... And that's so bad ans so sad.

I just wish some day to visit New York and finally see the Rockefeller tree.
I would also love to visit German Christmas Markets. I really love the way they celebrate Christmas, in Germany.

Well, that is my dream and I hope it will come true, or, to say it better, I hope I can make it happen, some day.

*Snowflake*
12-08-2014, 11:11 PM
I would love to visit New York too one day.So far I have visited Graz and Klagenfurt,both in Austria during holidays:santa:

kerrykelin
12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Yes, during Christmas London city is filled with magic, lights, trees, holiday lights and much more. There are many clubs, bars, and restaurants in London to enjoy Christmas time. If you're looking to organise a stylish Christmas Party or just need Christmas party planner in London, we can book exclusive bar, club, restaurants for you.