PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Lights

tlazer
11-16-2008, 09:32 PM
I have been using the multi mini lights for years,But this year I would like to use the lights of my childhood years ya know the ones I'm talking about....I don't know the name but they are the large kind that maybe a count of 25 on each set.
What about you what colors and or types of lights do you use:jumping::rudolph:

glone
11-16-2008, 10:54 PM
I have fond memories of those big Christmas bulbs. Although, they do get pretty hot compared to the newer small ones. Might want to do some research about that before you burn your house down. I could be wrong about that though.

tlazer
11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
yes I remember the heat of them.I'm undecided maybe if I get a fake tree? I don't know:sad elf:

lynnenc
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I have one tree that is all ornaments that are 40years or older and passed down from grandmothers, my mother and my late husbands grandmother and mother. Last year was the first year I set it up that way and I had mini lights on it but this year I am going to do the older lights. The new/older looking lights are not near as hot as the originals. I have some of the originals and am debating on using them - the cord is still good so that is not a problem - it is just the heat

onemagicalchristmas
11-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I like the newer mini lights myself. They are not as heated and look like twinkling stars.

tlazer
11-17-2008, 12:05 AM
you mention the new older looking ones can you describe it for me?

lynnenc
11-17-2008, 12:23 AM
they are the C7 size bulb - the kind that are used in the Christmas window candles and also nightlights. you can buy strands of them. I also think you can get the same look in the new LED lighting but I am not ready to switch over to LED yet. Target has a nice wide variety of older looking lights for Christmas trees in LED

tlazer
11-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Thank you Lynn I'll have to check it out

noelglori
11-17-2008, 01:49 AM
I bought some led lights which give you the look with the bigger bulbs. They are nice and they do not get hot and use less energy. I have them on one of my small wall trees and another small tree.

PumpkinJack81
11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
When I was a child I remember helping my dad put up strands of the C7 bulbs around our garage and elsewhere on the house...I remember them getting very hot, but I'm not sure if the new ones still get that way.
http://www.bettyschristmashouse.com/lights/images/LED_C7_bulbs.jpg

Here's a couple of links for you to check out tlazer:
http://www.bethlehem-lights.com/reels.htm
http://www.christmaslightsetc.com/C7-C9-Bulbs.asp
http://www.christmas-lights-direct.com/catalog/C7-C9-Strings--Bulbs-p-1-c-1913.html

And welcome to the forums! :waving:

JollyElfDC
11-17-2008, 03:16 PM
I have the mini lights, but for nostalgic reasons, I love the older bigger bulbs. I was looking at some yesterday in Target. Target also has aluminium or aluminium looking trees. If I had the room, I would also do a retro tree someplace. I don't see myself moving to a bigger place any time soon, so for now it's one tree only.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I have been using the multi mini lights for years,But this year I would like to use the lights of my childhood years ya know the ones I'm talking about....I don't know the name but they are the large kind that maybe a count of 25 on each set.
What about you what colors and or types of lights do you use:jumping::rudolph:

I have multi color C-7 lights outdoors. Last year I bought a pre-lit (white mini lights) tree for the living room and I have white mini lights on all my other indoor trees.

:christmastree:

My daughter is arranging the garland on my living room tree right now. :jumping:

onemagicalchristmas
11-17-2008, 11:53 PM
cool can't wait to see pics when it is all done. Are you using your Jim SHore ornaments? I hope so!

Donna-50
11-18-2008, 03:38 AM
I have used the minis for years. I use to like when they would twinkle independently instead of the whole string.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-18-2008, 03:49 AM
cool can't wait to see pics when it is all done. Are you using your Jim SHore ornaments? I hope so!

Aw shucks! We ran out of garland. I hope we can get some tomorrow. Yes, I'm using Jim Shore and other ornaments, too.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/IndentOrnament2.jpg

onemagicalchristmas
11-18-2008, 11:59 PM
I am anxious to see it. What kind of garland do you use. ?

tlazer
11-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks Bob great sites!!!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-19-2008, 03:30 AM
I am anxious to see it. What kind of garland do you use. ?

That is a BIG surprise because it's different than I've ever done before! I'm going out on a limb, so to speak.

PumpkinJack81
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks Bob great sites!!!

Glad you liked them! :waving:

JollyElfDC
11-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Do you have any pics of your Jim Shore tree Marhmallowworld? I would love to see the finished product.

onemagicalchristmas
11-30-2008, 09:52 PM
me too I love pics of decorated trees. :tree:

persimmonpudding
12-01-2008, 12:08 AM
I love the old big lights...maybe nostalgia...who knows. I have a LOT of the incandescents that are long, thin, and have the pointed tips (glass). However, I'm in the process of buying all LEDs...theiy're cooler, not the hazard, and cost MUCH less to run. I made the decision to switch last year. But it is funny...20 minutes ago I was reading yesterday's mail wherein our local power company wrote:

Use LEDs to light up your home this holiday season

The LED, a type of semiconductor, generates light when an electric current is passed through positive and negative materials. As there is no filament to heat, LEDs are 12 to 100 times more efficient than incandescents and generate less heat.* Benefits include:

• Energy savings – LEDs use a tiny fraction of kilowatt-hours (kwh) of energy compared to incandescents. During a 90-day holiday season using a 300-bulb string for six hours a day with an energy rate of 6.4˘ per kwh, you’ll pay $0.53 for a string of LED lights (0.05 kwh per bulb) versus $73.58 for a string of incandescents (7 kwh per bulb). LEDs cost more than incandescents; however, energy savings will allow costs to be recouped in the first season or two (be careful to review packages carefully as LEDs tend to be sold in shorter strings).

• Safety – LEDs run much cooler than incandescents, reducing fire hazards. Because they run much cooler, LEDs can be constructed with plastic bulbs instead of glass, reducing their likelihood to break. Make sure lights you purchase have a holographic “UL Listed” tag.

• Environment – LEDs do not use mercury and last at least twice as long as incandescent lights, reducing waste we create when throwing out old lights.

• Brightness – Mini-LEDs tend to be brighter than incandescents. Regular LEDs are a bit dimmer than incandescents, but the difference is moderate.

*Source: consumerreports.org

Merry Christmas Darling
12-01-2008, 06:18 AM
Do you have any pics of your Jim Shore tree Marhmallowworld? I would love to see the finished product.

I'll try to take pics soon. Right now I have too many storage containers in my living room. I have trouble going up and down the stairs to the basement because of arthritis in my knees. I keep almost all of my Christmas decorations downstairs.

This is last year's Jim Shore tree:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/Christmas2007170.jpg

Donna-50
12-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Pretty. I have containers all over my house also. Don't you just love it.:dizzy:

JollyElfDC
12-01-2008, 02:32 PM
I can't wait to see your full size one. My house is a mess right now too, and my tree isn't even up yet. lol

tlazer
12-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I know that the professionals when decorating tree's they say to use (for mini's) 100 lights per foot.What is it if you use the led's?:christmastree:

cinderedna
12-30-2008, 11:27 PM
You can always try LED C7 lights, they don't get hot like the regular C7s but they look just like them. I was planning on using them on my roof next Christmas, but you could also use them on your tree. ChristmasWorld is a good website to get them at. The lights on this site are apparently higher quality than what you get a target and other places, but still an excellent price. Oh and they also have the regular C7 lights. :christmastree:

Mistletoe
02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I love the C7 lights, but have been nervous to use them again. The LED's I've seen of them don't have the same rich color...they're on the cool side (colorwise).

I also miss the lights blinking independently- they would throw such pretty patterns on the walls and ceiling. :santa-smiley:

Donna-50
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
I use to love when the lights blinked independently. I haven't seen that in a long time.

reitan_family
02-22-2009, 08:54 PM
After Christmas, my wife and I took a few trips to the Wal-Marts with-in a 50 mile range and purchased several string boxes of "C9" bulbs that were mixed. But with enough colors, our daughter changed the strings to solid colors. I know that the power meter will spin this Christmas, but we will enjoy the color...:waving:

Mistletoe
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
After Christmas, my wife and I took a few trips to the Wal-Marts with-in a 50 mile range and purchased several string boxes of "C9" bulbs that were mixed. But with enough colors, our daughter changed the strings to solid colors. I know that the power meter will spin this Christmas, but we will enjoy the color...:waving:

There's someone around here that has all red lights- it's so pretty- they just glow. The single colors have such impact. :santa-smiley:

jwb
04-22-2009, 03:41 PM
I am already working on next year Christmas lights display for my own home. I found some great led Christmas lights on clearance sale here:

C6 lights http://www.trinorthlighting.com/Store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=185

C7 lights http://ledchristmaslighting.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

C9 lights http://ledchristmaslighting.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

You have to watch these sites, they have been putting items on clearance weekly.

Donna-50
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry I can't look at those sites. I have way to much Christmas stuff and I know I would see something that I don't need but really want.

PumpkinJack81
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
I am already working on next year Christmas lights display for my own home. I found some great led Christmas lights on clearance sale here:

C6 lights http://www.trinorthlighting.com/Store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=185

C7 lights http://ledchristmaslighting.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3

C9 lights http://ledchristmaslighting.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

You have to watch these sites, they have been putting items on clearance weekly.

Thanks for sharing the sites with us! And :welcome:to the forums! :waving:

jwb
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Thank you!

PumpkinJack81
04-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you!

You're welcome! :waving: Hope you've been enjoying yourself here! :D

onemagicalchristmas
04-25-2009, 12:16 AM
cool lights!

I am not sure whther I will put any lights up around the house this coming year. Hubby is so fickle and I just like my tree so much I would rather sit and watc it in the evenings!

PumpkinJack81
04-25-2009, 02:16 AM
cool lights!

I am not sure whther I will put any lights up around the house this coming year. Hubby is so fickle and I just like my tree so much I would rather sit and watc it in the evenings!

In the end you see your Christmas tree the most and why not take more time to make it prettier? :christmastree:You'll only see the lights on your house when you come home or leave.

eponabri
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
I use the C7's outside and around my windows, and on outside trees. They do get pretty warm, so if you are using an artificial tree, find out what material it's made of. Many are made from plastic materials and C7's might be too warm for those trees.

On my artificial trees, I use mini lights (strands of all white along with strands of multicolored), pearl lights in red, white and green, and bubble lights.

MelindaB
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
You are remembering C7 bulbs - I like them too, but I have an artificial tree now, so it is already lit by minis.
We switch up the light color outdoor every year. We go from all white, to all blue, to multi colors. When we do the all-blue, our house stands out from everyone else's, and my brother tells us we are decorating as if for Hanukkah.

Christmasplease
08-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Do you think it's ok to mix Led's and traditional lights outside the house?

eponabri
08-10-2009, 01:08 AM
Sure... why not?

Christmasplease
08-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Sure... why not?
Cool, I wasn't sure.

SnowAngel
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I use all clear lights and my decoration theme is mostly gold. I love decorating, is it time yet?

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Do you think it's ok to mix Led's and traditional lights outside the house?

If you do, will you let me know if and what the difference is between the LED colors and the traditional lights? When I see them lit in the stores the colors seem to be on the cool side...

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I use all clear lights and my decoration theme is mostly gold. I love decorating, is it time yet?

Practically!

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
We switch up the light color outdoor every year. We go from all white, to all blue, to multi colors. When we do the all-blue, our house stands out from everyone else's, and my brother tells us we are decorating as if for Hanukkah.

All blue sounds lovely, too.

Christmasplease
08-22-2009, 05:10 PM
If you do, will you let me know if and what the difference is between the LED colors and the traditional lights? When I see them lit in the stores the colors seem to be on the cool side...

There is a difference between the lights. The led's are not as bright. I'll see how it looks this year.

Donna-50
08-22-2009, 05:48 PM
With LED lights they are even different colors from brand to brand so if you use white you are better off buying the same brand every time.

artistreelights
10-17-2009, 01:29 AM
We use all types of lights, C7's, C5's and minis. I like the mini's the best because they take less electricity and the "old" biggies get really hot and I don't want to burn something down. I am looking forward to being able to afford the LED's as soon as they get down to a reasonable price. The long and short of it is for me, I like them all. We go all out and have over 50,000 lights, over 23 trees from 7 foot to 1 foot. We decorate the front of a long building that is about 365 feet in the front and we have decorated two floors of the building, one as a traditional Christmas and one as a Winter Wonderland and we are working on making the third floor into a Santa's Workshop. We have considered inviting people in but still haven't done it. Just enjoy the inside stuff for ourselves and get lots of drive by's.

As soon as I learn to post picture I will put some up. I have a WEB site but I am new to this forum and not able to post it yet or ??? . Anyway we use 'em all, sizes that is.:santa2:

CandyKara
10-20-2009, 12:52 AM
actually i just found the lights I was looking for all last year, they are multi coloured mini lights with a white cord which I couldnt find for the life of me!!!! But I was out early this year looking and it was a success, the only thing is I wanted the newer version, the energy saving ones but I couldn't find them, so I snatched these up before I got stuck using lights with a green cord on a white tree!

mithun
10-20-2009, 03:09 AM
Hei Guys,

Try this. I am sure you can find some small multicolor miniature lights. What i did is last time is really funny. ie, Arrange a pure white paper star, then stick these lights inside the star. Trust its superb, in the night view.

Thanks Mithun.

steph535
10-20-2009, 03:14 AM
Welcome to the boards, Mithun!:waving:

canivito2000
12-10-2010, 01:23 AM
I actually bought the C9 Warm White (as apposed to the Cool White, aka blue white) LEDs a few days ago. I put them on the house for one day before I decided they weren't what I was looking for. They weren't very bright & they had an inconsistency in the color. Some were more yellow in tint. Anyway, I took them down and returned them to Walmart. I searched all over town for the standard C9 bulb type lights and finally found them at Hobby Lobby. Gonna put them on the house tonight!:yahoo:

MinnesotaMike
12-10-2010, 06:30 AM
I have some incandescant and some LEDs. I have different things all over various places outside my house. I keep adding every year, and I'm certainly not going to throw away any lights that still work!! I can always find a place to put them!!

jeremy m
12-10-2010, 07:11 AM
i got both LED and old kind but the lights i only USE is LED,old kinds are just for a collectable reason(not for use even it still works)

cujiine
12-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I use... I'm not sure the kind.100ct mini lights? I think so.Then we have some of the multi-faceted ones out on the railing.

MinnesotaMike
12-11-2010, 12:10 AM
"mini" is a reference to the size of the bulb. There are LED and incandescent minis. However, I usually see LED minis in packs of 70. Also, you'd know by how much they cost. A 100 ct incan would be only a couple bucks, whereas LEDs would be about $12-$15.

blackdove
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I like the tiny LED lights that emit the bluish glow. I don't like the twinkling type though.

MinnesotaMike
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
I use some that twinkle, and some that don't. I like to mix it up around my display.