PDA

View Full Version : Decorating Agenda

ornamentmaven
08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Do you have a special way of decorating...a special order...a specific time frame? How long does it take you to complete your decorating?

I always start decorating Thanksgiving night. I start by taking down all of my everyday items and prepare a "blank slate" for my Christmas stuff that first night. On day one, I usually do my outside display. Day two is devoted to inside decorations (mantle, bathroom, Santas, Snowmen, Nutcrackers, Stuffed Animals, Doll tree and inside lights). Day three is my village set up (this is a MAJOR under-taking),. On day four, I set up my tree. I move alot slower than I used to so it is possible that I may go into the 5th day before all is finished.

I would start earlier in November, but I always host Thanksgiving dinner at my house. I love that holiday and like to give it it's own respect - autumn decor. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving falls late this year (Nov. 28th) so decorating won't be done until Dec. 2nd. My sister and her family are visiting from Seattle this year. It will be the first time in MANY years we've spent Christmas with them - so I want everything to be perfect! NO STRESS!!!

I may have to do a few things ahead of time - like the bathroom and doll tree!

*Snowflake*
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
that was nice to read ornamentmaven:elf3: I will also write later the way we decorate our house:home:

Merry Christmas Darling
08-31-2013, 08:01 PM
I've decided to start a tradition of setting up this display first.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Nativity/o31CC5DD2.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Nativity/o31CC5DD2.jpg.html)
Joseph is being added this year.

The rest of what I do depends on my mood and my energy level. I don't start the window decoration until after I've washed the window inside and out. The main tree gets done when my granddaughter L. can come over.

ornamentmaven
09-27-2013, 03:29 PM
I've decided to start a tradition of setting up this display first.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Nativity/o31CC5DD2.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Nativity/o31CC5DD2.jpg.html)
Joseph is being added this year.

The rest of what I do depends on my mood and my energy level. I don't start the window decoration until after I've washed the window inside and out. The main tree gets done when my granddaughter L. can come over.

Mary is so pretty. I usually plan to do the outside decorations first. This allows me to be flexible in case I need to change the date due to bad weather!

*Snowflake*
09-28-2013, 12:25 PM
beautiful ornament Mary:elf3: We first decorate for Saint Nicolas, we put stockings on the window and the rest of ornaments. Then in the middle of December we put our tree and decorate the rest of our house.At the end we put lights outdoor on our balcony.

Papa_Christmas
10-09-2013, 03:43 PM
I try to start the first of November in the hope that Papa's Christmas Wonderland is ready to light up by Thanksgiving.
A goal that is seldom achieved I might add.:elf2:

ChantelleJoy
10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
I guess I am lucky that I don't have to wait till after American Thanksgiving to start decorating - but since my Birthday is on November 23rd (and my Brother's is on November 27th) - it was always a rule in my house that we couldn't decorate for Christmas till after both Birthdays were over.

So, now that I'm an adult - I always start decorating after my birthday but before my Brother's birthday! ;)

Usually my Bedroom Tree goes up first - it's the only one that is decorated the exact same every year. Then, I'll do little touches around the house like garland and bathroom things. My Christmas Villiage usually gets set up sometime in the first week of December, followed by the Big Living Room Tree which we usually cut down the first or second weekend in December (this year it will be late - December 14th a mere 10 days before Christmas since I'll be in Mexico on Vacation from November 29th-December 9th!!!).

That's the plan, anyway - we'll see how it goes (I'm learning to be flexible with a Baby around!)

:merrychristmas:

AllIwantforChristmasisU
10-10-2013, 03:24 PM
My husband and I just bought our first home a year ago, so we really do not have too much décor, yet. I usually put my tree up pretty early in November, its fake so I don't have to worry about it dying, haha. I have a garland with lights that I put around the tv stand. I put out the blankets. I am really hoping to find some neat stuff this year.
This will also be the first year I decorate outside. I really want to string lights on the house, but I might have to get my dad to help (husband is afraid of heights...LOL!).

I am so, so excited. I cannot wait for Christmas music...everything!

ornamentmaven
10-10-2013, 03:51 PM
[QUOTE=AllIwantforChristmasisU;121508]My husband and I just bought our first home a year ago, so we really do not have too much décor, yet. I usually put my tree up pretty early in November, its fake so I don't have to worry about it dying, haha. I have a garland with lights that I put around the tv stand. I put out the blankets. I am really hoping to find some neat stuff this year.
This will also be the first year I decorate outside. I really want to string lights on the house, but I might have to get my dad to help (husband is afraid of heights...LOL!).

I know how it is to have a husband who is afraid of heights - so over the years I've learned to live with low-lying lights - shrubs, front door, lowest branches of trees. You may want to invest in a sculpture type of lighted Christmas decoration - like a set of deer.

AllIwantforChristmasisU
10-10-2013, 05:50 PM
[QUOTE=AllIwantforChristmasisU;121508]My husband and I just bought our first home a year ago, so we really do not have too much décor, yet. I usually put my tree up pretty early in November, its fake so I don't have to worry about it dying, haha. I have a garland with lights that I put around the tv stand. I put out the blankets. I am really hoping to find some neat stuff this year.

I know how it is to have a husband who is afraid of heights - so over the years I've learned to live with low-lying lights - shrubs, front door, lowest branches of trees. You may want to invest in a sculpture type of lighted Christmas decoration - like a set of deer.

Oooh, all good ideas! I never really thought about just keeping it within my height, haha.

Another reason he shouldn't be up there, well, this will probably matter more next year, but he is getting a kidney transplant VERY soon. It might be before this Christmas...right now my dad is supposed to be the Doner but my mom doesn't want it till happen till January. BUT, he got a call and is being tested for a potential doner next week, I don't know if that means they have one or what. They are having his mom test now too.

AllIwantforChristmasisU
10-10-2013, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=ornamentmaven;121522]

Oooh, all good ideas! I never really thought about just keeping it within my height, haha.

Another reason he shouldn't be up there, well, this will probably matter more next year, but he is getting a kidney transplant VERY soon. It might be before this Christmas...right now my dad is supposed to be the Doner but my mom doesn't want it till happen till January. BUT, he got a call and is being tested for a potential doner next week, I don't know if that means they have one or what. They are having his mom test now too.

Either way, he will probably be going on dialysis within the next month

steph535
10-10-2013, 07:37 PM
my dad was afraid of heights, too, but then our house was never decorated outside, and I have never done it, either, as an adult, oh...except for last year, I put a string of multi-colored lights on a little bush outside our apartment.

AllIwantforChristmasisU, prayers and best wishes for your husband. also, I am always a combination of excited and a little jealous of those who put their tree and/or decorations up earlier than most. as I read that you put your tree up in early November, inside I'm delighted, jumping up and down, and shouting, "YES!!!!!" yet I can't allow myself to do the same, even though there is no one stopping me. growing up, I was seemed to feel the joy of Christmas starting some time in September, and would start singing Christmas songs, much to the dismay and irritation of the rest of the family, some of who would exclaim, "it's NOT Christmas!" so, my mother, (who loved Christmas, and Christmas music, who got me loving Christmas, but who had no problem greatly limiting our Christmas time) declared there would be nothing having to do with Christmas until either a week or 10 days before the actual day. (I can't remember which.) anyway, I know it's silly, but I don't want to hear comments from family or friends if I were to put a tree up much before Thanksgiving. And, a part of me feels like Thanksgiving should be separate; it seems to get swallowed up by Christmas. then again, I understand people who say they can do both. I guess I would like some 'sign' (lol) that says, this is right and this isn't. but, of course, there is no official 'right' or 'wrong' as far as all this goes.

ornamentmaven
10-10-2013, 10:15 PM
[QUOTE=ornamentmaven;121522]

Thoughts and prayers are with him - best wishes for a successful transplant

AllIwantforChristmasisU
10-14-2013, 04:02 PM
my dad was afraid of heights, too, but then our house was never decorated outside, and I have never done it, either, as an adult, oh...except for last year, I put a string of multi-colored lights on a little bush outside our apartment.

AllIwantforChristmasisU, prayers and best wishes for your husband. also, I am always a combination of excited and a little jealous of those who put their tree and/or decorations up earlier than most. as I read that you put your tree up in early November, inside I'm delighted, jumping up and down, and shouting, "YES!!!!!" yet I can't allow myself to do the same, even though there is no one stopping me. growing up, I was seemed to feel the joy of Christmas starting some time in September, and would start singing Christmas songs, much to the dismay and irritation of the rest of the family, some of who would exclaim, "it's NOT Christmas!" so, my mother, (who loved Christmas, and Christmas music, who got me loving Christmas, but who had no problem greatly limiting our Christmas time) declared there would be nothing having to do with Christmas until either a week or 10 days before the actual day. (I can't remember which.) anyway, I know it's silly, but I don't want to hear comments from family or friends if I were to put a tree up much before Thanksgiving. And, a part of me feels like Thanksgiving should be separate; it seems to get swallowed up by Christmas. then again, I understand people who say they can do both. I guess I would like some 'sign' (lol) that says, this is right and this isn't. but, of course, there is no official 'right' or 'wrong' as far as all this goes.

My family always put it up right before Thanksgiving. When I got my own place I could hardly wait so I started putting it up maybe a week earlier, haha. I cannot wait for the radio station here to start playing 100% Christmas music. It has been like that since, gosh, forever, and I look forward to it every year. We used to have three stations who did that, but now its just two.

and thank you! We just found out my dad cannot be a doner anymore, because he has kidney stones. So, its back to square one. He goes in tomorrow for more testing, and I heard that there are three other potential doners, plus his mom is getting tested. If it comes down to it, I will test as well. I don't think our blood type matches, but they said something about doing a blood swap. It will be hard because I am in school, plus we have two kids.

I don't want this to put a damper on our Christmas this year, trying to stay optimistic for the children.

AllIwantforChristmasisU
10-14-2013, 04:03 PM
[QUOTE=AllIwantforChristmasisU;121592]

Thoughts and prayers are with him - best wishes for a successful transplant

Thank you so much! :)

ornamentmaven
10-14-2013, 04:32 PM
I can't wait to decorate myself. I think this year I will be putting up a few items before Thanksgiving - as it is SO late this year! I will most likely do my doll tree and bathroom a few days before Thanksgiving. My doll tree is in the bedroom and my bathroom Christmas decs are in non-traditional colors (purple and blue) so I can get away with it. I then have 4 days after Thanksgiving to get everything else done. I am going away on a 2 day Christmas trip December 2nd and 3rd with a good friend. We are taking a bus trip to Cape May, NJ to tour a number of victorian homes decorated for Christmas, take trolley tour of the lights, attend a Christmas show and dinner, and do a little shopping. Can't wait! It should be lot of fun but it really puts pressure on me to get the decorating done quickly!

steph535
10-14-2013, 07:11 PM
I can't wait to decorate myself. I think this year I will be putting up a few items before Thanksgiving - as it is SO late this year! I will most likely do my doll tree and bathroom a few days before Thanksgiving. My doll tree is in the bedroom and my bathroom Christmas decs are in non-traditional colors (purple and blue) so I can get away with it. I then have 4 days after Thanksgiving to get everything else done. I am going away on a 2 day Christmas trip December 2nd and 3rd with a good friend. We are taking a bus trip to Cape May, NJ to tour a number of victorian homes decorated for Christmas, take trolley tour of the lights, attend a Christmas show and dinner, and do a little shopping. Can't wait! It should be lot of fun but it really puts pressure on me to get the decorating done quickly!

so, how do you plan on decorating yourself, OM? are you going to dress up like a Christmas tree or what? maybe just pour a bunch of glitter on yourself? hee hee. j/k, of course. OM, that Christmas trip with your friend sounds wonderful! especially the victorian homes.

steph535
10-14-2013, 07:13 PM
My family always put it up right before Thanksgiving. When I got my own place I could hardly wait so I started putting it up maybe a week earlier, haha. I cannot wait for the radio station here to start playing 100% Christmas music. It has been like that since, gosh, forever, and I look forward to it every year. We used to have three stations who did that, but now its just two.

and thank you! We just found out my dad cannot be a doner anymore, because he has kidney stones. So, its back to square one. He goes in tomorrow for more testing, and I heard that there are three other potential doners, plus his mom is getting tested. If it comes down to it, I will test as well. I don't think our blood type matches, but they said something about doing a blood swap. It will be hard because I am in school, plus we have two kids.

I don't want this to put a damper on our Christmas this year, trying to stay optimistic for the children.

yep, as soon as I was married and had my own place, I started decorating right after Thanksgiving. no more of this waiting til a week before Christmas nonsense, lol.

ornamentmaven
10-14-2013, 09:15 PM
:
so, how do you plan on decorating yourself, OM? are you going to dress up like a Christmas tree or what? maybe just pour a bunch of glitter on yourself? hee hee. j/k, of course. OM, that Christmas trip with your friend sounds wonderful! especially the victorian homes.

Actually I do have a Christmas shirt that I plan to wear on my trip!!!:santa2:

ornamentmaven
10-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Here are some photos of the Christmas decorations I've purchased this year:

http://i.imgur.com/1EscpJel.jpg
Outside lighted display

http://i.imgur.com/C67kR4jl.jpg
Snowflake ornaments purchased for my Winter wonderland display

http://i.imgur.com/hDtBN3ul.jpg
Hallmark 2013 Yule log cake ornament

http://i.imgur.com/HAGjn6tl.jpg
Hallmark 2013 Madame Alexander ornament

http://i.imgur.com/NbtI373l.jpg
Hallmark dog 2013 ornament

ChantelleJoy
10-15-2013, 07:39 PM
I updated your post OM to show the photos and titles. :)

Wonderful finds - I love the snowflakes!