PDA

View Full Version : What do you do on Christmas Day?

Merry Christmas Darling
08-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Do you do anything besides eat and open gifts?

ornamentmaven
08-11-2013, 03:34 AM
No - basically that's our day!

Merry Christmas Darling
08-11-2013, 04:18 AM
No - basically that's our day!

Do you stay home or visit relatives? Do you watch TV?

frostythesnowman
08-11-2013, 06:58 AM
we stay at home..the whole family come to me every year..we just spend time with the kids after everone has left..:presents2:

ornamentmaven
08-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Do you stay home or visit relatives? Do you watch TV?

We have my husband's family over for Christmas Eve, so that is our big celebration. We open gifts in the morning then it's usually quiet time; maybe the girls will have their boyfriends come for dinner, as they did last year

Merry Christmas Darling
08-22-2013, 12:13 AM
We have my husband's family over for Christmas Eve, so that is our big celebration. We open gifts in the morning then it's usually quiet time; maybe the girls will have their boyfriends come for dinner, as they did last year

I sure appreciate you and frosty! I'm dying for Christmas and dreading it at the same time. :christmastree: I wish I could find someone who would enjoy helping me decorate. I know it's only August and the temperature is very hot outdoors, but my thoughts are of snowflakes and Christmas ornaments! http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Smiley%20Christmas/box_of_ornaments_2.gif (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Smiley%20Christmas/box_of_ornaments_2.gif.html)

My 89-year-old mother just went home from the hospital. She had congestive heart failure. She wants to make it through Christmas and I hope she does. When she's gone there's no one in the family who will get excited about Christmas with me. She lives so far away and doesn't have a camera that works, so I don't get to see her tree or help her with it, but we talk on the phone.

Penny Berry
11-03-2013, 05:56 PM
This year we are staying in Liverpool for our first family Christmas, I will wake up and make breakfast....bacon sandwiches and pancakes. And put on th coffee put with Christmas coffee. Fight my husband to get him out of bed (he REALLY hates mornings!) Get Amy out of her cot and take her into living room to show her Santa has arrived. (Being 11 months old i dont think she will get it but there is always hope) Have some family time with hubby and Amy. Ring my parents and laugh as my Dad who would be tipsy shouts over mum on the phone. Then pack up our car and go to in laws for Christmas dinner and more gift giving. Then whilst there await the obligatory strop which nephew pulls for the Grandparents.

Go home with a full (ish) belly and open up the special chocolates and Baileys then cosy up on the sofa watching more Christmas films
Then go on laptop and start the boxing day sales shopping for Amys birthday presents

Merry Christmas Darling
11-05-2013, 09:07 PM
This year we are staying in Liverpool for our first family Christmas, I will wake up and make breakfast....bacon sandwiches and pancakes. And put on th coffee put with Christmas coffee. Fight my husband to get him out of bed (he REALLY hates mornings!) Get Amy out of her cot and take her into living room to show her Santa has arrived. (Being 11 months old i dont think she will get it but there is always hope) Have some family time with hubby and Amy. Ring my parents and laugh as my Dad who would be tipsy shouts over mum on the phone. Then pack up our car and go to in laws for Christmas dinner and more gift giving. Then whilst there await the obligatory strop which nephew pulls for the Grandparents.

Go home with a full (ish) belly and open up the special chocolates and Baileys then cosy up on the sofa watching more Christmas films
Then go on laptop and start the boxing day sales shopping for Amys birthday presents

Wonderful post! This was what I was wondering, do people watch movies and play games? I'm excited because a package just arrived with a new game inside. http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Smiley%20Christmas/SmileyUPS.gif (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Smiley%20Christmas/SmileyUPS.gif.html)

I hate mornings too most of the time.

steph535
11-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Wonderful post! This was what I was wondering, do people watch movies and play games? I'm excited because a package just arrived with a new game inside. http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Smiley%20Christmas/SmileyUPS.gif (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Smiley%20Christmas/SmileyUPS.gif.html)

I hate mornings too most of the time.

usually, by christmas day, nobody wants to watch christmas movies (if we are at my sister's) and sometimes some of us might play a game, like balderdash, charades, pictionary, or maybe hearts. but, sometimes the older adults sit around and talk, with christmas music in the background, while the younger adults are off doing their own thing.

olga
11-05-2013, 11:31 PM
usually, by christmas day, nobody want to watch christmas movies (if we are at my sister's) and sometimes some of us might play a game, like balderdash, charades, pictionary, or maybe hearts. but, sometimes the older adults sit around and talk, with christmas music in the background, while the younger adults are off doing their own thing.

Christmas Day!! I would love to sit near the fireplace (wish i had..), drinking hot wine, reading my books, while listening to old Christmas jazz songs on player...

I usually spend Christmas day with family, have dinner all together, then, the younger (including me!!) go outside for a coffee or a drink with friends.

Hawks9
11-06-2013, 12:46 AM
We usually have family over, we eat, open presents and then the guys play poker while the ladies sit around and gossip. My friends usually have a tradition of meeting up Christmas night at a bar to celebrate but I usually skip out on that.. I tried it last year.. not for me. I rather spend the time with my family

MinnesotaMike
11-06-2013, 01:52 AM
Presents, break for sweet rolls, more presents...clean up all the wrappings. Then get ready to go to my in-laws and do it all over again. It's been the same now since the boys were born. We usually do Christmas with my parents & family on the Saturday after Christmas.

steph535
11-06-2013, 05:59 AM
Christmas Day!! I would love to sit near the fireplace (wish i had..), drinking hot wine, reading my books, while listening to old Christmas jazz songs on player...

I usually spend Christmas day with family, have dinner all together, then, the younger (including me!!) go outside for a coffee or a drink with friends.

I know what you mean about a fireplace, Olga. Both houses I lived in as a child had fireplaces. the first one had a regular fireplace and the second had a gas one with fake logs, but they looked almost real. I haven't lived in a house with a fireplace since.

olga
11-06-2013, 09:11 AM
I know what you mean about a fireplace, Olga. Both houses I lived in as a child had fireplaces. the first one had a regular fireplace and the second had a gas one with fake logs, but they looked almost real. I haven't lived in a house with a fireplace since.

Honestly, I would not mind doing anything else, than sitting near the fire, watch the flames, listen to beautiful classical Christmas melodies.
Hope one day, we live in a house with fireplace, friend. Were both so much old Christmas traditional, I think!! :)

steph535
11-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Honestly, I would not mind doing anything else, than sitting near the fire, watch the flames, listen to beautiful classical Christmas melodies.
Hope one day, we live in a house with fireplace, friend. Were both so much old Christmas traditional, I think!! :)

yes, we definitely are. and I think you mean 'classic' Christmas melodies, and not 'classical' just going by the type of Christmas music you have posted that you like over the years. Now, I, on the other hand, much prefer classical christmas music to classic Christmas music. (classic meaning the likes of Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, etc.....in other words, crooners.) :elf1:

polrwht07
11-19-2013, 04:59 PM
In years past when I was married Christmas started on Christmas Eve. My wife, son and I would go to my parents house, have dinner, and celebrate Christmas with them by opening gifts and just hanging out. Then we would go home, go to bed, and wake up the next morning and celebrate Christmas at our home and open gifts and such. Then the rat race began. It was up and at em, and on our way to her grandparent's house, then to dinner at her sister's house. It was a long day to say the least, and my son was not in the mood for missing his naps. One thing we began doing was eating a late dinner at the hibachi place in our town as they were open on Christmas. It was a fun tradition we just started. This year things will be different, my son and I will have Christmas at my parent's house, then he will wake up with me Christmas morning then I will take him to his mom's house.

HolidaySeason
11-20-2013, 03:57 AM
We usually begin opening presents between 9 - 10 AM in my family, and then chill out until Christmas dinner at around 1:00 PM. The dinner is a full roast, with Christmas pudding for dessert. The afternoon is spent with more chilling out (watching The Snowman if it happens to be on on Christmas Day this particular year), and then in the evening we lay out a buffet on the table and watch tons of Christmas specials on TV. Usually soap operas and Doctor Who, along with various others.

Aputernut
11-20-2013, 11:57 PM
It's only the 2 of us retired couple, we do open pkgs. that are ordered online months before, and later early evening, we go out of town to a big dinner theater for an awesome huge buffet and a big production broadway type show.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-22-2013, 12:10 AM
In years past when I was married Christmas started on Christmas Eve. My wife, son and I would go to my parents house, have dinner, and celebrate Christmas with them by opening gifts and just hanging out. Then we would go home, go to bed, and wake up the next morning and celebrate Christmas at our home and open gifts and such. Then the rat race began. It was up and at em, and on our way to her grandparent's house, then to dinner at her sister's house. It was a long day to say the least, and my son was not in the mood for missing his naps. One thing we began doing was eating a late dinner at the hibachi place in our town as they were open on Christmas. It was a fun tradition we just started. This year things will be different, my son and I will have Christmas at my parent's house, then he will wake up with me Christmas morning then I will take him to his mom's house.

I know it's a little awkward taking him back to his mom's, but if you establish a tradition for the two of you(father and son), he'll appreciate that all his life. Children seem to love special traditions and evidently(at least according to this thread) adults do, too.

DayTek
11-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Christmas Day hubby and I get up early (It's the only day of the year he actually enjoys getting up at 6AM…LOL). We open presents, then hubby will shower while I pack up gifts to go to our parents.

We have been rotating between in-laws and my parents for breakfast and dinner every year. This year we are at my in-laws for breakfast and my parents for supper. It's pretty much just presents and food for the day…haha. But we'll watch movies or maybe play a game. Just enjoying family time is the best :)

Honestly, I'm all "Christmased out" by dinner-time that day. I start looking forward to New Years Eve and fresh feeling of a New Year!

HolidaySeason
11-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Lol, I've never really been an early riser on Christmas Day, even as a child. I usually get up mid-morning and open presents then.

lovisaken
12-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi..

Organised a Christmas Party. Invite to all my friends.. Full to Enjoy. :santa2:

Thanks

steph535
12-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi..

Thanks

not sure what that means ?

Merry Christmas Darling
12-08-2013, 02:02 AM
Hi..

Thanks

On Christmas Day, do you have a party with all your friends and enjoy it to the full?

Classic Christmas
12-14-2013, 03:48 PM
We do not do much at all on Christmas Day. Of course we get up and open presents as we play Christmas music. We usually don't make anything for breakfast, as we like to pull out the always-numerous leftovers from the previous night's festivities. But uusally by noon or so it's pretty quiet and calm around our house.

There was a time where we wondered if we were doing too much on Christmas Eve, at the expense of Christmas day. But we figured no, we like how it all works out as it is. The Christmas season is usually so busy, office parties, friend's get-togethers, etc, especially the few weeks before, that there needs to be one day of rest and relaxation, and Christmas Day is a good day for that.

Fluffysnow
10-17-2016, 09:33 PM
Up early, like 6am open gifts with immediate family, then my mum cooks croissants and pain au chocolat for a breakfast treat. We then all get ready and go visit my grandma and my nan. Once we come home my mum and I cook dinner with a glass (or bottle) of Buck's Fizz and my dad and brother go to the pub for a pint. Once they're back we just chill out watch Christmas TV and set the table and check out our gifts set things up that need to be set up when we were younger we would play with our toys but we're all adults now. We have dinner then veg out in the living room. My brothers OH comes over for the afternoon and we end up watching a film and drinking and my parents go for a nap.
This year I think I may have my OH come over for an hour of too in the afternoon and then go to his for the evening as they play games like taboo and who am I which I think is a bit more christmasey plus I'd like to see him family on Christmas day because we're very much part of each other families.

ornamentmaven
10-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Christmas will be a little different this year as we will no longer have a big Christmas Eve buffet. We just are not physically close enough to relatives since we moved. My mother-in-law may be here, as well as the four of us and most likely my daughter's boyfriend. Quite a change from the 14 people we always had for Christmas Eve.

Bishop1954
02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
Naturally, it will depend on what day of the week Christmas falls on. If on a Sunday, then of course we go to church services, but on the norm, Christmas Day is a time to relax and kick back a bit. When we have festivities in the house, it almost always is on Christmas Eve. There have been a few exceptions and we had people over on Christmas Day, in which case we do the reverse and relax on Christmas Eve. Naturally the day includes dining and opening presents, but I enjoy the peace of the day as well. Very few stores open (I wish the number was zero), extremely small amount of residential traffic and a day filled with specials.
I always look forward to it... :home:

Christmasgirl80
03-14-2018, 08:08 PM
Just stay home

Bishop1954
03-17-2018, 03:26 AM
Do friends and family join in or is this a portion of your quiet time? Just wondering...

Lili1234
12-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Christms is one of the important holiday in the year. So I need to do many things to prepare for this special holiday. I decorate my house, buy Christmas cards, cook Christmas food like turkey. Especially, I give many meaningful Christmas gifts for my love, my friends, and my family. I often buy Christmas gifts at Hobby Lobby (https://www.couponupto.com/deals/hobby-lobby) beacause this store offers many coupon codes on Christmas items. So I can buy everything I like without breaking the bank.

Bishop1954
12-21-2019, 11:15 PM
This year may be nice and quiet, not too certain yet. Christmas Eve will be at a friend/relative home... :home:

Mistletoe
12-22-2019, 05:00 AM
We've been going to my sister's the last couple years and usually play games. I, too, would love to sit in front of a fire just relaxing. And I've tried to watch Christmas shows/movies, but it aggravates my brother-in-law. He's one of those people that as soon as the day hits, it's over and he's all for moving on.

Bishop1954
12-25-2019, 10:37 AM
:merrychristmas:

Elf_Erv
12-25-2019, 04:25 PM
snack and watch Christmas movies

Bishop1954
12-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Not exactly what I had planned this year, but I made it another home for lunch and some opening of presents. The just relaxing back at my home... :giftpeek:

JollyElfDC
01-14-2020, 04:41 PM
Mine is slightly different from what most of you posted, but pretty much the same. I don't have any family in the area, so I invite friends who also don't have any family in the area to spend the day at my place. The television usually stays off, but we've been known to pop in a Christmas movie or watch a sporting event. I have munchies and drinks throughout the day, then a huge Christmas dinner. I also have this weird preoccupation with setting my Christmas dinner table(s) differently each year (one year Santa themed, one year woodsy themed, one year modern etc) This has been a tradition for several years, and a lot of people prefer spending the day here, because they don't have to deal with family drama.

Bishop1954
01-28-2020, 04:08 PM
That is very cool JollyElfDC. Back in my military days, I did the same, when duty permitted. Having a 24/7 type of job, I did not always have the luxury of Christmas Day off. When I did, I woud either invite a few of the single people over or if I knew of someone having a rough time being away from the family, I would go in and take hie/her shift and let them go home.

Lili1234
07-03-2020, 08:55 AM
where you look for -CouponUpto.com was established like a referral website, product reviewer and provider of great saving solutions to custo
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/helen-ficalora
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/hot-octopuss
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/hair-restoration-shampoo
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/filmpac
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/bumpboxx
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/gigi-pip
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/purkratom
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/manta-sleep-mask
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/the-allergy-kit
https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/dr-squatch

Bishop1954
07-09-2020, 04:18 PM
Not much of a comment for this particular strand...

snowbell1
07-27-2020, 09:54 AM
:christmastree:This year will be different for many,my son and i are still decorating our home and i'll be baking and cooking for us it will be a nice cozy holiday just us and our dogs have to admit it's been nice to be able to slow down and just enjoy these wonderful moments.

Bishop1954
07-27-2020, 09:39 PM
I echo those sentiments Snowbell. Not sure what this year will bring. My outside changed every years and this one will be a special Christmas wreath show. But as far as the day itself? Too early to call... :tree1:

Mistletoe
11-07-2020, 02:32 AM
Mine is slightly different from what most of you posted, but pretty much the same. I don't have any family in the area, so I invite friends who also don't have any family in the area to spend the day at my place. The television usually stays off, but we've been known to pop in a Christmas movie or watch a sporting event. I have munchies and drinks throughout the day, then a huge Christmas dinner. I also have this weird preoccupation with setting my Christmas dinner table(s) differently each year (one year Santa themed, one year woodsy themed, one year modern etc) This has been a tradition for several years, and a lot of people prefer spending the day here, because they don't have to deal with family drama.
I would love to see your table settings- do you take pictures every year?

Bishop1954
11-08-2020, 03:02 AM
I've got a few new touches in mind, but nothing concrete just yet... :xmascandycane:

JollyElfDC
11-08-2020, 07:56 AM
I would love to see your table settings- do you take pictures every year?

I don't always take pictures, but here are a few. They aren't the greatest quality pictures, but you get the idea. :tree:

I would love to see everyone else's tables. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Bishop1954
11-08-2020, 06:11 PM
I don't always take pictures, but here are a few. They aren't the greatest quality pictures, but you get the idea. :tree:

I would love to see everyone else's tables. I'm always looking for new ideas.

Very nice. I have not taken any of my table in the past (don't ask why, cuz' I do not know) But I will try to remember in the future. :yahoo:

Elf_Erv
11-08-2020, 06:49 PM
drink lots eggnog, watch A Christmas Story

JollyElfDC
11-11-2020, 05:10 AM
Very nice. I have not taken any of my table in the past (don't ask why, cuz' I do not know) But I will try to remember in the future. :yahoo:

Thank you.
I think we forget to take them, because we have so much going on. Even when I remember, I don't really take a lot of time and just snap a quick shot.

Bishop1954
11-13-2020, 08:11 PM
Not 100% certain what we willo do on this Christmas day, but I am letting the wheels turn and hope to come up with something unique for this very unique Christmas. :dizzy:

Mistletoe
11-16-2020, 01:12 AM
I don't always take pictures, but here are a few. They aren't the greatest quality pictures, but you get the idea. :tree: I would love to see everyone else's tables. I'm always looking for new ideas.
Nice! I wouldn't have thought to use black, but it really makes the red pop. Thanks for posting!

I haven't done one for a few years because we've been going to my sister's, but if I find one of my past ones, I'll post it.

Bishop1954
11-16-2020, 12:00 PM
We have a fireplace downstairs, but do to reasons far to vast for this, we cannot use it right now. But their will be a "Yule Log" on TV with some background Christmas music that I will play on this Christmas morning. The only question is, what to have for breakfast to go along with that? :elf3:

Mistletoe
11-17-2020, 04:29 AM
We have a fireplace downstairs, but do to reasons far to vast for this, we cannot use it right now. But their will be a "Yule Log" on TV with some background Christmas music that I will play on this Christmas morning. The only question is, what to have for breakfast to go along with that? :elf3:
I plan to have fires on the Eve and Day, since we won't be leaving the house to go visiting- that is definitely a perk to all this sheltering in place.

And I need to figure out what I'd like to eat on Christmas morning, too. Usually I'm filled up with Christmas chocolate from my stocking, but I've turned over a new, healthy leaf and think I'll aim for something hearty.

Bishop1954
11-17-2020, 01:04 PM
I plan to have fires on the Eve and Day, since we won't be leaving the house to go visiting- that is definitely a perk to all this sheltering in place.

And I need to figure out what I'd like to eat on Christmas morning, too. Usually I'm filled up with Christmas chocolate from my stocking, but I've turned over a new, healthy leaf and think I'll aim for something hearty.

Sounds like a nice trend to start. In my case, I'll have to wait till the 26th to begin healthy again... lol :xmaswink:

JollyElfDC
11-18-2020, 05:23 AM
Nice! I wouldn't have thought to use black, but it really makes the red pop. Thanks for posting!

I haven't done one for a few years because we've been going to my sister's, but if I find one of my past ones, I'll post it.
Please do post. I would love to see your table. I really wish now that I had remembered to take pictures (and better pictures) more than just a few years.

Bishop1954
12-23-2020, 12:10 PM
Well, the breakfast menu is set... Sausage gravy on biscuits, hash browns, eggs, juice and coffee... :christmasdinner: