PDA

View Full Version : A christmas movie for the sake of a christmas movie.

Fezziwig
11-04-2012, 09:11 PM
I am curious if anyone else watches Christmas Movies because they are festive and not because they are good?

I can think of a handful of Christmas movies that are poorly made or poorly scripted but I watch them anyway because of the Christmas Theme. Generally the ABC Family Originals are hit or miss but I sit here and watch all of them -- annually. "Holiday in Handcuffs" (which my girlfriend actually loves) starring Melissa Jone Hart and Mario Lopez is so absurdly implausible in my mind but (without fail) I watch it when it's on.

What are your thoughts?

ChantelleJoy
11-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I'm guilty of watching a bad movie, over and over, just because it's about Christmas - I'll be Home For Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0155753/), or Surviving Christmas (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0252028/), are good examples.

But there are a few I watch every year during the holidays that I think are actually good movies that happen to take place around Christmas, like The Family Stone (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0356680/), or Die Hard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095016/), so it goes both ways. :)

steph535
11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
guilty

ornamentmaven
11-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Definetly guilty

michelmas
11-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Me too......"Ernest Saves Christmas". I really like this movie, it makes me laugh and has a good story line but I only know 2 other people who like it and they are both 8.

tinkerbell2
11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Guilty..:elf3:

SilverBells
11-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Guilty as charged :elf1:

LollipopPugs
11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Very guilty here as well! Including having the Hallmark channel on most everyday during the Christmas season even though there are quite a few poorly made movies on that channel. :singing:

DayTek
11-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Definitely watch those made-for-TV-movies every year. My hubby always asks why I watch them, but then joins right along with me after he gets watching the movie too, LOL. Think it's because it's something new and not a movie you've watched every single year (and sometimes several times during the season). I love the classics, but there are some Christmas movies I've watched so many times in previous years, that I actually have no desire to watch them some years.

ornamentmaven
11-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Me too......"Ernest Saves Christmas". I really like this movie, it makes me laugh and has a good story line but I only know 2 other people who like it and they are both 8.

HaHa - I also enjoy that movie (and I'm 56)

Xmas24
11-10-2012, 01:15 AM
I rarely watch poor christmas movies..i seem to have a select list of movies i stick too every year..non of which are poor imo.

Santa Claus the movie
Home Alone 1,2,3,4.
Christmas with the Kranks
Scrooge
Deck the Halls
Polar Express
Elf
Few more which i can't remember off the top of my head.

ornamentmaven
11-10-2012, 02:17 AM
I rarely watch poor christmas movies..i seem to have a select list of movies i stick too every year..non of which are poor imo.

Santa Claus the movie
Home Alone 1,2,3,4.
Christmas with the Kranks
Scrooge
Deck the Halls
Polar Express
Elf
Few more which i can't remember off the top of my head.

None of the oldies? Holiday Inn? White Christmas? Miracle on 34th Street?

*Snowflake*
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
well,actually no. If I see some Christmas movie I never saw before I will probably watch it because I'm curious if is any good but if I know this movie and I know that is not good I will not watch it.:elf1:

MinnesotaMike
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Absolutely. We record a bunch of the Hallmark originals every year and watch them all. I'd say the majority of them are pretty crappy, but one thing they succeed in doing is making me "feel" Christmassy. Just the imagery and visual reminders of Christmas usually make me feel good...even if the plot blows!

JollyElfDC
11-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Watching a Hallmark Christmas movie is sort of like going to Olive Garden or TGI Friday's. People don't go to those places for amazing food. They go because they know what they are getting, and will leave with a pleasant but unmemorable meal. The Hallmark movies aren't bad, but they are as predictable as a prarie landscape. One that I rememember involves Dean Cain being asked to temporarily look after three orphan boys. I'm sure I'm not spoiling anything by saying he ends up adopting them at the end. I knew what was going to happen before I ever saw the movie, but I still watched the whole thing.

ornamentmaven
11-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Watching a Hallmark Christmas movie is sort of like going to Olive Garden or TGI Friday's. People don't go to those places for amazing food. They go because they know what they are getting, and will leave with a pleasant but unmemorable meal. The Hallmark movies aren't bad, but they are as predictable as a prarie landscape. One that I rememember involves Dean Cain being asked to temporarily look after three orphan boys. I'm sure I'm not spoiling anything by saying he ends up adopting them at the end. I knew what was going to happen before I ever saw the movie, but I still watched the whole thing.

Agree!

ernies
11-27-2012, 06:03 AM
I only watch Christmas movies that I always love. Frosty and Rudolph are boring to me, I love how the grinch stole christmas and Elf.

christmasislove
07-02-2013, 02:12 AM
Guilty!!!

polrwht07
07-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Four Christmases is a prime example, also A Christmas Story 2, is not a good movie, but I'll still watch it.

ornamentmaven
07-11-2013, 08:10 PM
I will always watch at least once. Everybody has their own sense of good and bad. For exampkle - I can't stand Jim Carrey in How the Grinch Stole Christmas - although I love the old cartoon. I also can barely tolerate Elf (only because I love James Caan) and other people love it!

*Snowflake*
07-18-2013, 11:20 AM
Few days ago I watch movie called Sundys at Tiffany's (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1743360/) it's not really totally Christmas related but it's happening around holidays in New York and is beautiful.:home:

ornamentmaven
07-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Few days ago I watch movie called Sundys at Tiffany's (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1743360/) it's not really totally Christmas related but it's happening around holidays in New York and is beautiful.:home:

Some of my favorite all time movies are those set at Christmas time, but not totally Christmas related - like The Family Stone and While You Were Sleeping

*Snowflake*
07-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Some of my favorite all time movies are those set at Christmas time, but not totally Christmas related - like The Family Stone and While You Were Sleeping

then you have to watch this one,you will love it:elf3:

ornamentmaven
07-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Yes I will!

Fezziwig
07-20-2013, 08:45 PM
I actually got into the spirit the other day by watching "Surviving Christmas" starring Ben Afleck and James Gandolfini (which I am guessing they played on cable in honor of the passing of James recently) I had never seen this movie and didn't know if I would like it or not .. its a little corny but I enjoyed it. Hopefully it reairs during the holiday season.