PDA

View Full Version : A Christmas Story Discussion

Classic Christmas
11-29-2011, 05:51 AM
I have never seen the movie "Elf"

I know, I know... but, it's just never caught my attention.

Also, I don't particularly like "A Christmas Story".

HollyJolly
12-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I have never seen the movie "Elf"

I know, I know... but, it's just never caught my attention.

Also, I don't particularly like "A Christmas Story".

Don't like the movie Elf...and don't care for "A Christmas Story" either!

Classic Christmas
12-06-2011, 07:04 AM
Phew...I'm not alone :)

A few years ago the school I work at put on a play based on "A Christmas Story". When I told colleagues I didn't know the storyline they looked at me as if I had just crawled out from under a rock.

Well, I ended up watching it, and was totally lost as to why so many people claimed it was their favorite story of the season. What was I missing??

Oh well. I gave up trying to get myself to like it.

To each his own. :tree:

MinnesotaMike
12-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Even crappy Christmas movies are still okay to watch...after all, they're CHRISTMAS movies! HA!!!

Side note: A Christmas Story is a tale of a child's obsession with a specific toy he wants for Christmas, and it's set as a narrative taking place in America's heartland back in the 1940's. Yeah...no idea why anyone would enjoy a nostalgic film like THAT! :elf2::confused:

Classic Christmas
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Even crappy Christmas movies are still okay to watch...after all, they're CHRISTMAS movies! HA!!!

Side note: A Christmas Story is a tale of a child's obsession with a specific toy he wants for Christmas, and it's set as a narrative taking place in America's heartland back in the 1940's. Yeah...no idea why anyone would enjoy a nostalgic film like THAT! :elf2::confused:

I didn't say I didn't understand why some people liked it, only that I couldn't get into it, and didn't see in it what others obviously do. Notice I said, "What was I missing??"

No need to take it personally.

MinnesotaMike
12-06-2011, 08:50 AM
I didn't say I didn't understand why some people liked it, only that I couldn't get into it, and didn't see in it what others obviously do.

No need to take it personally.

Fair enough. Maybe you're a lot younger than me. Personally, I can't get into Christmas with the Kranks. In fact, I don't much care for Tim Allen at all. There are a lot of folks around here who think I'M crazy for that!

MinnesotaMike
12-06-2011, 08:51 AM
You now a Christmas movie has achieved "classic" status when there is a Village made after it. A Christmas Story qualifies. HA!!

Classic Christmas
12-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Fair enough. Maybe you're a lot younger than me. Personally, I can't get into Christmas with the Kranks. In fact, I don't much care for Tim Allen at all. There are a lot of folks around here who think I'M crazy for that!

Yeah, that one doesn't do much for me, either.

As for age, being born in '66 I guess makes me a prime candidate for particular movies.

MinnesotaMike
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that one doesn't do much for me, either.

As for age, being born in '66 I guess makes me a prime candidate for particular movies.

Now I just think you're weird! You're 3 years OLDER than me!! How can you not vibe on the nostalgia of A Christmas Story?? Oh well...different strokes....

I'm just a huge history buff, and I've always been drawn to post-war Americana.

Classic Christmas
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Now I just think you're weird! You're 3 years OLDER than me!! How can you not vibe on the nostalgia of A Christmas Story?? Oh well...different strokes....

Well, as far as history goes, I teach U.S. history at a local high school :)

Different strokes, indeed

MinnesotaMike
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Well, as far as history goes, I teach U.S. history at a local high school :)

Different strokes, indeed

Just admit it...you had your own "Scut Farkas" to deal with as a kid, didn't you. :elf3:

JollyElfDC
12-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.

MinnesotaMike
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Not to nit pick, but I'm pretty sure A Christmas Story is supposed to take place in the late 1930's.

I pulled this off IMDB:

When and where does the story take place?

The story takes place in 1939 or 1940 in the fictional northern Indiana town of Hohman (based on real-life Hammond, Indiana, where writer Jean Shepherd grew up).

There is also a mention of the soldiers standing outside Higbee's Store in the opening scene. That suggested a post-war setting, however there are many components of the movie that would make it most likely to be December 1940.

So I guess I was off by a handful of years. Same general era though.

ChantelleJoy
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey all - I just pulled the parts of this discussion out of the ELF thread so we can keep talking about it over here..

Y'know I never really liked A Christmas Story until I was in my late-20s. And also clearly I'm no history buff (and much younger than most people who LOOOOVE this movie) because I always thought it took place in the Mid-50's Hahaha.... For a kid in the 80's the difference between 1939 and 1955 is negligible. ;)

Papa_Christmas
12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra....Ra Ra Ra Ra :elf3:

ornamentmaven
12-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra....Ra Ra Ra Ra :elf3:

Love that scene!

MinnesotaMike
12-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Hey all - I just pulled the parts of this discussion out of the ELF thread so we can keep talking about it over here..

Y'know I never really liked A Christmas Story until I was in my late-20s. And also clearly I'm no history buff (and much younger than most people who LOOOOVE this movie) because I always thought it took place in the Mid-50's Hahaha.... For a kid in the 80's the difference between 1939 and 1955 is negligible. ;)

HAHA!!...yeah, nothing much happened between '39 & '55! :xmaswink: I'm a typical guy, because I always knew it was earlier because of the cars in the movie!

MinnesotaMike
12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Love that scene!

The duck looks like it's smiling.

Mary Angeldog
12-10-2011, 01:13 AM
This is my husband's favorite christmas movie. We both were elementary school age in the early 50's and the clothes and the neighborhood in the movies could have been ours. We both really identify with the kids in the movie. I still remember my hideous snowsuit and trying to stay upright in it while walking to school! The spectacled little boy my husband was seemed to always want some gift his mother thought was dangerous. It takes us back to the magic and sometimes hysterically funny Christmases of our childhoods.

Tall Paul
12-18-2011, 03:43 AM
A Christmas Story is awesome! I guess I did grow up watching it though.

michelmas
12-22-2011, 01:57 AM
I don't care for 'The Christmas Story' but maybe if I'd even been a 10 year old boy who wanted a Red Ryder gun I might like it. My husband likes it so we watch it over and over but he can relate. I also never took to 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I do like silly movies, 'Elf', 'Christmas Vacation', etc.. and period Christmas movies 'Happy Christmas Miss King', 'The Waltons Christmas' and 'Wind At My Back Christmas'.