PDA

View Full Version : Mincemeat Squares (Husband’s Favorite)

Merry Christmas Darling
11-25-2011, 08:20 AM
I made these one Thanksgiving and now my husband wants them every year:

Mincemeat Squares
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
½ chopped walnuts
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup cooking oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 28-oz. jar mincemeat (Nonesuch Brandy & Rum)

Combine flour, sugar, nuts, soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir in oil and juice. Reserve 1½ cups flour mixture; press remainder into a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.

Spread mincemeat over mixture in in pan; sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake in a 400 degree F. oven for about 30 minutes or till golden brown.

Better Homes & Gardens Quick and Easy Cookbook, p. 283

Note: Because mincemeat is expensive and these are fattening, he never gets them more than once a year.

:gelf:

mina553
11-25-2011, 08:37 AM
they sound yum .
well @ least its just once a year .

ornamentmaven
11-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Sound delicious MW - love mincemeat!

shore makes scents
11-27-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm gonna steal this recipe. Sounds yum!

mina553
11-27-2011, 08:14 AM
i like mince meat but it must be moist ,

Fezziwig
11-28-2011, 08:51 AM
Doesn't mincemeat normally contain some kinda beef?

Sounds delicious.

mina553
11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
here we have mince............ beef , chicken ,pork & fish

ChantelleJoy
11-28-2011, 09:53 AM
I don't think that I've ever had Mincemeat with Beef in it!

Mincemeat definition on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat) describes it as I know it - dried fruits/sugar/spices.

Apparently in some cultures/countries it can contain beef, or meat - ew!!!! ;)

Fezziwig
11-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I don't think that I've ever had Mincemeat with Beef in it!

Mincemeat definition on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincemeat) describes it as I know it - dried fruits/sugar/spices.

Apparently in some cultures/countries it can contain beef, or meat - ew!!!! ;)

Interesting, I suppose that 'traditionally' it did contain beef and suet but people cut that point out over the years. My brother-in-law is South African and he makes something that could be a mincedmeat cake then.

Prunes and Raisins mostly and then a couple bottles of Rum and Brandy -- I know it has to sit around (and stirred periodically) for a couple months before you prepare it with some flour and bake it for Christmas time. It's really time consuming but always comes out awesome.

I had never really heard of anything like this until meeting him. I always thought that Mincemeat was some Victorian English food that went the way of the dinosaur.

ChantelleJoy
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
I always thought that Mincemeat was some Victorian English food that went the way of the dinosaur.

I know it's way *WAY* more common still in the UK (in particular Mince Pies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie)) and with 'older' generations here in Canada.

jessicayy
11-28-2011, 03:17 PM
I will try this tonight,but i don't know whether i can make it delicious:xmastounge:

Moley
11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Am I to understand that mince pies are a rarity in the USA? We'll organise an aid drop! :presents1:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Am I to understand that mince pies are a rarity in the USA? We'll organise an aid drop! :presents1:

Yes. What's wrong with people here??? Yes, we need more mince pies!!! They were my grandfather's favorite and he didn't want his grandchildren to beg for some, so he told us that there were house flies baked in them! :eek:

JollyElfDC
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I was asking what type of dessert to bring for a dinner this year and I was told not to bring mince. It just doesn't seem to suit 21 century American tastes. I can't say I love it, but to me it just isn't Christmas with out a slice of mincemeat pie or a mince tart. I thought of bringing two desserts, but at the price of mince it would be silly to make a pie for just two people to have one slice. I think I'll just have to hit up a good bakery and buy myself a tart instead.:christmasdinner:

Yes. What's wrong with people here??? Yes, we need more mince pies!!! They were my grandfather's favorite and he didn't want his grandchildren to beg for some, so he told us that there were house flies baked in them! :eek: That is hillarious! I'm kind of surprised you'll eat them after that. My mother insists I used to eat sausage (one of the few foods I won't eat) until some kid told me they were tonsils.

Moley
12-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Maybe there wasn't much room on the Mayflower, but you seem to have left so much behind...

Merry Christmas Darling
12-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Maybe there wasn't much room on the Mayflower, but you seem to have left so much behind...

The Mayflower descendants who stayed in New England had it. My husband's family made their own with venison. His uncle loved to hunt!

We had people come to our melting pot from all over Europe and the rest of the world. Someone obviously wondered about that concoction of raisins, apples, meat, and spices and said, "Oh, I don't want great-grandma's recipe for that!"

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1632,144173-253192,00.html

People just don't know what they're missing! Well, I have to admit, I haven't had homemade mincemeat, but then my husband isn't a hunter.

ChristmasFairy
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Am I to understand that mince pies are a rarity in the USA? We'll organise an aid drop! :presents1:Haha!!!

Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without mince pies topped with a dollup of brandy butter.
I'll bake some closer to Christmas, but also bought a couple of boxes of 'Mr. Kipling' ones last week.
:tree:

mina553
12-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Yes. What's wrong with people here??? Yes, we need more mince pies!!! They were my grandfather's favorite and he didn't want his grandchildren to beg for some, so he told us that there were house flies baked in them! :eek:

naughty grandpar :gelf:

JollyElfDC
04-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I made these last Christmas and they are very good. Unfortunately most people didn't try them.:sad elf: People seem to view mince like they do the much abused fruitcake. Maybe I'm weird. I like fruitcake too.:christmasdinner:

ornamentmaven
05-03-2014, 09:12 PM
Jolly - I will have to try this. I love anything with mince - especially fruitcake!

JollyElfDC
05-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Maybe I should have started a new thread for this. I think you would probably like it. I found this in one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. I've never made it but it sounds good. It would probably be ideal in one of the warmer places like Australia.

MINCEMEAT MOLD

1 1/2 cups prepared mincemeat 375 mL
1/2 cup slivered almonds 125 mL
2 TBS Brandy or Rum extract 25 mL
3 pints vanilla ice cream softened 1.5L

combine mincemeat, slivered almonds and extract in bowl.
Put one-fourth ice cream in bottom of a 6 cup (1.5L) mold.
Alternately add mincemeat mixture and ice cream, packing down well. Cover and freeze overnight. Unmold on to serving plate. You can decorate the top and sides if desired.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2014, 09:30 AM
Maybe I should have started a new thread for this. I think you would probably like it. I found this in one of the first cookbooks I ever bought. I've never made it but it sounds good. It would probably be ideal in one of the warmer places like Australia.

MINCEMEAT MOLD

Alternately add mincemeat mixture and ice cream, packing down well. Cover and freeze overnight. Unmold on to serving plate. You can decorate the top and sides if desired.

This sounds very good. If I use mincemeat with brandy & rum in the jar, do I still need to add the extract?

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2014, 09:32 AM
I was asking what type of dessert to bring for a dinner this year and I was told not to bring mince. It just doesn't seem to suit 21 century American tastes. I can't say I love it, but to me it just isn't Christmas with out a slice of mincemeat pie or a mince tart. I thought of bringing two desserts, but at the price of mince it would be silly to make a pie for just two people to have one slice. I think I'll just have to hit up a good bakery and buy myself a tart instead.:christmasdinner:
That is hillarious! I'm kind of surprised you'll eat them after that. My mother insists I used to eat sausage (one of the few foods I won't eat) until some kid told me they were tonsils.

Ewww!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2014, 09:34 AM
naughty grandpar :gelf:

lol!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2014, 09:51 AM
...at the price of mince ...

That's a huge drawback so the stores around here don't even like to carry it. But I have to find my favorite kind even if I have to order it online. This is the mincemeat that I buy:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Food/ChristmasMincemeatNonesuch_zps3c6296a3.jpg (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Christmas%20Food/ChristmasMincemeatNonesuch_zps3c6296a3.jpg.html)

ornamentmaven
11-15-2014, 01:08 PM
I love mince myself. And I always buy None Such as well. Some of the stores here carry it - but in VERY limited quantities. I use it to make my fruitcake every year (another thing that has fallen out of favor here in the US). I never make mince pie anymore, because I am the only one in my extended family who will eat it (...and I'm diabetic); but everyone loves my fruitcake recipe here!

ornamentmaven
11-15-2014, 01:14 PM
I think mince fell out of favor here in the US because people could not stomach the fact that it actually contained meat in a dessert. However most mince today is simply chopped apples, raisins, spices and sugar! People need to give it a try!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2014, 11:49 PM
I love mince myself. And I always buy None Such as well. Some of the stores here carry it - but in VERY limited quantities. I use it to make my fruitcake every year (another thing that has fallen out of favor here in the US). I never make mince pie anymore, because I am the only one in my extended family who will eat it (...and I'm diabetic); but everyone loves my fruitcake recipe here!

I only like the brandy and rum version, I don't buy the original. It's so yummy that it makes me wonder why people don't love it! I fell in love with 2 kinds of fruitcake when I was an adult.

ornamentmaven
11-16-2014, 12:59 AM
Yes, I prefer the brandy and rum version as well, but if I can't find it - I add a little brandy and rum myself.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Oh, this sounds good! I may try it!

Mincemeat Plum Pudding
- By Margaret Johnson
Ingredients:
• 1 1/2 cups mincemeat
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/3 cup butter
• 1/2 cup orange juice
• 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
• 2 tablespoons dark rum
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon cinamon
• 2 eggs, lightly beaten
• 3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

Combine the mincemeat, brown sugar, butter, orange juice, orange rind, and rum in a 4 cup glass measuring cup or microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, then microwave for 1 minute more, or until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon. Pour the mincemeat mixture over the dry ingredients and stir in the eggs and nuts. Stir until the batter is well combined.
Lightly butter a 2-quart ring mold or soufflé dish and line the bottom with buttered parchment paper. (If using a soufflé dish, invert a buttered glass in the center of the dish to create a ring mold effect.) Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared mold or dish. Place an inverted dinner plate in the bottom of the microwave and set the dish on the plate. Microwave at medium for 10 minutes. Rotate the dish and microwave at high for 2 to 4 minutes more, or until the top is no longer moist. Remove from the microwave and transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
Run a knife around the outside of the dish. Invert onto a serving plate and let cool completely. To serve, reheat the pudding, uncovered, at medium for 4 to 6 minutes, or until warm. Serve with Brandy Cider Sauce or Brandy Hard Sauce. Serves 8

http://www.irishabroad.com/culture/kitchen/Recipe.asp?RcpID=238

JollyElfDC
11-16-2014, 10:45 PM
That's a good question. Rule of thumb is it's easier to add to than take out. I would probably try a spoonful first to see how strong it is. Actually maybe take a small amount and freeze it first, since that is the way you will be eating it. I wonder how it would be with the regular mincemeat, but then topped with some rum flavored whipped cream?
This sounds very good. If I use mincemeat with brandy & rum in the jar, do I still need to add the extract?

ornamentmaven
11-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Easy Fruitcake

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 28 ounce jar mincemeat (I think the jars are a little smaller these days - not to worry)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup walnuts - broken
1 cup raisins (golden)
2 cups mixed candied fruit (save some red and green pieces to decorate the top)
(Add Rum or Brandy)

Preheat oven to 300F. Combine ingredients. Butter and flour pan. (I use an angel food cake ring pan) Bake 2 hours
After cooling, remove carefully from pan and decorate top with reserved fruit pieces. Pour a little Rum (about a shot-glass full) over the top of cake. (You may want to add more rum once a week). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to refrigerate.

ornamentmaven
11-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, I bought my mince yesterday and couldn't find None Such, so settled for another brand. I'll have to add my own Rum!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-24-2014, 05:58 PM

MINCEMEAT MOLD

I have the mold, but can't remember where I stored it!!!!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say I made these last Christmas and they are very good. Unfortunately most people didn't try them.:sad elf: People seem to view mince like they do the much abused fruitcake. Maybe I'm weird. I like fruitcake too.:christmasdinner:

I like both, too! Admittedly, I didn't have fruitcake until I was eighteen and, at first, I wasn't sure about it. But now I love it!

Hey, Elf, I hear your weather's going from 75 degrees down to 30 something this week! So sorry.

JollyElfDC
11-25-2014, 12:14 AM
I like both, too! Admittedly, I didn't have fruitcake until I was eighteen and, at first, I wasn't sure about it. But now I love it!

Hey, Elf, I hear your weather's going from 75 degrees down to 30 something this week! So sorry.
I can't complain. I have friends in Buffalo!:snowing::cold:

I hope you find your mold. I'm sure it would work well with sugar free Ice Cream.

It's been my experience that most of the people who don't like Fruitcake, have only ever had one that cost 2 dollars at Wal-mart. That is like saying "I hate Barbecue Spare Ribs because I ate a McRib once". :xmaseyeroll:

Merry Christmas Darling
11-25-2014, 02:27 AM
I can't complain. I have friends in Buffalo!:snowing::cold:

I hope you find your mold. I'm sure it would work well with sugar free Ice Cream.

It's been my experience that most of the people who don't like Fruitcake, have only ever had one that cost 2 dollars at Wal-mart. That is like saying "I hate Barbecue Spare Ribs because I ate a McRib once". :xmaseyeroll:

If you're talking about Claxton's I LOVE it! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Claxton-Fruit-Cake/21567941

What's not to like?

steph535
11-25-2014, 04:30 AM
I confess, I am not a fan of fruitcake. Well, the 'cake' part is fine; it's the citron I don't care for. And, I'm sure I have only had the cheap, store bought variety.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-25-2014, 07:58 AM
I confess, I am not a fan of fruitcake. Well, the 'cake' part is fine; it's the citron I don't care for. And, I'm sure I have only had the cheap, store bought variety.

Steph, try this recipe (no citron):

Ice Box Fruitcake (http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/threads/7342-The-Fruitcake-Thread?p=137037#post137037)

ornamentmaven
11-25-2014, 05:13 PM

Homemade fruitcake is very expensive to make and tastes nothing like the cheap store brands - which have a "plastic" taste to them. I spend about $30 to make one fruitcake at home.

steph535
11-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks, Merry. What size marshmallows?

Merry Christmas Darling
11-25-2014, 10:20 PM
Homemade fruitcake is very expensive to make and tastes nothing like the cheap store brands - which have a "plastic" taste to them. I spend about $30 to make one fruitcake at home.

Oh, my! I wouldn't spend that much.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks, Merry. What size marshmallows?

Those are the size you roast over a campfire. When a recipe calls for mini marshmallows they don't make you count them!

JollyElfDC
11-26-2014, 01:52 AM
If you're talking about Claxton's I LOVE it! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Claxton-Fruit-Cake/21567941

What's not to like?I like Claxton too. I don't love it, but it certainly isn't horrible.
It's been a few years since I had one, but I remember Costco having a surprisingly good fruitcake for a fairly good price.

ornamentmaven
11-26-2014, 07:16 AM
Oh, my! I wouldn't spend that much.

It gets pricier every year, about $10 for the mince, $9 for the citron, $4 for the walnuts, $3 for the raisins, $2 for the sweetened condensed milk, and another few dollars worth of flour and misc.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-26-2014, 01:48 PM
It gets pricier every year, about $10 for the mince, $9 for the citron, $4 for the walnuts, $3 for the raisins, $2 for the sweetened condensed milk, and another few dollars worth of flour and misc.

Do you use sweetened condensed milk in yours?

ornamentmaven
11-26-2014, 02:06 PM
Do you use sweetened condensed milk in yours?

Yes - I have just learned to limit my consumption and plan around my carbs

Merry Christmas Darling
12-18-2014, 07:24 AM
I found this so we can make our own mincemeat if we want to go to the trouble:

http://www.customsofchristmas.com./pdf/mincemeat.pdf

JollyElfDC
09-19-2015, 02:21 PM
The jars of mince usually have a best by date that is a few years down the road. Maybe you can cut the cost by buying your jars after Christmas and just storing them until the following year?

Merry Christmas Darling
09-20-2015, 02:21 AM
Doesn't mincemeat normally contain some kinda beef?

Sounds delicious.

In Maine they use venison for homemade mincemeat. I never had a chance to try it. The brand I buy uses beef, but you can't tell there's meat in it, what with all the fruit, brandy and rum.

ornamentmaven
09-20-2015, 06:28 PM
Real mincemeat uses beef(or other meat), but many brands you buy in the store are meat free. It is true that you really cannot taste the meat in mincemeat

Eric Brown
09-24-2015, 09:48 AM
I like to try this recipe this year... :hopxmas:

JollyElfDC
07-21-2016, 02:49 AM
Ornamentmaven, I think I'm going to make your fruitcake this year.
A lot of my friends are teetotalers. Do you think I could use orange juice in place of the alcohol? If I don't use the alcohol, would it be better to freeze it? Finally, how far in advance can I make this?

Thanks in advance !:elf3:
Easy Fruitcake

2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, beaten
1 28 ounce jar mincemeat (I think the jars are a little smaller these days - not to worry)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup walnuts - broken
1 cup raisins (golden)
2 cups mixed candied fruit (save some red and green pieces to decorate the top)
(Add Rum or Brandy)

Preheat oven to 300F. Combine ingredients. Butter and flour pan. (I use an angel food cake ring pan) Bake 2 hours
After cooling, remove carefully from pan and decorate top with reserved fruit pieces. Pour a little Rum (about a shot-glass full) over the top of cake. (You may want to add more rum once a week). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil. Store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to refrigerate.

ornamentmaven
08-17-2016, 05:11 PM
Jolly Elf - I have never frozen my fruitcakes, so I don't know if they would taste the same - I think they would dry out some what in the freezer. You can add a little rum to the batter before baking and the alcohol will bake out, but the flavor will stay. Adding alcohol later, helps to keep it moist, however. I always make mine on Black Friday or the weekend after Thanksgiving. You could always make yours a bit closer to Christmas since you are not adding alcohol.

JollyElfDC
01-16-2017, 09:39 AM
Ornamentmaven thank you for posting the recipe and replying to my questions. I made your fruit cake this year and it is a winner! I had to make a couple of substitutions. I put the rum in the batter as you suggested, and I used maraschino cherries instead of the mixed candied fruit. The rum in the batter was on purpose, but I had to use the cherries because my car was in the shop for a couple of days, and couldn't get out to the market. They were the closest thing I had in my pantry to candied mixed fruit. I am sure it is better with the candied fruit, but the maraschino cherries were a nice addition.
I purchased a marked down jar of mincemeat after Christmas (the use by date is years away) so I can make it again next year!

ornamentmaven
01-16-2017, 09:37 PM
Glad it worked for you! Maraschino cherries sound interesting!

JollyElfDC
04-04-2023, 03:38 AM
Bumping up this old thread, because I just saw this recipe. I think it sounds pretty good.
https://www.food.com/recipe/holiday-mincemeat-cake-104408