PDA

View Full Version : Christmas drinks

Not Long Until Christmas
11-11-2011, 11:57 PM
I came across this blog post (http://pinkfoodanddrink.tumblr.com/post/12636572008/bored-of-port-and-sherry-at-christmas-try-flavoured) and it got me wondering about Christmas drinks.

What's your favourite and do you make it into a cocktail or something special?

I'm still a sucker for a traditional port but champagne and orange juice is good - sneaky one for breakfast usually ;)

ChantelleJoy
11-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Here in Ontario our Liquor Stores are run by the Government, but this means that they're really high-class and have all sorts of super helpful demos, and product features, and every few months they put out a high-quality, very dense glossy magazine called Food & Drink (http://www.lcbo.com/fooddrink/index.shtml).

The Holiday Edition (which just came out this month) is FULL of great suggestions from mixed cocktails, to specific options to try a new traditional beverage. Here's one featured from the 2011 issue: "Mistletoe Sangria (http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=2&action=recipe&recipeID=5130)" - They even have "Mocktails" for kids & people who don't drink alcohol - like this one: "Cool Frost Mocktail (http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=3&action=recipe&recipeID=2297)" PERFECT for Xmas!!!

They always have really great stuff - and I'm looking forward to picking up a copy and trying some out (although buying the ingredients just to test the recipes can be pricey!)

Of course, anything with Creme de Menthe in it is my favorite. :)

mina553
11-12-2011, 09:25 AM
wow that sounds so high class & posh I don't drink much but
2 glasses & iam super druk.
even thoug iam from the Caribbean i don't like rum or any thing milkey I prefer wines i dont mind trying the Mistletoe Sangria .

mina553
11-12-2011, 09:42 AM
A Refreshing Spiced Caribbean Sorrel Drink.

Before we get to the recipe I must mention that if you use less water and no sugar (as mentioned in the recipe) you can make a concentrated syrup, which you can bottle and keep in the fridge for quite a while. Then all you do when you’re ready for a refreshing glass of sorrel on a hot day, is to pour some out, add sugar and water and you’re good to go.

You’ll Need…

2 cups dried sorrel
8 cups water
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 stick cinnamon
1 cup sugar 4 cloves

I started off with 1 cup of sugar, but ended up using 2 cups. I only mentioned 1 in the recipe since your tolerance for sugar will be a bit different than mine. This way we have a starting point to which you can use as a gauge to add more (to your liking).

This is a very simple recipe, which does need a bit of time and patience since the sorrel must steep to release all it’s wonderful flavors.

Bring the water to a boil in a large pot, then add all the ingredients to the pot. Bring back to a boil and reduce the heat to a rolling boil. Allow this to boil for about 5 minutes, then turn off the heat, cover the pot and allow this to steep for at least 4 hours (overnight would be best).

Next up, strain the contents into a juice jug and add more sugar as needed ( You can store this in the fridge for about a week… if you don’t finish it before then.

* You can certainly add more cinnamon and cloves if you want to give it a more ‘spiced’ flavor and if memory serves me correctly, I believe my dad would also put some dried orange peel when boiling. I add my sugar when the water is hot so it dissolves faster… just my way of doing things. If you want a grown-up version you can always add a shot or two of dark rum or vodka to your glass.

i guess u can purchase the sorrel @ any West Indian store !

MinnesotaMike
11-12-2011, 11:08 PM
It's about the only time of year I enjoy a couple glasses of red wine.

ChantelleJoy
11-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't know how I missed this on the LCBO wesite;

Holiday Cocktails Guide (http://www.lcboholiday.com/holiday_cocktails)

MinnesotaMike
11-13-2011, 12:05 AM
What's LCBO? Also, I think I want to try mulled wine this year. I need to do a little research.

ChantelleJoy
11-13-2011, 12:21 AM
What's LCBO? Also, I think I want to try mulled wine this year. I need to do a little research.

Like I said in my first post, in Ontario (Canada) our Liquor stores are run by the Government - this just happens to make them super-classy, and also they're called LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Which are generally just called "The Liquor Store" or often LCBO's. For fun, I sometimes call it "The Lick-Bo".

To get an idea of what they look like (inside & out), check out these images. (http://www.google.ca/search?gcx=c&q=lcbo&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1152&bih=775&sei=4Y--Ttu1LqT50gHAkZ3uBA#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=lcbo&oq=lcbo&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=10176l10176l4l10299l1l1l0l0l0l0l0l0ll1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=f5bf875de47c2d3&biw=1152&bih=775)

mina553
11-13-2011, 12:34 AM
whats mulled wine ?
we have a lot of exoctic fruit wines here if u like that sarta thing . & i mostly like red also.

ChristmasFairy
11-13-2011, 10:02 AM
A Refreshing Spiced Caribbean Sorrel Drink.
Now this takes me back .... way back :elf1:

I can't get dried sorrel here but my friend in Canada is going to send me some, along with some Mauby bark.....

Oh Christmas in the Caribbean ... sorrel, mauby, ginger beer, and ponche crema (sp):santa2:

ChristmasFairy
11-13-2011, 10:22 AM
whats mulled wine ?If you do a search on the net ... you'll find lots of recipes with some variations, but here's one ... Click (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/other-recipes/jamie-s-mulled-wine) :tree:

mina553
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
i just love Mauby when i was lil my mom kept the bark in a small bottle in the fridge with ane seed & spice soaking, u just pour it out in a jug & sweeten it ............. now its even easier .
what part of the Caribbean R U from?

mina553
11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
dont 4 get the pastels yum i love them & make them 4 my self every year.

their sold now for almost $18.00 for 1 .
I dont sell i make it 4 my family chicken & beef some times fish 2 :giftpeek:

ChristmasFairy
11-13-2011, 12:49 PM
:waving:
what part of the Caribbean R U from?

Born and grew up in Guyana .... left a long long time ago:waving:

ChristmasFairy
11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
dont 4 get the pastels yum i love them & make them 4 my self every year.

their sold now for almost $18.00 for 1 .
I dont sell i make it 4 my family chicken & beef some times fish 2 :giftpeek:What are pastels? Maybe I know it by a different name or is it a Trini thing ?:tree:

Fezziwig
11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
The Three Wise men:

1 part Jack Daniels Whiskey
1 part Johnnie Walker Scotch
1 part Jim Beam Bourbon

into a tumbler and serve over ice.

---- pretty much a glass of alcohol.

JollyElfDC
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
whats mulled wine ?
we have a lot of exoctic fruit wines here if u like that sarta thing . & i mostly like red also.

I just bumped up the recipe Elvira posted for mulled wine.:tree:

Cheers!

Not Long Until Christmas
11-15-2011, 06:10 PM
@ChantelleJoy - Mocktails sound a great idea and I love the one you pointed out.

Also loving the sorrel recipe - thanks for that.

mina553
11-16-2011, 06:02 AM
i love sorrell but its not good 4 u if u suffer from hypertension like i do so i have mine watered down

dog8food
11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
The Three Wise men:

1 part Jack Daniels Whiskey
1 part Johnnie Walker Scotch
1 part Jim Beam Bourbon

into a tumbler and serve over ice.

---- pretty much a glass of alcohol.

Ohhh, sounds good. Thanks

mina553
11-19-2011, 09:48 AM
hahah i like the name i woulden;t B able to have that

mina553
11-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Punch de Creme, is another of Trinidad’s traditional Christmas drinks.

punch de creme

One thing that I really like about punch de creme (as opposed to traditional eggnog) is the use of citrus flavors like lime and Angostura bitters (which has orange extract). This gives the ‘nog’ a fruity lightness that alleviates the sweet creaminess (which could easily get cloying

u will need

6 eggs
3 cups evaporated milk
12 oz. sweetened condensed milk
1.5 cups rum (preferably white)
2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lime juice
grated nutmeg

Directions:

1. Beat eggs with lime juice until light and fluffy

2. Add evaporated milk
3. Sweeten to taste with condensed milk.
4. Add bitters, grated nutmeg, extract and rum according to taste
5. Strain
6. serve with crushed ice.

Serves 12

Spelling Variations: Ponch de Crema, Punch a Creme, Ponche de Creme

This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original. Please do not share it or post it to your site without crediting TriniGourmet.com.
This entry was originally published on December 14, 2006. It has been updated twice since then.

mina553
11-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch (recipe)

When I first made this in 2006 it was my first time using a pack of dried sorrel for a recipe. I was pleasantly surprised. If you allow it to steep overnight the results are pretty damn good. The below recipe is my adaptation of the Jamaican Sorrel Rum Punch Recipe at Epicurious.com. Because the pack of dried sorrel that I bought already has cloves added, as well as chunks of cinnamon bark I didn’t need to add any additional flavorings. If you can locate packs like these I highly recommend it.
JAMAICAN SORREL RUM
crediting TriniGourmet.com.

u will need:presents1:

Ingredients:

1 pack pre-spiced dried sorrel -OR- 2 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) dried sorrel calyxes
Two 1-inch cubes of peeled fresh ginger, chopped fine
3 whole cloves (omit if using a pack with spices)
5 3/4 cups water
3 cups sugar
1 amber/dark rum
2 cups ice cubes, or to taste
Lime and orange slices for garnish

Directions:

1. In a heat-proof bowl combine the sorrel, the ginger and the cloves.

2. In a saucepan bring 5 cups of the water to a boil, pour it over the sorrel mixture, and let the mixture steep overnight.

3. While the mixture is steeping, in a small saucepan bring the remaining 3/4 cup water and the sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and let the syrup cool.
4. Strain the sorrel liquid into a pitcher, discarding the solids, stir in the sugar syrup, the rum and the ice cubes, and garnish the punch with the lime and orange slices.

Makes about 8 cups/2 bottles:waving:

This recipe is an exclusive TriniGourmet original.
crediting TriniGourmet.com.

humbug_clause
11-20-2011, 01:43 AM
i'm going to have to test some of these delicious drinks out :):tree:

Mr. Christmas
11-20-2011, 05:37 AM
I love eggnog yummy everytime i come home from the store , my wife says'more eggnog?..dont you have enough already?" Today I also got 2 really cool looking glasses for my wife and i to drink from they are so old..I think early 50's, and say Happy Holidays around them and are gold rimmed. Cant wait to use them!

mina553
11-20-2011, 05:57 AM
thats really cool MR Christmas .

Mr. Christmas
11-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Yeah I loove the new glasses, looked them up on line, They go for 26 bucks a piece, I paid 49 cents for 2 lol.

mina553
11-20-2011, 10:53 AM
wow u got a steal of a deal there congrats it feels good 2 save & get a great deal @ the same time .

Jordan
11-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Like I said in my first post, in Ontario (Canada) our Liquor stores are run by the Government - this just happens to make them super-classy, and also they're called LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario). Which are generally just called "The Liquor Store" or often LCBO's. For fun, I sometimes call it "The Lick-Bo".
I've always called it that, too! Incidentally, my dad used to work for the LCBO Ottawa headquarters before he retired.

mina553
11-21-2011, 12:34 PM
A must have Trini drink is called Ginger beer
I must mention. There’s no alcohol in this even though it’s called “beer.”

Tidbits on Ginger:

1.Ginger is a rhizome – an underground stem that grows horizontally.
2.Ginger, although native to India and China is grown around the world especially in the hot tropics including the Caribbean and Africa, where it was introduced in the 16th century.
3.In the 13th and 14th centuries, ginger, along with black pepper, was one of the most commonly traded spices.
4.Initially ginger was consumed more for its medicinal purposes than for strictly culinary purposes. Today it is believed to aide digestion, relieve rheumatoid arthritis, reduce migraines, sooth sore throats, improve circulation, reduce fat deposits in the arteries and treat nausea.

Trinidadian Ginger Beer

Makes 4 quarts

This ginger beer is assertive – strong ginger and spices. It’s not fizzy and it’s not ginger ale. If you want to dilute, do as the Trini’s do, and cut it with seltzer, mineral water, etc. If you’d like an even stronger ginger beer, reduce it by 2 cups of water.

Ingredients

1 pound fresh ginger

3 quarts water (12 cups)

2 cinnamon sticks

8 cloves

1/4 teaspoon allspice

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 of fresh lime, divided – large peel and juice

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cup raw sugar (demerara, turbinado or muscovado)
or just use the brown sugar.

Method

1.Peel the fresh ginger – using a peeler or the back of a spoon. Rinse. Grate ginger using a box grater or a food processor. Watch the knuckles.
2.In a large non-reactive pot, bring water, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and the peel of half a lime to a boil. Turn off heat. Add the 1 ½ cup sugar; stir until dissolved. Taste. Add fresh grated ginger and the juice from the half lime.
3.Let the ginger mixture cool to room temperature. Leave in the pot (cover) or transfer to a large jar with a lid and refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to a week to allow flavors to meld. (If steeping more than 24 hours – remove at least one cinnamon stick.) When ready to drink, strain through a fine colander or cheesecloth; press solids at the end to remove remaining liquid; discard solids.
4.Serve cold. Garnish with fresh mint or thin slices of limes or other citrus. Although, not traditional, this is also great as a hot drink.

if u would like your ginger beer stronger put it in the sun covered in a glass jar or bottle .

Stacey.
11-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Mulled wine. :love:

mina553
11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
u <3 Mulled wine 2 ? wow

DesignerLynn
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Mulled Wine!:hopxmas:

mina553
11-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Mulled Wine!:hopxmas:

iam gonna have 2 have a taste this year i had to google it @ 1st :tree:

Not Long Until Christmas
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Some great Christmas drink here. Anyone got any corresponding hangover cures ;)

:treedance: (This isn't one of them!)

jessicayy
11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
red wine will be good for me

mina553
11-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Some great Christmas drink here. Anyone got any corresponding hangover cures ;)

:treedance: (This isn't one of them!)

yes luc drink more
that will do the trick:tree:
cheers

Papa_Christmas
11-29-2011, 10:38 PM
A Happy Papa

4 oz. Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
over ice. :elf3::elf3::elf3:

Papa_Christmas
11-29-2011, 10:43 PM
A Happy Mama

1 oz. Bailys Irish Cream

1 oz. Godiva Chocolate Liquor

In mug of Hot Coffee or Chocolate.

mina553
11-30-2011, 04:51 AM
happy minA
1 glass of red wine
i put rum in my coffee once is that like Irish tea it was horrid but it did the trick

mina553
11-30-2011, 05:02 AM
Trinidad Rum Punch
The traditional Trinidad Rum Punch recipe is 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak. Simple to make. Easy to remember. This is an oldie but a goodie. Let's expand on those ingredients a bit for you:

1 (measure) - freshly squeezed Caribbean lime juice
2 (measures) - cane sugar
3 (measures) - dark Trinidad rum
4 (measures) - water

Serve over ice with a couple dashes of Angostura Bitters and, optionally, a sprinkle of finely grated nutmeg. There you have it, sunshine in a glass! A simple way to transport yourself back to Trinidad, and all it takes is one sip.
i do not add any water

Preperation Notes

Don't be Tempted to Substitute: For the purpose of making this rum punch recipe, lemons are a poor substitute for limes. They are not grown in Trinidad commercially, and they are much less tart. Stay with lime juice to get the most authentic flavor.

Similarly, dark Trinidad rum may be difficult to find, internationally; if you must substitute, try another dark West Indian rum. This rum punch recipe requires the rich full-bodied flavor of dark rum.

Water or Ice: If you plan to chill the punch before serving, then it's fine as it is. However, if you plan to serve it immediately, reduce the volume of water by half and add ice to chill.

Boil or Shake: Some rum punch recipes suggest that you first make a syrup with the sugar and water. We've never found this necessary. We use a cocktail mixer, a much quicker solution, in our opinion. Anyway, we are seldom tempted to drink rum punch by the gallon... except when we go to the beach, of course.

A word of caution: Don't be fooled by the sweet, fruity flavor, rum punch is potent.

Don't drink and drive. Try this Trinidad delight at your own risk.

JollyElfDC
11-30-2011, 05:40 AM
Thank you so much for posting that. There was a Trinidad restaurant I went to in Canada that had a drink similar to this. It was soooo good!! On a hot day it cut through you like a knife! It was one of the most refreshing beverages I think I ever had. This sounds like a real keeper!:tree:

mina553
11-30-2011, 05:42 AM
your welcome i love this drink 2 its my christmas fav glad u like it

ChristmasFairy
11-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Trinidad Rum Punch
The traditional Trinidad Rum Punch recipe is 1 sour, 2 sweet, 3 strong, 4 weak.

Boil or Shake: Some rum punch recipes suggest that you first make a syrup with the sugar and water. We've never found this necessary. We use a cocktail mixer, a much quicker solution, in our opinion. Anyway, we are seldom tempted to drink rum punch by the gallon... except when we go to the beach, of course.

A word of caution: Don't be fooled by the sweet, fruity flavor, rum punch is potent.
Don't drink and drive. Try this Trinidad delight at your own risk.Hahaha!!! ...... I know this but with using a sugar syrup and adding little bits of fruit like mango. In Antigua and the small islands they make a sugar syrup and I think same in Barbados too ...

Girl you are bringing back some memories of the Caribbean with this recipe ... :gelf:

Moley
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
If only you could sample my sister's sloe gin... It creeps up on you... the first you realise is when your legs stop working... then you wake up with some hours missing from your life... were you abducted by aliens or has she overdone it again?

She gives me a bottle every christmas, is it a present or a plot?

ChantelleJoy
11-30-2011, 07:31 PM
If only you could sample my sister's sloe gin... It creeps up on you... the first you realise is when your legs stop working... then you wake up with some hours missing from your life... were you abducted by aliens or has she overdone it again?

She gives me a bottle every christmas, is it a present or a plot?

HAHAHAHAHA! :dizzy:

:tree:

ChristmasFairy
11-30-2011, 08:28 PM
She gives me a bottle every christmas, is it a present or a plot?Hahaha!!! ... seems a plot in the guise of a present:tree:

mina553
12-01-2011, 05:52 AM
Hahaha!!! ... seems a plot in the guise of a present:tree:

its a plot present i love it & 1 glass is all u really need .

next thing u know your doing the limbo with santa & your wearing his beard. lmao:santa2:

MinnesotaMike
12-01-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm a recovering alcoholic. I stick to nog.

Moley
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
This years' bottle of sloe gin has been given, and as the sloes were out early this year sis promises me that this four month matured vintage will be even stronger (is that possible?).

So if you don't hear from me for a while you know what has happened... I may awaken in the year 2150AD like Woody Allen's The Sleeper....

Christmas_mama
12-19-2011, 07:02 PM
If I'm relaxing at home, mulled wine every time! I sometimes enjoy a glass of iced baileys and if I'm round friend or family's a glass rum and coke :-)

jorgea
06-17-2012, 02:07 AM
That is a good link for ideas on Christmas drinks