2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until smooth. Stir in molasses and egg yolk. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg; blend into the molasses mixture until smooth. Cover, and chill for at least one hour.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks. Frost or decorate when cool.

onemagicalchristmas
11-04-2008, 01:32 AM
I cheat and buy my gingerbread men at the holidays I just bought another two containers of chocolate dipped gingerbread men today at Big Lots. I tried to make them one year and they didn't taste good. So I buy mine now.

Theresa Cunningham
11-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I have made them once and it's hard to get them just right..this is a great recipe but alot to make them..I want some chocolate covered gingerbread men now..lol big lots might be on my list this week.

AliceC
11-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Simple gingerbread men recipe:
* Serves: 4
* Prep Time: 0hrs 25 mins
* Cooking Time: 3hrs 0 mins

Ingredients

* 1¼ lb. flour
* ¼ oz. ground rice
* ½ lb. sultanas
* ½ lb. butter
* 1½ oz. ground ginger
* ½ lb caster sugar
* ½ oz. mixed spice
* 1 lb treacle
* 2 eggs
* 2 oz candied peel
* 1 tbsp. bicarbonate of soda
* teacupful beer or porter

Method

1. Beat the butter and sugar to a cream. Add the flour, dry ingredients, then the treacle and egg yolks, and whites seperate and the porter. Mix with your [clean] hands all the time.

2. Fill a large paper-lined tin, cover the top with greased paper. Bake in moderate oven for 3 hours.

THEN you can melt dark chocolate with some water or milk in a pan and pour it on the cooked gingerbread men and put everything in the fridge.:gelf: