PDA

View Full Version : How Many Lights?

Merry Christmas Darling
10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
How Many Lights Do I Need?
Typically, count on 100 lights per vertical foot of tree. For example: for a 7 foot tree, you will need at least of 700 lights. I prefer 150 per foot (or 1050 lights for a 7 foot tree) for a more "twinkly" look.

Of course, if your tree is fuller than average you will also need more lights than on a slender tree.
http://pickyourownchristmastree.org/decoratingtips.php

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Graphics/ChristmasAnimatedGif.gif

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Trees/Christmas%20Dividers/ChristmasGlitzy.gif

Merry Christmas Darling
10-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Oops! I forgot to tell you that our prelit tabletop tree came on Monday(yesterday) and I thought there were too few lights. So I'm going to double the amount of clear lights.

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Graphics/ChristmasTreeandFireplace.gif

ChristmasFairy
10-25-2011, 09:12 PM
For me 150-200 lights per foot of tree is just about right .....so for a 7 1/2 foot tree ... between 1050 to 1500 is just perfect..... and I luv clear twinkling lights:xmascandycane:

ornamentmaven
10-25-2011, 11:02 PM
I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!

HollyJolly
10-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color. :elf3:

Crazymike1965
10-26-2011, 12:01 AM
I agree when it comes to lights the more the merrier :)

Merry Christmas Darling
10-26-2011, 04:14 AM
I agree when it comes to lights the more the merrier :)

Mike, do you double the recommended amount or do you use even more?

Crazymike1965
10-26-2011, 04:29 AM
I know this is going to sound really insane but I always gone with 350-400 per foot. I am going with 500 lights per foot this year as I actually had space last year on the new tree and ran out of lights.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-26-2011, 07:08 AM
I know this is going to sound really insane but I always gone with 350-400 per foot. I am going with 500 lights per foot this year as I actually had space last year on the new tree and ran out of lights.

Crazy, Mike! Don't be surprised if you find this under your tree in December:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Humor/CrazyHat.jpg

MinnesotaMike
10-26-2011, 07:42 AM
I don't even know how many lights I end up using. I start with 4 strings of C-7 lights. Then I add several strings of minis, and follow it up with 3-4 strings of micro LEDs. The minis are steady-on, but the others twinkle and the big ones flash.

ChristmasFairy
10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
I am definitely on the mindset that the more lights the better. I like to use clear lights and one other color...for example my Santa tree is clear and red, and my snowman tree is clear and blue...it gives the brightness and glow of the clear, but the fun and added punch of color. :elf3:

Well I do agree that more is definitely better than too few :tree:

I bought a string of LED's to wrap around the pole of the tree to add more depth and dimension ... lighting from the 'inside'.

That brings the total to about 1500 .. which makes it 200 lights per foot of tree :elf3:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
I just read yesterday in a Christmas magazine that the desired light count for a 7" tree is 50 to 75 per foot and the ornament count should be about 200. I guess they wouldn't appreciate my tree with close to 1000 ornaments and many lights!

The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.

ornamentmaven
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
The link I provided suggested 100 per foot.

I'm thinking of having a total of 300 on my table top tree. But maybe I won't need that many.

I agree with you! My figures came from the 2011 Holiday magazine (by Good Housekeeping/Redbook) - page 11. They recommend 350-550 lights for a seven foot tree and 150-200 ornaments! Ridiculously low numbers by anyone's standards!

purpleskies
10-28-2011, 03:33 AM
we are having trouble with how many lights we should use. i want to use clear lights as well as multi colored lights because i feel like with no clear lights the tree seems kinda dull... we have a new tree this year that is not prelit so im trying to figure out how much to use! we have a 6.5ft tree (a little smaller then i like but i have young children still) so what would you guys recommend?:tree1:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-28-2011, 04:50 AM
I would want at least 600 lights unless you are buying LED lights; with LED lights, I'd use less because they're brighter.

Hopefully, you'll get answers from more experienced members. I downsized to tabletop trees last year.

Papa_Christmas
10-28-2011, 05:00 AM
The length of the needles has a lot to do with how many lights it will take to achieve the desired affect. The lights are more visible on short needled trees than on medium or long needled varieties.

MinnesotaMike
10-28-2011, 07:45 AM
I never "plan" my tree. I put it up and just start stringing lights until I decide I'm done.

steph535
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I agree with you! My figures came from the 2011 Holiday magazine (by Good Housekeeping/Redbook) - page 11. They recommend 350-550 lights for a seven foot tree and 150-200 ornaments! Ridiculously low numbers by anyone's standards!

that's absolutely nuts. I wonder if they even tested this out or got any other opinions.

*Snowflake*
10-28-2011, 07:04 PM
I never "plan" my tree. I put it up and just start stringing lights until I decide I'm done.

the same:xmaswink:

tinkerbell2
10-28-2011, 08:26 PM

Have to agree with Mike, don't plan just do it and think yep, that's enough..:elf3:

ornamentmaven
10-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Have to agree with Mike, don't plan just do it and think yep, that's enough..:elf3:

Me too! I have pre-lit tree (I don't even know how many lights it has), but always add extra lights!

ornamentmaven
10-28-2011, 09:39 PM
that's absolutely nuts. I wonder if they even tested this out or got any other opinions.

Maybe it's just us Christmas fanatics who think these numbers are low!

olga
10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Im about to go and get 600-700 lights for my old tree (2m).
Is it ok, you think???

ornamentmaven
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Im about to go and get 600-700 lights for my old tree (2m).
Is it ok, you think???

That should be about right!

Crazymike1965
10-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Yes like Mike was saying it is very hard to plan an exact number of lights when decorating a tree. I kept on running out of lights when I was setting up my new tree last year so I ended up making several trips out to the local store.

olga
10-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes like Mike was saying it is very hard to plan an exact number of lights when decorating a tree. I kept on running out of lights when I was setting up my new tree last year so I ended up making several trips out to the local store.

You know, Mike, this is my first Christmas in my new appartment, so, as you can realise, I have not even a tree..
I decided to use an old one from my parents house and now, I have to do everything from the start... So, my tree is about 2m and I say to begin with 600-700 lights.
Do you think, I will need more??

Forgot to mention, instead of balls, I plan to hang big red bows, after I buy a huge red ribbon and cut it in pieces..

Crazymike1965
10-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Hi Olga I would say that it all depends on how tightly you have your lights on the tree and if you are planning on decorating every side of the tree. If you have lots of patience and weave/wrap each branch on your tree you will use a lot of lights. I would say 700 to 1000 lights but that is just my opinion and I am a madman :)

.........something else to consider is if you are using lots of ornaments that are not transparent you will not see all of those extra lights...

olga
10-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Hi Olga I would say that it all depends on how tightly you have your lights on the tree and if you are planning on decorating every side of the tree. If you have lots of patience and weave/wrap each branch on your tree you will use a lot of lights. I would say 700 to 1000 lights but that is just my opinion and I am a madman :)

.........something else to consider is if you are using lots of ornaments that are not transparent you will not see all of those extra lights...

Thanks Mike. You know, I really agree I will need more lights.
Maybe, I will start with those 600-700 and, after hanging bows and some wooden ornaments I have, I will see whats missing.

ChristmasFairy
10-29-2011, 07:10 PM
we are having trouble with how many lights we should use. i want to use clear lights as well as multi colored lights because i feel like with no clear lights the tree seems kinda dull... I think the amount of lights one uses is a matter of preference ... same as type of lights and colour.

Perhaps this may help .... Click here (http://www.bhg.com/videos/m/32071354/how-to-light-a-christmas-tree.htm#q=stringing+christmas+lights+on+tree)

For me ... I kept stringing and running out of lights so had to keep going back to the store and purchasing more until the entire tree was lit. For my 7 1/2 foot tree I needed at least 1500 lights.:waving:

ChristmasFairy
10-29-2011, 07:21 PM
If you have lots of patience and weave/wrap each branch on your tree you will use a lot of lights....

.........something else to consider is if you are using lots of ornaments that are not transparent you will not see all of those extra lights...Too true ...... I am a confirmed 'branch wrapper' as I don't like to see the cords dangling from branch to branch :elf1: and you're 'spot on' about the non-transparent ornaments blocking out lights :elf3:

MinnesotaMike
10-29-2011, 09:32 PM
I string all the lights first, THEN I go back and tuck in and hide the wires as completely as possible. Our tree is also pre-lit, but that's not even REMOTELY close to the number of lights I like to see! I add TONS!

Christmas_mama
10-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Wow, my tree is 6ft and I only have one string of lights on it! It's not massive, either - I think it's about 160 bulbs!

ChristmasFairy
11-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Today I discovered that half the lights on two strings of lights for the tree are not working... Phew !!! Don't know if I want to spend hours trying to figure out which bulbs to replace ... BUT I've already blown my budget !!!

I swear Christmas lights are the devil's work :gelf:.... always something ....:elf1:

The only part of decorating that I do not enjoy ... Grrr!!

Crazymike1965
11-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Crazy, Mike! Don't be surprised if you find this under your tree in December:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Humor/CrazyHat.jpg

I am 150 lights shy of hitting 500 lights per foot this year lol :elf1:

ChristmasFairy
11-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Okay I've changed out the first and last bulbs (not working) on the bits on the strands of lights not lighting ...... still not working.

Obviously there's no current flowing to those sections. Checked the wires and all intact. Any ideas ?? before I pull my hair out or throw them in the bin ... LOL

What's annoying is that they were working when I put them on the tree.

Crazymike1965
11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
try to give the wires between the bulbs a little twist and give each of the bulbs gentle push as one bulb might be loose.
Were you able to confirm that the 2 bulbs that you removed have not blown.

ChristmasFairy
11-19-2011, 02:03 PM
try to give the wires between the bulbs a little twist and give each of the bulbs gentle push as one bulb might be loose.
Were you able to confirm that the 2 bulbs that you removed have not blown.Thanks Mike .... on one section of one string a bulb had blown (not the two I removed) and in the other section it was the wire that was twisted like you said.... probably pulled too tightly as I branch wrap.

On the second string ... the copper bit on the inside of where the bulb slots in had become bent so the filament on the bulb wasn't making contact. Don't know how that happened .... but after a good MANY, MANY hours it's all working. Problem was I had to take both the strings off the tree and lay them out on the floor to find the problem.

I priced the exact same lights in the shops yesterday at $35.00 per string ... so am pretty pleased as just saved $70.00 ... Yeah!!!:christmastree: