PDA

View Full Version : Do you have multiple colors on your tree?

Merry Christmas Darling
09-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Does anyone decorate the 1960s way with mulptiple colors on your tree?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-3-VINTAGE-SHINY-BRITE-GLASS-STENCILED-CHRISTMAS-ORNAMENTS-/180730439412?_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3 D12%26pmod%3D320752081178%252B380372701789%252B270 825251424%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D313549435 8624156836

Some people chose a color scheme with somewhat matching ornaments. My mother just used lots of colors avoiding only those she detested. Our tree had a lot of striped Shiny Brites and some solid color Shiny Brites with mica stencils.

So if you decorate with a lot of colors or maybe three or four colors, what colors do you choose?

ChantelleJoy
09-30-2011, 10:32 PM
The tree of my childhood, was a cornucopia of colours - there was no ryme or reason to the decor, it was every hand-made, 2nd run, or shiny new decoration my mom could use. Multicoloured blinking lights, and tinsel and garlands in every colour.

Sometime in my teens my mom decided to buy all new decorations, and decorate her tree in only red/gold.

When I got my own tree for the first time (in 2005) I bought a set of matching decorations, red, silver and white - and have been adding to that every year since.

However, last year, my roomate and I decided to have two trees. One real, for the living room, and I could set up my artificial tree (the red/white/silver one) in my bedroom. And we both agreed that it should be a Classic multi-coloured tree - so we bought pink, blue, green, purple, all sorts of ornaments and multicoloured lights, and went to down. It was great, and I loved it for being so sentimental.

I'll probably do the same thing this year.

:)

Merry Christmas Darling
09-30-2011, 11:10 PM
The tree of my childhood, was a cornucopia of colours - there was no ryme or reason to the decor, it was every hand-made, 2nd run, or shiny new decoration my mom could use. Multicoloured blinking lights, and tinsel and garlands in every colour.

Sometime in my teens my mom decided to buy all new decorations, and decorate her tree in only red/gold.

When I got my own tree for the first time (in 2005) I bought a set of matching decorations, red, silver and white - and have been adding to that every year since.

However, last year, my roomate and I decided to have two trees. One real, for the living room, and I could set up my artificial tree (the red/white/silver one) in my bedroom. And we both agreed that it should be a Classic multi-coloured tree - so we bought pink, blue, green, purple, all sorts of ornaments and multicoloured lights, and went to down. It was great, and I loved it for being so sentimental.

I'll probably do the same thing this year.

:)

I'm glad you responded to this thread. I get so nostalgic sometimes for the old ornaments and crazy colors(my mother avoided purple though). But when I see trees with just two or three colors or all sparkly like tinkerbell's and Crazymike's, I think they're beautiful, too. So I haven't decided what I'll do this year. Our new 40" tree should arrive next week.

cujiine
10-01-2011, 01:02 AM
At one point, a majority of our tree were the ornaments that came in boxed sets where they were hand blown glass ornaments of different colors and patterns and a few random pieces that my grand mother had sent for my brother and I ever year and a family ornament for every year. Now that there are 23 family ornaments, plus 22 ornaments for my brother, plus 20 ornaments for myself, and this year were adding three more, we've pushed the old matching sets out. I have a small 3ft fake tree that I set up in my room and cover in the multicolored lights and tinsel and all of our old ornaments. It makes me nostalgic of when I was little.

Christmas_mama
10-01-2011, 03:24 AM
Most of my ornaments are matching colours (silver, white, clear) but I use multicoloured lights and a littly bit of red tinsel to bring some colour into it :-)

As a child, my mum's tree was always multicoloured with ornaments we made at school, some similar to those in the link posted in the original post, and a general mismatch of multicoloured lights, tinsel and whichever ornaments she had acquired over the years. I loved it and decorating it was always my favorite part of the Christmas season :) Now, though I have my own tree and I like my co-ordinated snowy icey colour scheme. Still, I can't resist the little splash of colour and while I do sometimes feel myself being pulled toward buying some clear / white lights for the tree, I always end up falling in love with my coloured ones again and wanting them to stay instead. I just can't resist a little bit of colour on my Christmas tree ;)

ornamentmaven
10-01-2011, 03:53 AM
Wow - my childhood tree was a bit of everything and always real. Multicolor, large bulb lights with predominately glass ball ornaments in all colors, and lots of tinsel - no garland!

Today my tree is artificial, with clear lights and hardly any glass ball ornaments (except for a few antiques). My ornaments are mostly characters - dolls, toys, teddies, special shapes, commemoratives, etc. I also use white garland, silver beads and a white angel topper. I OVERLOAD my tree with ornaments of every color and style. The clear lights, white garland and silver beads illuminate the ornaments. I love my tree!

Was thinking about putting up a second tree with just dolls this year!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-01-2011, 05:26 AM
Was thinking about putting up a second tree with just dolls this year!

:dance:

MinnesotaMike
10-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I prefer multi-colors, lots of lights, and a wide variety of ornaments that represent many different things from the past. To be honest...trees that appear too "perfect" or monochromatic make me think of grandmas or trees that you see in businesses. In my opinion, they lack a certain "personality" that I like to associate with the season. I realize many of you have trees like that, and I appreciate their beauty. It's just not my style.

Kristen
10-01-2011, 11:04 PM
i usually dont. Growing up my mom had our tree covered with multicoloured lights and decorations. Now she doesnt really do that either but I think this year I might branch about a bit from the red and white I only do and add some other colours. Or I could buy another tree and decorate that one with more colour...just an excuse to buy another tree :christmastree:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-02-2011, 05:37 AM
My sister and I decorated our mother's tree when we were teenagers. I always wanted to put this blue ornament on myself

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Shiny%20Brite%20Album/ShinyBriteoneBay-1.jpg

and I liked the double-indent ornaments; my sister could do half of those and I'd do the other half.

:home:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-02-2011, 05:42 AM
I prefer multi-colors, lots of lights, and a wide variety of ornaments that represent many different things from the past. To be honest...trees that appear too "perfect" or monochromatic make me think of grandmas or trees that you see in businesses. In my opinion, they lack a certain "personality" that I like to associate with the season. I realize many of you have trees like that, and I appreciate their beauty. It's just not my style.

I love different styles of trees. One of the prettiest ones I ever did(IMO) was this one:
http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20in%20Our%20Home/IMG_0263-1-2.jpg

Merry Christmas Darling
10-02-2011, 06:47 AM
I added silver bells to our guest room tree:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%202011/Christmas2011004-1.jpg

That tree has no color scheme, but there's a lot of mica.

MinnesotaMike
10-02-2011, 07:16 AM
I'm not the kind of person to use all white lights. Ever since I was a boy, I just thought all white lights were not "Christmassy" enough. I always thought white lights could go on anything...like a deck rail in the middle of summer. Perhaps that is why I've always preferred multi-colored. I just associate multi with the holiday. Beautiful tree though. If you asked me about using flower garland, I would say absolutely not. BUT...as it turns out, it truly draws the eye, and I find it quite appealing!! Probably a touch too "fancy" for my house though. We're a blue-collar family with the shiny gold garland (for about $.99 cents) to prove it. :)

ornamentmaven
10-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Oh yes MW, I have that same ornament in pink!

MinnesotaMike
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
When I was a kid in the 70's. My grandparents had a white artificial tree and they used one of those fancy spinning color wheels next to it to make it change colors. Now THAT was definitely a sign of the times. Ironically, they are making a bit of a comeback with people who, like me, have those memories and want to bring them back.

ornamentmaven
10-03-2011, 06:13 AM
Did they have a white tree Mike, or was it an aluminum tree? I remember the color wheel with the alum. trees in the 1960's

MinnesotaMike
10-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Did they have a white tree Mike, or was it an aluminum tree? I remember the color wheel with the alum. trees in the 1960's

Not sure now. Could have been now that you mention it. I wish they still had it, and I could get my hands on it!!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-03-2011, 07:54 AM
When I was a kid in the 70's. My grandparents had a white artificial tree and they used one of those fancy spinning color wheels next to it to make it change colors. Now THAT was definitely a sign of the times. Ironically, they are making a bit of a comeback with people who, like me, have those memories and want to bring them back.

My grandparents had an aluminum tree with the color wheel.

TheWire
10-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Absolutely. Always keep it with multiple colours. When I put up the diverse light colouring, too, the reflections and brightness looks very nice. I can't imagine a Christmas tree being the one colour - too ponderous and mundane for my liking.

Papa_Christmas
10-05-2011, 12:20 AM
I have both.One tree with white lights and two with multi-color.For several years we did red,white and green blinking/chasing.My all time favorite was back in the day when my son was little(he's 35 now) we always had a real tree with C7 clear colored twinkling lights and we would lie on the floor and marvel at the images on the ceiling created by the lights twinkling through the tree branches.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-05-2011, 05:04 AM
I have both.One tree with white lights and two with multi-color.For several years we did red,white and green blinking/chasing.My all time favorite was back in the day when my son was little(he's 35 now) we always had a real tree with C7 clear colored twinkling lights and we would lie on the floor and marvel at the images on the ceiling created by the lights twinkling through the tree branches.

Hey! We're talkin' ornaments here! http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Smiley%20Christmas/box_of_ornaments.gif

:gelf:

Papa_Christmas
10-05-2011, 06:21 AM
Hey! We're talkin' ornaments here! http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Smiley%20Christmas/box_of_ornaments.gif

:gelf:

Ornaments.......... why in the world would anyone use just one color of ornament that's just ludicrous.:elf1:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Ornaments.......... why in the world would anyone use just one color of ornament that's just ludicrous.:elf1:

No, Papa! Ludicrous is a strong word. I know you're joking. We have 2 members (at least) who have all crystal ornaments. But I remember your colorful trees! So let's all expand our horizons. One person wants serentity, another wants carnival.

Papa_Christmas
10-05-2011, 08:28 PM
No, Papa! Ludicrous is a strong word. I know you're joking. We have 2 members (at least) who have all crystal ornaments. But I remember your colorful trees! So let's all expand our horizons. One person wants serentity, another wants carnival.

MW my friend of course I was joking.You must agree however that crystal ornament tree's such as my Dear Friend Tink's exhibit subtle hints of all the colors in the rainbow when light plays on their many facets.:elf3:

I assure you I can deeply appreciate the talent's of people like Crazy Mike and Tink.Their trees are some of the most elegant I have ever seen.My horizons are quite expansive my preferences sadly like my mind are quite narrow. :elf1::elf1::elf1:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
MW my friend of course I was joking.You must agree however that crystal ornament tree's such as my Dear Friend Tink's exhibit subtle hints of all the colors in the rainbow when light plays on their many facets.:elf3:

I assure you I can deeply appreciate the talent's of people like Crazy Mike and Tink.Their trees are some of the most elegant I have ever seen.My horizons are quite expansive my preferences sadly like my mind are quite narrow. :elf1::elf1::elf1:

Your mind ain't narrow! No way!!! You silly wabbit!

MinnesotaMike
10-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I probably have the most ghetto tree around! Our mix of ornaments vary from ones I made as a kid, to Hallmark ornaments, to cheap plastic balls, to candy canes. I use all sizes of multi lights. Our tree would never win any awards, but we're proud of it, and we all love it!!

ornamentmaven
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
I probably have the most ghetto tree around! Our mix of ornaments vary from ones I made as a kid, to Hallmark ornaments, to cheap plastic balls, to candy canes. I use all sizes of multi lights. Our tree would never win any awards, but we're proud of it, and we all love it!!

Thats all that counts!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-06-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm not a competetive person. My tree only has to meet my standards. Christmas is the time to be happy and to show our love and kindness. If we're around grumpy people, we don't have to behave like they do. So if you have a tree, decorate it the way you like it, and if you don't have a tree, well...celebrate without one. The first year we were married we had a honeycomb paper tree and no ornaments.

jamaicabraden
10-06-2011, 11:32 PM
We have Balsam Hill Christmas trees (http://www.balsamhill.com/Artificial-Christmas-Trees-s/1.htm) since last year and I don't have any plan of buying new tree since the economy is really bad these days. Anyway, no one can tell if the tree is already one year old since it was kept in the stock room and it still looks great. anyway, for the color combinations of the christmas balls, i prefer the gold, silver, green and red.

MinnesotaMike
10-07-2011, 02:08 AM
That's a solid color combination.

JollyElfDC
10-10-2011, 12:37 AM
When I first started doing my own tree I wanted everything to be red, green or gold, but I found so many ornaments I liked in other colors that I caved pretty quick. I do try and keep everything Old Fashiond looking. I collect the European style blown glass ornaments, so my non glass ornaments are Victorian looking angels and Father Christmas style Santa heads.