PDA

View Full Version : Gift for the father who buys it all for himself?

cujiine
09-29-2011, 04:26 AM
My family has the same problem every year when it comes down to buying stuff for my father. His birthday is the 21st and Christmas is just 4 days later. He's got plenty of hobbies that we could buy stuff for, except either the next best part for it is over $100 or he'll need it and therefore go out and buy it. Anyone have suggestions for what to get the man who will buy himself stuff up until the day before his birthday?

If it helps, he's into computers a lot, he's going to be 62 this year, still works in a business casual type environment.

Merry Christmas Darling
09-29-2011, 04:56 AM
We have that problem also. I suggest a gift certificate to Office Max or his favorite computer store, or a subscription to a favorite magazine, or something for the home office. Or some of his favorite type snacks. But, hopefully, someone will post some ideas for both of us.

MinnesotaMike
09-29-2011, 06:25 AM
gift cards. just go with it.

cujiine
09-29-2011, 08:18 AM
I'd like to avoid gift cards. Other than a Starbucks one that I give him every year, I won't give them out because at least when I get one, it feels like the person either forgot until last minute and picked one up, or they didn't care to find out about what I wanted.

ornamentmaven
09-29-2011, 09:21 AM
I love gift cards. Usually the gifts I get are not my style and I feel guilty exchanging them. Gift cards are great because it's like two gifts in one... shopping (which I love)...for free!

*Snowflake*
09-29-2011, 07:13 PM
maybe framed family portrait:elf1:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd like to avoid gift cards. Other than a Starbucks one that I give him every year, I won't give them out because at least when I get one, it feels like the person either forgot until last minute and picked one up, or they didn't care to find out about what I wanted.

In that case, I'd ask him for a list of things he'd like. If he doesn't know, he gets a gift card!

badtzmaru
10-23-2011, 04:09 AM
My uncle is the same way, he usually goes out and buy himself anything he needs so he's always a hard one to shop for. He loves meaningful and funny quotes so I ended up getting him a message engraved baseball bat from GiveaBat.com. I sent the bat directly to his office and he loved it, he displays it on his desk at work now.

This is a good option when you don't know what to give but want to give something more personal than gift cards.

MinnesotaMike
10-23-2011, 04:22 AM
I think I've mentioned this in other posts, but speaking as a father, my children could give me just about ANYTHING in the world, and I would love it just the same. You never have to overthink a gift for a parent that you love, and who loves you more than anything.

shikha
10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
:familytree: you would gifted him a beautiful painting and I know one site who turn the photo into a beautiful painting:treedance:

Snowman
10-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Although not quite as old as your father,I'm pretty much into a lot of hobbies etc,and will buy stuff as and when I need it,but over the years I have devised a plan to help my kids buy my presents and I get what I need.Example, I like to do a lot of walking in the fall/winter,the other day I came back from a walk and stepped into the kitchen,my wife was there talking to one of my sons and his girlfriend,I casually said,"I'm going to have to get myself a new backpack and some more of these trousers,these have about had it." [the kaki type with lots of pockets].When we were sat down a bit later with my other son there,I said to my wife "remind me when we go shopping to get some more files,paper and I quite fancy getting myself a new pen set."
Yesterday my wife warned me not to buy anything for myself before Christmas.

:snowman:

ornamentmaven
10-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Although not quite as old as your father,I'm pretty much into a lot of hobbies etc,and will buy stuff as and when I need it,but over the years I have devised a plan to help my kids buy my presents and I get what I need.Example, I like to do a lot of walking in the fall/winter,the other day I came back from a walk and stepped into the kitchen,my wife was there talking to one of my sons and his girlfriend,I casually said,"I'm going to have to get myself a new backpack and some more of these trousers,these have about had it." [the kaki type with lots of pockets].When we were sat down a bit later with my other son there,I said to my wife "remind me when we go shopping to get some more files,paper and I quite fancy getting myself a new pen set."
Yesterday my wife warned me not to buy anything for myself before Christmas

:snowman:

Sometimes all we need to do is listen!

Shanniclause
10-26-2011, 01:33 AM
This describes my dad to a T.
I usually end up getting him a gift certificate.

:presents1:

Not Long Until Christmas
11-07-2011, 07:48 PM
A digital photo frame with a memory card pre-loaded with photos that you have chosen. Should appeal on the tech front and it's personalised too.

violadav
11-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Please tell me that which scooter is better for a 8 year old kid, I have to gift my cousin a one but i am confused between kick and simple manual scooter.This would be really appreciated.