PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite version of, 'A Christmas Carol'?

Christmas_mama
09-24-2011, 01:00 AM
I love the one starring Patrick Stewart, but mostly just because I'm a huge Patrick Stewart fan and think his acting is just the best :elf1: My daughter likes the muppet christmas carol. What's your favorite version?

SilverBells
09-24-2011, 03:49 AM
I love the one starring Patrick Stewart, but mostly just because I'm a huge Patrick Stewart fan and think his acting is just the best :elf1: My daughter likes the muppet christmas carol. What's your favorite version?

Same as yours Christmas_mama :elf3: I am also a fan of Patrick Steward. And I really liked him as Captain Picard on Star Trek.

Christmas_mama
09-24-2011, 05:10 AM
Same as yours Christmas_mama :elf3: I am also a fan of Patrick Steward. And I really liked him as Captain Picard on Star Trek.

Same. I am a massive Star Trek fan, too :elf1:

ChantelleJoy
09-24-2011, 07:01 AM
I LOVE him as Picard on TNG - but I havn't seen his Christmas Carol version..
you are all CRAZY if you think there's a better version than this:

http://img.amazon.ca/images/I/51ZTxNgcdoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm Serious!

ornamentmaven
09-24-2011, 03:18 PM
I don't know why, but I dont care for any movie versions of this classic. I'd rather read the story or see it on the stage!

*Snowflake*
09-24-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know why, but I dont care for any movie versions of this classic. I'd rather read the story or see it on the stage!

well ornamentmaven we agree again,don't like it too:elf1:

MinnesotaMike
09-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Well...frankly, my favorite is local. In Minneapolis, the Guthrie Theater performs A Christmas Carol annually, and they always feature prominent national actors. With the exception of the past couple years (because of kids being too little), I have seen it live for the past 20 or so years. For many people in the Twin Cities, it's an annual tradition. Our plan is to start again next year since Levi will be 3 and likely be able to sit still long enough!! Without question, it is my favorite "Christmas Carol" viewing experience. Every time I see it, I am moved to tears with Joy in my heart and the Christmas spirit all around!! No movie version has the same impact on me. Several years ago, Patrick Stewart was actually featured in it!! The Guthrie is my favorite, but as far as movies go, I was actually quite impressed with the production quality of the animated one that came out last year (Disney).

ornamentmaven
09-24-2011, 11:10 PM
I am hoping to find a local stage version as well this year

ToriBear
09-24-2011, 11:39 PM
At 24, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that "A Muppet Christmas Carol" is far and away my favorite version. lol :smitten:

ChantelleJoy
09-25-2011, 01:27 AM
At 24, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that "A Muppet Christmas Carol" is far and away my favorite version. lol :smitten:

Tori, I'm 29! (and by the time Xmas is here I'll be 30), and it's my favourite too, so don't worry!

Christmas_mama
09-25-2011, 05:33 AM

Have you seen the Patrick Stewart version? Aside from Star Trek, he worked primarily in stage theatre so maybe you'd like his version?

you are all CRAZY if you think there's a better version than this:

You'd get on well with my 3 year old daugher ;)

Merry Christmas Darling
09-25-2011, 09:56 AM
My favorite is the 1951 version with Alistair Sim, maybe because I remember watching it with my mother.

Elf_Erv
09-25-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree with Marshmallow, Alastair Sim did it right!

tinkerbell2
09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
We have and like the Patrick Stewart version, but I like the George C Scott one

best..

HollyJolly
09-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Tori, I'm 29! (and by the time Xmas is here I'll be 30), and it's my favourite too, so don't worry!

I must admit, I don't think I have ever seen the Muppet version, but I am 32 (will be 33 by Christmas) and my favorite is still Mickey's Christmas Carol!!!! :elf3:

MinnesotaMike
09-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Scrooge McDuck

MinnesotaMike
09-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Actually, that reminds me of Scrooged with Bill Murray. THAT was a pretty cool version!

ornamentmaven
09-27-2011, 06:48 AM
Actually, that reminds me of Scrooged with Bill Murray. THAT was a pretty cool version!

Actually Mike that one wasn't too bad, but now that I think about it, I liked "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"

SilverBells
09-27-2011, 02:31 PM

I really like that one too.

TheMumzee
09-27-2011, 04:38 PM

I'm 45 and it still cracks me up every time I watch it!!!! And I LOVE A Christmas Carol SOOOOOOOO much, I don't think I have a favorite. But the Muppet Christmas Carol is one f the best!!! "light the lamp, not the rat. LIGHT THE LAMP, NOT THE RAT!!!!" ROFL!

:home:

MinnesotaMike
09-29-2011, 04:03 AM
I really like that one too.

I always think of it when I hear the song "Put a little love in your heart".

christmasislove
10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
My favorite is Alan Menken's version with Kelsey Grammer that is a Hallmark Classic. We are doing it in South GA this christmas on Stage! :christmastree:

MinnesotaMike
10-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah...saw the Kelsey Grammer version last year on Hallmark. It was decent.

omgitzdestineex
10-17-2011, 01:55 AM
My favorite version is Jim Carrey's 'A Christmas Carol'.
I just love the animation of it, as well as everybody in
that version :elf1:

olga
10-17-2011, 05:40 PM
The Muppet Christmas Carol, by far...
And for those who have not watched it, I strongly suggest you watch it, this season.

The story is… successfully narrated by Charles Dickens (played by Gonzo), together with Rizzo the rat (the only one in the film that plays his own self).
It goes without saying that The Muppets work wonderful together with Michael Caine, in this film!!!
The British actor in the role of the mean and grumpy, Empenezer Scrooge...

I bet, you will love it..

Papa_Christmas
10-17-2011, 08:58 PM
I have every version of this classic tale I have been able to lay my hands on.Picking just one favorite would be like choosing which one of your kids you love the most.IMPOSSIBLE:elf3:

devoy26
10-19-2011, 06:26 AM
My favourite is Scrooge with Albert Finney . It is magical and the scene where he ends up in hell used to scare us to death as children. we watch this movie every year without fail.
:santa2:

olga
10-19-2011, 05:43 PM
My favourite is Scrooge with Albert Finney . It is magical and the scene where he ends up in hell used to scare us to death as children. we watch this movie every year without fail.
:santa2:

Also, its my best version, after Muppet Christmas Carol
I love the part ''Thank You Very Much (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiNMz_745vQ)'' !!!
Also, love the first 2.15 min (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLB0vmCoPU) of the film, I mean the start with the titles and the music, I find the music sooo touching...

jingle
10-25-2011, 05:47 AM
The Nebraska Theatre Caravan has one of the most extensive tours through-out the U.S. Maybe they'll be comming your way.

kristleful
10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Mickey's Christmas Carol! Just the music in the beginning makes me tear up, because I've been watching it since I was very young.:home:

nholl4
10-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Mine, and my mum's, favourite version is the one with Alastair Sim...it is such a classic!!

Classic Christmas
11-14-2011, 01:12 AM
Wonderful thread!

I love "A Christmas Carol", and am pretty sure I've seen every version made, multiple times.

It is tradition to watch "A Muppet's Christmas Carol" the day after Thanksgiving, after putting up the tree. That is a favorite.

But my most fave has to be George C. Scott's version from 1984. Absolutely magical. Scrooge has never been portrayed better, IMO.

Also love the Alistair Sim's version.

CATZILLA
11-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Mine is Alistair Sim's version :home:

http://media.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=2815

Merry Christmas Darling
11-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Mine is Alistair Sim's version :home:

http://media.dvdtown.com/images/displayimage.php?id=2815

Yes, I grew up with that one.

Fezziwig
11-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I am in the Patrick Stewart group. I thought his portrayal of Scrooge was the best. He also did a stage performance of "A Christmas Carol" a couple years back where both read and acted all 40 characters with nothing more than a Table, Chair, and Over-sized Book. It was on Broadway and sold out every night .. maybe he'll revive it one Christmas. I heard it was fantastic.

dog8food
11-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Jim Carrey's. It's hilarious!

vadare
11-22-2011, 02:10 AM
To all of my fellow Christmas fans:

I have joined this forum so that I might find something for my mother, who has sent me on a grand quest. (Although I'm sure I'll be sticking around for more year-round Christmas cheer!) :elf1:

About 40-50 years ago, my mother said she watched a black-and-white, animated version of "A Christmas Carol" that was based on the original illustrations. She said she was pretty certain that she was a child, but not a small child, when she saw it. That would put it at about the 1950's-1960's. She only saw it once, but it has stuck with her since then. This was in Southeastern Virginia, USA.

I am consulting IMDB and amazon.com to try to find it, but am having no luck so far. That's why I'm coming here for some assistance.

Oh, and BTW, my favorite version of "A Christmas Carol" is probably the Muppet version. But I hold no hatred for any of them. The George C. Scott one is cool as is the Patrick Stewart one.

In fact, a couple of years ago I wrote to USA Today and gave them a list of actors I'd like to see play Scrooge in future versions of "ACC". They published my letter in their online version.

BTW, my choices were Kenneth Branaugh (and have Emma Thompson play the Ghost of Christmas Past), David Bowie, Hugh Laurie (although grumpy Scrooge might wind up looking like Dr. House with an accent) and David McCallum (and, for the classic TV fans, have Robert Vaughn play Jacob Marley).

Thanks, y'all!!

humbugbasset
11-23-2011, 12:48 AM
I think I know the version your looking for. Try 1971 Animated version with Michael Redgrave as narrator. Alistair Sim is the voice of Scrooge. The Wikipedia blurb says "inspired by 19th century engraved illustrations of the 1930's edition of a Christmas Carol." I have this version and the drawings are awesome. I think it is only an hour long but not sure.

My favorite versions are Mr. Magoo's & the George C. Scott versions, although I like nearly all of them.

There is a cute version with the Flinstones, where Fred plays Scrooge in the community play & becomes a little too caught up in his character.
HTH
Susan

Classic Christmas
11-23-2011, 08:23 AM
Is it this one: http://www.fanpop.com/spots/christmas/videos/13923/title/richard-williams-christmas-carol

It's not B&W, though it is forty-years-old now (my goodness, where are you going, time??)

steph535
11-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I think I know the version your looking for. Try 1971 Animated version with Michael Redgrave as narrator. Alistair Sim is the voice of Scrooge. The Wikipedia blurb says "inspired by 19th century engraved illustrations of the 1930's edition of a Christmas Carol." I have this version and the drawings are awesome. I think it is only an hour long but not sure.

My favorite versions are Mr. Magoo's & the George C. Scott versions, although I like nearly all of them.

There is a cute version with the Flinstones, where Fred plays Scrooge in the community play & becomes a little too caught up in his character.
HTH
Susan

I had never heard of this one so I was looking it up on google. Apparently, it is only one half hour, maybe a few minutes less than that, but it seems to have gotten good customer reviews

steph535
11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Is it this one: http://www.fanpop.com/spots/christmas/videos/13923/title/richard-williams-christmas-carol

It's not B&W, though it is forty-years-old now (my goodness, where are you going, time??)

that's the one humbugbasset is talking about

vadare
11-27-2011, 04:20 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help with the animated "Christmas Carol" I was looking for. Mama vadare says that's probably it, she just thought it was all b&w instead of the somewhat muted colors in this one.

Anyway, Mama vadare and I watched the musical version of "Christmas Carol" (the one with Kelsey Grammer) last night. I'd forgotten that Jesse L. Martin played GofCPresent in that one.

Now here's a question...what is your favorite scene in any of these versions? I think mine is always the one where GofCPresent opens his coat to reveal Ignorance and Want. It absolutely makes Scrooge (and, consequently the rest of us) actually face our own ignorance and greed. When GofCPresent shoots his own words back at him...very very powerful.

Classic Christmas
11-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Now here's a question...what is your favorite scene in any of these versions? I think mine is always the one where GofCPresent opens his coat to reveal Ignorance and Want. It absolutely makes Scrooge (and, consequently the rest of us) actually face our own ignorance and greed. When GofCPresent shoots his own words back at him...very very powerful.

Good question!

Wow, what scene...

I guess for me it's at the beginning of the story, as they are working Christmas Eve afternoon, and Scrooge's nephew, Fred,comes in all full of the Christmas spirit. That scene somehow captures the Christmas Eve afternoon feel for me, not sure why.

But I bet if you asked tomorrow, I'd have a different answer! :)

jackychan
11-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Muppets version:):xmaswink:

Charlie
06-03-2012, 02:27 PM
I
I love the Muppet version for sure!!!!!!!! However Alastair Sim is the best Scrooge ever for me!!!
It is hard to beat the classics!!!!:santa-smiley::santa-smiley::santa-smiley::santa-smiley::santa-smiley::santa-smiley:

liainoMeabodo
06-04-2012, 05:48 AM
think again, your army of many thousands of readers will not understand you, forgive !

liainoMeabodo
06-04-2012, 05:57 AM
fully support , the same thoughts were .

AKarp2013
06-18-2012, 05:50 AM
There are some who don't like it, but I loved the Jim Carrey version. I thought it was just beautiful and the most true to the book. I love it!

Winters Song
09-22-2012, 06:12 PM
I enjoy Patrick Stewarts & George C. Scotts as well but my absolute favorite is Alastair Sim!Just love it and they rarely show it anymore.When my nephew was about 7 he used to watch it with me and took a liking to the scene where Jacob Marley appears to Scrooge for the first time and proceeded to quote it during the whole Christmas season lol.His favorite line being"You do not know the weight & length of the strong coil that you bare!It was as long and heavy as this 7 Christmas eve's ago and you have labored on it since....ahhh it is a ponderous chain"LOL.

But yeah Alastair Sim is my favorite

ornamentmaven
09-22-2012, 10:00 PM
I don' like this story and I don't know why!!!

*Snowflake*
09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
I don' like this story and I don't know why!!!

yeah,not fan myself either.

angelpugs2
09-28-2012, 09:47 AM
As i own the original with alastair sim,as i have collected many of the christmas classics.:elf3:5462

JJ147
10-08-2012, 05:45 AM
I can't say exactly because I haven't seen a lot, but I'm actually a huge fan of 'Scrooged'. It makes me laugh, but I actually do cry at the end every time. How truly happy he is at the end always just gets me.

steph535
10-08-2012, 06:12 AM
I remember my mother watching the Alistair Sim version when I was growing up but I didn't appreciate it then. Now, I own the dvd and I love it. I bought the George C. Scott version in the 80's or 90's, and that is definitely a favorite. In fact, it was THE favorite for years. You just can't get much better than Mr. Scott. But, I can't say that I like it more than the Alistair Sim version now. I don't think they can really be compared; the actors just approached the role in different ways and they are both superb. Last year, I bought the Patrick Stewart version but we never got around to watching it so we will definitely be watching it sometime after Thanksgiving.

Papa_Christmas
10-08-2012, 01:22 PM
The greatest Christmas story by one of history's great authors.I love the book and I must have 15 different movie versions.
My favorite has always been Scrooge with Albert Finney 1970 and tied for second I would put the Alastair Sim and Patrick Stewart versions but honestly I've never seen one I didn't like.:tree:

Winters Song
10-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Just wanted to say I love ur quote in your signature Papa Christmas!

Papa_Christmas
10-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Just wanted to say I love ur quote in your signature Papa Christmas!

Thanks Winters Song :elf3: I see you are also a Dickens fan by you signature welcome to the forum.

King Rick
10-11-2012, 08:32 PM
I personally can't get enough of The Muppets Christmas Carol. Though any time I hear about it being performed in my city I go check it out, just to support local theatre and whatnot. Surprising how good the people in your own city are

Winters Song
10-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I sure am a fan & ty for the welcome!

xmasjules
10-13-2012, 04:31 AM
While I never liked the story (found it extremely boring and way too long), I do admit that I like Jim Carey's version. I guess it brought something extra (although I'm not quite sure exactly what at the moment).

polrwht07
10-18-2012, 03:54 PM
I love the 1935 version starting Seymour Hicks. My parents had it on VHS when I was a kid, and me and my brother wore that tape out year round.

Classic Christmas
10-21-2012, 04:00 PM
I love the 1935 version starting Seymour Hicks. My parents had it on VHS when I was a kid, and me and my brother wore that tape out year round.

Wonderful version.

After Halloween I will begin watching the different versions of "A Christmas Carol". A nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

storm85
10-23-2012, 06:01 AM
Muppets christmas carol for me. Hands down love the muppets

Winters Song
10-23-2012, 07:43 PM
Reginald Owen's a good one too I believe it's from 1935.

frostythesnowman
11-02-2012, 10:37 AM
for me its the jim carrey version....thought it was out of this world!

olga
02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
A very good one, indeed, although, I would not recommend it to children. I would say, its a Christmas film for grown up kids. :santasmile: