PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Breakfast

ToriBear
09-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Do you guys have a certain tradition for Christmas breakfast? Or a certain food you always make?

Its just my fiance and I right now, and this year we will be running around from house to house all day, to see both sides of the family and family friends and its going to be pretty hectic. I'd really like to start a tradition of a special breakfast for us before the day gets really hectic, so we can enjoy the morning together in peace and quiet. Just looking for a few suggestions as to what to make! :)

*Snowflake*
09-08-2011, 08:38 PM
no I don't think we have,but we definitely eat cookies with other things:santa:

ornamentmaven
09-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I like to serve something we can eat leasurely as we open gifts. I like to have quiche, muffins, fruit salad

ToriBear
09-11-2011, 12:29 AM
I like to serve something we can eat leasurely as we open gifts. I like to have quiche, muffins, fruit salad

Muffins! That's a wonderful idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me. Thanks :elf1:

Kelbagdon
09-13-2011, 01:44 AM
I have a recipe for Baked Oatmeal that I am going to make this year. I think it will be perfect. A nice hot, comforting breakfast on a cold Christmas morning! :snowman:

Merry Christmas Darling
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I make this for Christmas breakfast and serve it with link sausages and sauteed apple wedges.

OVEN-BAKED EGGNOG FRENCH TOAST

1 12-oz. Loaf Italian or French Bread

4 eggs

1 cup half-and-half

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Confectioners’ sugar

ABOUT 45 MINUTES BEFORE SERVING:

1. Cut bread crosswise into 16 slices. Arrange bread slices in 15 1/2" by 10 1/2" jelly-roll pan, overlapping slices if necessary.

2. In large bowl, with wire whisk, beat eggs with next 4 ingredients until blended. Pour mixture over bread in pan, turning slices occasionally to coat both sides and until mixture is absorbed.

3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Place bread slices on cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until golden. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Makes 8 servings.

From Good Housekeeping, December 1985

MissChelseyClause
09-15-2011, 06:48 AM
We always have continental brekkie on christmas morning, croissants, crumpets, toast etc and over the last couple of years ive added smoked salmon and scrambled eggs to the list :)
then for boxing day breakfast we have a fry up

:waving::waving::waving:

thomas.kevin
09-17-2011, 04:52 PM
I will do it with muffins, Really love to eat them!!:elf3:

MinnesotaMike
09-17-2011, 10:11 PM
We open stocking presents. Then we make cinnamon rolls. Then we move to the presents under the tree. Nothing huge, just a little tide-me-over until after presents when we drive to my in-laws to celebrate & have a big meal there.

christmasislove
09-21-2011, 01:40 AM
We always have breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls on Christmas Morning! YUMMY!:tree1:

Mr. Christmas
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
:santa1: Hi every 1, I'm new to this site, It looks great, I'm so glad to find people like me that love Christmas all year long like I do. I love the idea of Quiche, muffins and fruit salad 4 a nice...But easy Christmas moring breakfast.

tinkerbell2
10-04-2011, 10:43 PM
:santa1: Hi every 1, I'm new to this site, It looks great, I'm so glad to find people like me that love Christmas all year long like I do. I love the idea of Quiche, muffins and fruit salad 4 a nice...But easy Christmas moring breakfast.

Hi....:waving:

:welcome: to the forum...:elf1:

Pop over to here to say Hello..

http://www.allthingschristmas.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5592

Merry Christmas Darling
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM

What time should we arrive? Just kidding! :gelf: It sounds absolutely delicious though. :elf3:

ornamentmaven
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM

Yes - we have that every year for Christmas Breakfast!

Mr. Christmas
10-05-2011, 11:27 PM
lol, I'm like a big kid I'm up before the kids and up watching the 24 hour marathon of A Christmas story

MinnesotaMike
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
I should also mention that the reason we only have cinnamon rolls for breakfast is because we are saving room for the FONDUE!!!!

nholl4
10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
I LOVE Christmas morning breakfast! My dad is from England, so we have a "traditional" english breakfast with crushed tomatoes, veggie bacon/sausages, tofu scramble, and lots of coffee!! (our family is vegan, that is why I have the traditional part in quotations:)) We aslo eat some of the chocolate and candy from our strockings!!

Oh, and I don't know if anyone has seen/tried this, but at Bulk Barn they have all of these Christmas teas with really cool names, like Christmas Eve, Christmas Morning etc. If anyone ever tries any, I would love to know how they taste!!:christmastree:

ChantelleJoy
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Oh, and I don't know if anyone has seen/tried this, but at Bulk Barn they have all of these Christmas teas with really cool names, like Christmas Eve, Christmas Morning etc. If anyone ever tries any, I would love to know how they taste!!:christmastree:

All I had to do was talk to my cupboard!

http://i.imgur.com/TUAxL.jpg?7580
(sorry the pic is so dark, took it with my phone)

A friend bought this for me from Whole Foods in about April of this year. I've had one cup so far (saving the rest) - it's very tasty! Hard to describe, since it's a blend!

nholl4
10-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply!I will for sure try it! And that is exactly the one I was talking about:) :snowman:

michelmas
10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Everything sounds so good and cinnamon rolls seems to be the food of choice. I don't remember why it began but 15+ years ago we started going to a local hotel restaurant for Christmas breakfast. Many of the same people come every year so it has become a tradition for this non-related group of people to meet once a year for Christmas breakfast. Unusual but we look forward to it every year.

ornamentmaven
10-24-2011, 07:54 AM
I was just reading a Christmas magazine and theyhad several recipes for Christmas breakfast casseroles. They sounded great. One was a french toast casserole and the other was a turkey sausage casserole. You can prepare them a day ahead and just pop in the oven in the morning.

kristleful
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
My dad used to make us Christmas breakfast just like his Grandma used to make:

Sliced ham, fried in the skillet
English muffins, toasted, buttered, and covered with thawed strawberries and whipped cream

I'm telling you, the english muffins are to die for! If you get a plastic container of frozen strawberries and let them thaw out, then when you spoon them onto the hot buttered English muffins, the juice from the strawberries will soak into the muffin. Mmm, mmm, I can't wait!:christmasdinner:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2011, 04:27 PM
I was just reading a Christmas magazine and theyhad several recipes for Christmas breakfast casseroles. They sounded great. One was a french toast casserole and the other was a turkey sausage casserole. You can prepare them a day ahead and just pop in the oven in the morning.

That sounds easy like my Christmas morning menu. Oven-baked eggnog French toast, sausages, and sauteed apple wedges(red, green and yellow for color).

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2011, 04:29 PM
My dad used to make us Christmas breakfast just like his Grandma used to make:

Sliced ham, fried in the skillet
English muffins, toasted, buttered, and covered with thawed strawberries and whipped cream

I'm telling you, the english muffins are to die for! If you get a plastic container of frozen strawberries and let them thaw out, then when you spoon them onto the hot buttered English muffins, the juice from the strawberries will soak into the muffin. Mmm, mmm, I can't wait!:christmasdinner:

Sounds delicious!

Papa_Christmas
10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Toasted egg cups and lil smokies :elf3:

celticfemale
11-07-2011, 07:40 AM
Things were different in my house growing up... I was raised Interfaith and we also celebrated Chanukkah so we would have Lox (Smoked Salmon) , Bagels and cream cheese with tomato and onion! It was so yummy! My mouth is watering just thinking about it now!

Not Long Until Christmas
11-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I like to have toast with smoked salmon and scrambled egg - see's me through until late lunch and it's a treat with the smoked salmon.

Kelbagdon
12-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Oven Baked Egg Nog French Toast sounds great! I think I might try that recipe Christmas morning. Thanks Marshmallow World!:tree:

Merry Christmas Darling
12-09-2011, 03:44 AM
Oven Baked Egg Nog French Toast sounds great! I think I might try that recipe Christmas morning. Thanks Marshmallow World!:tree:

You're very welcome! Our son serves us Christmas breakfast at his place and keeps the Oven Baked Egg Nog French Toast tradition alive.

ChantelleJoy
12-09-2011, 05:00 AM

This was a (minor) plot point in The Family Stone! It's called a Breakfast Strata (http://www.google.ca/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=Christmas%20Morning%20Breakfast%20strata) (that link will take you to the google results, and the top page is 34 different Christmas Breakfast Strata recipies!)

Sounds YUM YUM!

no_1_christmas_fan
12-17-2011, 06:24 AM
I have pate on toast and bucks fizz for my breakfast. You can't beat a nice light meal before the main lunch.

ChristmasLover!
12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Pancakes!

mina553
12-23-2011, 11:39 AM
THIS YEAR were having pancakes in shape of christmas threes ^& french toast
pastells bacon sausages & devilm eggs

Duffy
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Christmas is my favorite day of the year, and Christmas morning is my fav time of the day! What can be better than having nice breakfast with your family and kids, all excited and relaxed? We always have pancakes with blueberry icing, hot chocolate, waffles and cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast.

Snowman
08-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Tea and toast,but I always end up eating a few other "nibbles" before lunch:elf1:

hazelnut
08-08-2012, 07:16 PM
I dont know if this has been posted but this cake is quite dense and eggy, a perfect pudding or anytime snack.
Its nice toasted under the grill too

Ive only made it the normal way but am soon going to add the cinnamon etc to give it a festive feel.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/spruced-up-vanilla-cake

MinnesotaMike
08-09-2012, 04:51 AM
I always love when old threads get resurrected. It's like reading new stuff all over again. Plus, I always have to verify whether or not I already answered the question!!!

Mazzy
08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
We alternate between bacon sandwiches and pancakes. We dont have a big breakfast but a HUGE dinner. :christmasdinner:

Im_Santas_ho_ho_ho
08-26-2012, 09:57 PM
We always have glazed cinnamon twists with our morning coffee :-)

King Rick
10-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Breakfast always used to be eggs and pancakes with tasty hot beverages. This year I think we're planning on french toast, cinnamon rolls, and a few other things. I may take some of your ideas and add them in, they all sound so delicious :)

storm85
10-23-2012, 12:22 AM
We usually have a massive fry up.

Eggs, bacon, steak, sausages, chipolatas, mushrooms, baked beans, tomatoes, toast, english muffins, juices and sometimes pancakes all done on the BBQ

ornamentmaven
10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
We usually have quiche, fruit salad and maybe nut bread with creme cheese while opening the presents

MinnesotaMike
10-23-2012, 04:09 PM
We open stocking presents. Then we make cinnamon rolls. Then we move to the presents under the tree. Nothing huge, just a little tide-me-over until after presents when we drive to my in-laws to celebrate & have a big meal there.

Still this....

DreamSanta
11-22-2012, 12:15 PM
ham and biscuits

ldiliberto
12-18-2012, 06:41 PM
We always make a massive breakfast with everything from eggs, bacon, buscuits and gravy and even cookies!

michelmas
12-18-2012, 09:24 PM
We always make a massive breakfast with everything from eggs, bacon, buscuits and gravy and even cookies!
If they are 'Rice Krispie' cookies then I would consider them 'cereal'.

Shanniclause
12-19-2012, 02:34 AM
Reading this thread has made me hungry. My fiancee and I are trying to think of the perfect Christmas morning breakfast.

I have my son for Christmas Eve morning, so we are doing gingerbread man shaped pancakes with sausage links and maybe some OJ.

frostythesnowman
02-16-2013, 10:20 AM
we always have a big breakfast on christmas morning....sausage,bacon,eggs,mushrooms,potato scone,hash browns,beans......:snowman:

Merry Christmas Darling
04-01-2013, 12:20 AM
We usually have quiche, fruit salad and maybe nut bread with creme cheese while opening the presents

This sounds WONDERFUL, OM!

sharjeel
04-11-2013, 01:46 PM
we always made some special dishes on that and we love to eat,mostly breakfast is like a comon days

JollyElfDC
06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
If you are a parent that doesn't normally buy those sugary cereals, I just heard a really cool idea. Santa leaves individual containers of (sugary) cereal in a child's stocking or under the tree. It's a special Christmas morning treat for the child, and very easy for the parent. :elf3:

Mistletoe
12-19-2021, 12:30 AM
no I don't think we have,but we definitely eat cookies with other things:santa:
:santahat: I can relate.
Eggs, bacon and sausage are made, but I rarely have any. I start eating from my stocking right away and I'm afraid there's just no room/desire. :gelf:

Elf_Erv
10-02-2023, 08:05 PM
pumpkin spice pancakes this year :yahoo: