PDA

View Full Version : "A Christmas Carol"

M.W.
10-28-2008, 06:25 PM
There are so many versions of "A Christmas Carol", it is difficult to pick a favorite.

I've always loved George C. Scott's version from 1984. It is imperative we watch it every year (probably twice). Scott was fabulous as Scrooge. The Ghost of Christmas Present was amazingly powerful. And all in all, I would have to say Frank Finlay's portrayal of Bob Cratchit is the one all the rest should now be measured by.

But lately it seems the 1951 version with Alastair Sim is taking over the 1984 version as far as 'best' goes, in my opinion. There is just something about the '51 version that gives it a sense of realism that makes it hard to beat. Last year I ordered the new DVD package of the '51 version, and it is magnificent. Both the black and white and color versions are provided. Strangely, it is the BW version I enjoy most. The 1935 Hick's version is added as a bonus. This is a highly-recommended DVD set for any fan of "A Christmas Carol".

And, of course, "The Muppet's Christmas Carol" is a 'must see' at our house every holiday season. I'm sure even Charles Dickens would approve of puppets doing such a fine job with his timeless tale.

Does anyone have a favorite version of "A Christmas Carol"?

onemagicalchristmas
10-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I like the movie but not sure what version is on tv each year. I want to order a copy of it. I like tha older versions of most of the classics. :santa1:

PumpkinJack81
10-28-2008, 07:45 PM
I love A Muppet Christmas Carol and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's been so long since I've seen either of the non-Disney ones that I can't remember which one I prefer. I do remember watching the 1951 version in school after we read A Christmas Carol.

noelglori
10-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Several years ago I got my husband "A Christmas Carol" dvd, the Alistair Sim version and we love it.
I just watched the colorized version yesterday and I'm so glad I bought this version.

i luv christmas best
10-31-2008, 04:04 PM
I love A Muppet Christmas Carol and even Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's been so long since I've seen either of the non-Disney ones that I can't remember which one I prefer. I do remember watching the 1951 version in school after we read A Christmas Carol.

I LOVE Mickeys Christmas Carol!!!!:carols:

PumpkinJack81
11-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I LOVE Mickeys Christmas Carol!!!!:carols:

It's a great one! :D

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y90/pinkfloyd1973/myspace/godblessus2.png

onemagicalchristmas
11-11-2008, 12:03 AM
I want to see Barbie in A CHristmas Carol! It looks good!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Several years ago I got my husband "A Christmas Carol" dvd, the Alistair Sim version and we love it.
I just watched the colorized version yesterday and I'm so glad I bought this version.

I think I have the black and white version, but I gave my VHS away and this is on DVD. We haven't watched it yet. We also have the George C. Scott version from 1984.

JollyElfDC
11-11-2008, 06:10 AM
I've never seen it, but several people have told me they love Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol. I have it on my wish list at Amazon, (where it also got raves), but I'm still on the fence about buying it. When I was younger, I remembered loving The Ritch Little version. He played all the parts and it was a comedy. WC Feilds was on of the ghosts, and Edith Bunker was Mrs. Cratchet. I haven't seen it in years, and I don't know how well it holds up. It's also on my Amazon wish list, but it seemed a bit pricey. I'm hoping the price comes down.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Oh, yeah...I forgot that I bought Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol a short time ago. I haven't watched it yet. I may have seen it when it first came out, but I don't remember everything I watched back then.

JollyElfDC
11-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh, yeah...I forgot that I bought Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol a short time ago. I haven't watched it yet. I may have seen it when it first came out, but I don't remember everything I watched back then.

I'd like to hear your opinion after you watch it. I have a feeling I'm going to give in and purchase it. The temptation/curiosity is getting to be to much for me.

ladyice
11-11-2008, 03:48 PM
I love the Alastair Sim version, it's my all time favorite.

gogopanda
12-24-2008, 02:48 AM
I wasn't aware that there were so many versions of the film. Which version is this one? www.mymoviemoment.com

You can click preview scene and then upload a photo into it to be inserted into the film clip if you want, but mainly I just want to know. That's the only version I've seen, other than a holiday play =]

olga
06-20-2009, 04:27 PM
''The Muppet Christmas Carol'' . I adore that version. The Muppets are awesome and Michael Caine is by far the best choice for Scrooge.. :gelf:

I agree with you, about ''Christmas Carol'' of 1951 with A. Sim.

I also like the movie with Albert Finney as Scrooge (1970), actually I grew up with it!

I suggest the ''Blackadder's Christmas Carol'' (2004) with Mr. Bean. A different, funny version of the story. Try find that version !! :yahoo:

Finally,I love ''Mickey's Christmas Carol'' (1982).

:merrychristmas:

onemagicalchristmas
06-20-2009, 08:19 PM
:welcome: Olga thanks for the suggestion! Glad to have you !

Elvira1986
06-21-2009, 09:07 PM
I like Scrooged(the bill murray version.)

My favourite remains a muppet christmas carol.

olga
06-23-2009, 10:47 AM
What about the animating retelling of Dickens Christmas Carol?

It will be released on November 6. :snowman:

Did you see the Christmas Carol Train? Klik here (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/)and check it out..

Mary Angeldog
06-23-2009, 04:11 PM
My favorite is still the George C. Scott version. He is one of my favorite actors so I guess that's why I like his version the best!

JollyElfDC
06-23-2009, 09:43 PM
I did finally give in and buy the Mr. Magoo version. I still haven't watched it yet.

PumpkinJack81
06-23-2009, 10:24 PM

Did you see the Christmas Carol Train? Klik here (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour/)and check it out..

I can't wait for Disney's A Christmas Carol to open this fall! :santa: And the Christmas Carol Train Tour is coming to a city near me this October! :yahoo: We're already planning on taking our son.

Mistletoe
06-24-2009, 07:39 PM

How fun! Perhaps I will go see the train in NYC. This is the first I've heard about the new movie.

I can't say I have a favorite version as of yet, but I really like the story. I've been reading it the last few years and last year I saw the play. :snowman:

olga
06-30-2009, 06:23 AM
I think I 've seen all the versions of Christmas Carol. It's my favorite story!! :santa-smiley:

You can read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(2009_film)), about the movie. :candycane1:

You are so lucky that you 'll go and see the Christmas Carol train. I wish I could...

onemagicalchristmas
07-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Seeing the train would be awesomer. I wonder if it will stop in CHarlotte NC?

PumpkinJack81
07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Seeing the train would be awesomer. I wonder if it will stop in CHarlotte NC?

It's not going to be in Charlotte Bobbi, but it will be in Spencer, NC October 9-11. We're taking our son and can't wait bc it's his b-day weekend! :D

Read more here: http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/christmascaroltraintour

onemagicalchristmas
07-04-2009, 10:08 PM
where is Spencer NC at? Never heard of it

Mistletoe
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
I think I 've seen all the versions of Christmas Carol. It's my favorite story!! :santa-smiley:

You can read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_(2009_film)), about the movie. :candycane1:

You are so lucky that you 'll go and see the Christmas Carol train. I wish I could...

Where's the nearest Disney park to you?

olga
07-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Hi Mistletoe

France, I'm afraid.. :mad:

PumpkinJack81
07-09-2009, 08:00 PM
where is Spencer NC at? Never heard of it

Here's a Google Map of it:
http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4GZEZ_en-GBUS286US286&q=spencer,+nc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=QlhWSrDxLI6Jtge32fDNAg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1

MacShirts
08-09-2009, 09:54 AM
I agree, the new version looks good. I will prob take my little niece to see it :santahat:

Christmasplease
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
I really like the original. It should be interesting the see Jim Carrey's version. I hope it's not too over the top.

gummgirl
08-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Wow I feel like the minority here!
Sadly the only versions of A Christmas Carol that I have seen are :
A Flintstones Christmas Carol and
Barbie in a Christmas Carol
Yes 2 animated versions!
Maybe someday I'll see the other versions.

MacShirts
08-11-2009, 07:47 AM
I've never fully watched the movie either :-/ but I know the story and I plan on watching the new CGI one :)

ikey2
08-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I really can't wait for the CGI movie since their has not been any version on this story i have not liked.

So on that note I have a quick question for everyone.

Has anyone ever listened the the double CD set of Patrick Stewart reading of a Christmas story? I listen to it all the time and have for years no matter what month I pop it in for a listen.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey that's cool, I haven't heard it but I'm sort of a fan of patrick's, I might see if I can pick it up on ebay or something ;)

ikey2
08-15-2009, 11:06 AM
Hey that's cool, I haven't heard it but I'm sort of a fan of patrick's, I might see if I can pick it up on ebay or something ;)

It is a definitely great buy. He just has that powerful voice and it works so well with the story. Every time it starts and he says "Marley was dead, to begin with" I get excited and gets some Christmas bumps. I call goose bumps, Christmas bumps if i get them when its happens due to something with Christmas.:dance:

MacShirts
08-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Yeah thats for sure, his voice is very distinctive. What is the official name of the CD? I cant seem to bring anything up :/

ikey2
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah thats for sure, his voice is very distinctive. What is the official name of the CD? I cant seem to bring anything up :/

A Christmas Carol (Reissue) [ABRIDGED] [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carol-Reissue-Charles-Dickens/dp/0671793829

tinkerbell2
08-21-2009, 02:52 PM
My ultimate fav movie is Fallen Angel but we will watch anything to do

with christmas:santa-smiley:

we are itching to start now but i think it's a bit early:sad elf:

yvette

Christmasplease
08-21-2009, 04:25 PM
My ultimate fav movie is Fallen Angel but we will watch anything to do

with christmas:santa-smiley:

we are itching to start now but i think it's a bit early:sad elf:

yvette

I can't wait for something Christmassy to come on TV.:dance:

tinkerbell2
08-21-2009, 04:43 PM
we are a bit sneeky got most on dvd ready for dec 1st:yahoo:

then wait four days then can start putting tree up:dance:

getting excited now

yvette

Mistletoe
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM
Has anyone ever listened the the double CD set of Patrick Stewart reading of a Christmas story?

No, but I agree that he's got the perfect voice for it!

olga
08-22-2009, 08:17 PM
Has anyone ever listened the the double CD set of Patrick Stewart reading of a Christmas story? I listen to it all the time and have for years no matter what month I pop it in for a listen.

I listened to it at the end of July, at work !!! :gelf:
Patric Stewart at his finest!!

olga
09-11-2009, 09:47 AM
You can click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV7SwUmSuvc) to see 20'' of Christmas Carol, directed by Robert Zemeckis.

On 6 November in cinemas!!!! :candycane1::candycane1::candycane1:

Christmasplease
09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
You can click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV7SwUmSuvc) to see 20'' of Christmas Carol, directed by Robert Zemeckis.

Thanks olga!:merrychristmas:

tinkerbell2
09-11-2009, 01:22 PM

looks really good!!!:santa-smiley::santa-smiley:

Kittyskyfish
09-13-2009, 01:11 AM
Oh I hope, I really hope that Jim Carrey doesn't tear this one up like he did the Grinch. *BLECK* Sorry to Carrey-Grinch fans out there, but his humor is lost on me. I like it when he sticks to acting.

Oh, I love A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim and Bill Murray's Scrooged! :gelf:

tinkerbell2
09-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Oh I hope, I really hope that Jim Carrey doesn't tear this one up like he did the Grinch. *BLECK* Sorry to Carrey-Grinch fans out there, but his humor is lost on me. I like it when he sticks to acting.

Oh, I love A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim and Bill Murray's Scrooged! :gelf:

agree with you there!!! Jim Carrey not the best, and i didn't like the Grinch at all.

we bought A Christmas Carol with George C Scott to watch every year!

olga
09-13-2009, 01:24 PM
I do not like Jim Carey at all. But watching the 20'' trailer, I think he's quite good as Ebenezer Scrooge!!!
:waving:

Kittyskyfish
09-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I do not like Jim Carey at all. But watching the 20'' trailer, I think he's quite good as Ebenezer Scrooge!!!
:waving:

Hi Olga! I saw the :20 clip and it's really interesting! Carrey can definitely act and I hope that's what he's restricted to in this film, because Zemeckis is aiming for a traditional telling of A Christmas Carol. Wry humor, yes. Hyper potty humor, nonono.

Of course I sound strange criticizing Carrey's Grinch when I like Murray's Scrooged, but the creators of Scrooged had the good sense to pull the story into the 20th century so that Murray's bizarre sense of humor fit the story backdrop. It would have been an Epic FAIL if Murray's humor was presented in a classic Dickens' setting.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this one! :singing:

olga
09-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Olga! I saw the :20 clip and it's really interesting! Carrey can definitely act and I hope that's what he's restricted to in this film, because Zemeckis is aiming for a traditional telling of A Christmas Carol. Wry humor, yes. Hyper potty humor, nonono.

Of course I sound strange criticizing Carrey's Grinch when I like Murray's Scrooged, but the creators of Scrooged had the good sense to pull the story into the 20th century so that Murray's bizarre sense of humor fit the story backdrop. It would have been an Epic FAIL if Murray's humor was presented in a classic Dickens' setting.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for this one! :singing:

You know, I've grown up with The Christmas Carol, Im crazy about Dickens and his books and this one is my favorite!! I've seen almost every version of the story and Im very demanding on this one...

Watching the teaser trailer, I think that Carrey is good my friend!

Do you think he's changed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiKOJOXMJU)? (Just like Scrooge!!) :candycane1:
(watch the video...)

ikey2
09-14-2009, 09:54 AM
I listened to it at the end of July, at work !!! :gelf:
Patric Stewart at his finest!!

Glad to hear you liked it.

Kittyskyfish
09-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Do you think he's changed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsiKOJOXMJU)? (Just like Scrooge!!) :candycane1:
(watch the video...)

Oooh! I haven't seen this version! That's really cute! I'll set my DVR to look for this! :rudolph:

olga
09-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Oooh! I haven't seen this version! That's really cute! I'll set my DVR to look for this! :rudolph:

A Muppet Christmas Carol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhjTHlui2ws)

Please, watch it!! Its gonna be your favorite one! :presents2:

ikey2
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM

WOW!@!!!! my mouth just hit the floor. I am suprised you have not seen this movie it is wonderful.

Kittyskyfish
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
WOW!@!!!! my mouth just hit the floor. I am suprised you have not seen this movie it is wonderful.

I know, so bad and so sheltered a life....lol!

ikey2
09-14-2009, 11:57 AM

I know, so bad and so sheltered a life....lol!

Reckon, I need to drive down and help you experince all the missing stuff you have missed over the years.

Kittyskyfish
09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Reckon, I need to drive down and help you experince all the missing stuff you have missed over the years.

I'm sure the list is quite long! DH isn't quite so enthusiastic about watching 'off the beaten path' programming. lol!

ikey2
09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm sure the list is quite long! DH isn't quite so enthusiastic about watching 'off the beaten path' programming. lol!

Well then ill need to do my homework and find you some great stuff this year.

olga
09-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Remember this scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxMbIzKl5rM), Ike? Just go to 09:54..

God, I love it!!!

olga
09-25-2009, 07:42 AM
Here is the official trailer of ''Christmas Carol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Carol_%282009_film%29)'', directed by R. Zemeckis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3lr3urgDU

Its funny, in my country, the movie is released on 24th of December..

:gelf::gelf::gelf:

onemagicalchristmas
09-25-2009, 10:13 AM
very good I want to see it. I just love Jim Carrey! It looks awesome!

stacyk9
10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
This is my absolute, all time favorite Christmas movie and novel. My favorite version has to be the one with George C. Scott. It is a must-watch every year! Of course, the season doesn't go by without watch the Muppets' version as well. Gonzo and Rizzo are great!!!

ikey2
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
This is my absolute, all time favorite Christmas movie and novel. My favorite version has to be the one with George C. Scott. It is a must-watch every year! Of course, the season doesn't go by without watch the Muppets' version as well. Gonzo and Rizzo are great!!!

The George C. Scott is also one of my fav versions as well. I think the one i like best is the one with Alastair Sim from the 50's.

As much as i love the story and ever previous version made, I am not to sure how well Jim Carry can do Scrooge. He to me is more of a comedic actor and feel that a more dramatic actor should have done it. OF course they end of the day i will go see it in the theaters and buy it on DVD no mater what.

ChristmasFanatic
10-01-2009, 03:58 PM
My favorite version was always the 1951 version, starring Alistair Sim as Scrooge, but several years back, I picked up the DVD for the 1938 version of the film and that has quickly become my favorite, live-action version of the film. I love the 1984 version starring George C Scott, too. I know the 1938 version seems quite condensed, as it does have a short running time, but it's just a lot of fun, I think. I love Gene Lockhart as Bob Crachit, the facial expressions are hilarious.

As far as animated versions, I also love The Flintstone's Christmas Carol, Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol and of course, Mickey's Christmas Carol.

ikey2
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
My favorite version was always the 1951 version, starring Alistair Sim as Scrooge, but several years back, I picked up the DVD for the 1938 version of the film and that has quickly become my favorite, live-action version of the film. I love the 1984 version starring George C Scott, too. I know the 1938 version seems quite condensed, as it does have a short running time, but it's just a lot of fun, I think. I love Gene Lockhart as Bob Crachit, the facial expressions are hilarious.

As far as animated versions, I also love The Flintstone's Christmas Carol, Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol and of course, Mickey's Christmas Carol.

Another fan of Alistair that's great. Btw since you listed those animated one U need to find the one that Tim Curry did. I think he nailed the voice down pat.

stacyk9
10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I forgot about the Flintstone's version. That one is good, too. Heck, I'll take any version of "A Christmas Carol". I saw it live at the Fox Theater in St. Louis a couple years ago. Absolutely fantastic!!! It's coming back this year, but we're going to see White Christmas instead this time around.

ikey2
10-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Down the road from me every year they do a dickens of christmas downtown,

Dickens of a Christmas in Downtown Franklin, TN

Step into the pages of Charles Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol, with the annual Dickens of a Christmas celebration in Franklin (http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/pointsOfInterest/FranklinASuburbofNashvilleTN.cfm). The town is transformed into a Victorian city during the holiday season as special performers, artists and carolers fill the streets in what has frequently been named one of the regions Top 20 events by the Southeast Tourism Society.
You'll be enchanted by the clatter of horse hooves and the melodic voices of Victorian carolers as they parade up and down the quaint streets of the city. Live performances, artists and street performers will ensure there is a never a dull moment. The complete lineup of events will be posted around town during the weekend to make sure that you don't miss a thing at the annual Dickens of a Christmas!

When:

December 12, 2009 - December 13, 2009

Points of Interest

Franklin: A Suburb of Nashville, TN (http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/pointsOfInterest/FranklinASuburbofNashvilleTN.cfm)

Franklin, Tennessee, is a historic town known for its many antique stores, picturesque downtown area, and friendly, small town atmosphere.

Shanniclause
10-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Step into the pages of Charles Dickens' classic, A Christmas Carol, with the annual Dickens of a Christmas celebration in Franklin (http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/pointsOfInterest/FranklinASuburbofNashvilleTN.cfm). The town is transformed into a Victorian city during the holiday season as special performers, artists and carolers fill the streets in what has frequently been named one of the regions Top 20 events by the Southeast Tourism Society.
You'll be enchanted by the clatter of horse hooves and the melodic voices of Victorian carolers as they parade up and down the quaint streets of the city. Live performances, artists and street performers will ensure there is a never a dull moment. The complete lineup of events will be posted around town during the weekend to make sure that you don't miss a thing at the annual Dickens of a Christmas!

When:

Points of Interest

Franklin: A Suburb of Nashville, TN (http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/NashvilleTN/pointsOfInterest/FranklinASuburbofNashvilleTN.cfm)

Franklin, Tennessee, is a historic town known for its many antique stores, picturesque downtown area, and friendly, small town atmosphere.

Ikey, I think I may have to make the 2 1/2 trip down there for this event this year. Sounds pretty awesome. :merrychristmas:

ikey2
10-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Ikey, I think I may have to make the 2 1/2 trip down there for this event this year. Sounds pretty awesome. :merrychristmas:

Aye, its a great time there.... Also if your lucky your might even bump in to ole scrooge himself.

http://www.tnvacation.com/images/vendors/resized/events/2008/Nov/_tmp_jpgz2rdfk.jpg

ChristmasFanatic
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
That looks awesome, ikey2. I will also have to look into more Christmas Carol versions. Thanks for the heads-up on the Tim Curry version.

olga
10-07-2009, 04:54 PM

When:

Points of Interest

I love so much Dickens, Ive read almost every book he has written, actually Im a huge admirer of him.. wish I could be there...

olga
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Lets also remember the musical (Scrooge -1971) with Albert Finney as Ebenezer Scrooge!
Did you know that this version was nominated for 4 Oscar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPV4vSA65YM

Home alone 2
05-10-2010, 11:14 PM
Lets also remember the musical (Scrooge -1971) with Albert Finney as Ebenezer Scrooge!
Did you know that this version was nominated for 4 Oscar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPV4vSA65YM

"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation" :sad elf:

I really hate you tube sometimes.

olga
05-11-2010, 12:51 AM
"This video has been removed due to terms of use violation" :sad elf:

I really hate you tube sometimes.

Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZdWrfDX2pQ&feature=related)one...

Elf_Erv
05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Mine is the 1951 version with Alastair Sim, he played the part very well. Not a fan of the colorized version though, its much more effective in original form.

olga
05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Agree, one of the finest adaptations of Dickens story. :elf3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpbthuKFuFA