PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Memories

PumpkinJack81
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
What are some of your favorite childhood Christmas memories? What childhood memories will you never forget?

PumpkinJack81
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I will always remember Christmas morning growing up... I am the oldest of three and every year on Christmas morning we kids would wake up and wake up my parents so we could go see our gifts from Santa. My dad would go downstairs first with his video camera and then we would go down youngest to oldest with mom following behind. I can still see us walking down the steps and going over to our gifts from Santa. He would always leave them out on the couch/floor for us and the gifts would be divided into our own sections. We would usually check out our gifts first and then see what goodies were left in our stockings. :D

Noel
11-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I will always remember Christmas morning growing up... I am the oldest of three and every year on Christmas morning we kids would wake up and wake up my parents so we could go see our gifts from Santa. My dad would go downstairs first with his video camera and then we would go down youngest to oldest with mom following behind. I can still see us walking down the steps and going over to our gifts from Santa. He would always leave them out on the couch/floor for us and the gifts would be divided into our own sections. We would usually check out our gifts first and then see what goodies were left in our stockings. :D

When I was a child, there was a man who sold Xmas trees just in front of my primary school. About 10 days before Xmas, my parents and I used to buy one. I remember how impatient I was, waiting for this day. And I'll never forget the odor of the tree, while we were walking back home !:kinky elf:

PumpkinJack81
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
And I'll never forget the odor of the tree, while we were walking back home !:kinky elf:

I love the smell of a fresh Christmas tree! :tree:

UrbanXMas
11-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I've so many memories. I grew up in the suburbs of NYC. We always decorated outside with lights. I remember going into the city every Christmas Eve and seeing the trees wrapped in lights, ice skating, etc. But back then, NYC was a dark, dangerous place. I'm proud to say that it's safer, brighter and more beautiful now.

Now I'm living in the place I visioned in my dreams. :my lord:

karanmi
03-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Childhood memories. boy where to start. I think some of the best of them were from the early 50's when my maternal Grandparents were still living. I loved going to Grandma and Grandpas . We always bundled up and went out in the snow up to our knees to lok for the perfect Christmas Tree. They had over 200 acrea and lots of trees. One year I was insistant on an old Cedar Tree. Grandpa and Grandma cut it down and we dragged it to the house on a big sled. We came in and Grandma fixed a huge pan of cocoa. None of the instant stuff but god old fashioned cocoa made with unpasturized millk. lots of cocoa and marshmallows on top. This old cedar tree all decorated to me was the most beautiful tree I had ever seen. I helped place all the beautiful glass ornaments on the tree after Grandpa had strung on the lights. Bubble lights galor on that old tree. To this day I love bubble lights and was so glad when they made a comback. And then the final touch. Grandpa would lift me up to place the most breautiful angel on the most top branch of the tree. There it stood with me looking on in awe.

Grandma and my mom and I loved a cookie baking day. Even my little sisters were allowed to decoarte a few cookies though they ate more than they decorated.

Christmas Eve would arrive and we always stayed there. Stocking were hung on the mantel and the cookies and milk left for Santa. Though I never could figure out how Santa would find me there he always found my sisters and I. We would be up early on Christmas Morning and would find the gifts piled high under the tree. Oh what fun we had.

One year Grandma always had the whole family for Christmas.The following year we all would trravel 8 miles to Grandmas Sisters home. The meal they both put on. Turkey and all the trimmings, pies and all the goodies anyone could ever want.

After dinner the men always would go to the parlor and watch TV and play cards. All my cousins and I would bundle up and go sleding or out to build a snowman or two. The women would have a fun craft they would do in the kitchen. Them late evening it was Sandwiches and more goodies. No one ever went home hungry.

I lost my Grandpa when I was just 10 and Grandma when I was 16. Boy those first few Christmas after just never seemed the same. My Aunt passed away just a few years ago at the age of 90 but whenever we got together we always shared the memories of all those years ago.

I treasure them and am now trying to make pleasant memories for my Grandkids just like Grandma and Grandpa did all those years ago..

PumpkinJack81
03-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi karanmi and welcome to the forums! :waving:

Thanks for posting so much already and keeping the threads active. :D I hope you continue to enjoy your time here with us and I look forward to hearing more about your Christmas traditions... :tree:

Happy Holidays!
PumpkinJack81
AllThingsChristmas Staff

persimmonpudding
07-12-2008, 04:44 PM
I spent my first 5 Christmases in Germany. I remember being fascinated by the hand-crafted store displays, some animated, some not (but all were fantastic). Also, a very stern St. Nicholas on Dec 5!!! A much more jolly Santa Claus the rest of December.

I remember:

my little brother, the first few seasons he was mobile, walking up to glass balls and popping them in his hand while giggling (never let him near the shiny-brites!!!).

Santas that didn't look like they came fresh out of a dollar-store bag (not to be negative...just noticing).

Making cookies with mom...something I still do.

Decorating the tree and marveling at the finished work lit up in all its glory.

Tinsel!!!...before it was mylar...

Knee-hugger elves

Goin out in the knee-deep snow with grandpa to cut a tree.

(later) My Grandma had a couple of fake trees she used to break out...you never knew if you were getting the green one or the aluminum one...WITH COLORWHEEL! <grin> I liked it either way.

family stories

going to grandma and grandpas...grandpa was a hunter and holiday meals saw venison, wild turkey, squirrel, ham, and real stuffing...all of which I no longer eat. On the non-meat food side, we still eat baked cheese grits, all the normal sides, real cranberry relishes, pies, pies, pies, biscuits in the morning with various spreads, jams, and jellies we helper her process all summer, and more!

Coming back home for our home Christmas.

Anonymous gift-giving to non-family, strangers, buying groceries for people we didn't know, and dropping surprises on all kinds of folks...usually we secreted away, sometimes we got to watch from a distance.

noelglori
10-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Getting the Christmas tree on Christmas eve and waiting patiently while my Dad put it in a bucket filled with stones and hopefully it stood upright, if it didn't my dad would get the hammer, nail and some string and it was attached to the wall to keep it from falling down.

Also, the Christmas my dad got some free decorations and he decked out our living room. I thought it was beautiful as a child but now I know it bordered on being a little "tacky" but I didn't care for in my child mind I thought it was wonderful.

Also the week of Christmas was filled with friends and family coming everynight, we always had company and I love watching the old home movies and seeing those dear people no longer with us.

PumpkinJack81
10-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Getting the Christmas tree on Christmas eve and waiting patiently while my Dad put it in a bucket filled with stones and hopefully it stood upright, if it didn't my dad would get the hammer, nail and some string and it was attached to the wall to keep it from falling down.

Also, the Christmas my dad got some free decorations and he decked out our living room. I thought it was beautiful as a child but now I know it bordered on being a little "tacky" but I didn't care for in my child mind I thought it was wonderful.

Also the week of Christmas was filled with friends and family coming everynight, we always had company and I love watching the old home movies and seeing those dear people no longer with us.

Thanks for sharing those memories with us noelglori! :D And welcome to the forums!!!! :waving:

leahrosa
10-15-2008, 01:26 PM
one of the fondest christmas memories i could not forget was when i was still in my elementary years. i would then gather all our neighbors and then we go from house to house and sing carols and were being "paid" hehehehe and the money we have collected we will buy candies and then would treat ourselves..herhehe such very childish acts..hehehehe and then another thing my grandma and grandpa from the province and all my cousins will visit us on the 25th and then all of us (my siblings) would then sort out our cabinets and then give to them all the clothes we no longer can use, this is how our parents trains us on sharing.. i know we were little kids way back then but to now we still practice these things, coz though how small or useless some things are for you, u will be amaze how important and usefull these are to other people... :)

PumpkinJack81
10-15-2008, 03:18 PM
one of the fondest christmas memories i could not forget was when i was still in my elementary years. i would then gather all our neighbors and then we go from house to house and sing carols and were being "paid" hehehehe and the money we have collected we will buy candies and then would treat ourselves..herhehe such very childish acts..hehehehe and then another thing my grandma and grandpa from the province and all my cousins will visit us on the 25th and then all of us (my siblings) would then sort out our cabinets and then give to them all the clothes we no longer can use, this is how our parents trains us on sharing.. i know we were little kids way back then but to now we still practice these things, coz though how small or useless some things are for you, u will be amaze how important and usefull these are to other people... :)

I like the idea of cleaning out old clothes and giving them to relatives or the needy...What a wonderful way to learn sharing and giving to others. :smiling angel:

leahrosa
10-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I like the idea of cleaning out old clothes and giving them to relatives or the needy...What a wonderful way to learn sharing and giving to others. :smiling angel:

yes bob, it is indeed wonderful, fulfilling not only we get to clean our closts but we have made others smile and have our old things put back to use

Merry Christmas Darling
10-18-2008, 06:08 AM
That's awesome, leahrosa!

Ms_Speedy_Elf
10-18-2008, 01:28 PM
I remember that I was usually always the first one up .I'd go down to see if Santa had came yet and if so I'd run back up stair's to wake my brother.

We had one of the aluminum tree's and the color wheel.

I also remember decorating the entire house with paper chain's .

leahrosa
10-23-2008, 09:38 AM
That's awesome, leahrosa!

thank you Marshmallow world :)

M.W.
10-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Karanmi has it right: where to start??

I suppose the most vivid memory is that feeling on Christmas morning. The anticipation was excruciating, but in a a wonderfully-positive way. What other holiday can do that? Which one even comes close?

The anticipation of Christmas arriving was great, also. The weeks leading up to Christmas were wonderful. Those wonderful Christmas TV specials and cartoons. The highlight was when "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "Rudolph" came on; that put me on warp ten as far as excitement for the season goes.

The Bob Hope Christmas specials were interesting to me. It was fun to watch an adult's take on Christmas. I still clearly remember Bing Crosby's last specials in the mid-seventies. He did such a wonderful job at combining the secular and religious aspects of Christmas.

Christmas Eve was amazing. The excitement and fun was off the emotional Richter Scale. We would have family over, and open presents from my mom's side of the family. Christmas Day was spent with my dad's side of the family. And while there were no children our age (there were many on mom's side), still it was special to be around them, and experience Christmas from a different angle, I guess you could say.

Even today, with a thumbprint cookie in hand, and the smell of a Christmas tree nearby, I still get that 'feeling' in the pit of my stomach, though for obviously different reasons.

The world seemed (seems) magical for one month.

leahrosa
10-27-2008, 10:36 AM

yes i completely agree adn for me, its not only for a month 3 months maybe, but real excitement really draws after Nov 30

PumpkinJack81
10-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Karanmi has it right: where to start??

I suppose the most vivid memory is that feeling on Christmas morning. The anticipation was excruciating, but in a a wonderfully-positive way. What other holiday can do that? Which one even comes close?

The anticipation of Christmas arriving was great, also. The weeks leading up to Christmas were wonderful. Those wonderful Christmas TV specials and cartoons. The highlight was when "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and "Rudolph" came on; that put me on warp ten as far as excitement for the season goes.

The Bob Hope Christmas specials were interesting to me. It was fun to watch an adult's take on Christmas. I still clearly remember Bing Crosby's last specials in the mid-seventies. He did such a wonderful job at combining the secular and religious aspects of Christmas.

Christmas Eve was amazing. The excitement and fun was off the emotional Richter Scale. We would have family over, and open presents from my mom's side of the family. Christmas Day was spent with my dad's side of the family. And while there were no children our age (there were many on mom's side), still it was special to be around them, and experience Christmas from a different angle, I guess you could say.

Even today, with a thumbprint cookie in hand, and the smell of a Christmas tree nearby, I still get that 'feeling' in the pit of my stomach, though for obviously different reasons.

What wonderful memories to share! Thank you so much, and welcome to the forums! :waving:

M.W.
10-28-2008, 05:58 PM
What wonderful memories to share! Thank you so much, and welcome to the forums! :waving:

Thanks so much!

it's good to be around people who love Christmas, and understand it's so much more than a singular event.

onemagicalchristmas
10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
I could celebrate CHristmas every day! I am slowly adding more decorations to my house Day by Day so I can win over hubby with it all! BUt to me CHristmas is year round. I wish people would celebrate Christmas in JUly like the do The CHristmas time of year.:jumping:

PumpkinJack81
10-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much!

it's good to be around people who love Christmas, and understand it's so much more than a singular event.

Oh, I think we all understand that here! :smiling angel:

PumpkinJack81
10-28-2008, 07:49 PM
I could celebrate CHristmas every day! I am slowly adding more decorations to my house Day by Day so I can win over hubby with it all! BUt to me CHristmas is year round. I wish people would celebrate Christmas in JUly like the do The CHristmas time of year.:jumping:

Yeah, I try to get my wife to let us listen to Christmas music and watch Christmas movies in July but she doesn't always go for it, for fear of getting burned out on them before December. What an excuse! :pI still listened to my Elf CD this July and made sure to catch the Christmas in July specials on QVC and HSN. presents

kevinrosso
10-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I always loved bubble lights and still have them on my tree today. I found a great story about bubble lights on a santa loves christmas site. I always wondered how they worked and I just recently looked it up on the web and was surprised how simple it was.

onemagicalchristmas
10-29-2008, 08:02 PM
what are bubble lights? are they like the big bulb lights?

PumpkinJack81
10-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I always loved bubble lights and still have them on my tree today. I found a great story about bubble lights on a santa loves christmas site. I always wondered how they worked and I just recently looked it up on the web and was surprised how simple it was.

Hi Kevin! :waving:

Welcome to the forums! Bubble lights are fun! I remember my grandmother always had them on her tree each year...I would love to watch them start going when she would turn on the lights. :christmastree:You'll have to share that site with us; I'm sure others would find it interesting as well.

Hope to hear more from you soon,
Bob, Forum Moderator :santa1:

PumpkinJack81
10-30-2008, 12:33 PM
what are bubble lights? are they like the big bulb lights?

Bubble lights are the Christmas lights you put on your tree that have a liquid inside that bubbles when heated. Here's a photo:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/333231663_f42221a964.jpg?v=0

merry mary
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
one of my christmas memories , going to bed christmas eve with my older sister a torch and a clock , one of us allways watching the time so we didnt sleep too long , and could go and wake the parents nice and early usu::ally about two or three am and the plonkers got up,he he. merry christmas :jumping::waving:

charminggiftstore
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
One of my favorite memories was of my grandmother's snowing Christmas tree. I don't know where she got it from or how it was able to produce artificial snow, but I thought it was the most amazing thing. I would sit there for what seemed like hours, just staring at it.

Denise Wilson
Charming Gift Store
http://www.charminggiftstore.com
Great Gift Baskets For Every Occasion!

onemagicalchristmas
12-23-2008, 01:35 AM
I bet that was pretty. I remember having the musical chaser lights I don't know it they have them anymore. Ours played 18 songs. I loved them but that was 20 years ago

charminggiftstore
12-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, it was pretty. Too bad they don't make trees like that anymore 'cause I certainly would get one if they did.

Denise Wilson
Charming Gift Store
http://www.charminggiftstore.com
Great Gift Baskets For Every Occasion!

I_live_For_Paris
11-21-2009, 02:59 AM
The Christmas Memories that I remember the most is that I would go down stairs atleast 6 times a night just to see if Santa had came yet! And then when I saw the presents 5 am or not I would quickly wake up my siblings that Santa had came! We would sprint down the stairs and wake up my parents. After we would take turns opening presents and looking through our stockings!

markgbarba1987
11-29-2009, 09:11 PM
the one thing I wouldnt forget during christmas was when my Grandma would shower bunch and bunch of Coins that he saved for a whole year just to shower it to her grandsons during Christmas.. Now, that would not happen anymore, coz my Grandma is not here anymore.. *sighhh* :my lord:

savor
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm sure the coins were Christmas magic! I have to make a special effort to get in the spirit since both Mom and Dad have gone on.
There are several memories of having chicken pox and so did I during Christmas '59 <yikes> when I was 5 y.o. I was allowed out of bed long enough to unveil a big gift. It was a full drum set! Snare, bass and cymbals. I started banging on them long enough for a photo op. Then back to bed. Funny how this is my most memorable Christmas!

markgbarba1987
11-30-2009, 10:42 PM
opening gifts on the day of Christmas... weeee :presents1:

Elf_Erv
05-27-2010, 06:50 AM
my first recollection of being taken to see Santa, was at the shopping mall in my hometown, the mall was a very busy place in those days. I was placed on Santa's lap and I was scared crazy...I don't think I said a word. Santa mumbled some stuff, mom & dad took a picture. I was handed a mini candy cane and helped off his lap. I was ready to head home

:singing:

Caninemom3
05-27-2010, 08:24 AM
I remember when my parents made a recording for me on my dad's tape recorder or "reel to reel" as they were called of Santa talking to my mother on Christmas Eve. My dad was "suspiciously missing" from the recording. When I asked my mom where dad's voice was, she said......."Oh..well it evidently did not pick up your dad's voice....." I still have the recording somewhere. It was very special that they did that for me and I really miss both of them.

:carols:

Snowman
09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Oranges! For some reason the smell of oranges always reminds me of Christmas.I always used to have an apple,orange and some nuts in the bottom of my stocking.Just the smell of peeling an orange can take way back to my Christmas youth:snowman:

*Snowflake*
09-15-2010, 08:16 PM
every Christmas is special.I remember when I was younger how I used to wrote a letter to Santa and leave it behind the window:presents2:I wrote so many things,I think my parents were :eek:

ornamentmaven
09-15-2010, 10:34 PM
I remember being about 6 years old and looking down out my bedroom window at the snow on the eaves on Christmas morning. I was amazed to see the marks made by the runners of Santa's sleigh with little tiny hoof prints running right between them!!

Mary Angeldog
10-06-2010, 04:02 AM
I remember when I was 10 years old or so and didn't believe in Santa any longer my parents started taking me to midnight Mass. The church was candle lit and cozy and smelled like pine. I loved singing the carols and visiting the creche after Mass and greeting Baby Jesus. We would go home then and open presents and have snacks. The walk home from church was magical. It seemed that it was always snowing and I was excited anticipating my presents and how my parents would like their presents from me (carefully selected at the local 5 & 10--I guess that would be a Dollar Store now).Christmas day we had our Christmas roast and Yorkshire pudding then the neighbor kids would come over or I would go to visit them.

Elizah
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
The Christmas Memories that I remember the most is that I would go down stairs atleast 6 times a night just to see if Santa had came yet! And then when I saw the presents 5 am or not I would quickly wake up my siblings that Santa had came! We would sprint down the stairs and wake up my parents. After we would take turns opening presents and looking through our stockings!

I used to creep down many times a night as well! I loved sneaking out of my room and checking on the Christmas presents!

MinnesotaMike
11-02-2010, 03:50 AM
My grandpa died when I was 6. Every Christmas after that, my grandma stayed at our house on Christmas Eve to enjoy the holiday with us (so she wouldn't have to be alone). My biggest memory of all those years is simple: Every year, I would wake up early. No matter what time it was, she was already up, sitting in the kitchen, sipping on her coffee. I would sit with her, sip some morning cocoa, and wait for the rest of the family to wake. I'm a grown man, and thinking of that almost makes me cry. She passed away this past spring. Although those mornings are a distant memory, she will be missed this year more than I care to imagine.

christmasislove
06-20-2011, 08:56 PM
Every year we go over to my Me-Me's house a week or so before christmas and my moms side of the family (My mom has 4 brothers & sisters, my grandma has 3) gets together for christmas! My great aunt Pat always cooks huge bowls of soup & we all do the "Chinese auction" after the little ones open their gifts. It is always my favorite Christmas memory because it's when I really feel the Christmas spirit!!!:gelf: