PDA

View Full Version : Christmas as an Indian....should I celebrate?

Hanifa Dungarwalla
10-28-2008, 04:22 PM
As an Indian brought up in a western society - I have grown up with the idea of Christmas. We have always had a tree in our living room, always have roast turkey with all the trimmings and when I was younger we sometimes went to midnight mass. Yet when I talk to some members of my family they wonder why we follow these traditions - when Christmas is a Christian tradition.

I feel that Christmas - although a tradition that is wholly Christian, has adapted now to become a "family" related event. All of my family come together at Christmas and it is an excuse for us to see eachother. It brings about happiness.... and to be honest - isn't joy and happiness an underlying theme of Christmas? Does religion matter so much now or is it just as important as it always was?:christmastree:

onemagicalchristmas
10-28-2008, 06:42 PM
religion is important to some where as for some times others just rejoice in the family traditions relating to the holidays. For me it is a religious holiday as well as a time for togetherness and joy! I would say go ahead and celebrate as you did when you were a child. THere is nothing wrong with having the joy and happiness of being with ones families this time of year. :tree::christmastree:showing presents

luciagalliford04
11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
well my friend's family is from India and they all celebrate Christmas. Not to the extent as my family, but the do celebrate it. I dare say that if a western family moved to India or the middle-east they'd half-celebrate middle-eastern holidays

suzzane
11-13-2008, 12:51 PM
i do celebrate Christmas.. i grew up celebrating Christmas every year... n i feel that this is one of the best festivals...

divya
11-14-2008, 06:37 AM
Celebrating Christmas is fun...with frens and family all together... well being an Indian we celebrate many festivals and Christmas is also one of them... presents