PDA

View Full Version : Too early?

cromagx
09-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Is it wrong for me to decorate my house before Christmas? My family always has started around 1th november. Is that wrong?

joyfulheart
09-26-2007, 06:43 PM
We;ve always started around or right at Thanksgiving.

Depending on the weather, we will out up the outside lights early November, so we can turn on the outdoor lights as soon as Thanksgiving is over.

Xmasflora
10-04-2007, 09:51 AM
inside I have now some fall/autumn colour baubles in bowls around house end of november I replace those with red/green gold/red red/silver baubles in bowls and on dec 1 that is when I put up xmas decorations and the tree I wait until around mid dec since my heating system will dry out that xmastree so for it to be fresh for xmas must wait patiently.

bobbibrowneyes
10-08-2007, 07:04 PM
inside I have now some fall/autumn colour baubles in bowls around house end of november I replace those with red/green gold/red red/silver baubles in bowls and on dec 1 that is when I put up xmas decorations and the tree I wait until around mid dec since my heating system will dry out that xmastree so for it to be fresh for xmas must wait patiently.
I don't wait till after thanksgiving to put up my tree. I do it on Halloween and enjoy it for 2 months. I love having the spirit of Christmas in my house. I am already saving up money to buy gifts but next year I will start early with my shopping.I would think Nov 1 would be good for outside decorations

Oliver
10-10-2007, 05:53 AM
I'd say november is fine.

Normally I find its best to get all other festivities out of the way such as haloween, bonfire night and thnaksgiving.

Best Wishes
Oliver

saraht2712
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
i live in the UK and we dont celebrate thanksgiving but we still wait until dec 1st to put decorations up cos i live with my parents and my mum wants to put them up early but my dad wants them up later so dec 1st is their comprimise, but to us the season has already started!! but we do have halloween and fireworks to think about bu christmas is sooo much better!!!

rockmysox
10-18-2007, 05:31 PM
We start a few days after thanksgiving. Taking down those decorations, cleaning the house. Then say, november 30 or so we start decorating. And about the second week of december, we go out and get our tree.

My dad and I put out our outside decorations about the same time.

trish_j
10-29-2007, 01:15 AM
Well, my plan as always is the first weekend in November. Thursday I will take down the halloween deco's, saturday, hubby and i will decorate the outside and sunday, the inside is done.(We have an artificial tree) The way i look at it, Time Flies! Why not enjoy the wonderful x-mas decorations as much as you can.

Sean
11-06-2007, 01:38 AM
I L O V E christmas! It has been by far my favorite season since i knew what it was. The way christmas makes me feel cant be beat! So im a freak and im already startin to decorate at november first! Like said before enjoy it as much as you can time flies! waving
Now im just waiting for a certain radio station to start playin the music haha singing

cmrobert
11-06-2007, 05:24 AM
It's November 5th which almost means its Thanksgiving which means it's absolutely okay to start decorating. I put up lights today :) go for it. But definitely save the tree for early December.

Annabelle
11-06-2007, 05:25 AM
I would love to decorate today, but alas-the bf wont have it. Ive found that it just comes down to when I have time to do it. Although, with outdoor decor-I may say that its ok to put up the lights now, but maybe wait until after Thanksgiving to turn them on.

PumpkinJack81
11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Is it wrong for me to decorate my house before Christmas? My family always has started around 1th november. Is that wrong?

No one can tell you if it's "wrong" to start decorating now, so I say do what you are comfortable with. :) Personally, we never start until the day after Thanksgiving or maybe Thanksgiving Day, if I'm able to talk my wife into it. ;)

oct2667us
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
hi all, I am new here. I think Nov. 1 is fine. I am already putting mine up .:smiling angel:

PumpkinJack81
11-06-2007, 05:38 PM
hi all, I am new here. I think Nov. 1 is fine. I am already putting mine up .:smiling angel:

Hello! : waving :And welcome to our holiday forums! : santa :

PS - Would your username reflect your b-day by any chance? If so, I'm an October 26th b-day too!

Sean
11-06-2007, 11:54 PM
I agree a tree shouldnt be put up till just after thanks giving. But as for starting to decorate the house and lights out side i think november is a great time. Cuz not only do i like to put lights up i like to see everyone elses in the neighborhoods lights as well. So the sooner you put yours up the sooner every one else will to! : tree :

Annabelle
11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Ohhhh! I found another site with really cool ideas! notmartha.org

PumpkinJack81
11-07-2007, 03:17 AM
Ohhhh! I found another site with really cool ideas! notmartha.org

Pretty neat stuff on there... I think the name is really funny: NOT Martha. I really like Martha Stewart, but some of her "good ideas" are way too time consuming to recreate.

Sean
11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
So i have a confession. My family put up our 12 ft christmas tree yesterday haha! But its ok because the neighbors could see it through the windows and have now gotten theirs! Its addictive :tree:

PumpkinJack81
11-11-2007, 03:26 AM
So i have a confession. My family put up our 12 ft christmas tree yesterday haha! But its ok because the neighbors could see it through the windows and have now gotten theirs! Its addictive :tree:

Glad to hear your family is getting others in the holiday spirit! :waving:

christmas-goth-fairy
11-16-2007, 12:58 AM
to all who have their decorations up now:mad: i would love to start putting up the decorations now but my girlfriend has forbid it before dec 1st. life is so unfair.

PumpkinJack81
11-16-2007, 03:27 AM
to all who have their decorations up now:mad: i would love to start putting up the decorations now but my girlfriend has forbid it before dec 1st. life is so unfair.

Yeah, my wife is the same way...

hpntoph
11-16-2007, 04:51 AM
We can start putting up decorations! As a poor kid, I'm gonna need to whip out the construction paper and make paper chains! I'm thinking of a miniature tabletop tree since we don't have a lot of space... Any suggestions?

PumpkinJack81
11-16-2007, 01:54 PM
We can start putting up decorations! As a poor kid, I'm gonna need to whip out the construction paper and make paper chains! I'm thinking of a miniature tabletop tree since we don't have a lot of space... Any suggestions?

I don't know how "crafty" you want to be, but Disney's FamilyFun website has a lot of great Christmas crafts:

Christmas Crafts (http://familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts/season/specialfeature/christmas-crafts-ms/)

Let us know if you make something really fun! :waving:

xxxlhxxx
11-16-2007, 04:10 PM
I think 1st November is quite fast in Poland people star decoration homes around 1-10th December

Annabelle
11-17-2007, 01:20 AM

Maybe for a small space you should just try a color scheme. And if you're careful, it shouldnt be very expensive. You could use things you already have in a different way.

When I lived in my apartment I hung ornaments from mirrors, I put a small (3 foot) tree on an old end table and let the tree skirt hang over, it gave the tree more of a presence in the room. If you have empty space above your cabinets, I put Christmas lights up there and just used my own glassware to illuminate and give more of an effect. Plus it creates a nice mood. Wal-mart also has great holiday scented candles ($5) that make the whole apartment smell great and set a mood!

Hope that helps!

PumpkinJack81
11-19-2007, 03:25 AM
Maybe for a small space you should just try a color scheme. And if you're careful, it shouldnt be very expensive. You could use things you already have in a different way.

When I lived in my apartment I hung ornaments from mirrors, I put a small (3 foot) tree on an old end table and let the tree skirt hang over, it gave the tree more of a presence in the room. If you have empty space above your cabinets, I put Christmas lights up there and just used my own glassware to illuminate and give more of an effect. Plus it creates a nice mood. Wal-mart also has great holiday scented candles ($5) that make the whole apartment smell great and set a mood!

Hope that helps!

Great suggestions Annabelle! :D

disneydreamer98
11-19-2007, 03:33 PM
It's never too early to put Christmas decorations up! Shame on you Jen for holding Bobby back!

PumpkinJack81
11-19-2007, 08:13 PM
It's never too early to put Christmas decorations up! Shame on you Jen for holding Bobby back!

LOL! :kinky elf:

Nari
11-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Well, my Dad isn't that into Christmas, and neither is my mom, but I LOVE the holiday. We don't decorate until pretty close to Christmas, but I start listening to a station that plays Christmas music only the day after Thanksgiving.

I like it when people put up lights, because then the whole city looks pretty!

I think decorating early is fine!

(My two cents)

PumpkinJack81
11-25-2007, 07:41 AM
Hello Nari and welcome! :waving:
Hope you enjoy your time and have many happy holidays here with us! :santa:
PumpkinJack81
AllThingsChristmas Staff

I like it when people put up lights, because then the whole city looks pretty!

I agree, I love seeing Christmas lights on houses and shops! :rudolph:

beautycastvixen
11-25-2007, 11:58 PM
Never too early!! Decorations are so beautiful!

karanmi
03-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I start decorating in early November. I will have most of my decorations up by Thanksgiving. I have mostly artificial trees so can leave them up for a longer time. I will usually if we decide to have one real tree wait till the first week end in December to purchase that one and put it up. I have been known to put up an artificial tree and move to another part of the house after pucasing the real tree.

If you enjoy your decoations as much as I do I say go for it way before Thanksgiving. Took me several years before I got my hubby enthused over early decoarations.

Christmas-Lover
04-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Never to early to trim up for xmas! :santa:

PumpkinJack81
04-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Never to early to trim up for xmas! :santa:

Hi Laura,

Welcome to the forums! :waving: Hope you contionue to enjoy your time here with us. :D I like the Tinker Bell avatar!

PumpkinJack81
AllThingsChristmas staff

persimmonpudding
07-12-2008, 02:36 PM
It isn't wrong if you like it. I found myself whistling Christmas tunes last week...in JULY!!!

We usually put them up thanksgiving night at my folks...mainly because the family is all together then. My folks knock it down a day-or-three after Christmas so they can "get back to normal". I always seem to not think I was able to enjoy the Christmas stuff long enough.

At work, people were on my case for playing Christmas tunes in October. Last year I waited until November 1 but I think I'm going back to whenever the spirit strikes me this year (NOT July!).

It's hard for me as I'm whistling Christmas tunes and thinking about holidays while harvesting persimmons and processing/freezing pulp. I'm usually hitting early ripeners by mid-Sept. While harvesting I start salivating for persimmon pudding. When thinking about that, even though we eat it nearly any time of year, we HAVE to have it for Thanksgiving and Christmas at the very least. As a kid it was association with the pudding that stayed with me until today.

Sorry to stray from topic but the start of Christmas celebration is whenever you want it to be. Enjoy it!

love2decor8
08-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I have christmas decorations up year round, on the inside at least. So I think its fine whenever you decorate.

anniesplace
08-15-2008, 10:06 PM

i allways like to get december under way first my brothers birthday is on the 10th so from being a kid we always put them up on that dad.:tree: but if it was up to me they would never go down:waving:

hazelnut
08-16-2008, 06:13 AM
i usually estrain myself and put them up the first weekend of december, i work in a shopping centre though and they go up in november so i get to see all those ones daily :D

my son has taken to singing 'so here it is merry christmas' by slade already, he has got some funny looks as he shouts it while we are walkign to places lol

anniesplace
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
i usually estrain myself and put them up the first weekend of december, i work in a shopping centre though and they go up in november so i get to see all those ones daily :D

my son has taken to singing 'so here it is merry christmas' by slade already, he has got some funny looks as he shouts it while we are walkign to places lol

bet thats funny it is for kids thought and im just one big kid:dizzy:

anniesplace
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I have christmas decorations up year round, on the inside at least. So I think its fine whenever you decorate.

oh how lucky wish my other half would let me do that:waving:

McDLT
08-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Right after our town's Santa Claus parade is when I put up the outdoor stuff (we don't have a big front yard, but we light it up). Then the first Sunday of Advent is the day I put up the indoor stuff. The day before I hold a children's Christmas party where we make ornaments and get everybody in the Christmas mood. Sometimes I'll put up a bit of Christmas stuff, but usually it all comes out on the Sunday because I need the extra room in the house for all the party-goers.

ELF EXCHANGE
08-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi! Im new the the forum because I want to share my new site with everyone who loves Christmas! elfexchange.blogspot.com is a great way to give to someone less forutnate and have a little fun as well! Please check it out! Thank you and let's Pay it Forward!:santa:

Daisy
09-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Ohh, I personally hink that's a tad early, but then agian, I live in England and it's "bad luck" to have the decorations up for too long! I'm not really superstitious but my mum is!

We put ours up on the second Saturday of December. :)

Shellie
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
We have a tradition of putting everything up over the long weekend associated with Thanksgiving.

And we leave everything up a week past New Years. If it were up to my 5 year old, we'd have Christmas up all year! :kinky elf:

Shellie

Merry Christmas Darling
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
When I was a kid we always put our fresh cut tree up a week before Christmas. Now I use artificial trees and start decorating after Thanksgiving dinner.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Do you post photos, Sean? I'm glad you're back and would love to see some photos!

ChantelleJoy
10-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Do you post photos, Sean? I'm glad you're back and would love to see some photos!

Merry, you're replying to a post Sean made in 2008. Just FYI ;)

Merry Christmas Darling
10-20-2013, 01:20 AM
I thought that because he was online when I posted that, that he'd respond.

HolidaySeason
11-09-2013, 04:46 PM
I usually decorate my dad's and grandmother's houses for Christmas. My dad always gets me to put his up on Advent Sunday, which is usually in late November, whereas my grandmother has hers put up around a week before Christmas. (She grew up back in the days when most people didn't decorate until Christmas Eve.)

steph535
11-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I usually decorate my dad's and grandmother's houses for Christmas. My dad always gets me to put his up on Advent Sunday, which is usually in late November, whereas my grandmother has hers put up around a week before Christmas. (She grew up back in the days when most people didn't decorate until Christmas Eve.)

my mom was like that, too. she would put up the tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on or just after 'Twelfth Night.' That was when I was very young, but after a while, she'd put it up about a week before Christmas and it would be taken down Jan. 1st.

ornamentmaven
11-09-2013, 07:44 PM
When I was a kid, we always decorated around December 10th - 14th. Because we had a real tree, it couldn't be put up any earlier. Now I put everything up in late November - after Thanksgiving - except for my doll tree and winter shoier curtain - which are up already. I generally take3 everthing donw on January 1st-2nd

steph535
11-09-2013, 11:38 PM
we always had a real tree, too, OM when I was growing up, and always a balsam, which kept it's needles longer than a spruce. but, I don't think my mother would have put up an artificial tree any earlier, if we had had one. after I moved away and got married, I had real trees, too , and I cannot remember at what point I started using artificial trees or even why or when I started putting a tree up around Thanksgiving, but that's what I do now

Sam the snowman
11-10-2013, 08:05 PM
it's my daughters birthday today and its Remembrance Day tomorrow, so I don't put anything out till after that and it starts with indoor decor , then sometime in the middle of November or the first snow fall I put out the yard decoration ( although it is snowing now but I won't do it now) then the tree is real so it goes up on Dec 1st!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-10-2013, 10:16 PM
it's my daughters birthday today and its Remembrance Day tomorrow, so I don't put anything out till after that and it starts with indoor decor , then sometime in the middle of November or the first snow fall I put out the yard decoration ( although it is snowing now but I won't do it now) then the tree is real so it goes up on Dec 1st!

Being a snowman, I guess you don't mind going out in the cold to do those decorations! http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Weather/Snow01.gif (http://s774.photobucket.com/user/DiademRose/media/Weather/Snow01.gif.html)

ornamentmaven
11-11-2013, 04:49 AM
we always had a real tree, too, OM when I was growing up, and always a balsam, which kept it's needles longer than a spruce. but, I don't think my mother would have put up an artificial tree any earlier, if we had had one. after I moved away and got married, I had real trees, too , and I cannot remember at what point I started using artificial trees or even why or when I started putting a tree up around Thanksgiving, but that's what I do now

I remember exactly when and why we started using an artificial tree. It was 2001 and my husband was recovering from surgery. He was not allowed to lift anything and we knew we had to get something that I could handle on my own or with help from my daughters who were 7 and 16 at the time. We swore that we would go back to real - but loved that we could put the tree up so much earlier - so that was it for our real trees!

Sam the snowman
11-11-2013, 06:23 AM
LOL, yeah the cold doesn't bother me!

HolidaySeason
11-13-2013, 07:41 PM
my mom was like that, too. she would put up the tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on or just after 'Twelfth Night.' That was when I was very young, but after a while, she'd put it up about a week before Christmas and it would be taken down Jan. 1st.
Yes, my dad is very much about doing things by the Christian tradition, so it's Advent Sunday until Twelfth Night for him, whereas my grandmother's decorations are usually up 15th-18th December until Twelfth Night as well. The normal time to take down decorations in this country is usually anywhere between the 1st to the 6th January.

Sam the snowman
11-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Well , just put up my indoor decorations minus the tree... that will be Dec 1st and now I'm drinking some Christmas blend coffee from Starbucks and listening to Floyd Cramer's Christmas album on vinyl...

Papa_Christmas
11-14-2013, 02:34 PM
When I was a kid, we always decorated around December 10th - 14th. Because we had a real tree, it couldn't be put up any earlier. Now I put everything up in late November - after Thanksgiving - except for my doll tree and winter shoier curtain - which are up already. I generally take3 everthing donw on January 1st-2nd

I grew up in Ohio ,that's where I met and married my wife and where our oldest child was born. We used to go to a tree farm and cut our own tree always a Blue or Norway Spruce. Never cared for long needled varieties their branches wont take the weight of heavy ornaments the way the short needled ones will. I was always adamant that you had to have a real tree so we never put it up until mid December. In 83 we moved to Texas and were forced to start buying trees from a nursery and with the advent of the solutions they have to help them suck up water we could now put it up the first of December. Year after year the price of a Blue Spruce trees went up and up until I was paying $100 plus for a nice 9-10 footer. Finally about 10 years ago I had had enough of over priced trees, watering it daily, wrestling with it to put the lights on and then on January 1 dragging it to the front door leaving a trail of pine needles all the way.
So I became a convert and bought my first artificial tree that was the starting point of what eventually became Papa's Christmas Wonderland 7 trees of various themes and sizes, decorations from the front yard to the back porch and I can have it all up and ready to flip the switch after dinner on Thanksgiving and I leave it all lit up until Epiphany on Jan.6. Theses days I find myself taking my own sweet time about taking it down so I can enjoy it as long as possible.

Soooooooooo Too Early? What the heck is that:elf1:

tlazer
11-14-2013, 10:38 PM
Its never too early LOL
I start the day after Thanksgiving

gingerelf
11-20-2013, 03:18 PM
We normally go to a Christmas tree farm around the first or second weekend of December to get a real tree. This year I would like to go the weekend after Thanksgiving. Our trees tend to last a really long time as long as we keep them watered. Our ceiling in our new house (this is our third Christmas) is 16 feet tall so we aim for 12-14 foot trees. Just purchasing and getting it up is an ordeal so we move in stages. The tree goes up on day one then hubby and I string the lights and the kids help decorate while we watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. We've hosted Thanksgiving here the last few years so no Christmas decorations went up until the week after. This year we're hosting somewhere else so I am having to seriously resist the urge to put Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving gets here.

ornamentmaven
11-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I would never put up a real tree that early. I remember one year when we put up a real tree on the 14th of Dec. and had to take it down by the 26th - SO dry!!! You just never know when the trees are cut!

steph535
11-22-2013, 12:41 AM
I would never put up a real tree that early. I remember one year when we put up a real tree on the 14th of Dec. and had to take it down by the 26th - SO dry!!! You just never know when the trees are cut!

they are cut in October. I know you have to water them at least once, maybe twice every day and if it gets dry and the tree forms a barrier on the bottom of the trunk, you have to recut it

Merry Christmas Darling
11-22-2013, 02:01 AM
Whoa! Ya can't recut a tree that's already decorated!

steph535
11-22-2013, 06:09 AM
Whoa! Ya can't recut a tree that's already decorated!

I agree it would be a major pain in the rear and most of us, including me, wouldn't do it, but that is what would be required to get the tree to take up water again and not so quickly dry out and die

ornamentmaven
11-22-2013, 10:19 PM
We put up a real tree every year for YEARS! We always re-cut the bottom before we decorate and always give it plenty of water - but that one year, the tree was done for by Christmas Day!

Xmasflora
11-23-2013, 09:01 AM
First week of december I add a bit of decorations around the house and mid december a fresh tree with decorations and lights.Central heating dries it out so not too early.

Sam the snowman
12-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Just put up my (real) tree yesterday

angelpugs2
12-02-2013, 12:29 AM
that is so very nice how pretty.:elf3::merrychristmas:

Sam the snowman
12-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Thank you..pictures are blurry, I took them with my video camera … I'm very vintage with my decor a lot of it is from the 50's

*Snowflake*
12-04-2013, 03:52 PM
beautiful tree:christmastree: