PDA

View Full Version : Improvement Ideas?

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2008, 05:08 PM
PLEASE HELP ME! It seems like I don't know how to make my tree pretty. I admit it's my own perception of things; my husband and youngest daughter tell me that last year's main tree was beautiful, but I disagree. I'm like Adrian Monk; things never look right to me!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/Christmas/Christmas2007183.jpg

Can someone suggest something to make it look more professional? I'm buying a new tree topper:

http://www.everythingchristmas.com.au/prod349.htm

A traditional style Angel tree topper beautifully detailed by Jim Shore. Body crafted of handpainted polyresin. Skirt is red fabric embroidered with small red flowers on bottom band of white fabric. The wings are supposedly white felt with appliques.

I also bought some gold glass pinecones and more red glass hearts. I'm thinking that the tree needs some flower picks, but I don't know what to buy or how to attach them.

Unfortunately, our carpet is country blue.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-24-2008, 05:41 PM
This is a three-foot tree I did last year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/Christmas2007170.jpg

Why is it sideways?

PumpkinJack81
10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm buying a new tree topper:

http://www.everythingchristmas.com.au/prod349.htm

A traditional style Angel tree topper beautifully detailed by Jim Shore. Body crafted of handpainted polyresin. Skirt is red fabric embroidered with small red flowers on bottom band of white fabric. The wings are supposedly white felt with appliques.

She's beautiful! :angel: I love Jim Shore's creations!

PumpkinJack81
10-24-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't know if they'll help, but check out the Christmas tree articles on About.com: :christmastree:

http://interiordec.about.com/od/cmastreetips/a/cmastreedecor.htm

Merry Christmas Darling
10-25-2008, 01:15 AM
:rudolph: Thanks, Bob! I clicked on the one about nosegays. This looks like it will help me do some floral stuff on the tree. I don't know if I'll get it done this year, but I might next year.

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/holidayschristmas/l/blcmasbunch1.htm

I do best with a picture to follow though. I think I hate my living room now. :( I'm ready to go watch an episode of Monk.

I want someone to critique my tree. :christmastree:

PumpkinJack81
10-25-2008, 02:26 AM
:rudolph: Thanks, Bob! I clicked on the one about nosegays. This looks like it will help me do some floral stuff on the tree. I don't know if I'll get it done this year, but I might next year.

http://interiordec.about.com/cs/holidayschristmas/l/blcmasbunch1.htm

I do best with a picture to follow though. I think I hate my living room now. :( I'm ready to go watch an episode of Monk.

I want someone to critique my tree. :christmastree:

Glad you found something to help you out a little...You are too funny with your Christmas tree critiquing! :santahat: I think your trees look beautiful! I really like the 3-foot Jim Shore tree; what lovely ornaments! :christmastree:

onemagicalchristmas
10-25-2008, 02:31 AM
your tree looks beautiful I love how you did it Mine looks messy compared to yours!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-25-2008, 05:55 PM
Now I KNOW there's something wrong with my head! I forgot to finish putting my pinecones on the Jim Shore tree and neither of you said anything! Adrian Monk understands me and would have at least pointed that out. LOL.

onemagicalchristmas
10-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Was that your tree for this year. I never thought of pinecones on my tree. I am thinking of putting up a 3 ft tree in our bedroom though. If I do I will take a picture not sure how I will decorate it yet. presents

Merry Christmas Darling
10-26-2008, 01:13 AM
Was that your tree for this year. I never thought of pinecones on my tree. I am thinking of putting up a 3 ft tree in our bedroom though. If I do I will take a picture not sure how I will decorate it yet. presents

That tree was for last year. The pinecones are carved from wood and were made in East Germany. I bought them in the seventies.

Merry Christmas Darling
10-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Thank you, Bob, or whoever rotated my Jim Shore tree!

___________________________ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/Idnam/All%20Things%20Christmas/Linda_Christmas.jpg

Donna-50
11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
I think you could use some more lights and more ornaments inside the tree to reflect off the lights. For inside get some cheap ornaments after Christmas if you don't have anymore. I love the icicles as they play off the lights also. I have also seen the thin garland put with beads and it looks fabulous. Beading I have never got it to how I liked it, trust me I tried for years, ribbon either.

You did a great job on your tree and we are our own worse critic.

lynnenc
11-19-2008, 10:58 PM
OK - while I don't think your tree needs any 'critiquing' at all - it is simply gorgeous as is .....here goes. If you want that FULL designer look you need to stuff the inside of the tree with shiney ballls of varying sizes to capture the light - they don't have to be expensive ones just shiney then on the outer branches you put all your pretty ornaments making sure you place them to catch the best optimone light from the tree. Lots of wire edge ribbon preferably done with two complimentary colors draped together and tucked in and out ( I have yet the master the ribbon but I keep trying) and then tons of the new glass icicles on the outer edges again to capture the light. Large ornaments also help give the designer look......

Lynne :christmastree:

Merry Christmas Darling
11-20-2008, 04:57 AM
OK - while I don't think your tree needs any 'critiquing' at all - it is simply gorgeous as is .....here goes. If you want that FULL designer look you need to stuff the inside of the tree with shiney ballls of varying sizes to capture the light - they don't have to be expensive ones just shiney then on the outer branches you put all your pretty ornaments making sure you place them to catch the best optimone light from the tree. Lots of wire edge ribbon preferably done with two complimentary colors draped together and tucked in and out ( I have yet the master the ribbon but I keep trying) and then tons of the new glass icicles on the outer edges again to capture the light. Large ornaments also help give the designer look......

Lynne :christmastree:

I'm going to print your instructions out for next year (or save them to Word Perfect). I've just about finished this year's tree and it's nothing like that photo. Thanks so much for your help.

Crazymike1965
11-20-2008, 11:10 AM
Lynn does exactly what I do with my trees MW. You can also buy some sets of twinkle lights that I use on my crystal tree. They really give the tree a nice effect :)

onemagicalchristmas
11-20-2008, 11:19 PM
are twinkle lights different than the blinking bulbs for regular lights? I used to use the blinking bulb in my lights but don't like blinking as much as the regular lights all lit up!:snowman:

Crazymike1965
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
I have an animation of my tree with twinkle lights over on the photo thread if you want to get a rough idea of what they are like.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-21-2008, 12:58 AM
Lynn does exactly what I do with my trees MW. You can also buy some sets of twinkle lights that I use on my crystal tree. They really give the tree a nice effect :)

What is your definition of twinkle lights? Last year I had these horrible mini lights on my smaller trees and they had about ten settings. I ended up setting it so that all the lights were always on (constantly), not blinking, twinkling, or any fancy stuff. But I thought I had bought multi-color lights and they were only red, blue and green and I hated them. So I sent them to Goodwill this year. I won't add lights to my 7-1/2 foot tree because I hate walking around the tree to put them on and then walking around the tree to take them off. :smiling angel: I'm in my sixties, so I look for easier ways to get the job done. That way I still have time for a nap :sleeping: when I'm finished.

Do your lights go off and on while you look at your tree?

Merry Christmas Darling
11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I apologize for asking for advice and then going ahead with my tree before all the responses came in. I have to admit that when I get a bee in my bonnet, I'm not very good at waiting.

AinsleyKath
12-04-2008, 09:45 AM
That was awesome tree:christmastree: you decorated last year, looks very nice..

keep up the great work for this year christmas also.