PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Christmas gifts

PumpkinJack81
10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
What is the best Christmas present you ever received?
What is the worst Christmas present you ever received?

Share your Christmas gift memories here.
:presents2:

onemagicalchristmas
10-21-2008, 11:18 PM
THe worst weould be under wear a size to small!:santa:

THe best would be anything given from the heart!

One thing I would say would be a precious moments anniversary clock My husband got for me the first christmas we were together.:snowman:

noelglori
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM
The best Christmas present was having all of kids and grandchildren here to spend Christmas with us.
It has only happened one time since they got married and have their own children, so it was very special.

The worst present: ummm, I really can't think of anything. I have gotten some "useless" presents but they were not bad presents.

PumpkinJack81
10-23-2008, 12:15 PM
The best Christmas present was having all of kids and grandchildren here to spend Christmas with us.
It has only happened one time since they got married and have their own children, so it was very special.

That is a wonderful present! :D

persimmonpudding
11-10-2008, 05:53 PM
I never think of any gift as "the worst" or even bad. But I also don't want anyone to feel like it is a chore.

As for the best? Any time I get to spend time with family & friends is the best gift. There are just so many demands on time and so little of it. I'd rather just hang out with them than get anything. I do love giving stuff though.

k nielsen
11-10-2008, 08:05 PM
The best Christmas gift that I ever recieved was being told that my son was going to be born the following year. I made it to my 2nd trimester- bery big deal in our house. It was the first time I had breathed deep in months.

I don't think that I have ever gotten a 'worst' gift. Any gift is special- it means someone took the time to think of you!:presents2:

Theresa Cunningham
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Ok..now mind you I'm not 100% skinny but the worst gift ever given to me by my sister in law was a huge salad bowl with the tossing/serving forks..I was really insulted since I already have one and she knew this because she ate over our house many times..I gave it to charity.

beadangel
11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Best gift would be anything but RECYCLED GIFTS!

Worst woudl be RECYCLED GIFTS!

humordirect
11-16-2008, 02:29 AM
I got a bicycle once. It was the best thing since sliced bread.

glone
11-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Best: Castle Grayskull toy. Oh man, I will never forget that! lol

Worst: I got a Christmas themed, ceramic, snowman cookie jar from my aunt when I was 17. The only thing that went through my mind was "Why?!!!". Naturally the thing that actually came out of my mouth was "Ohhh cool! Thanks!" hahaha

HollyJoy
11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
I think my best and worst X-mas gift is my current boyfriend..lol
well, he asked me to be together last X-mas, I wasn't really excited about it cuz i thought he would've be a lousy bf which is turned to be right. However, time goes by and he actually showed a lot of love and sincerities :crying: and I love him even more :)

PumpkinJack81
11-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Best: Castle Grayskull toy. Oh man, I will never forget that! lol

Worst: I got a Christmas themed, ceramic, snowman cookie jar from my aunt when I was 17. The only thing that went through my mind was "Why?!!!". Naturally the thing that actually came out of my mouth was "Ohhh cool! Thanks!" hahaha

"By the power of Grayskull, I have the power!!!!"

http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/271/983/61/o_HeManPic.jpg

My He-Man toys are still in my mom's attic...I need to get those. :D

Poinsetta
11-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I remember when I was a very little girl waking up on Christmas morning and in the centre of my pile of gifts from Santa was a huge barbie house with all the furniture etc laid out! I played with nothing else for years, it is the one gift I can remember clearly recieving at Christmas :) xx

onemagicalchristmas
11-29-2008, 12:54 AM
I always used tissue boxes and books to make my own Barbie furniture. My parents didn't buy furniture for Barbie but I always got two or three at christmas. and one on my birthday. growing up. presentspresentspresentspresentspresentspresents

drc40
12-04-2008, 05:12 AM
One of the best Christmas gifts I can remember from my childhood was a bumper pool table for my brother and me to share. We woke up in the middle of the night on Christmas eve and snuck into the living room to peak at the gifts. We found that and played on it the rest of the night.
The best gift I have ever gotten as an adult was my wife and children having a happy Christmas.
I don't remember ever getting anything I considered a worst gift.

LuckyChimpanZ
02-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Best: six containers of parmesan cheese. I don't like cheese, except for this special kind, which is super hard to find. But my friend found it and bought me a ton. Most of it went bad, but it was still thoughtful.

Worst: I bought my sister to sacks of flour once. Actually I did it to hide the gift certificate at the bottom (tricking her into thinking I got her something big and heavy, not just a gift certificate), so overall it was a good gift, but the flour itself wasn't good.

gummgirl
08-05-2009, 02:42 AM
The best gift I ever got was well last Christmas I got an iPod and the Christmas before that a new Computer.

The worst gift I ever got was well I've gotten several a pink flamingo that lit up (no I'm not kidding), books I've already gotten, clothes too small, earrings (I have no piercings!). There have been several and I'll probably get more in the Christmas' to come.

MacShirts
08-05-2009, 03:24 AM
Best: The original Nintendo Gameboy, except it was the newest model, which was thinner and see-through. I have 4 siblings, so video game systems usually had to be split between all of us. But this one was all mine :yahoo:

Worst: That same year my brother and I would sneak out in the middle of the night and hide behind the tree where we would cut the tape on the ends of the wrapping paper and carefully slide the box out. We played the Gameboy every night that week leading up to Christmas. It was the worst only because we had ruined the suprise that our parents were looking forward to seeing on us and they had to really pinch to afford it :sad elf:

gummgirl
08-14-2009, 07:46 PM
MacShirts You metioned something about the original Gameboy. I was going through my closet and found mine (it's not the thiner version like yours but it is an original Gameboy) and it still works! I was playing it the other night. I used to have the original Nintendo too but I don't know what happened to it.

MacShirts
08-14-2009, 11:34 PM
That's so cool! I actually had one of those too, except I got it for my birthday. I remember playing kirby on it, man I loved that thing. What games do you have for it? Haha now I want to look on ebay for one ;)

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 02:50 AM
I have:
Tiny Toon Adventures Montana's Movie Madness
Ren & Stimpy Veediots
Donkey Kong
Kirby's Pinball Land
Yoshi's Cookie

It's so funny I have the original case and it's so huge! (Compared to the cases today)

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 05:33 AM
I have:
Tiny Toon Adventures Montana's Movie Madness

It's so funny I have the original case and it's so huge! (Compared to the cases today)

I cant believe you have that game, I used to play that game nonstop when I was little! I remember the little carrots you had to collect and the cool Asian rooftops you start off on (If Im remembering correctly!). Thats too cool, I had the ren and stimpy game for the SNES...that was a pretty trippy game for kids lol. Yeah, after I read your post about the original gameboy I looked it up and its gigantic...bigger than I remember :p

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Yes! The Tiny Tunes game is just like that!
Ren & Stimpy was so not for kids but I used to watch it all the time. Now that I look back there were really a lot of shows that were unsuitable for children and I used to watch them!

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 05:52 AM
Haha awesome, I havent thought about that game in so long. Yeah I know what you mean, my parents worked so much we just watched whatever...like Beavis and Butthead and some other weird shows that my sisters liked..I think one was Daria? You might know it, the content was definately for adults

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 05:57 AM
I miss Daria so much! I used to watch that show all the time.
Yeah I'd watch one called Liquid Television it was so weird but my grandma let me watch it! But I also used to watch SNL reruns when I was really little and I didn't get any of the jokes!

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Wow I bet we ended up watching just about the same stuff growing up huh. I used to watch Married with Children with my dad and would laugh whenever he did, even thought I didn't get the jokes :D I wonder if you can find Daria in a dvd box set?

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm sure a lot of us who were born in the 80's grew up watching that stuff!
As far as I know Daria isn't in a box set (only 2 movies on DVD) but I'm hoping someday it will come out.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 06:47 AM
Yeah that's true, I'm happy we had some pretty unique shows growing up, not like all these new cookie cutter disney shows :-/ I'm sure some day they will, Daria was a pretty popular show. What year were you born, if you don't mind me asking?

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 06:52 AM
Yeah growing up in the 90's was really cool. You have no idea how much I miss the 90's. Yeah today's kid shows are really lame (I watch Nickelodeon for Drake & Josh and iCarly) but Disney Channel really bugs me!

I was born in 1985 so I'm 24.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Yeah you're right, I miss a lot of Nick shows...do you remember Salute Your Shorts or All That? I think it was all that, like a kids sketch comedy show. I still watch spongebob ;) haha Yeah, so we're right in the same age group :D

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Yeah All That was a sketch comedy show like SNL for a younger crowd.
I would also watch Kenan & Kel and The Amanda Show and of course all of the cartoons!
I think back in the 90's Disney Channel cost extra so we didn't have that.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 07:12 AM
Those were the days. Kenan is on SNL now and he's pretty funny!

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Yeah occasionally when I watch SNL he's funny.

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 07:40 AM
:cool: We pretty much just stole this whole thread

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Ha Ha, Yeah we did!

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 07:58 AM
ahem ill try to get us back on topic ;)...I also like to...uh mapquest a couple of neighborhoods to drive down and enjoy the lights :D

gummgirl
08-15-2009, 08:00 AM
I think you posted in the wrong place unless Christmas lights was your best present ever!

MacShirts
08-15-2009, 08:03 AM
Haha your right I messed up...its all this thread jumping! I thought we were still in the traditions one

lialia
11-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I think a journey to Laplandia:santa2::elf3:

markgbarba1987
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Best present I got was a new Ipod Touch..
worst? uhmm.. i have to say a shirt that didnt even fit
me... hehe:dizzy:

karanmi
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Best: six containers of parmesan cheese. I don't like cheese, except for this special kind, which is super hard to find. But my friend found it and bought me a ton. Most of it went bad, but it was still thoughtful.

Worst: I bought my sister to sacks of flour once. Actually I did it to hide the gift certificate at the bottom (tricking her into thinking I got her something big and heavy, not just a gift certificate), so overall it was a good gift, but the flour itself wasn't good.

I really had to chuckle to myself at the flour hiding the gift card. Sounds just like something my husband would do. He came in one year with a big heavy box. Of course I am always snoopy with my gifts.:presents2: I would pick it up and try to read through the wrapping paper. The box was just the size and weight of the dishes I wanted and also a stand mixer I ask for. Boy was I in for a shock when I opened it to find a couple of my throw rugs that were missing wrapped around one of his dumbell weights. Tucked to the edges were two cookie sheets. My dishes and mixer were hidden in the garage. :merrychristmas:
Karan

karanmi
11-29-2009, 10:04 PM
I think the worse Christmas gift I ever recieved had to have been in 1978. I was going through a divorce at the time. My husband had left for another woman. Well this was the third time this had happened and each year it was just shortly before Christmas. I had decided that this was it when he left and filed for the divorce. So I had decided to go out to dinner with a family friend who had been divorced for a couple of years. Any ways my almost ex decided that he wanted me back and sent me flowers for Christmas. When I saw the florist standing there with this huge boquet I about fell over. She had no idea that I was getting a divorce. She was happy as a lark and handed me the flowers. When I asked who they were from and she told me I shoved them back at her and refused to take them. She was a family friend as her husband worked for my dad . I told her to take them home anad enjoy them for the holidays.

I think the best gift I got would have to be that family friend I went out to dinner with. We have now been married 30 years and we have 21 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. As for material best gifts I would have to say the year I recieved my train and doll house. I had told my husband one time about always wanting a train but my parents said that trains were for little boys so I could not have one. :elf2:I also had always wanted a big doll house but for some reason I never got one of those either. A few years after telling my husband about this on Christmas morning I unwrapped gifts and here was the train set I always wanted as a child. In another big box here was a huge 9 room victorian doll house kit which we built together. :dance: Just got to love that man.:smitten:

:merrychristmas:
Karan

markgbarba1987
12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
worst: perfume that smells like a dead flower.

best: car

weeee.. :gelf:

xmasfan
12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Best Present: A computer in 1997.
Worst Present: A broom and dust pan last year.

mcjakeqcool
12-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Best present ever: A Xbox 360
Worst present ever: A power supply for my 360 that did not work.

Melinda
12-17-2009, 07:17 AM
Well, I kind of had that probem as well. I got a cardigan from my father, who tought it would "match my eyes", euuu. It was a wrong size, not to mention a wrong colour. Once I've sent my father on his mail adress a link to an internet page. It was wisomi.com. Even thogh I had to register myself and do all that ranking for my prefered presents, still it payed off. At least now I can hope, this year would be different. :P:P:P

Elf_Erv
05-24-2010, 06:39 AM
BEST: a GIANT toy army man set that was several hundred pieces. I think about that set all the time, played many, many hours with it. Wish I could find it today to buy.

WORST: perhaps this Christmas past I was given some of the most ugliest clothes possible ... style and colors I'd never wear. There were all returned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Javern/Christmas/humbug.gif

olga
05-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Best present: Dickens Christmas Carol book (hard cover edition)
Worst present: A pair of terrible wonen shoes... I thanked my granma and next:santa: week I changed them with a beautiful jacket...
See what I mean, by saying terrible women shoes... :eek:
http://www.santasuit4u.co.uk/images/Fun/elf-05BPU.jpg

Hutton
06-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Best Present: Xbox 360. I know it may seem a bit superficial and not exactly a present with much thought put into it (i asked for it) but my parents were struggling and I told them not to worry about getting it and they got it anyway just so I would have a good christmas :)

Worst Present: Most things my Grandmother and Nan buy by themselves. I love them and they try really hard but they don't know me well and they buy things more suitable for somebody over 65 and I am...well, quite a bit younger than 65. Occasionally they buy me something nice and it's a lovely surprise but most of the time I have to change it.

olga
06-14-2010, 04:43 PM
WORST: perhaps this Christmas past I was given some of the most ugliest clothes possible ... style and colors I'd never wear. There were all returned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/Javern/Christmas/humbug.gif

Oh God, I know what you mean.. Did you also have to put them on, smiling and pretending you had never got such unique clothes????? :smiling angel:

SilverBells
06-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Best gift :presents2: was an hour long beauty treatment:rudolph: at my favorite beauty salon:elf3: from my husband:smitten:. He knew I wanted some pampering.
Worst gift was a t-shirt with Mo :waving: (my sister got Curly and my brother in-law got Larry) from a friend who likes me the least :mad: I guess:dizzy:

Elvira1986
06-16-2010, 10:05 PM
I think the worse Christmas gift I ever recieved had to have been in 1978. I was going through a divorce at the time. My husband had left for another woman. Well this was the third time this had happened and each year it was just shortly before Christmas. I had decided that this was it when he left and filed for the divorce. So I had decided to go out to dinner with a family friend who had been divorced for a couple of years. Any ways my almost ex decided that he wanted me back and sent me flowers for Christmas. When I saw the florist standing there with this huge boquet I about fell over. She had no idea that I was getting a divorce. She was happy as a lark and handed me the flowers. When I asked who they were from and she told me I shoved them back at her and refused to take them. She was a family friend as her husband worked for my dad . I told her to take them home anad enjoy them for the holidays.

I think the best gift I got would have to be that family friend I went out to dinner with. We have now been married 30 years and we have 21 grandkids and 2 great grandkids. As for material best gifts I would have to say the year I recieved my train and doll house. I had told my husband one time about always wanting a train but my parents said that trains were for little boys so I could not have one. :elf2:I also had always wanted a big doll house but for some reason I never got one of those either. A few years after telling my husband about this on Christmas morning I unwrapped gifts and here was the train set I always wanted as a child. In another big box here was a huge 9 room victorian doll house kit which we built together. :dance: Just got to love that man.:smitten:

:merrychristmas:
Karan

Wow, that is so sweet! I love those gifts. Very thoughtful and beautiful!

My best gift: I was in the hospital 2 years ago and I had a blue teddy bear with me that my boyfriend gave me on one of our first dates(first present he ever gave me.) Unfortunately I lost it there. He tried to get a replacement one for me at the store, but they did not sell them anymore. I sort of forgot about it, till he gave me the package one Christmas morning. He searched the internet and found a bear just like the one I lost. It was the best present ever!

Worst gift: An awful aubergine coloured purse. It was from someone who normally has good taste, but this was an exeption. Never used the thing.

stephmcuk
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
love this tread it has been fun to read...

best: my mum made me a beauty hamper full of make up and beauty products.....it had all my favourites in... it was just so thought ful i loved it.

worst: a foot file... you know one of those things u get for getting hard skin off your feet:sad elf: funny thing is i get regular pedicures and really dont even use them...