PDA

View Full Version : Do you open gifts Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Chazz
06-06-2011, 12:53 AM
We've always opened them Christmas Day. What about you?

tinkerbell2
06-06-2011, 01:07 AM
We open ours on Christmas Day, well that's when we can get the two
older children to get out of bed to come downstairs..:elf1: It's me that gets up at a silly time
in the morning waiting for them..:elf1::elf1:

ornamentmaven
06-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Ha Ha Tink - I always have to wait for my kids too. Even when the 26 year old was a very little girl - we could never get her up!

Well, we open ours Christmas morning as a family. On Christmas Eve we have extended family over for a buffet dinner and open gifts from them at that time. I still buy my two daughters new pajamas to be opened on Christmas Eve!

Home alone 2
06-06-2011, 03:21 AM
We open one on Christmas Eve (been a tradition for years) and leave the rest until the day. :snowman:

Chazz
06-06-2011, 08:19 AM
My daughter gets to open her gifts Christmas morning. Then, we have a big family gathering at my parents' home, where more gifts are opened. Finally, my wife and I open gifts from each other on Christmas night. A whole day of gifts makes for a lot of fun!

Greetings !
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
My DH likes opening gifts after midnight mass, but I prefer waiting till morning. So we do both.

olga
06-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Open gifts New Years Eve, thats the custom, here, in Greece.

SilverBells
06-06-2011, 02:32 PM
We open them Christmas morning but save one for New Year's Day. :presents2:

olga
06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
We open them Christmas morning but save one for New Year's Day. :presents2:

Tiatia, you're the first person I know, in Greece, opening gifts Christmas morning!!! :santa:
:merrychristmas:

Jordan
06-07-2011, 01:10 AM
What a great thread!

I've always opened my gifts Xmas morning with my family. My wife and her family have always opened one gift Xmas eve, though (usually a pair of pyjamas), so we sometimes do that, too. That said, the gift giving is usually spread out among my family over a day or two.

Neat to hear how they do things in Greece!

Chazz
06-07-2011, 02:49 AM
This is really cool reading about these different traditions!

Merry Christmas Darling
10-11-2011, 08:21 AM
If I had had my way, we would have always opened gifts on Christmas Eve. That's when I opened them as a child. After I married, my husband didn't like that custom at all. So we waited until Christmas morning. As the kids got older I enlisted their help in convincing him to let us open one on Christmas Eve. Now that the children are grown he doesn't care when we open them or if there's only one gift under the tree.

:giftpeek:

Christmas_mama
10-11-2011, 06:03 PM
On Christmas day - never before. The children open the stockings and gifts from Santa in the morning as soon as we are all up, but all the gifts under the tree from family and friends get saved until after Christmas dinner :elf3:

Merry Christmas Darling
10-11-2011, 09:01 PM
On Christmas day - never before. The children open the stockings and gifts from Santa in the morning as soon as we are all up, but all the gifts under the tree from family and friends get saved until after Christmas dinner :elf3:

We never had more than three gifts each when I was growing up and no extended family around. Oh, and we didn't have stockings.

Mr. Christmas
10-11-2011, 10:19 PM
We let our son open 1 gift Christmas eve because I tell him that its from the elves who came by to check on him and make sure he's being a good boy.

ornamentmaven
10-12-2011, 03:12 AM
My daughters have always opened one gift each on Christmas Eve. And it is always a new pair of PJs. They are 26 and 17 now and they still want those PJs!

Heather
10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
As my lot (all men - hubbie, adult son and adult caree in wheelchair) don't get up till noon on Christmas Day because they've been at the pub on Christmas Eve while I pre-cook most of the Christmas lunch, we open our presents when it's hit midnight and officially Christmas Day. Otherwise it'd be the afternoon before we got round to it!

christmasislove
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM
We always open on Christmas day! We got Christmas PJ's on Christmas eve when we were growing up but now (even being 21 & waking up at 5 am Christmas morning) we wait until about 8 or 9 to open gifts. Then we go over to my brother &sister-in-laws and open up gifts with them and my niece. We then go over to my grandmas for breakfast casserole & even more presents!!

Can't wait to have my first Christmas traditions with my Fiance next Christmas as Husband and Wife!!:santa:

*Snowflake*
10-13-2011, 01:07 AM
always on Christmas day.:santasmile:

MinnesotaMike
10-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Christmas Day.

michelmas
10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
We open 1 gift on Christmas Eve, always pajamas. The rest of the gifts are opened on Christmas Morning as it is tradition. I love the all night anticipation, getting up early when it is still dark and opening gifts with the room lighted only by the lights of the Christmas tree.

We had an extended family Christmas one year where gifts were opened Christmas Day afternoon, after dinner, in the daylight. I was tired from cooking and lethargic from eating. There was no anticipation as my thoughts had been elsewhere and the bright day light ruined the ambiance for me.