PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite Christmas Movies

neatheyc
12-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Hi there,

I know this has probably been done to death, but be gentle with me as I am new here!

Every year, without fail, a few days before Christmas, I dust off my favourite Christmas movies and watch them all. I try to add to my collection each year, but must confess I've never watched the classics (wonderful life, white christmas, original miracle on 34th st etc) from fear that I won't enjoy them as they will be dated.

However, each time I google the best christmas movies, I am surprised that Die Hard makes the list? As much as I love this film (I am a bloke afterall!) I wouldn't consider it a Christmas movie.

So just wanted to share with you the movies that make me feel good and gives me that warm glow inside, call Christmas spirit. In no particular order:

A Christmas Carol (any of them. I love them all. Alex Simms is the best, but I love Jim Carey one too).
Muppets Christmas Carol (Ok, xmas carol is my favourite story of all time. Dickens, you're a god).
Scrooged
Elf,
Christmas with the kranks (cheesey I know!)
Home Alone 1 & 2 (for the music and decorations. Especially Rockafella xmas tree)
Polar Express
The Snowman
Nightmare before christmas
The Santa Clause
Santa Claus the Movie (great memories of watching this as a child)
Love Actually
Fred Claus

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Christian

jeremy m
12-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi there,

I know this has probably been done to death, but be gentle with me as I am new here!

Every year, without fail, a few days before Christmas, I dust off my favourite Christmas movies and watch them all. I try to add to my collection each year, but must confess I've never watched the classics (wonderful life, white christmas, original miracle on 34th st etc) from fear that I won't enjoy them as they will be dated.

However, each time I google the best christmas movies, I am surprised that Die Hard makes the list? As much as I love this film (I am a bloke afterall!) I wouldn't consider it a Christmas movie.

So just wanted to share with you the movies that make me feel good and gives me that warm glow inside, call Christmas spirit. In no particular order:

A Christmas Carol (any of them. I love them all. Alex Simms is the best, but I love Jim Carey one too).
Muppets Christmas Carol (Ok, xmas carol is my favourite story of all time. Dickens, you're a god).
Scrooged
Elf,
Christmas with the kranks (cheesey I know!)
Home Alone 1 & 2 (for the music and decorations. Especially Rockafella xmas tree)
Polar Express
The Snowman
Nightmare before christmas
The Santa Clause
Santa Claus the Movie (great memories of watching this as a child)
Love Actually
Fred Claus

Christian

welcome to christmas forums,God Bless you:merrychristmas::waving:

ornamentmaven
12-19-2010, 06:21 AM
The classics are better than most of the more recent movies. You are doing yourself an injustice by not watching them! Get yourself "Its a Wonderful Life", "Holiday Inn" and "Miracle on 34th Street" today!

olga
01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
The classics are better than most of the more recent movies. You are doing yourself an injustice by not watching them! Get yourself "Its a Wonderful Life", "Holiday Inn" and "Miracle on 34th Street" today!

I would add White Christmas, as well, with Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye..
Nice movie with wonderful/amazing songs!!!!!

:merrychristmas:

ornamentmaven
01-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Yes definitely White Christmas too

Clueless in Seattle
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi there,

Hi Christian!

One of my favorite Christmas movies (well, not exactly a "movie," it was a TV show broadcast in the mid-sixties) is "A Christmas Memory" with Geraldine Paige.

I have a VHS recorded off the air when it was rebroadcast in the 80s.

There are some DVDs of it available on the web and I wonder about their quality. Have any of you ever watched the DVD version? I think they may be amateur transfers from VHS:

XmasDVD
01-23-2011, 08:46 PM
"A Christmas Memory" (1966)

Part 1 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0vjTfVyZco)
Part 2 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGEl6npc2xY)
Part 3 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4goSjiE3pI)
Part 4 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXaB6tiWb6M)
Part 5 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TNwHsDVNg)
Part 6 of 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Icm1O3rqstE)

SnowAngel
02-10-2011, 12:58 AM
A Christmas Story

MinnesotaMike
02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Personally, "It's a Wonderful Life". With the kids, "Polar Express".

olga
02-24-2011, 05:27 PM
And Muppet Christmas Carol...

http://allforchristmas.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/muppet-christmas-carol.jpg?w=314&h=475

mikaldinho
03-06-2011, 06:48 AM
The Polar Express
Rudolph the red nose reindeer
are my favourites :)

Higbee'sWindow
03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
My personal favourite is 'A Christmas Story'.

Followed by 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation'.

Then 'Garfield's Christmas', 'The Year without a Santa Claus', 'Santa Claus is Coming to Town'.

Who am I kidding, I love them all.

Well, except for 'Santa Claus Conquers the Martians'.

Greetings !
03-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Bishops Wife is most definitely one of my faves, as is Preacher's Wife.

MinnesotaMike
03-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Bishops Wife is most definitely one of my faves, as is Preacher's Wife.

Never heard of either one. :sad elf:

Greetings !
03-31-2011, 09:15 AM
Never heard of either one. :sad elf:Really? You're probably too young to remember Bishops Wife with Cary Grant. In 1996, they did a re-make as The Preachers Wife starring Denzel Washington and Whitney Houston. They're both really good.

MinnesotaMike
04-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Really? You're probably too young to remember Bishops Wife with Cary Grant. In 1996, they did a re-make as The Preachers Wife starring Denzel Washington and Whitney Houston. They're both really good.

I remember the remake. I didn't realize they were Christmas movies though. If they're that good, I need to check them out. ps...I'm not as young as you probably think.

Greetings !
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
I remember the remake. I didn't realize they were Christmas movies though. If they're that good, I need to check them out. ps...I'm not as young as you probably think.
Hmmm, maybe you're right about the Christmas Movie thing - I just assumed they were, because they're only televised during the season...

ornamentmaven
04-03-2011, 08:02 AM
They relate to Christmas. I love The Bishops Wife. I only saw part of the other

MinnesotaMike
04-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Hmmm, maybe you're right about the Christmas Movie thing - I just assumed they were, because they're only televised during the season...

Well...there is probably a lot of truth to that. If you think about it, It's a Wonderful Life isn't specifically a "Christmas movie" either, but it's become SO closely associated with it anyway. I think we will have to try to watch it sometime. I bet we'd love it.

jstorms
04-28-2011, 02:07 AM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is the all-time, best Christmas movie. I wore out 2 VHS copies, have 2 DVD copies, the Blu-Ray and even the limited edition soundtrack.

After that it's
* Christmas Story
* Elf
* Deck the Hall's

Of course there are the classics:
* Santa Claus is coming to Town
* Rudolph
* Grinch (old one)

That new Prep and Landing was really cute too.

HollyJolly
04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Absolute favorites:

The Santa Clause I, II & III
Christmas with the Kranks
Deck the Halls

Also, love, love, love ALL of the Rankin Bass shows -- Santa Claus is coming to town, A Year without a Santa Claus, Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, the list goes on...as does my DVD collection!
:santa2:

christmasislove
06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I love It's a Wonderful Life! Also, My family & I always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation as Well as a Christmas Carol. I have always LOVED How the Grinch Stole Christmas & one of the newest "christmas" movies i really love is The Family Stone. It's wonderful! :carols::presents3:

ornamentmaven
06-10-2011, 03:36 AM
The Family Stone is a fantastic movie

Chazz
06-14-2011, 03:42 AM
I've always loved A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. In recent years, though, I've added two other movies to my list of favorite Christmas movies -- Fred Claus (thanks to a friend of mine in Indianapolis for introducing me to that one) and The Family Stone (thanks to my wife for suggesting I watch that and then later buying it for me). It's cool to see that others like The Family Stone also, considering it doesn't get any kind of 24-hour marathon during the holiday season.

celticfemale
07-29-2011, 06:36 AM
Here are some of my favorites which have not already been named:
All I Want for Christmas (1989?)
THe Besst Christmas Pageant Ever (1980's - TV Special on DVD)
Christmas in Connecticut (1940's - Classic)
Four Christmases
A Hobo's Christmas (1980's - TV Movie but on DVD)
If You Believe
I'll Be Home for Christmas (1990's - Disney)
Jack Frost
Jingle All the Way
Mickey's Christmas CArol (Disney - also has "Small One" on the DVD adn is good as well)
Surviving Christmas
This Christmas
Nestor the Long-Eared Donkey