PDA

View Full Version : the upside-down Christmas tree

mesmark
12-01-2010, 07:24 AM
Can someone help me out? I'm in Japan and the Christmas catalogs here have a listing with Christmas trees that are, for lack of a better term, upside-down. They come down in a V shape. What are these called?

They look kind of cool but certainly not traditional. Does anyone have one of these?

jeremy m
12-01-2010, 07:44 AM
Can someone help me out? I'm in Japan and the Christmas catalogs here have a listing with Christmas trees that are, for lack of a better term, upside-down. They come down in a V shape. What are these called?

They look kind of cool but certainly not traditional. Does anyone have one of these?

i don't have one but i seen those before(like long time ago at the store),they are mounted on the ceiling right? if not,the one i saw back then was mounted on the ceiling(seriously)..

like what's a point,just turn your own tree upside down and there you go

steph535
12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I have seen some of them online at different merchants' websites. As far as I know, they are just called upside-down Christmas trees. And yes, they do look like they are fastened somehow to the ceiling. I have never seen any in person and I don't know anyone who has one. They are supposed to be good for saving space, as they take up very little room where people might be. I don't like them, I think they are too strange looking. But, that's just my opinion. Were you thinking of getting one? I know space is an issue in Japan.

mesmark
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Thanks! No, I'm not planning on getting one. :D I've already got 3 Christmas trees all upright.

I teach English over here and I sometimes get questions about things like this. It was just out of my own interest in case someone asks. I was also wondering if it was a thing that was just available in Japan. Sometimes "nontraditional" things can catch on here more so than in places where Christmas is rather long standing. So getting Japanese people to buy an upside-down Christmas tree might be easier than say someone in the States or Europe.

I think the ones I saw had a base at the bottom. I was thinking they'd be easy to tip over. Maybe they were fastened to the ceiling ... I'm going to go back and check the catalog.

ornamentmaven
12-01-2010, 11:03 AM
They are not nice!!!

mesmark
12-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Here's the ad:
http://www.printwithmypic.com/blog/images/upsidedown_christmas_tree.jpg

It sells for about $120. Here, it's called a bottom-up Christmas tree.

They also have some half Christmas trees here to save space. They are the regular cone shape, but cut in half so that they can be pushed flat up against the wall.

MissSantaClaus
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
I don't like upside down Christmas trees.

steph535
12-02-2010, 09:31 AM
I have also seen the half Christmas trees online. I think I would rather have a nice table top tree than a half tree. And if I had to make a choice between the half tree and an upside-down tree, I would choose the half tree. I know they are both meant to save space, but we live in a tiny apartment, and I still have a 7 1/2 ft full size tree. Even if I have to move some furniture into the bedrooms just to make room, I'm going to have my tree, lol. I would just never ever have an upside-down tree. I don't know.... it's just SO unconventional to the point that it almost seems anti-Christmas.

SilverBells
12-02-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't like them.

Merry Christmas Darling
12-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Here's the ad:
They also have some half Christmas trees here to save space. They are the regular cone shape, but cut in half so that they can be pushed flat up against the wall.

I understand ones that can be pushed against a wall if your space is small. I hate upside down trees. They look stupid to me.

Papa_Christmas
12-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Never met a Christmas tree I didn't like.:elf3:

MinnesotaMike
12-03-2010, 06:16 AM
Sorry...but that's "NEXT LEVEL" on the Retarded scale. Two thumbs way down!

MGA828
12-03-2010, 10:39 AM
I don't like them either, they just don't look anything like Christmas. I think they are just dumb looking and look nothing like a tree. I guess the saving space does makes some sense, but if it was me, I would either move some furniture around or go for a smaller tree.

SilverBells
12-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I don't like them either, they just don't look anything like Christmas. I think they are just dumb looking and look nothing like a tree. I guess the saving space does makes some sense, but if it was me, I would either move some furniture around or go for a smaller tree.

:elf3::elf3::elf3:

gandr1212
12-05-2010, 12:22 PM
The prettiest application I've seen of the Upside down tree was a Kringle's Christmas Store at Branson. It was over a dining table with garland hanging on either side so it didn't look so ...... Here are 2 pictures. See how they used large ornaments.

Gail

HolidaySingleGirl
12-06-2010, 05:00 AM
What a silly thing!

jdeezy83
12-22-2010, 07:52 AM
these seem evil.

Merry Christmas Darling
12-22-2010, 02:16 PM
You could spray paint them brown and call them stalactites...if you like caves. :elf2:

neonpuss
12-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi - new here.
Must admit I don't like the upside down trees, but it seems they're not a new-fangled idea:

By the 12th century it became a custom, especially in Europe to hang the Fir trees upside down from the ceilings to symbolize the Holy Trinity. The Upside down Christmas Trees was also considered to be the symbol of Christianity. But the real history behind the hanging of the Trees upside down still remains vague. Presently the trend of hanging a Christmas Tree has changed, because nowadays the tip of the Christmas Tree is made to point towards Heaven, as many think that an upside down Christmas tree is a sign of contempt.