PDA

View Full Version : Inflatables, Cute or Tacky?

Fezziwig
11-14-2010, 02:33 PM
What are yours guys thoughts on Inflatables? I've always thought they looked nice in the yard as long as there is only one big one or two small ones .. anything more than that and it gets a little much.

There is one nearby home and they guy has dozens of 5' Tall Toy Soldier inflatables -- like really it looks like the guy has raised an Army in the yard. Interestingly, when its all made up it doesn't look that bad but I still think that more than one or two is too many.

When the guy does it this year I will take a picture to post for you guys.

lynnenc
11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
not my style of decorating at all but then a lot of people might not like my over abundance of interior decorating - beauty is in the eye of the beholder .......

Lynne:christmastree:

angelpugs2
11-14-2010, 04:32 PM
I think some are nice if displayed nicely as i decorate my whole house even have a tree in my new kitchen as i moved and have a bigger home lots to decorate it all looks nice.:santa1:

MinnesotaMike
11-14-2010, 09:51 PM
However anyone wants to decorate for the holidays is completely up to them. Whether or not I would do it, certainly doesn't mean it's not festive for others. Just sayin'.

MinnesotaMike
11-14-2010, 09:52 PM
So...to answer the question. Neither and both. :)

ornamentmaven
11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
I think they are okay. They really aren't my style. They look fine when they are inflated but when they aren't- it just looks like dead animals laying all over the place. I also don't like to see alot of them in one yard. There is a house near ours that puts up about 20 of them. Half of them are up already and inflated!

MinnesotaMike
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
I also am not a huge fan. I don't mind looking at them, but I don't think I'd ever own any. Just wouldn't flow with my ideas on exterior holiday lighting.

JollyElfDC
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
I only seem to like them if they are out in the country. They seem to look better in big spaces. I think they can make urban or suburban yards look cluttered. That being said, my parents (who don't live in the country) own one. They used to decorate up for the holidays, but as they get older less and less decorating seems to be happening. I think they bought the inflatable to make decorating easier. Instead of putting lights all over the yard, they just have one big decoration.

ornamentmaven
11-14-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes they must be so much easier. I can understand that!

SilverBells
11-15-2010, 12:00 AM
I don't mind them. They're not my style though.

ladyice
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I don't mind one or two, I think when the whole yard is filled with them they look kind of bad.

I like displays and lights moreso, with one or two at the most that add to what's there.

MinnesotaMike
11-17-2010, 11:51 PM
They certainly must be growing in popularity because there are TONS of them for sale these days!!

stephmcuk
11-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Well i dont have any, not really my style but they dont bother me. My neighbour about 4 houses down has put there decs up and they have a massive inflatable snow globe set up which is sweet.

ornamentmaven
11-18-2010, 01:19 AM
The snow globes and the merry-go-rounds are cute!

HolidaySingleGirl
11-18-2010, 07:18 AM
I would say tacky but it depends on how it looks.

Moley
11-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Tacky.

MinnesotaMike
11-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Tacky.

Everything's tacky when you live in a hole. :elf2:

domoMKIV
11-27-2010, 09:05 AM
I like them. We had a snowman family that decided to give up this year. We might replace it with an LED globe.

ldiliberto
11-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Some of the inflatables are tacky if you use more than one. But, we have been using them for a couple years, very easy and quick to setup. Maybe we are just lazy.

LollipopPugs
11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
I'd love to have the snowglobe one. Other than that, it's really not my style but, I like whatever decorations anyone else puts up. I appreciate the work they go through and I know that they're enjoying themselves and must love the holidays. Decorations in the yard usually mean people in the holiday mood live there and I like that. :gingerhouse:

Merry Christmas Darling
11-14-2012, 05:27 AM
I don't mind them when they are actually inflated. When they're spread out on the ground it certainly does look tacky. If you want to see what I really love, here is one example:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Outdoors/ChristmasPotteryBarn2012.jpg
POTTERY BARN

MisreadAlert
11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
My neighbor has a huge inflatable snow globe; blows snow all around inside it! It's quite cumbersome in their yard, but it's very cool to see every night.

ornamentmaven
11-14-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't mind them when they are actually inflated. When they're spread out on the ground it certainly does look tacky. If you want to see what I really love, here is one example:

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/DiademRose/Christmas%20Outdoors/ChristmasPotteryBarn2012.jpg
POTTERY BARN

Yes MW - love that style! I have always said the same thing about the inflatables - they look like dead animals all over the yard when they aren't inflated!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2012, 12:46 AM
My neighbor has a huge inflatable snow globe; blows snow all around inside it! It's quite cumbersome in their yard, but it's very cool to see every night.

I've seen one of those somewhere. I'm a huge fan of snow globes!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Yes MW - love that style! I have always said the same thing about the inflatables - they look like dead animals all over the yard when they aren't inflated!

My house doesn't look as great as the POTTERY BARN photo. I'd have to find a bag of money to buy all that. But I've saved the picture for inspiration.

DayTek
11-15-2012, 02:23 PM
I think they are cute. A few look kind of odd, but I like seeing them for the most part. A bigger yard helps, though. Or else it looks a little cluttered.

LollipopPugs
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM

POTTERY BARN

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love this style too..... maybe someday for me ;)

ornamentmaven
11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
My neighbor has an inflatable Turkey in his yard for Thansksgiving and it does look cute!

Cinder
11-17-2012, 06:00 PM
It depends on what they look like. I think some are cute and some aren't.

HolidaySeason
11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Whilst I prefer more subtle decorations, I also must admit I quite like coming across houses that decorate in a spectacular fashion. In other words, I prefer decoration like this:

But, I can't help loving houses like this as well:

I suppose it's just appreciation of Christmas in very different ways! ;)

steph535
11-19-2012, 10:17 PM
I tried quoting HolidaySeason's post but, for some reason, after adding my message and trying to post it, I just got odd messages saying my message was too short (which it wasn't) and was I sure I wanted to leave the page, which I did and then my message didn't show up. haven't had any trouble before. hmmm....

anyway, HolidaySeason, I agree with you about appreciating different tastes in celebrating Christmas. however, when I look at that second house, I can't help but giggle because it is just SO tacky. No wonder it is listed under 'how not to decorate' lol

JollyElfDC
11-21-2012, 12:07 AM
I tried quoting HolidaySeason's post but, for some reason, after adding my message and trying to post it, I just got odd messages saying my message was too short (which is wasn't) and was I sure I wanted to leave the page, which I did and then my message didn't show up. haven't had any trouble before. hmmm....

anyway, HolidaySeason, I agree with you about appreciating different tastes in celebrating Christmas. however, when I look at that second house, I can't help but giggle because it is just SO tacky. No wonder it is listed under 'how not to decorate' lol

The second house reminds me of Toontown at Disneyland.

steph535
11-21-2012, 02:17 AM
The second house reminds me of Toontown at Disneyland.

lol, yes

davidchannal
07-06-2016, 08:31 AM
Cute of course, also they can be easily set up and stored.

polrwht07
07-07-2016, 02:33 PM
To me, and this is just my opinion, it's kind of a cheat on decorating. You unbox it, unroll it, plug it in, and let it go... Seems like an easy way to fill your yard and house space up with decorations. I mean it's their option to do so, but I pass on them every year, just not my thing.

wstaple
07-07-2016, 03:24 PM
First of all, the Pottery Barn picture is beautiful. I may try to incorporate some of that into my front porch this year. Second, the picture with the lights lining the drive is very nice. I bought enough (I hope!) lights and stakes to do that to our driveway this year. Third, the inflatables in the picture look like they're making the house cave in. I don't mind the inflatables. Everyone should decorate as they see fit. But that does appear to be a bit much.

ornamentmaven
07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
The inflatables can be cute, if done right. One or two at most - at any one time. Stick with a theme - the inflatables need to complement the rest of your decorations. I really do not like to see the inflatables lying on the ground when they are not turned on. It looks like something died!

December Cheesecake
09-15-2016, 09:22 AM
It depends on how the inflatables are displayed, i have seen really nice and simple lights displays with the inflatable as the centre piece and i have seen them displayed in a way which goes beyond tacky :no:

Starmie
10-14-2016, 09:22 AM
Cute OF COURSE!!

December Cheesecake
10-14-2016, 09:31 AM
Went to my local garden centre and my little girl fell in love with their inflatable Santa and Rudolf sleigh :reindeer2:

Elf_Erv
10-15-2016, 04:35 PM
inflatables are prolific here but I'm not a fan Seems like they are getting larger each year

ChantelleJoy
11-04-2016, 01:32 PM
I LOVE THEM!!!! :D They are tacky, but I have a soft spot for tacky.

Bishop1954
06-03-2021, 01:52 PM
I use a mix of inflatables and other items, as my yard changes every year. For myself, I keep them at 6' tall or less, with the occasional exception of an arch. :christmastree:

aalya
06-20-2021, 09:43 AM
I used inflatable for my decoration. It looks really good.

lizziesnow123
06-20-2021, 10:25 AM
I use to have an inflatable snowman and I put it up every year, It was a pain to make it stay up with out it falling .Once it was in place it look great. But still a pain. Then one year I decided to donate it cause it was such a pain. When the grandkids came and didn't see it, they were so disappointed. They asked where it was, why wasn't frosty up, and so on...I felt so bad, I had to get another one....it can still be a pain, but I do it for the grandkids and all who got use to seeing frosty....lol

I think its Christmas time , let this guy with all the inflatables have his fun, and enjoy decorating. whether they might look tacky or clutter, for others they might be enjoyable to look at when taking a walk or driving bye, but at least he has the Christmas spirit and sharing in his own way for all to see at night...:treedance:

Bishop1954
06-25-2021, 01:24 PM
I like them unless they are too big. 9' Santa? I don't think so... lol :home:

baylisjae
08-30-2021, 08:28 PM
They certainly must be growing in popularity because there are TONS of them for sale these days!!

Bishop1954
08-31-2021, 07:20 PM
I think one of the reasons for their popularity is that they can be compressed down for storage. Unlike say blow-molds... :tree1:

Mistletoe
09-01-2021, 12:52 AM
I use to have an inflatable snowman and I put it up every year, It was a pain to make it stay up with out it falling .Once it was in place it look great. But still a pain. Then one year I decided to donate it cause it was such a pain. When the grandkids came and didn't see it, they were so disappointed. They asked where it was, why wasn't frosty up, and so on...I felt so bad, I had to get another one....it can still be a pain, but I do it for the grandkids and all who got use to seeing frosty....lol

I think its Christmas time , let this guy with all the inflatables have his fun, and enjoy decorating. whether they might look tacky or clutter, for others they might be enjoyable to look at when taking a walk or driving bye, but at least he has the Christmas spirit and sharing in his own way for all to see at night...:treedance:
I'd be one of the people that would have been sad that you no longer had your Frosty- so I thank you for keeping it up on behalf of others like me!

And I agree- at least the guy was spreading Christmas cheer. Enthusiasm is so nice to see, even if it's not to your taste.

Bishop1954
09-02-2021, 02:57 PM
I know that our street is on the city "Limo" tour and one of the drivers commented to me that he always enjoys the fact that every year is different... :candycane1:

Mistletoe
09-03-2021, 12:32 AM
I know that our street is on the city "Limo" tour and one of the drivers commented to me that he always enjoys the fact that every year is different... :candycane1:
Nice to know that your 'work' is being noticed and appreciated. :santa:

Bishop1954
09-10-2021, 05:13 PM
Yes, it is and this year, if all goes well, I'll have a photo op with Santa (yes, an inflatable one... lol)... :xmascandycane:

Mistletoe
09-14-2021, 01:21 AM
Yes, it is and this year, if all goes well, I'll have a photo op with Santa (yes, an inflatable one... lol)... :xmascandycane:
Good luck with it! :christmastree:

Bishop1954
09-17-2021, 05:53 AM
Thanks. If it comes off, I'll post a photo... :santasmile:

Mistletoe
11-09-2021, 03:14 AM
Speaking of inflatables, I noticed this Halloween that a good amount of people had them inflated during the day. I liked seeing them.

Bishop1954
11-10-2021, 04:43 PM
I do the same. Let's the people know that there is another place to stop by for treats... :santa2:

Kage
11-15-2021, 04:28 PM
You can never go wrong with things like those on Christmas. It warms my heart seeing things like that driving around town.

Bishop1954
11-16-2021, 03:16 PM
Changed my mind on the Santa. I found an outdoor "fabric" one that looks much better. I'll have an inflatable 'countdown' snowman at his side... :elf3:

sharonDavis
11-17-2021, 05:49 PM
Some of them look cute but they don't look great when they are deflated on the ground :) Also more wires needed.

Bishop1954
11-17-2021, 07:05 PM
Ahhh, but think of the surprise when someone who saw them on the ground returns to find them up and filling the yard... :xmaswink:

Mistletoe
11-18-2021, 03:38 AM
Some of them look cute but they don't look great when they are deflated on the ground :) Also more wires needed.
That's why I was happy to see them inflated during the day. Besides, it let's people see the decorations who don't go out at night. :p

Are they big energy draws?

Bishop1954
11-20-2021, 04:41 PM
Hard to tell, since I have so many lights in the yard as well... :yahoo:

Mistletoe
04-08-2022, 10:04 PM
Does anyone own the Misfit Toys inflatable? So nostalgic!

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OP.0TWKRIDHSnwDlA474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&bw=0&bc=FFFFFF&w=140&h=140&qlt=100&dpr=1&c=17

Bishop1954
04-10-2022, 03:06 PM
No, but they do look like fun. Maybe one day I'll have an entire Rudolph front yard... lol This year it will be a snowman family reunion. :snowman:

Mistletoe
04-14-2022, 12:23 AM
No, but they do look like fun. Maybe one day I'll have an entire Rudolph front yard... lol This year it will be a snowman family reunion. :snowman:
That sounds cozy- how many do you have?

Bishop1954
04-14-2022, 04:07 PM
Three singles and two families... so far... lol :snowman:

polrwht07
08-12-2022, 04:20 PM
I think like most things they can be over done, but it's a matter of taste, I don't think they look bad and if they bring the people who use them joy then more power to them.

Bishop1954
08-13-2022, 01:21 PM
I think like most things they can be over done, but it's a matter of taste, I don't think they look bad and if they bring the people who use them joy then more power to them.

Very true. The one really nice thing about them is how well they pack away when the season is over... :dizzy:

drummerdude
10-26-2022, 01:29 AM
I have inflatables but I can't display them now because my neighbors dogs will tear them up.

Bishop1954
10-29-2022, 01:47 PM
I like them mixed with other yard items, like trees, garland and lighted gifts... :tree:

Mistletoe
11-02-2022, 02:46 AM
I have inflatables but I can't display them now because my neighbors dogs will tear them up.
I hope your neighbors appreciate the sacrifice you're making!

HighPriestessIce
11-02-2022, 07:48 PM
Not my personal style but I think they're suited to christmas more than other holidays.

Bishop1954
11-03-2022, 01:07 PM
Mine are all here and ready to go up, along with lights, blow molds & signs... :santahat:

drummerdude
11-05-2022, 01:30 AM
I hope your neighbors appreciate the sacrifice you're making!

It's disappointing. The dog actually shredded someone's package in my yard today so I can imagine what it would do to my inflatables.

Bishop1954
11-08-2022, 01:46 PM
That is rough. We have tons of people walking dogs by our display over the years, but no damage was done. :xmaswink:

Mistletoe
11-09-2022, 04:25 AM
It's disappointing. The dog actually shredded someone's package in my yard today so I can imagine what it would do to my inflatables.
Is the dog accidentally getting out? Is your neighbor apologetic? I can see why you don't want to risk putting the inflatables out.

Do you have outdoor lights or other outdoor decorations?

Bishop1954
11-09-2022, 01:19 PM
Just got a new snowman inflatable to add to the "Snowman Reunion" design for this year... :snowman:

Mistletoe
11-10-2022, 03:05 AM
Just got a new snowman inflatable to add to the "Snowman Reunion" design for this year... :snowman:
How many in total now?

drummerdude
11-10-2022, 04:09 AM
Is the dog accidentally getting out? Is your neighbor apologetic? I can see why you don't want to risk putting the inflatables out.

Do you have outdoor lights or other outdoor decorations?

They let the dog run loose even after it bit someone. They've been made aware of what it's doing.

I have been putting icicle lights on the gutters but I thought about going with the C9 lights this year. My dad put those on the gutters when I was little so it reminds me of that.

Mistletoe, do you decorate outdoors?

drummerdude
11-10-2022, 04:13 AM

I saw a snowman inflatable set up in the at home store that is 20' tall. It was a little too tall for the ceiling.

Bishop, do you have one that big?

I love blow molds. Especially the big candles that say NOEL on them.

Bishop1954
11-11-2022, 04:37 PM
How many in total now?

Six inflatables make up the family gathering, plus lights and other yard decorations... :treedance:

Elf_Erv
11-12-2022, 11:51 PM
no likey

Bishop1954
11-13-2022, 05:05 PM
To each their own my friend. I get a ton of compliments... :santasmile:

Mistletoe
11-14-2022, 03:18 AM
They let the dog run loose even after it bit someone. They've been made aware of what it's doing.

I have been putting icicle lights on the gutters but I thought about going with the C9 lights this year. My dad put those on the gutters when I was little so it reminds me of that.

Mistletoe, do you decorate outdoors?
We also have a neighbor that let their dog run loose. It used to come into our yard regularly and terrorize my nephew. The dog ended up biting someone who was walking past their house. It was reported and the dog had to be put down. I feel for you.

The only thing I do outdoors is put lights on the front and side bushes. They're so big it takes me 3 hours. Last year I tried some C9's because they have happy memories for me too. I started with LED, but they were WAY too bright, so I switched to the incandescent, which were much better. This year I've added purple bulbs, but I'm nervous that they're going to look Eastery, instead of the Charlie Brown fun I was picturing. With those I'm putting white mini lights on the shorter (over 5' high) front bushes. I'm looking forward to seeing it all lit.

Mistletoe
11-14-2022, 03:23 AM
I love blow molds. Especially the big candles that say NOEL on them.
I love blow molds, too- another nostalgic thing.

Bishop1954
11-14-2022, 02:15 PM
I have a couple of those candles and another two "Wooden" soldiers that are blow molds. :gingerhouse:

Elf_Erv
09-25-2023, 05:00 PM
don't like them :xmaseyeroll:

Bishop1954
09-26-2023, 10:40 PM
I use a combination. What I do like best about them is that you can get a nice big inflatable into a very small box, unlike blow molds for instance... :snowman:

Elf_Erv
10-29-2023, 08:14 PM
wind and ice wiped out the neighbors inflatables last year, they don't last:snowman:

Bishop1954
11-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Yeah, you most certainly have to stay on top of them. But, when the inevitable comes, like last year's real tree, it will be time for a new one... :santa2: