PDA

View Full Version : what makes the perfect hot chocolate?

mikaldinho
10-26-2010, 06:32 PM
I wanna know.

It is getting quite cold around here where i live, and i wanna stay warm. Plus I like chocolate.

Anyone got any great recipes for it?

Thanks

-Mike

tinkerbell2
10-30-2010, 04:17 AM
I wanna know.

It is getting quite cold around here where i live, and i wanna stay warm. Plus I like chocolate.

Thanks

-Mike

Sorry I can't help there cause I don;t like it..:elf1::elf1:

mikaldinho
10-30-2010, 04:24 AM
that helps :P

tinkerbell2
10-30-2010, 04:51 AM
that helps :P

Sorry...:elf1:

mikaldinho
10-30-2010, 05:32 AM
no problem :)

but if there is anyone out there who knows a answer to this question... please let me know it :)

Elf_Erv
10-30-2010, 08:50 AM
makes 4 servings

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup half-and-half cream

1. Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.

mikaldinho
10-30-2010, 06:20 PM
Thank you so much. I will try this now, and will tell you what i think of it later :)

Thanks again,
Mike :)

Daddy
11-10-2010, 02:53 PM
No step by step recipe, but during the holidays, we love to make hot cocoa and insert a cinnamon stick or candy cane in the mug for some kick.

Oh yeah, we always use organic whole milk (NEVER water or skim milk) and only high quality cocoa powder, like Ghirardelli or Godiva.

SilverBells
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM
makes 4 servings

3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups milk

1. Combine the cocoa, sugar and pinch of salt in a saucepan. Blend in the boiling water. Bring this mixture to an easy boil while you stir. Simmer and stir for about 2 minutes. Watch that it doesn't scorch. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of milk and heat until very hot, but do not boil! Remove from heat and add vanilla. Divide between 4 mugs. Add the cream to the mugs of cocoa to cool it to drinking temperature.

Looks really good. I'll try it :)

nix
11-17-2010, 11:15 PM
i'll try this one too, but is there any ready made stuff that you can just put in the microwave and the result is not too disappointing?

SnowAngel
01-14-2011, 01:08 AM
I love simple and delectable recipes like this. I will try this also.

cujiine
07-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I don't know how I came up with this because I've never had it in a restaurant or anything, but I love making just a normal hot chocolate however you normally do it, it even works with the powdered mix but it's better with fresh. Around the holidays, they sell flavored seasonal coffee creamers and I love to add a little bit of the pumpkin pie spice creamer. It makes it a little creamier and it gives it an extra level of flavor. :)

HollyJolly
08-02-2011, 10:22 PM
i'll try this one too, but is there any ready made stuff that you can just put in the microwave and the result is not too disappointing?

For me...Starbucks has the best...nothing like having a hot venti (large) hot chocolate from SB and riding around looking at Christmas lights...oh, I am getting excited!!! :yahoo:

*Snowflake*
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
makes 4 servings

3/4 cup white sugar
1 pinch salt
1/3 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups milk

ok,maybe weird question but how big cup I have to take for measure ingredients?

ornamentmaven
08-25-2011, 02:44 AM
A cup is a standard measurement here in USA. It is equal to 8 fluid ounces which I think is equivalent to approx. 235 ml.

*Snowflake*
08-25-2011, 04:17 PM
A cup is a standard measurement here in USA. It is equal to 8 fluid ounces which I think is equivalent to approx. 235 ml.

Thank you ornamentmaven,didn't know that:elf3:

leah
08-26-2011, 08:07 AM
My mom makes the best hot chocolate ever. I have no idea what her recipe is, though. Wish I did, lol. I may have to get it.
But I suggest whatever recipe you use, use milk, not water. It makes it so much better.

stephmcuk
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
I think my hot chocolate is pretty nice!

nothing special i just use the cadburys one made with warm milk. then i put spray cream and marshmellows on it....its such a treat

thomas.kevin
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Nice tips ...
it helps and really works!! thanks

Christmas_mama
09-15-2011, 05:02 PM
I fancy a hot chocolate now! You can get a pretty nice result using a hot chocolate powder. If it's a 'just-add-water' instant (although made with boiled full fat milk is clearly superior!) you can get a good taste by mixing the powder with a little cold milk first to make a paste. That way when you add the hot water you don't have trouble disolving all the powder, you get the most out of the taste and you don't end up with bits of powder floating around in your drink and that dissapointing half-water-half-chocolate weak choccy taste that some instants can bring. If it's to your taste, adding half a teaspoon of sugar can be nice, too.

I personally like to use Divine Fairtrade Cocoa powder. I add 3 heaped teaspoons of Cocoa powder and 1 heaped tea spoon of sugar (or more sugar if you have a sweet tooth). Mix with a small amount of milk, water or coffee creamer to wet the powder into a paste. Boil a cup (UK cup, not USA measurement) or mug of milk in a saucepan. Bring it to the boil, stirring continuously to prevent it burning on the bottom. Once boiling remove from heat. Pour a small amount of the hot milk into the cup and stir until all the chocolate paste is mixed well with the hot milk, then add the rest of the milk whilst stirring. This creates a nice smooth consistency and ensures there is no lumps or undisolved powder in the mixture. It also usually leaves me with a nice creamy froth on the top, too :elf1:

However it's made, it's GOT to have a nice large serving of whipped cream on top and a flake on the side. Mmm Mmm Mmm! I really want one now, but it will kill my pre-Christmas diet :santahat:

sueiepie
09-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Has anybody tried the hot chocolate made from a tassimo machine? I like the 'milka' variety, its always just right and then you can add your own whipped cream :)

mina553
11-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I wanna know.

Thanks

-Mike

i think its the marshmellows but here is 1 u can try
:elf3:
Step 1: You will need
•1 mug
•1 small saucepan
•1 teaspoon
•1 whisk
•1 grater
•300ml milk
•3 heaped teaspoons instant hot chocolate powder
•some ground cinnamon
•a piece milk chocolate

Step 2: Milk
Fill a mug with 300ml of milk. Pour about 3 quarters into a pan, and keep the rest back in the mug.

Step 3: Paste
Add 3 heaped teaspoon of hot chocolate powder to the mug. Stir it into a smooth paste.

HANDY HINT
Add a sprinkle of cinnamon for a warming flavour boost. Stir it in well.

Step 4: Froth
Place the pan over a medium heat. Heat the milk for about 3 minutes. When it's hot, whisk until it's frothy.

Step 5: Pour
Pour the hot milk back into the mug. Stir well.

HANDY HINT
For a really indulgent treat, grate a little milk chocolate over the mug

Step 8: Serve
and serve

:gingerhouse:

Stacey.
11-29-2011, 04:48 AM
Marshmallows <3