PDA

View Full Version : At the Mall Yesterday --- It's Coming!!!

ChantelleJoy
10-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Walked through the Mall yesterday and saw this kiosk set up, it's really just around the corner, isn't it!

:santa-smiley:

HolidaySingleGirl
10-21-2010, 06:21 AM
Christmas will come and go too fast again!

*Snowflake*
10-23-2010, 12:40 AM
Christmas will come and go too fast again!

so true,don"t like it at all:elf2:
this is the reason why we have to enjoy Christmas before it comes:elf1:

Fezziwig
10-23-2010, 06:59 AM
so true,don"t like it at all:elf2:
this is the reason why we have to enjoy Christmas before it comes:elf1:

Agreed

Moley
10-23-2010, 05:30 PM
You only get a kiosk and not a full-on Grotto?

CarolingCaroling
10-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Yes! I could cry for joy when I see the malls and stores 'decking the halls!'

ornamentmaven
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Mole - I'm not sure what you mean by "grotto"? We have kiosks, special Christmas stores (some open year round), regular stores that become all about Christmas, holiday boutiques and special markets. If you mean just stores that sell ornaments, they are all over the place. I think the kiosk was just mentioned as a sign of Christmas. These particular kiosks sell personalized ornaments tht they lbel as you watch.

Emilia
10-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Looking good. :)

We have LOTS of candy everywhere in our shops/markets. And christmas decorations as well. :P

Moley
10-25-2010, 08:07 PM
By Grotto I mean a specially created christmas area where the little ones can go and see and be given gifts by Father Christmas. Your kiosks sound like something else, I've yet to see them in the UK.

ornamentmaven
10-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Yes we have areas designed for the children to visit with Santa. Every mall has a Santa area where kids can tell Santa what they want and if they've been good. Our village also sponsors "Breakfast with Santa" for all he local children. We have many small theme parks across the country that revolve around Santa and Christmas. Most of these parks are located in vacation areas. One in NYS is called Santa's Village, North Pole, NY. It's a very cute old fashioned park with rides, shows, Christmas shops and of course, Santa! I have never heard the term "grotto" used in reference to Santa though!

ornamentmaven
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
A kiosk is a shopping area located within a mall. It's really an oversized cart that sells one particular item. At Christmas time you see these ornament kiosks. Kiosks are popular at Christmas because they can be temporary, seasonal and rent for a comparatively low cost. Commonly you see teeshirt kiosks, handbag kiosks, remote control toys, etc.

ChantelleJoy
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Ornament Maven - thanks for answering, you're absolutely right!

This Kiosk is specifically just for ornaments - the centre court area of the mall creates a whole Santa Grotto for visits with him starting probably around mid-november. This is just the first thing I've seen set up at the mall for Xmas, so I wanted to share :)

Moley
10-26-2010, 05:05 PM
"I have never heard the term "grotto" used in reference to Santa though!"

I think it's a case of being divided by a common language! :yahoo: Grotto in the sense that we english and europeans use it derives from the root word 'grotte' meaning den or cave.

Fezziwig
10-27-2010, 07:14 AM
"I have never heard the term "grotto" used in reference to Santa though!"

I think it's a case of being divided by a common language! :yahoo: Grotto in the sense that we english and europeans use it derives from the root word 'grotte' meaning den or cave.

I am assuming a "Grotto" would be something like where children go to sit on Santa's lap and take pictures with him. It may very well be called a grotto here as well, but we American's don't really call it anything .. its just where Santa is.

Kinda like a Beaver's Den is called a "Lodge" but people might not know the actual name just call it 'the place where Beavers live'

More to the point, if you said, "I sent my kids to go see Santa in the Grotto" people would probably quickly think you were talking about the Playboy mansion. The Grotto is a famous section near the Mansion's pool where -- well, things happen.

ladyice
11-02-2010, 04:01 AM
I haven't been to the malls recently, but they should be pulling stuff out by now. The local stores around here are.. Lowes has most of their stuff out as of this weekend. I would guess Target is next.

MinnesotaMike
11-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Target by my house has had stuff out for a good month now. Lowe's, Home Depot, and Menard's are all loaded for bear!!!

EDIT: Can't forget Wal-Mart and Fleet Farm!! In MN, the stores are already ramped up pretty solid!

Christmas_mama
11-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Hehe I went to Marks and Sparks last week and they have a massive area of the shop kitted out in Christmas decorations and gifts and a grotto in the corner! It's like a wonderland in there! I took my girls in there and my eldest (2 years old) was exclaiming, "Ohhh Christmas things! LOOK Mummy, Christmas things!!" If only she knew I was just as excited as her! Hehe We took about half an hour to look at the different decorations and shake up the snow globes! lol

ornamentmaven
11-02-2010, 07:14 AM
I need to get to some stores pretty soon!

HolidaySingleGirl
11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
I was at a card store the other day and they were playing this really nice Christmas music; it was subtle and not overwhelming so you felt like it was a peaceful transition into the holiday season.

ornamentmaven
11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Went to the mall today! It was absolutely jammed packed! People were definitly Christmas shopping! I picked up one item myself!