PDA

View Full Version : Saddest Christmas song for you?

Elizah
10-07-2010, 03:56 PM
What was the saddest Christmas song for you? For me it's that song Christmas Shoes that was made into a TV movie with Rob Lowe.

Elizah
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
If you're not familiar with it, here's the video for the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNsvE33pRSw

It still makes me cry

olga
10-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I like the thread. :santa:

Well, for me, there are 2 songs actually, that make me feel sad.
The 1st one is A Soldiers Christmas letter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lavd8p8Rtzc

This time of year, it hurts the most
Daddy's not at home, I wish I could be back
She takes comfort, from a letter he wrote
She keeps them close, and she cries alone

On Christmas eve, as you go to sleep
I'll be missing you
Sending you, my love, my letter reads

A Christmas time, it hurts the most
One day you'll understand
(One day you'll understand)
I'm gone but not forgotten

On Christmas eve, as you go to sleep
I'll be missing you (I'll be missing you)
Sending you my love, My letter reads

My love will go on, my wirds come from afar
I'll be missing you, I'll be holding you

This time of year, it hurts the most
and Daddy's not at home
He'll be missing you, he'll be missing you
And on Christmas day, when you awake
I'll be missing you
Sending al my love, my letter reads

olga
10-07-2010, 04:11 PM
And the 2nd one, is the following..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAwYBBuXIyM

Third Day - Merry Christmas

There's a little girl trembling on a cold December morn
Crying for momma's arms
At an orphanage just outside a little China town
There the forgotten are

But half a world away I hang the stockings by the fire
And dream about the day when I can finally call you mine

It's Christmas time again but you're not home
Your family is here and yet you're somewhere else alone
And so tonight I pray that God will come and hold you in his arms
And tell you from my heart I wish you Merry Christmas

As I hang the tinsel on the tree and watch the twinkling lights
I'm warmed by the fire's glow
Outside the children tumble in a wonderland of white,
Make angels in the snow

But half a world away you try your best to fight the tears
And hope that heaven's angels come to carry you here

It's Christmas time again but you're not home
Your family is here and yet you're somewhere else alone
And so tonight I pray that God will come and hold you in his arms
And tell you from my heart I wish you Merry Christmas

Christmas is a time to celebrate the holy child
And we celebrate his perfect gift of love
He came to earth to give his life
And prepare a place for us
So we could have a home with him above

It's Christmas time again and now you're home
Your family is here so you will never be alone
So tonight before you go to sleep, I'll hold you in my arms
And I'll tell you from my heart, and I'll you from my heart
I wish you Merry Christmas

Moley
10-07-2010, 05:31 PM
'Lonely This Christmas' by Mud and 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis.

ornamentmaven
10-08-2010, 01:37 AM
I agree with "The Christmas Shoes". I just watched the movie again last week and cried through the entire thing!

olga
10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Even if I do not like the film (The Christmas Shoes) at all, whenever I listen to the song on radio stations, I always burst into tears.

washinsh
10-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I saw that movie for the first time last Christmas on the Lifetime channel. I thought it was good but sad as too, and the song goes well with the movie. Another song that I think is sad is "Merry Christmas Darling" by Karen Carpenter.I'm sure you can search and find it on Youtube She sang it beautifully but you can also hear the sadness in her voice. :merrychristmas:

olga
10-17-2010, 02:18 AM
Another song that I think is sad is "Merry Christmas Darling" by Karen Carpenter.I'm sure you can search and find it on Youtube She sang it beautifully but you can also hear the sadness in her voice. :merrychristmas:

I agree. I feel exactly the same whenever I listen to ''Merry Christmas darling'' by K. Carpenter.
:elf2:

ornamentmaven
10-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Karen Carpenter had a beautiful voice. Always very emotional!

Fezziwig
10-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Oh man, hands down Christmas Shoes .. really-- its depressing. I turn it off it the radio even dares play it.

mikaldinho
10-26-2010, 06:53 PM
For me it has to be Josh Groban - Believe

brings a tear to my eye whenever i hear it

devoy26
11-01-2010, 12:11 AM
What was the saddest Christmas song for you? For me it's that song Christmas Shoes that was made into a TV movie with Rob Lowe.

i think the song by greg lake " I believe in Father Christmas " is a very sad song. If you listen to the lyrics theyt paint a very tragic and depressing picture of the happiest time of year!

i cant stand christmas shoes it ruins a happy time.

Elvira1986
11-01-2010, 12:52 AM
I'll be home for Christmas is it for me. Especially the Bing Crosby version. The sentence "I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams" always gets to me. That longing for home.

A good 2nd one for me is Lonely this Christmas by Mud.

Moley
11-01-2010, 06:15 PM
"i think the song by greg lake " I believe in Father Christmas " is a very sad song."

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

But instead it just kept on raining

A veil of tears for the Virgin's birth

I remember one Christmas morning

A winters light and a distant choir

And the peal of a bell and that Christmas Tree smell

And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

They sold me a dream of Christmas

They sold me a Silent Night

And they told me a fairy story

'Till I believed in the Israelite

And I believed in Father Christmas

And I looked at the sky with excited eyes

'Till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn

And I saw him and through his disguise

I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year

All anguish pain and sadness

Leave your heart and let your road be clear

They said there'll be snow at Christmas

They said there'll be peace on Earth

Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell

The Christmas you get you deserve.

I read the lyrics differently. The song is about the expectation and the inevitable disappointment of christmas, but from

"I wish you a hopeful Christmas

I wish you a brave New Year"

The song says despite the disappointment the festive spirit endures, a point reinforced by the climatic instrumental outro.

Hear it for yourself and decide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOfXumI18A

For me it's not christmas until I've heard it.

Jordan
11-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I always thought "River" as covered by Sarah McLachlan was a sad one. Heck, that whole album has a sad, brooding mood to it. I do love it, though! :carols:

stephmcuk
11-02-2010, 01:49 AM
The band aid...do they know its christmas always makes me feel a sad when i hear it...sometimes it makes me embarrassed i am so excited and buying so much when there are people with nothing. Always brings me back down to earth when its on the radio.

ornamentmaven
11-02-2010, 02:08 AM
I agree with Elvira about "I'll be Home for Christmas" which was a wartime song and with stephmcuk and her sentiments regarding "Do they Know its Christmas Time".

Fezziwig
11-08-2010, 01:23 AM
"I'll be home for Christmas" is a rough one. In my Army days I spent Christmas 08 in the Middle East, we always had to turn that song off when it would come on Armed Forces Radio. Of course with all the modern technologies (Emails, Instant Messaging, Web Cameras) it was relatively easy to stay in touch with our loved ones back home, but that never really made the holidays much easier.

Funny enough, that year, about 2 weeks after Christmas it snowed in Iraq-- as far as I know it never snowed there ever. Some of the guys from the Southern US had never seen snow before and the Africans doing security around the city were beside themselves throwing snowballs and such. Really a Christmas Miracle .. a couple weeks .. late but a Christmas Miracle all the same.

MinnesotaMike
11-08-2010, 11:15 PM
Looks to me like my opinion here is going to unpopular, but I absolutely HATE the song Christmas Shoes. It is absolutely the most transparent attempt to "tug the heartstrings" I have ever seen. It is so unbearably campy and cheesy, that I turn it off whenever it gets played. It's almost as though the writers of the song said "let's get as sappy as we possibly can in order to sell this song". Sorry folks, but it's terrible.

Jordan
11-09-2010, 12:00 AM
You're not alone, Mike. I can't stand that song, either. I particularly can't stand the guy's voice. Sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like the singer from Nickelback.

MinnesotaMike
11-09-2010, 12:11 AM
You're not alone, Mike. I can't stand that song, either. I particularly can't stand the guy's voice. Sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like the singer from Nickelback.

Whew! Good to know I'm not out on an island all by myself on this one! :carols:

Panda
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
I love Christmas songs !! one of my favorite things about Christmas !!

MinnesotaMike
11-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Me too...except for that shoe song.

jeremy m
11-25-2010, 05:30 AM
Me too...except for that shoe song.

you meant christmas shoes...

as for me,saddest christmas song is "soldier's silent night" (got manhien steemrollar's song "silent night" song in background as the retired pastor talks about the "soldier's silent night")

boxset4less
11-25-2010, 04:16 PM
I agree with The Christmas Shoes.

MinnesotaMike
11-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I agree with The Christmas Shoes.

Agree how? That it's sad, or that it's a terible song?!

Georgie
12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Thank you Mariah for your 2004 spectacular, just as my heart was being broken :santa:

http://www.thegreatestlovesong.com/

throne
12-15-2010, 10:04 PM
+1 :)

'Lonely This Christmas' by Mud and 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis.

MinnesotaMike
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Weird...I've never even heard of that.

ornamentmaven
12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Is this the only way you can have fun???????

MinnesotaMike
12-16-2010, 11:26 PM
I can't tell who is real and who isn't anymore.

ornamentmaven
12-17-2010, 03:36 AM
I guess we should actually pity them!!!

olga
10-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Have Yourself a Merry Little Chiristmas - the first version, where Judy Garland sings the song to her little sister, in Meet Me In St. Louis.

I always get sentimental with that scene and this is one of the main reasons I find the particular song really sad.
Everytime I listen to it, I get melancholic..

christmasxmas
10-29-2011, 02:07 AM
The little boy that Santa Claus forgot

Classic Christmas
11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Looks to me like my opinion here is going to unpopular, but I absolutely HATE the song Christmas Shoes. It is absolutely the most transparent attempt to "tug the heartstrings" I have ever seen. It is so unbearably campy and cheesy, that I turn it off whenever it gets played. It's almost as though the writers of the song said "let's get as sappy as we possibly can in order to sell this song". Sorry folks, but it's terrible.

I could not agree MORE, Mike!

That song goes so far out of they way to try and become everyone's favorite emtional song that it is merely a caricature of itself.

Hands down, the worst Christmas song, EVER!

(sorry) :)

frostythesnowman
05-27-2013, 07:54 PM

i actually like THE CHRISTMAS SHOES song....:elf3:

http://youtu.be/KfAq7kxHjPk

csmith0808
08-14-2013, 09:25 PM
Something About December By Christina Perri

Santaself
05-13-2014, 12:55 AM
I find "Where are you Christmas" very sad.

olga
05-15-2014, 02:07 PM
Home, by Buble and Shelton

Santa57
09-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Have Yourself a Merry Little Chiristmas - the first version, where Judy Garland sings the song to her little sister, in Meet Me In St. Louis.

I always get sentimental with that scene and this is one of the main reasons I find the particular song really sad.
Everytime I listen to it, I get melancholic..

I've been thinking about this question, and I think I'd have to agree. It's one of those Christmass songs which can go either way, for me. Another good version of it is Karen Carpenter's.

Strange how so many of the secular carols are like that. Even "White Christmas" isn't exactly all cheer and joy, reflecting on memories. I love this topic!

MinnesotaMike
09-19-2014, 06:39 PM
My wife thinks "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas is terrible. She thinks it sounds SO depressing the way it's sung.

ornamentmaven
09-20-2014, 03:24 PM
My wife thinks "Christmas Time Is Here" from A Charlie Brown Christmas is terrible. She thinks it sounds SO depressing the way it's sung.

It does sound rather depressing!

Santa57
09-20-2014, 04:09 PM

LOL, I hadn't thought of it, but it _does_ sound that way. Considering Charlie Brown's outlook, that may not have been accidental! :carols:

olga
09-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Most of album is like that, I agree with all of you.. that is the main reason I got the cd a few years ago.. Its also all that quite melancholy of the season... :xmascandycane:

wstaple
09-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Although it's one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg is a sad one. Bumping into an old love on Christmas Eve, catching up, talking about old times, wondering what might have been. For those of us who let that one true love slip away......:elf2:

ornamentmaven
09-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Although it's one of my favorite Christmas songs, "Same Old Lang Syne" by Dan Fogelberg is a sad one. Bumping into an old love on Christmas Eve, catching up, talking about old times, wondering what might have been. For those of us who let that one true love slip away......:elf2:

That is a great song.

E.S.
12-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Yeah, "Same Old Lang Syne" for me. "The snow turned into rain" line is just downright depressing.

As for "Christmas Shoes"... I've never even heard that song, unless I have and just didn't know it's name. But after reading all of the posts, I'm not sure I want to look it up.

ornamentmaven
12-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Any song that can make you feel something so deeply is a great song to me. I like both Same Old Lang Syne and The Christmas Shoes. The Christmas Shoes is a song sung by a number of artists, one of whom being Billy Ray Cyrus, about a Mother who is dying and her son who struggles to get the money to buy her a new pair of red shoes - so she can dance one last time. You should check out both the song and the movie E.S.