PDA

View Full Version : Butternut Squash

craftguy
09-30-2010, 02:57 AM
Butternut squash is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it goes great with most traditional Christmas meals. Here's what I do with mine:
Peel it, cut it up into small cubes and boil it. Its ready when you can easily stick a fork in the cubes. Now, mash it, sprinkle a small handful of chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and some pepper on each serving. That's it. Its like eating healthy candy. And if you want to give it even more goodness, sprinkle some milled flax seed on it. That may sound a little gross, but they're just ground up seed from the flax plant and they really don't have much of a taste. They do have omega 3 oils and fiber. Eat this along with your meals and you'll probably be around to celebrate lot more Christmases.:presents1:

JonahsGrammy
10-08-2011, 04:35 AM
I love butternut squash. And I just discovered it. Thanks for the recipe I cant wait to try it.
Butternut squash is one of the healthiest things you can eat, and it goes great with most traditional Christmas meals. Here's what I do with mine:
Peel it, cut it up into small cubes and boil it. Its ready when you can easily stick a fork in the cubes. Now, mash it, sprinkle a small handful of chopped walnuts, cinnamon, and some pepper on each serving. That's it. Its like eating healthy candy. And if you want to give it even more goodness, sprinkle some milled flax seed on it. That may sound a little gross, but they're just ground up seed from the flax plant and they really don't have much of a taste. They do have omega 3 oils and fiber. Eat this along with your meals and you'll probably be around to celebrate lot more Christmases.:presents1:

Christmas_mama
10-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Mmm I love butternut squash. Butternut squash soup is devine and an awesome autumn food, too :-)

It's also nice bbq'd but not really something to try this season! :santahat: Thanks for the recipe craftguy :elf3:

craftguy
10-09-2011, 02:42 AM
My newest recipe for butternut squash is to eliminate the flax seed and instead I put a small pinch of cloves with the cinnamon, pepper, and walnuts and I use these things very sparingly because the butternut squash is delicious even by itself.

Please let me know any recipes you have that use healthful ingredients.

Not Long Until Christmas
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I love butternut squash - it's great with sweet or savoury.