PDA

View Full Version : Worst Gift!

Samantha Jaim
09-24-2010, 04:27 PM
What's the worst gift you have received ever on Christmas day?

I mean, is there really a gift that's bad enough to take? despite the effort put into it? :presents2:

Xmas Annie
09-25-2010, 02:10 AM
I am the Santa of the family, so I never expect presents from anyone... A few years ago, I took my Aunt shopping (she has impeccable taste, but a sharp tongue) and I wrapped the many gorgeous scarves, jewelry and trinkets for all of her friends and remote acquaintances... I helped my Aunt straighten up her house and clean-out her junk drawers of useless garbage she insisted I pitch in the trash bin. There was nothing salvageable: rotted rubber bands, old pencils, nuts, bolts, paper clips, bits of wire - junk... Guess what I got wrapped in a pretty silver foil paper? The junk drawer contents from the trash bin... If its truly the thought that counts, then the "thought" was unpleasant...

ChristmasKatie
09-25-2010, 04:34 AM
a pink and white polka dot shower cap with an orange flower stuck in it from a distant aunt...

i was 15 at the time and have never used a shower cap in my LIFE!
still, i used it to play a prank on my brother after christmas dinner, he fell asleep so i popped it on him and took lots of photos :p

Samantha Jaim
09-26-2010, 10:49 PM
I am the Santa of the family, so I never expect presents from anyone... A few years ago, I took my Aunt shopping (she has impeccable taste, but a sharp tongue) and I wrapped the many gorgeous scarves, jewelry and trinkets for all of her friends and remote acquaintances... I helped my Aunt straighten up her house and clean-out her junk drawers of useless garbage she insisted I pitch in the trash bin. There was nothing salvageable: rotted rubber bands, old pencils, nuts, bolts, paper clips, bits of wire - junk... Guess what I got wrapped in a pretty silver foil paper? The junk drawer contents from the trash bin... If its truly the thought that counts, then the "thought" was unpleasant...

:presents2: maybe she wanted to thank you for helping her. and one way for you to realize your worth is to give you a piece of what you did.. the junk! :elf1:

Samantha Jaim
09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
a pink and white polka dot shower cap with an orange flower stuck in it from a distant aunt...

i was 15 at the time and have never used a shower cap in my LIFE!
still, i used it to play a prank on my brother after christmas dinner, he fell asleep so i popped it on him and took lots of photos :p

:dizzy: hehehe. that's what we call brotherly love :yahoo:

Holiday Mom
09-26-2010, 11:09 PM
I have two worst gifts.

One was the dreaded kitten sweater that I recieved from my ex-husband's grandparents when we were first married. It was hideous, and as I believe that the only pets worth having are dogs and horses, it really didn't suit me. Plus it was two sizes too big.

The second worst gift was from my ex-husband himself. A can of woodstain, sandpaper and the declaration that he was going to refinish my antique vanity table himself. He's not a handy man, nor has he ever worked with antiques - it was one of those gifts where you just knew he had run out of time and ran into Canadian Tire hoping to find something, anything for a gift. I kills that I had bought him a bunch of well thought out, pricey gifts that year. He never did refinish my vanity, and I think I still have that woodstain, unopened, in my basement.

Fezziwig
10-23-2010, 06:54 AM

I don't understand, your Aunt wrapped up her trash and gave it to you as a present on Christmas? Was it a joke? Did she later give you a 'real' present? I think that if a relative did something like that to me it would take some real restraint not to ruin Christmas right then and there by telling her to " *BLEEP* off. " One way or another I am pretty sure I would never speak to that aunt again .. I'm Italian we're good at ostracizing family members.

taja609
11-02-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think there's such thing as bad gift, after all any gift involves an effort and this effort means love or appreciation..
right now I'm thinking that somehow inappropriate would be not buying each of your family members one (like I am doing the collective gift thing) and I say that because I'm on a budget for this Christmas shopping.
However, if you afford it you can make everyone happy :santa1:

MinnesotaMike
11-02-2010, 09:47 PM
I can't think of one. However, I can think of the worst gift I ever gave. My wife was in her last year of law school, and she had said when she was done, she wanted to get a cat. I thought it would be a cool idea to surprise her...not with a cat, but with all the stuff she would need when she finally got one. SO, the genius that I am...I wrapped up a litter box, pooper scooper, and a huge tub of kitty litter!! Needless to say, it went over like a fart in church. Eventually, she understood my intent, but it was easily the worst gift I ever gave. :(

ornamentmaven
11-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Nothing really, really terrible stands out!

janefuller
11-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I got a toilet descaler and a tea towel from my mother-in-law last year. I think that's pretty bad!

ornamentmaven
11-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Ha ha - that is bad!

MinnesotaMike
11-05-2010, 06:18 AM
I got a toilet descaler and a tea towel from my mother-in-law last year. I think that's pretty bad!

I don't even know what that is...but it doesn't sound good.

Daddy
11-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Well, the two worst gifts I ever received come to mind. :presents1:

When I was about 14 years old, my stepmother gave me a hideous light blue sweatshirt that looked completely unlike anything I ever wore. It annoyed me a bit because there was clearly no thought behind it--you just had to see it to know it came from the bargain bin. It was weird because she generally gave pretty cool gifts. I wanted to express gratitude without lying, so when she asked if I like it I smiled and said "This will keep me warm!" I wore it once when my mother's apartment was really cold, but every time I passed a mirror I felt stupid, so I never wore it again.

The other was during a secret Santa exchange at work a few years ago. A co-worker got me a set of Stetson (I didn't even know they sold that anymore!) even though I'd mentioned on many occasions at work that I stopped wearing cologne over ten years ago. He was a really nice guy so I did my best to convince him that I loved it, though.

Ren Hyde
11-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi friend,
By far the worst holiday gifts idea is a Christmas present that is designed to hint at something that you think the recipient should improve upon or change in their life. The main culprits in this area are weight loss gifts. Although you may feel that the holiday gift of some weight loss program shows how much you care about the other person and that you want them to feel better about themselves and improve their health, it will not be perceived as such by the recipient. A gift such as this simply means that you think the other person is not good enough and that there is something wrong with them. If an area of someone's life needs improvement, they need to come to this realization themselves without any "help" from you.

Thanks
triflerecipecards.com

MinnesotaMike
11-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah...I couldn't imagine ever giving anyone a gift like that.

Daddy
11-10-2010, 02:48 PM
What a terrible gift idea! Who could be so rude at Christmas time?

SilverBells
11-10-2010, 03:44 PM
What a terrible gift idea! Who could be so rude at Christmas time?

The one that gave me a t-shirt with Mo for Christmas :mad:

GeorgeW
11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Once I received a horrible photo frame from my ex BF. He probably didn’t appreciate me ((

BirdMan24
11-18-2010, 05:28 AM
The worst gives i use to get were those Members Only jackets... Got one every year from the age of 6 until about 16... just different colors every year..

MinnesotaMike
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
The worst gives i use to get were those Members Only jackets... Got one every year from the age of 6 until about 16... just different colors every year..

You could probably sell those babies on Ebay for a few bucks!!

jgnargnar
11-21-2010, 06:56 AM
worst gifts always come from my aunt. she sucks at shopping.

Panda
11-21-2010, 09:29 PM
All gifts make me happy !! Unless its alcohol related because I hate drinking haha sorry people who like to drink =P I'm just one of those people who get drunk easily and I don't even feel good I just feel sick =X

MinnesotaMike
11-21-2010, 11:28 PM
My dad always insisted on going out and buying at least ONE thing that was specifically from him every year (otherwise my mom did all the buying and wrapping). He totally sucked at it, but I always appreciated the fact that he would do it all on his own. His rule was "no requests". He just wanted to go out and get what he thought everyone might like. I have kind of adopted that philosophy as well. I might suck at picking out something, but it's all about the thought and effort. If someone has a problem with that, then they are totally missing the true spirit of gift-giving at Christmas.

ornamentmaven
11-22-2010, 03:29 AM
Funny Mike - are you sure your not my brother (I do have brother named Mike)! My Dad lways bought us one gift that was just from him and my Mom bought everything else!

MinnesotaMike
11-22-2010, 06:38 AM
It was usually something completely random, but I knew he put some thought into it.

ornamentmaven
11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
It always felt special because it was rare to get a gift from him. Now I really apprecite all the work Mom did shopping for Christmas!

segoviaandres
12-19-2010, 05:45 AM
a sit-up bench...just when I am enjoying the holiday's excessive goodies, I start feeling guilty about weight gain.

jeremy m
12-19-2010, 06:53 AM
my worst gift(s)...

mainly not getting what i asked for...period..

who cares anyways,i usally buy something i want without mom/dad knowing(behind their backs) on normal basis(seriously).

i'm very picky person on everything..period

MinnesotaMike
12-22-2010, 07:17 AM
I've gotten gifts that I simply had no use for, but I still appreciate the gesture of gift-giving. I'm easy to buy for that way. I've exchanged clothing for correct sizes, but never just simply returned a gift.