PDA

View Full Version : Do your neighbours decorate their houses?

MissSantaClaus
09-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Do your neighbours decorate their houses or are you the only 'Griswold' in the street ?

Moley
09-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Mine does! Come December he lights his house with stirngs of lights and has has a herd of those animatronic wireframe reindeer with nodding heads scattered on his lawn! He does this to celebrate another year that he has survived his serious cancer, but I'm glad that I don't have to pay his energy bill!

*Snowflake*
09-10-2010, 06:28 PM
yes and sometimes too much.I feel like they want to compete who has better decorations what"s absolutely wrong.

ornamentmaven
09-10-2010, 11:39 PM
I live on a dead end street of about 20 houses. I would say 15 of them decorate quite heavily. Only the jewish family, the two houses on the end and two senior citizens don't decorate!

Moley
09-11-2010, 05:34 PM
It depends where you live. I live some ten miles away from Leigh Park, one of the biggest social housing estates in the UK, and at night during the festive season the gaudy decorations must be visible from space! Then further at the 'posh' end of our village, the residents make an effort to decorate their garden trees and shrubs in a tasteful way, so it seems that both extremes of the social scale decorate their houses but for different reasons.

ornamentmaven
09-12-2010, 03:15 AM
The same is true in the US. The wealthy neighborhoods tend to use less lights and stay with clear lights

Elf_Erv
09-12-2010, 09:07 AM
only a couple homes on my street decorate their homes, one never uses any lights only things she makes herself which I think is fine

SilverBells
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I know we have the most lights in my neighbourhood, just white ones but nothing too extravagant.

Emilia
10-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Do your neighbours decorate their houses or are you the only 'Griswold' in the street ?
Heheh, not like "Griswold" but almost. :D
In our neighbour there are just few christmas lights in bushes and trees etc., and also snow lanterns too.

ornamentmaven
10-26-2010, 12:22 AM
People go pretty wild with lights in our neighborhood, but none to the extent of the Griswolds. The latest trend in our area is heavily decorating for Halloween. It used to be just a jack-o-lantern, but now many people go all out with inflatables, grave stones, wind sox, scarecrows and orange and purple lights! On Halloween night when he kids are out trick-or-treating, many people set up living displays to entertain the kids!

MinnesotaMike
11-02-2010, 03:38 AM
I am the only one on my block who does any outside lighting. This will be my 3rd year, and it's just growing and growing. I have added a couple more blow molds, 2 more sets of icicle lights, a new walkway string, and new LED bush nets. I already have my plans for 2011...just need to save some more money!!

ladyice
11-02-2010, 03:58 AM
Some do.. nearly everyone puts candles in their windows and wreath on the door... after that, some really go all out and decorate roofs and windows, yards ect

taja609
11-02-2010, 04:27 AM
Unfortunately for me, my neighbours don't decorate their houses like they should...I mean there's not much Christmas spirit on my street and for me that's a bit sad to see while I'm calling on my two sisters at least 3 days before to come and help me out with making my house look nice and jolly :christmastree: :snowman:

SilverBells
11-02-2010, 03:32 PM
We have the most lights in my neiborhood. I wish that there were more. :christmastree:

iluvdaholidays
11-03-2010, 07:58 AM
When I was driving to the store last night, one of my neighbors had a lit plastic snowman on their lawn. My first decoration sighting of the season! I'm rigging up the lights on the carport this weekend!

ornamentmaven
11-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Almost every neighbor puts up some lights!

ladyice
11-04-2010, 01:36 AM
When I was driving to the store last night, one of my neighbors had a lit plastic snowman on their lawn. My first decoration sighting of the season! I'm rigging up the lights on the carport this weekend!

the sightings are starting! I haven't seen any yet but expect too in the next week or so... def by the weekend of 11/14

MinnesotaMike
11-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Mine won't be LIT until Thanksgiving night (Nov.25th), but I'm hanging everything THIS weekend.

ornamentmaven
11-04-2010, 01:53 AM
I love that my neighbors decorate to the extent that they do. We are on a dead end street at the end of a development - so we really just decorate for each other. We also live in a mainly Christian village but very near several towns that are predominatelty Jewish. Our county (Rockland) is about 30% Jewish. We have a very large Hasidic and Orthodox population - as well as Reformed. The Christians who live in those neighborhoods are outnumbered by about 1 house to every 50. Its funny because they must really want to be noticed, because they dec out their houses to the extreme at Christmas time~!

domoMKIV
11-27-2010, 09:09 AM
A few of them do. Nothing too crazy though.

MinnesotaMike
11-27-2010, 10:15 PM
I saw a house a couple down from us has put up a strand of lights on their door. That's it so far though.

ornamentmaven
11-28-2010, 04:00 AM
I think people here decorate outside to a greater extent than they do in upstate New York.

ldiliberto
11-13-2012, 05:25 PM
My old neighborhood was Blah, bunch of older people that did not want to decorate, but my new neighborhood has tons of homes decorated like the griswalds. love it

MinnesotaMike
11-13-2012, 07:22 PM
We have a newer couple across the street. They put up a couple things, but nothing major. I think I intimidate others from outdoor decorating.

Merry Christmas Darling
11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't think I've ever seen this thread before. When we bought our house and moved in, the people across the street had really nice outdoor decorations. They later sold the house and for a year or two there were no decorations there. The house sold again. The people who live there now have a lighted wreath and tree; the tree keeps blowing over.

The people next door to them have the most decorations but they haven't become extravagant. Nevertheless, I enjoy what they do have. I'll have to take another picture this year because I don't know what happened to last year's.

LollipopPugs
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
We just moved to this neighborhood over the summer so, I'm not too sure yet. Based on what was done for Halloween, my guess might be that they won't do much. But, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a few do. A little wreath on the front door to an all out yard and house display... I like it all! :christmastree:

ornamentmaven
11-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Most of the people in our neighborhood decorate outside which is pretty amazing considering it is a dead end street on the top of a hill! This year we have two new neighbors, so we'll see what they do for Christmas. Both of them decorated with lights for Halloween so I am very hopeful!

ornamentmaven
11-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention, a house a few blocks away is fully decorated and all lit up for the last few days! They even have their tree up in the front window

Sam the snowman
11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
I got new neighbours next door and across the street so I will have to see...on that note I put up my outside decorations and did some on the inside of my house...

Merry Christmas Darling
11-18-2012, 02:07 AM
I got new neighbours next door and across the street so I will have to see...on that note I put up my outside decorations and did some on the inside of my house...

That's hard to read! Try this:

"I got new neighbours next door and across the street so I will have to see...on that note I put up my outside decorations and did some on the inside of my house..."

Sam the snowman
11-18-2012, 04:18 PM
Yup, Sorry..picked the wrong green. :xmaswink:

ChristmasFairy
11-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Not an awful lot ... most though at least place a wreath on the front door but the ones who used to decorate with lights etc. have since moved in the last couple of years

Merry Christmas Darling
11-22-2012, 12:51 AM
I saw a neighbor decorating the outside of her house today!

steph535
11-22-2012, 02:18 AM
My daughter and I went out shopping for a couple/few hours and when we just came home, the apartment manager had her tree in her window AND two of our neighbor had decorations and/or Christmas lights outside their apartments!!!!! I had the Roger Wagner Chorale playing in the car. What could be better than that??!

ornamentmaven
11-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Almost all of my neighbors decorate outside! I live on a dead end street so the two houses on the very end do not decorate. There is also an elderly couple, and of course, the Jewish family who don't decorate!