PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Christmas

Myy79
09-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Here all about Finnish Christmas. :waving:

steph535
09-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Hello Myy79 and welcome! Can you tell us about Christmas in Finland? What makes it extra special for you? What are your customs?

SilverBells
09-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I'd also like to know. And Myy79 :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Myy79
09-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Thank you for your warm welcome.

Well, here Finland christmastime starts after first advent. Usually then people starts to put lights outside and windows. But i think here we enjoy christmas mostly in christmasdays.

Here santa claus comes in christmas eve, so that day is THE day. In my family, we go to the sauna at first in morning and after that we eat riceporridge with plumsoup. at midday we listen to radio or watch tv, when there starts reclaim of christmaspeace. After that we bring christmastree inside and start to decorate it.

In evening there is christmasdinner with many finnish traditionell christmasfood. After that we go to the sauna again and after that comes santa claus. Then we have coffee or tee or "glögi" and look presents we got and having a nice time with our family.

In first christmasday we spend time inside watching tv, listening radio and having fun with our family. in 3rd christmasday (tapaninpäivä in Fnnish) is usually day, when we are having visitors or we are going to visit some friends or relatives.

This is just how we have Christmas in our family, but i think it is same kind many other families too.

*Snowflake*
09-07-2010, 03:47 AM
This is so lovely:presents2:
So in Finland is usual that people have sauna?

SilverBells
09-07-2010, 04:03 AM
I'd love to have a sauna of my own :elf3:

Myy79
09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes, nearly all haves sauna. And for example my parents, they have two saunas. One in the house and one out. And we usually use that sauna which is out, becouse atmosphere outside is different (no electricity, no shower).

Just imagine dark christmasevemorning, path in snow to the sauna. Close to path is big icelanterns candels inside. In sauna is also just lanterns, quiet and calm and in sauna heater has living fire. Ah, just can't wait!!

SilverBells
09-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, nearly all haves sauna. And for example my parents, they have two saunas. One in the house and one out. And we usually use that sauna which is out, becouse atmosphere outside is different (no electricity, no shower).

Just imagine dark christmasevemorning, path in snow to the sauna. Close to path is big icelanterns candels inside. In sauna is also just lanterns, quiet and calm and in sauna heater has living fire. Ah, just can't wait!!

Myy79 you are descibing a dream. Wow how wonderful is that!!! WOW :elf3:

Myy79
09-07-2010, 03:55 PM
TIATIA: Welcome to Finland in wintertime. :elf1:

*Snowflake*
09-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Wow I love it,it sounds so good.You"re so lucky.:elf1:
Have you ever been to Rovaniemi?

Myy79
09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Snowflake: Sauna is almost self-evidence, so if here somebody has not sauna it is what we wonder. :elf1:

And no, i have not visited Rovaniemi yet. But maybe this autumn or next summer we will visit santa park etc. with our babygirl. From here is ab 300km to Rovaniemi.

SilverBells
09-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Snowflake: Sauna is almost self-evidence, so if here somebody has not sauna it is what we wonder. :elf1:

And no, i have not visited Rovaniemi yet. But maybe this autumn or next summer we will visit santa park etc. with our babygirl. From here is ab 300km to Rovaniemi.

I've only visited their live cam. I'd really like to take my family there. How old is your baby girl? smitten:

Myy79
09-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Welcome. I promise to introduce some places if you are coming. :elf1:

Heta is 5 months old. In my album is couple of photos about her.

olga
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Welcome home, dear friend!!! :dance:
Thanks for sharing all those beautiful infos about whats Christmas like in Finland.. :santa:
Well, in the middle of winter, daytime is very short and in the south of the country, daylight in December lasts only for 6 hours...
How do Finnish people deal with that??? :elf2: Isnt it a little difficult?

:merrychristmas:

*Snowflake*
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM

so it"s tradition:santa:
I want to go there too,it has to be magical:rudolph:

Myy79
09-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Snowflake: yes, you can say that it's traditional. :waving:

I would like to visit Greece some time. I have drive through Greece when my husband came back from Kosovo. There is beautiful views.

SilverBells
09-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Welcome. I promise to introduce some places if you are coming. :elf1:

Heta is 5 months old. In my album is couple of photos about her.

Gorgeous baby. :elf3: And those eyes. I bet you are a proud mama. :smitten:

I will definately visit Finland in the future. And I'll hold you to your promise :)

katsuja
10-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Nice, other Finnish here :elf1:

Emilia
10-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Greetings from Eastern Finland too!:waving:

SilverBells
10-25-2010, 02:34 PM

Hi Emilia :welcome::welcome::welcome:

Emilia
10-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Emilia :welcome::welcome::welcome:
Hi there! And thank you. :)

Myy79
11-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Hi you Emilia and katsuja! nice to have other Finnish people here! maybe we know each other at Finnish Christmas forum?

olga
11-04-2010, 03:50 PM

A very merry :welcome: to you!!!!

Merry Christmas Darling
11-06-2010, 11:47 PM

Wow! That's scary to me! Do you wear warm clothes while you walk to the sauna?

I'm glad to have you here! I don't know enough about Finland.

Emilia
11-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Thanks MYY79 and olga! :waving:

@ Marshmallow World

Here are few links which tells you something about Finland if you're interested.:kinky elf:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland

http://www.visitfinland.com/en_GB/web/guest/finland-guide/home
(more languages up right corner)

http://finland.fi/public/

Emilia
10-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Our first snow this morning in Eastern Finland, North Karelia:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/304026_10150358002728486_678538485_8091063_1086827 746_n.jpg

:snowman:

olga
10-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Is this your home, Emilia???????? :kinky elf:

Emilia
10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Well that's a horse stable, and next to that is a very lovely old mansion. :) That's located quite close to our home. Wish it was mine though. :D

tlazer
12-01-2011, 12:23 PM
That sounds like my kind of place to be Christmas time. Can you share with us a Finnish cookie recipe you would make that time of year?:santa1:

mina553
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
it sounds like a dream like a storey i get a very cosy feeling listening to you discribe the sauns & lanters I had rice porrage once i loved it very tasty . i would love to visit your country for christmas .

jessicayy
12-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Christmas is around the corner,i am looking forward to some surprises (http://www.newfrog.com/special/christmas/index.html).

tlazer
11-14-2013, 10:26 PM
I know Glo is an alcoholic drink but how is it made?

mina553
11-15-2013, 02:33 AM
I know Glo is an alcoholic drink but how is it made?

And some one took my address last year to send me a post card N I never got it .
No problem Iam waiting to see the response I get to my return..
But hi every one its almost the most beautiful time of the year .

steph535
11-15-2013, 02:35 AM
And some one took my address last year to send me a post card N I never got it .
No problem Iam waiting to see the response I get to my return..
But hi every one its almost the most beautiful time of the year .

Mina!!!!! So good to see you!!!! I've wondered where and how you've been:waving:

baylisjae
08-30-2021, 08:27 PM
Can you tell us about Christmas in Finland?