PDA

View Full Version : Your Decorations

stephmcuk
08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
How would you describe your decorations?

I was talking with my mum about christmas decorations and hers are very modern and non traditional, she does not like father christmas so she has no pictures of him no models etc in the house....its all snow flakes/white and more what i would call winter wonderland style.

My b/f mum is very traditional and has no lights on her tree just older baubles and older decorations around the house.

I think mine are a mix of the two. which do you think feels more christmassy?:tree1:

tinkerbell2
08-17-2010, 11:33 PM
How would you describe your decorations?

I was talking with my mum about christmas decorations and hers are very modern and non traditional, she does not like father christmas so she has no pictures of him no models etc in the house....its all snow flakes/white and more what i would call winter wonderland style.

My b/f mum is very traditional and has no lights on her tree just older baubles and older decorations around the house.

I think mine are a mix of the two. which do you think feels more christmassy?:tree1:

Well you can see mine in my albums...but I like the winter wonderland look and

a kiddie look in the kitchen......:christmastree:

ornamentmaven
08-18-2010, 08:43 AM
I love anything and everything - especially doll ornaments

littlestar
08-29-2010, 02:26 PM
My decorations are a bit of everything. Old, new, different colors, etc.

I've been reading about themes. And its something I really want to start doing. I guess the easiest would be to do a color theme. But I want to work up to trying a rustic theme and a Victorian theme. They both sound fabulous.

littlestar
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
My favorite table decoration is a salt & pepper shaker set in the image of Father and Mother Christmas. They have been celebrating Christmas with us for years!

olga
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Im away too much traditional.. :elf1:

Like old fashioned Christmas and Im a huge fan of red and green colors,
I love red bows all over the place I decorate and I also hang lots of candy canes and Christmas cards on the tree.
I like old toys, I always place a nativity scene under the tree and I also love trains under the tree..

Christmas and the Holiday season brings to me back memories of times past.
Well, I think, many things, such as decorations, are based on the traditions of my parents and of course, their parents. :santa:

Elizah
10-07-2010, 04:52 PM

I love red bows all over the place I decorate and I also hang lots of candy canes and Christmas cards on the tree.
I like old toys, I always place a nativity scene under the tree and I also love trains under the tree..

Well, I think, many things, such as decorations, are based on the traditions of my parents and of course, their parents. :santa:

Am pretty traditional myself :) I love getting Christmas cards, and writing personal greetings for my friends. And toys too. I'm a big woman trapped in a girl's body!

olga
10-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Am pretty traditional myself :) I love getting Christmas cards, and writing personal greetings for my friends. And toys too. I'm a big woman trapped in a girl's body!

You could not say it better, Eliza!!! :santa:

HolidaySingleGirl
10-11-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm also traditional-love the red and green. But to match my living room decor, I've opted to go with an overall gold theme, although I also have more traditional decorations I use as well.

Mary Angeldog
10-15-2010, 01:13 AM
I like all kinds of Christmas themes abd colors. I'm so indecisive so I use various themes and colors in different parts of my house. The foyer is a winter wonderland white. The dining room is more formal red velvet ribbon and shiney blown glass and gold ornaments. The kitchem is mostly food-type ornaments on a big wreath in the window and christmas towels and potholders. I put out many old toys, old cards sent to family in the 30's and 40's and family pictures(me with Santa etc) in the guest bedroom.The ornaments on the small tree in there are characters from children's books and movies. And since I can't make up my mind what I like best, the living room tree alternates 4 different themes through the years: Natural rustic with cloth wood and pottery ornaments and wooden "cranberry" garland and colored lights ; a glacial nordic theme with white, crystal and red and white ornaments and a white pearl garland and white lights; "mod" mid century whimsical ornaments in turquoise, chartreuse, royal and some fushia and of course a traditional shiney red and green and gold tree. I guess my decorations would be described as a little bit of everything.

*Snowflake*
10-16-2010, 02:24 AM

I am very traditional too =)) I like red and green colors and I"m not really a fan of blue or purple decorations.We also always have nativity scene and we always go to the church:rudolph:Love decorations from wood and things that look like old,if you uderstand what I mean ;) On Christmas Eve I bake cookies:santa:

EllfGirl
10-16-2010, 02:31 AM
I use all kinds of decorations, in different colors:christmastree::santa:

lynnenc
11-07-2010, 01:45 PM
basically traditional with a whole lot of Victorian and Country mixed in. I put up about 13 themed trees but none of them would be considered modern. My very favorite is a 6ft tree that with the exception of the lights is completely family only hand made ornaments that covers over 46 years of handmade ornaments - to me you can't get anymore traditional than that ......

Lynne:christmastree:

ornamentmaven
11-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Lynn - 13 trees! You must posts some pictures

lynnenc
11-08-2010, 05:21 AM
Lynn - 13 trees! You must posts some pictures

oh I will - I got the idea of multiple themed trees from this forum and another holiday decorating forum that I am on and I just got a little carried away:elf1: Didn't get any pictures posted last year but hope to get a lot posted this year .....

Lynne :christmastree:

tinkerbell2
11-08-2010, 06:11 AM
basically traditional with a whole lot of Victorian and Country mixed in. I put up about 13 themed trees but none of them would be considered modern. My very favorite is a 6ft tree that with the exception of the lights is completely family only hand made ornaments that covers over 46 years of handmade ornaments - to me you can't get anymore traditional than that ......

Lynne:christmastree:

Wow, you must post some photo's.....:elf1: please...:elf1::elf1:

Donna-50
11-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I do one with all the ornaments that we have collected through the years and a smaller skinnier one that I do with a theme. One year I had all teal and orange but the kids didn't like it because they said it didn't feel like Christmas. Last year I did different color jewel tones and they liked that so I will probably do that again. I use to put up another smaller tree in the dining room but don't do that any more. I just decorate the chandelier and table instead.

Papa_Christmas
11-08-2010, 10:42 AM
I guess you could classify my decorations as extreme traditional. Santas, Snow people, Nutcrackers, Angels lots of colored lights and of course plenty of trains.:elf3:

ornamentmaven
11-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Three trees here! I love my traditional tree the best! Also do a white tree with all blue decs and a small tree with mini decs.
If I change anything it ould be the blue decs on the white tree. What color would be nice???

MinnesotaMike
11-08-2010, 11:02 PM
I'm all about the classic look. We prefer decorations that harken back to days gone by. I think it stems from a deep-rooted affinity for when times were simpler.

Stargemini2590
11-25-2010, 02:06 PM
I'm going to be posting pictures soon of my tree this year, but one decoration I am absolutely in LOVE with is this Original Popcorn On A String that I found online last season. It brings out this old-fashioned/traditional feeling and it looks great! It's wax-coated so it stays preserved, and they are the biggest kernels of popcorn I've ever seen! I'm never stringing popcorn again!!! They have original plain garland and then also Jingle Berry which looks cute but I didn't buy those (YET)

jeremy m
11-25-2010, 03:52 PM
mine is vintage/new

MinnesotaMike
11-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I like stuff that reminds me of my childhood.

steph535
11-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I like stuff that reminds me of my childhood.

Me too, Mike. I wish I could find any that are like my old favorites from my childhood, but they are not made anymore. I don't know how accurate this is, but my mother says they were made in Germany many years ago and that the artisans who made them were exterminated during WWII. They were one of the few things I really wanted my mother to pass down to me. She doesn't have them any more, either, because after she moved 20-some years ago, she packed them away for storage in a barn and they were stolen. I have looked many times on ebay for any of them. I have found some very beautiful ornaments and decorations over the past few decades that I enjoy very much, of course, but I would so love to see those old ornaments again.