PDA

View Full Version : Gift Cards - Acceptable or a cop out?

mysterymaiden
07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Hey all! What are your opinions on Gift Cards - are they an acceptable present, or a bit of a cop out?

kam1187
07-17-2010, 04:38 AM
I love gift cards! In addition to other gifts I ask for, my boyfriend and I always ask for gift cards to places we shop often-BJs, Walmart, Stop and Shop. I dont think theres anything wrong with giving gift cards as long as you know they love to shop there, or if they ask for one.

ornamentmaven
07-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Not a cop out. People would rather use a gift card to buy something they want than to have to return something they don't!

SilverBells
07-18-2010, 03:08 AM
Last Christmas I sent to my brother in-law, who lives in the US, a golf gift card and he was very happy about it. He got what he wanted and I was happy for him. When you care but you are not sure what to get, it shows consideration, not an easy way out.:presents2:

HollyJolly
07-19-2010, 10:29 PM
I love gift cards and I think they are better than just giving money...this way you show them that you know where they like to shop even if you are not sure what to buy...that way you know they will like what they get...gift cards are great! :rudolph:

mysterymaiden
07-20-2010, 09:46 PM
I LOOOOOOVE gift cards. My family thinks they're cop outs though. I think they're a double gift - first the gift the person gets, but also the exciting experience of picking something you want out and not having to pay for it yourself!

Snowden
07-20-2010, 11:55 PM
YES - in favor of gift cards. Easy to mail, fun to get, and can be a thoughtful gift IF you consider the needs and shoppes in the area of the recipient. My in-laws send restaurant cards from places in their area, but we don't have that restaurant chain anywhere near us - that gets complicated... I think restaurant cards are nice - its a nice gift to be given a night out.

SilverBells
07-21-2010, 04:15 AM
I LOOOOOOVE gift cards. I think they're a double gift - first the gift the person gets, but also the exciting experience of picking something you want out and not having to pay for it yourself!

I so agree with you :elf3:

Panda
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Lots of people think they are not thoughtful gifts because your not actually picking the gift yourself, but personally, I LOVE GIFT CARDS !! I actually wished more people would get me those so I can choose what I want from the store/mall myself. I'm eyeing soo many things right now !! =[ haha

MinnesotaMike
11-21-2010, 11:32 PM
I call it a "safe bet". Always good for someone who you are having a tough time with.

JollyElfDC
11-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I think it depends, but they can be a great gift. I've only ever given the movie gift cards myself, and I've only done that twice.

One year I gave a movie gift card to a friend who's life wasn't going very well. She had two small children, was very tight for cash and living with her ex-inlaws (It's a long story). It didn't cost me much money, but if I had just given her 20 dollars or so, she just would have spent it on diapers or what ever. This way I was able to give her an much deserved evening out, and she really appreciated it! She told me it was the best gift she got.:yahoo:

Jordan
11-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Seems I'm the only one here who isn't a big fan of gift cards. I kinda see them as a cop-out, though I understand sometimes there are just no other options. Still, I would rather put the effort into giving something tangible. Seeing a pile of gift cards under the tree just doesn't do it for me.:christmastree:

MinnesotaMike
11-22-2010, 02:14 AM
I don't think anyone's talking about a "pile" of gift cards. Just a nice option for the person you can't seem to find anything for.

ornamentmaven
11-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Gift cards are especially great for teenagers to purchase clothing with. You can never quite get those purchases right!

SilverBells
11-22-2010, 04:53 AM
I wouldn't mind getting a couple this Christmas :presents1:

MinnesotaMike
11-22-2010, 06:40 AM
A gift card to the right store is always a winner. Example: I have a friend who does model trains, and there is a specific store he likes to get things from. A gift card is the best solution.

SnowAngel
11-24-2010, 04:02 AM
I don't like them because you can't wrap them in a decent size box. It's all about presentation:)

MinnesotaMike
11-25-2010, 08:18 AM
I don't like them because you can't wrap them in a decent size box. It's all about presentation:)

I completely disagree. You can wrap them in whatever size box you choose! In fact, I always do that if I'm giving a gift card, just to throw them off the scent. :elf3:

ornamentmaven
11-28-2010, 04:37 AM
I do the same thing Mike. I like to wrap gift cards in different sized boxes.

kb86
11-28-2010, 02:04 PM
My sisters and I always exchange gift cards because we have such different tastes that we can NEVER get anything for each other that the other will actually like. I think a gift-card is thoughtful because it shows you put some thought into it (like the specific store you got the card from) but that you are allowing the person to get something they would like. I wouldn't recommend this for significant others because often, gifts are a statement on the relationship!

ChristmasIsland
11-29-2010, 02:21 PM
I recommend a Victoria's Secret Gift Card for ladies.

I got my gf one and it was...appreciated. By us both.

Oh yeah.